Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

Just now, RiotAct said:

yep… right when you saw the players’ faces you knew that it was dire :( :( 

It was the same in the Euro soccer game last summer when the Danish player Ericksen went down in cardiac arrest. You could tell right away that it was really bad because of the shell shocked looks on the players faces.  Ericksen meanwhile not only survived but is still playing for Man United.  I hope the hospital can stabilize him!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

This is terrifying and you hope he’s going to be okay but the reality is that his brain was without oxygen for a long time. He’s being kept alive via machines and I pray for his family. 

you can also go into vfib and never lose consciousness. So there is also the reality that his brain never lost oxygen and he can be ok. There are lots of scenarios here so let’s all take a breath 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Absolutely sick for this young man and his family. Just a horrible situation to deal with and witness. We see these guys as gladiators but they are human and this just personifies it. God I hope he pulls through and is able to embrace his family again. Football isn’t even #100 on the list if importance at this point. Keep fighting #3. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ToGoGo said:

It went from "just great, Hamlin hurt himself, how are we going to finish the season with Jaquan Johnson" to "wait, Allen crying? Diggs crying? is....Hamlin not going to make it? whoaaaaaaaaa". You could feel the air get sucked out of the stadium right from the TV. 

Prayers for Hamlin. Bills players crying on the field will be the talk of the country tomorrow. The NFL won't make any decisions until we hear that Hamlin is stable. 

Yea ESPN came back from that first break and showed a replay and I was like "uh oh this is not good" and I think they realised it then as well and cut straight to another break and when they came back players were in tears.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OZBILLS said:

I am very worried. I fear this is what happened and I have seen it before too.

My best guess is that this is correct.  The Hit didnt look severe enough to cause commotio cordis, and if it did, he would have sudden vfib, and wouldnt have stood up.

I think a vascular injury, vertebral artery (neck seemed to take most of the blow) or aortic/subclavian artery rupture/dissection is most likely. Seems that he's stabilized now, but may have suffered brain injury due to cardiac arrest or hypotension. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The Dolphins, Steelers and possibly Jaguars might have something to say about the Pats game being forfeited. And the Ravens may be unimpressed if this is given to the Bengals.

But there are far more important things going on at the moment.

Depending on Hamlin's health I can see the other teams saying do whatever Buffalo thinks is best.  This isn't an office environment, these players are a tight family unit, a brotherhood, this isn't like some random guy in accounting leaving in an ambulance and asking everyone to come to work tomorrow.  I pray Hamlin recovers and that we awake to great news, and that the path ahead is clear and bright.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Again, I’d simmer with this. Refs just said “let’s do what we are trained to do in big injuries” basically and within seconds it was rectified. 

it wasn’t like some gang of guys on suits said “make them play - we need commercial revenue” 

I understand where you’re coming from, but I disagree.

Everyone immediately said to postpone. Announcers, Schefter, Florio, etc.

The NFL was the ONLY one to say take five minutes and get back to it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

Even if we forfeit, given the class the Bengals have shown, I don't think they'd want it.  Clinching the division and jumping into second seed...how do you celebrate that?  How do you take enjoyment in it?

Wining a division is an accomplishment, pop the champaign.  I can't image they'd want to get that this way.

Why are we even talking the Bills forfeiting? 

6 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

For real.

After seeing Josh, Stef, and Tre... All of the sudden it felt so serious. People get hurt all the time, but the look on their faces was pure trauma, and told you everything you needed to know.

15 mins later, after 9 mins of CPR, as he was being loaded into the ambulance, the whole country knew this game should be cancelled. It took the NFL an hour to come to the same conclusion, after trying to force the teams to play after a mere 5 minute break. My god

When they came back from the first break after Hamlin when down and Josh had his hands over his nose and mouth, I knew it way more serious than we perhaps had first thought.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

I told my son when he called me long distance to check on me, I told him honey this is just a ***** slap to the Buffalo Bills. How much more adversity does one team deserve? ackkkkkkkkkkkkk....Im bitter tonight. and sad, and MAD. 

I dont have any more words.

I’m sorry a slap in the face??? This seems absurd and ridiculous to say right now in this moment 

why are you mad… or bitter 

the Buffalo Bills don’t matter right now and every player would tell you that, the only thing that matters is Hamlin right now.. that’s it 

Edited by Jerboski
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My prayers tonight are with Hamlin and his family. I can only hope he pulls through and has a good life.  And then the Bills players as a whole (imagine what Knox is going through).     This is a complete tragedy.  

if they have to forfeit, so be it.  My heart is with Hamlin, not the playoff seeding now. 

1 minute ago, Livinginthepast said:

It was the same in the Euro soccer game last summer when the Danish player Ericksen went down in cardiac arrest. You could tell right away that it was really bad because of the shell shocked looks on the players faces.  Ericksen meanwhile not only survived but is still playing for Man United.  I hope the hospital can stabilize him!

As said, Eriksen was fully concious, breathing by himself and actually giving people the thumbs up when he left the pitch. Two very different scenarios. 🙁

Just now, Jerboski said:

I’m sorry a slap in the face 

why are you mad… or bitter 

the Buffalo Bills don’t matter right now and every player would tell you that, the only thing that matters is Hamlin right now.. that’s it 

I erased my post. Im just venting. Please delete Im sorry

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

unfortunately I have too much experience giving CPR and using an AED. The outcome majority of the time is not a positive one. I sincerely hope this is not the case. 

Yeah I've read that too. It was in regard to these medical TV shows that show doc giving CPR and patient comes back and everything is fine.  But read that in real life, much rarer outcome.

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

My best guess is that this is correct.  The Hit didnt look severe enough to cause commotio cordis, and if it did, he would have sudden vfib, and wouldnt have stood up.

I think a vascular injury, vertebral artery (neck seemed to take most of the blow) or aortic/subclavian artery rupture/dissection is most likely. Seems that he's stabilized now, but may have suffered brain injury due to cardiac arrest or hypotension. 

Very similar situation happened to an Australian cricketer, who was hit with a ball below the helmet on the side of the neck. 

It just looked the same, where he just walked away and collapsed. I pray he makes it through.

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I understand where you’re coming from, but I disagree.

Everyone immediately said to postpone. Announcers, Schefter, Florio, etc.

The NFL was the ONLY one to say take five minutes and get back to it.

Just take a look at what time the injury occurred, and what time the league called it.  It's readily apparent what the league was thinking.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

Depending on Hamlin's health I can see the other teams saying do whatever Buffalo thinks is best.  This isn't an office environment, these players are a tight family unit, a brotherhood, this isn't like some random guy in accounting leaving in an ambulance and asking everyone to come to work tomorrow.  I pray Hamlin recovers and that we awake to great news, and that the path ahead is clear and bright.

if this happened at a workplace there will not be pressure to come back to work the next day.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.