Cole situation

Italian Bills

What do you think about the Cole situation at the moment ? 

He’s got very few snaps till now, why ? Maybe he’s not ready enough ? Maybe they don’t see it good anymore ? It could be that he lost his speed ? Honestly i would love to see him more involved, because i still think that he’s one of the most talented slot player in the game. 

We need more slants and jet sweeps or short curls in our passing game, do you agree ? And i still think Cole could be our best weapon. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

He’s got very few snaps till now, why ? Maybe he’s not ready enough ? Maybe they don’t see it good anymore ? It could be that he lost his speed ? Honestly i would love to see him more involved, because i still think that he’s one of the most talented slot player in the game. 

We need more slants and jet sweeps or short curls in our passing game, do you agree ? And i still think Cole could be our best weapon. 

They’re ramping him up for the playoffs. He’ll get more targets this week and more against NE. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Think about it, Beasley is always banged up come playoff time, separated shoulder,  broken leg, ankle sprain etc.  It's a high injury position. 

Cole has nothing to prove in Buffalo.

I expect more receptions this week but nothing crazy. He can now enter the playoffs healthy...it's a BIG PLUS. Smart move

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Cole and Smoke each have one more call up before having to be signed to the 53.  So I bet each one plays one of our remaining 2 games.  Call ups are unlimited in playoffs so should be all set after the season.

Personally, I think we're giving teams more run to look at right now but we'll switch it up for the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 14

Im good with Cole so far. Work him in slowly. Get him back to playing shape and learning Dorsey’s offensive terminology. Also help to keep him off any game tape for opponents in the playoffs. He could be a lethal weapon for Josh come the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

He can't play against NE I don't think. You only get so many call ups from the practice squad 

At some point, I'm assuming they're going to move a 5th WR onto the 53. And there are a few players who would likely clear waivers, or not really be missed if they didn't.

Although, I'm wondering what the rules are once the post season starts? Do teams get a new set of call-ups?

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

At some point, I'm assuming they're going to move a 5th WR onto the 53. And there are a few players who would likely clear waivers, or not really be missed if they didn't.

Although, I'm wondering what the rules are once the post season starts? Do teams get a new set of call-ups?

Callups in the playoffs are unlimited.

I wouldnt expect all that much from Beasley.  He lost a step last year and spent most of this year playing basketball. As far as ramping him up... he had 11 snaps against Miami and only 6 against Chicago.  Thats not ramping up.  Im sure thats probably in part due to us running the football more last week.  People expecting Beasley to come in here playing like his 2020 self arent being realistic.  Its more likely to be his last year self at best where he caught the ball and fell down 2 yards short of the first down marker.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Think about it, Beasley is always banged up come playoff time, separated shoulder,  broken leg, ankle sprain etc.  It's a high injury position. 

Cole has nothing to prove in Buffalo.

I expect more receptions this week but nothing crazy. He can now enter the playoffs healthy...it's a BIG PLUS. Smart move

This is true and why I was against them keeping hom this year. He was always hurt at the end of the year. In say that I thought it was a brilliant move to bring him back for the last 7-8 games(Playoffs included).

1 hour ago, MPL said:

Aside from his two-week stint with the Bucs, dude has spent the last 10 months only playing pickup basketball. He wasn't going to come in and immediately see 40 snaps a game. 

Cole stated that playing basketball kept him in better shape than football. Apparently he never picked up a football in his first 6 offseasons and only played basketball for his training.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/26/2022 at 5:39 PM, Airseven said:

This game will crystallize all the Bills’ issues. The issues that get rightfully nitpicked even when they’ve escaped with W’s. Compound whammy dropping to #3 seed.

Bills 20

Bengals 37

The Bills are saving him to be a weapon in the post season.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Yes, and they aren't limited to 3

18 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

HOLY CRAP?!?!? WE SIGNED COLE BEASLEY BACK?!?!?! REJOICE, WE ARE SAVED!!!

Im not sure how, but I seemed to have missed the 27 other threads where this is being discussed. Luckily, I stumbled onto this one and am now caught up....

Not so fast.

I think we've only scratched the surface on this topic.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Both Cole and Smoke were desperation moves (smart desperation moves but moves made out of desperation) and given that both guys were off the scrap head I think they are just working both of them in slowly for a playoff run esp Cole who has more of a niche in the offense as there really is no true slot WR on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

There is no "Cole Situation".  He is on the practice squad because we only have 4 WR on the active roster, and we think he can help the team more than other practice squad WR like Tanner Gentry or KeSean Johnson or even, for the last couple games, John Brown.

He's been called upon for 2 regular season games and has one more "free call up" left.  He got a few less snaps last week against the Bears than the previous week against the Dolphins, likely because we were running a lot against the Bears and he's not a good blocking WR.  (Isaiah McKenzie got fewer snaps than normal as well, likely for the same reason).

In the playoffs, there are unlimited practice squad call ups, so the team will be able to call him up for every game where they think he might help

Where we've had problems with jet sweeps, the problems have typically been with blocking at the line and downfield, causing the sweep to be stuffed in the backfield -not with the player running the sweep be it McKenzie, Hines, or Diggs.  Beasley doesn't help that.

Edited by Beck Water

Yes, they don't see it good anymore Star Trek Lol GIF by HULU

• Haha (+1) 1

He's gonna come through for us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

The offense has changed from last year, so he needs to get up to speed, all while the team is focused on each next game, even though he used to be in the team it was under Daboll.

Considering you are an Italian Bills fan, think of getting a new guy up to speed like this...

It's like cooking risotto, you can't rush it or it doesn't come out right, and no matter how quick you want to cook it you need to take your time.  You got your broth simmering, which is our playbook, then you got the risotto which is Beasley. 

First we need to put some oil in the pan and cook some shallots or whatever else you want to go in. You get that going in the pan first -- that's calling his agent for a deal. 

Next, we add the aborio rice and toast it, this is getting Beasley acclimated to the staff and his new team mates. 

Now we got the broth simmering, the playbook. We can't add it all at once,  we need to scoop it in ladel by ladel, and we need to keep mixing the rice (which is the equivalent of practice). After about 40+ minutes of ladeling in broth (playbook) a cup at a time while mixing (practice), we are looking good. 

Now we add in some fresh chopped parsley and some parmagiano-reggiano or whatever else, which will be the new game plan installs of his role,  and boom we are ready. 

At this point in time I suspect we are still adding broth and mixing. 

I think the staff will have him ready to go as a matchup dependent role player for playoffs. 

Buon appetito!

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Shakir got the most snap counts out of Beez and McKenzie last game 

26 to McKenzies 24

I don't think that'll continue his run blocking is atrocious

Sadly kumerow is a telegraph nwe are running.  I am curious where we go with Doyle and a #2 TE next year. 

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Both Cole and Smoke were desperation moves (smart desperation moves but moves made out of desperation) and given that both guys were off the scrap head I think they are just working both of them in slowly for a playoff run esp Cole who has more of a niche in the offense as there really is no true slot WR on the team.

Desperation moves how? They’re literally practice squad players. They were signed as depth. 

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

I don't think that'll continue his run blocking is atrocious

Sadly kumerow is a telegraph nwe are running.  I am curious where we go with Doyle and a #2 TE next year. 

I'm curious why or how you think his Run Blocking is atrocious??

Can you present some evidence??

His most active game and we have a tremendous rushing night

I'm not being rude I'm just curious..

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.