Russell Wilson and His Divisive Entourage

The Frankish Reich

I somehow didn't know this, but the collapse of the Broncos has people talking. Russell Wilson has a whole entourage surrounding him, including:

- personal QB coach, often onsite (whose advice may conflict with the official coaching staff)

- social media assistants, also getting in the way

- personal office in the team training complex, so he can, umm, attend to his other commitments

- nutritionist/personal chef

Not to mention his wife, and the more typical demands like extra hotel suites when on the road.

This is all fine and dandy when you're winning (right, Tom Brady?).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/26/russell-wilson-entourage-seattle-seahawks

https://denverfan.com/2099516/why-its-no-big-deal-that-russell-wilson-has-an-entourage-with-him/

But when things go south, the resentment over preferential treatment bubbles up to the surface. And it's boiling over right now, with lots of local Colorado media talking openly about it, and about how the new coaching staff needs to rein this stuff in (assuming that it's not written into that now-horrific Wilson contract).

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/russell-wilson-jake-heaps-involvement-broncos#:~:text=Denver Broncos QB Russell Wilson's,Broncos News%2C Analysis and More

Question: which other NFL QBs have similar "teams" surrounding them? I know Mahomes has his official groupies, but what about Josh? Rodgers?

Most popular players have 1-2 assistants that are always with them that do their social media and day to day activities. Josh does not have an assistant as far as I know and only has a part time chef every now and then. Von has a videographer and a tech guy as he's big into streaming so he has a few guys around him at all times

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Most popular players have 1-2 assistants that are always with them that do their social media and day to day activities. Josh does not have an assistant as far as I know and only has a part time chef every now and then. Von has a videographer and a tech guy as he's big into streaming so he has a few guys around him at all times

Chef should he FT and teams shpuld encourage/push that as much as possible. Nutrition is atleast half of player performsnce. Finding a way to hit all their macros, rotate foods for vitamins, make it taste good (skipping meals or going off script is bad). 

• Like (+1) 1

If you read the SI article, the one that seems to be the real, on-field problem (not just envy or resentment in his teammates) is having the personal onsite QB coach. Apparently that guy came in with the Wilson contract, after Hackett and his team had been brought in. (Yes, this fits with the "Hackett was Aaron Rodgers bait" theory.) In the end, Hackett was kind of set up for failure.

Hackett is a bozo, but he was in theory the guy running the offense, calling the plays, etc. And then he had an ostensible offensive coordinator, who seemed to do nothing. And then there was a QB coach, who couldn't do anything because of Hackett and Russ's trust in his longtime personal QB coach. Just a mess.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

It’s sad really. I remember watching the senior bowl practices and being so impressed by how humble Wilson was. He was out to prove himself, taking extra reps and mimicking plays when the other QBs were in. I didn't want to draft him, because he was small, but I was clearly wrong about that aspect of his game. How do you go from this humble hard working dude with the ugly girlfriend at the draft to whatever he has turned out to be? It’s sad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

If you read the SI article, the one that seems to be the real, on-field problem (not just envy or resentment in his teammates) is having the personal onsite QB coach. Apparently that guy came in with the Wilson contract, after Hackett and his team had been brought in. (Yes, this fits with the "Hackett was Aaron Rodgers bait" theory.) In the end, Hackett was kind of set up for failure.

Hackett is a bozo, but he was in theory the guy running the offense, calling the plays, etc. And then he had an ostensible offensive coordinator, who seemed to do nothing. And then there was a QB coach (Klint Kubiak), who couldn't do anything because of Hackett and Russ's trust in his longtime personal QB coach. When Hackett was relieved of play calling duties (by whom? GM George Paton presumably), the OC didn't take over; Kubiak did. And when Hackett seemed unable to make simple in-game decisions ("should we try to kick a 64 yard FG or go for it on 4th and 3? Let's try for that Broncos record length FG!) they brought in a token old guy (now the interim coach) as the equivalent of a baseball "bench coach."  They need to fire everybody in the coaching staff, or maybe just commit to Kubiak as part of that Shanahan coaching tree. Just a mess.

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

with the ugly girlfriend

This will cause me to spend a chunk of a perfectly fine day off looking for pics.

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The only one that is weird to me is the social media assistant. If that “team” is at the Broncos facility, that’s ridiculous. 

Asking for Special hotel rooms is also pretty cringy. You are there for what, 30 hours? And travel like 12 times a year? Cmon man 

Once this behavior kicks in you are already in full diva mode. Denver fans had their shot at Josh and they blew it.

• Haha (+1) 1

Josh has a guy... His name is Squirrel, Squirrel Winter. He helps Josh and his Range Rover get to where Josh needs to be:

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Once this behavior kicks in you are already in full diva mode. Denver fans had their shot at Josh and they blew it.

And they picked Bradley Chubb, where's he now? 😆 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Those specific items listed don't seem to be that big of a deal. There's plenty more players who have most of those things that aren't in the headlines. Wilson is a relevant target this year and so these kinds of stories will be manufactured about him.

Generally speaking, I think his issue appears to be diminishing athleticism/mobility which he needs to be effective.

• Eyeroll 1

This is not uncommon for many of the big name players. When TO came to Buffalo I remember reading about the huge staff he had.

But you have to back it up with results on the field. Otherwise your teammates will resent you. Just how it is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Chef should he FT and teams shpuld encourage/push that as much as possible. Nutrition is atleast half of player performsnce. Finding a way to hit all their macros, rotate foods for vitamins, make it taste good (skipping meals or going off script is bad). 

Josh has absolutely no diet or meal plan. He says he eats whatever he wants including drinking beer. Sounds like fun if you are the typical 40 something overweight poster on TBD but not for an elite athlete 

52 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Kyle Brandt said it best.  He's a poser.  All he cares about is his image.

Which is weird, because he built himself into a superstar QB by being the "chip on the shoulder" style guy.  Short, average build, not super fast, and a guy who was greatly overlooked given his college production. Then lasted until the 3rd round and beat out the next "superstar" QB in Matt Flynn.  

He has completely changed since entering the league, and lost his edge and motivation in the process it seems.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Russ is a fraud. He's more worried about being an entertainment industry type than he is a football player. I'll say it again, Pete Carroll is a genius. 

I agree here.  I think he was a talented player but since he married Ciara he seems very concerned about image and celebrity.  How many other active players sit with Goodell in his suite during the Super Bowl?   

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It’s sad really. I remember watching the senior bowl practices and being so impressed by how humble Wilson was. He was out to prove himself, taking extra reps and mimicking plays when the other QBs were in. I didn't want to draft him, because he was small, but I was clearly wrong about that aspect of his game. How do you go from this humble hard working dude with the ugly girlfriend at the draft to whatever he has turned out to be? It’s sad. 

Ego. He divided the Seattle locker room long before this too. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

My wife is from Seattle and her family and her group of friends were ready to move on from Russ in 2020. He wasn't as beloved in Seattle as a lot of people think, his act was getting old there too. Good luck Denver!

I remember him seemingly threatening to leave for a while, looking for a more media/celebrity friendly market for him and his wife. Wouldn't be shocked if that had been wearing thin.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I actually like the fact he pulled a Drake and kept his childhood friends closest to him as he became more famous. "No new friends"

In theory. In reality, sometimes it's your childhood friends that hold you back and resent your success the most. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I somehow didn't know this, but the collapse of the Broncos has people talking. Russell Wilson has a whole entourage surrounding him, including:

- personal QB coach, often onsite (whose advice may conflict with the official coaching staff)

- social media assistants, also getting in the way

- personal office in the team training complex, so he can, umm, attend to his other commitments

- nutritionist/personal chef

Not to mention his wife, and the more typical demands like extra hotel suites when on the road.

This is all fine and dandy when you're winning (right, Tom Brady?).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/26/russell-wilson-entourage-seattle-seahawks

https://denverfan.com/2099516/why-its-no-big-deal-that-russell-wilson-has-an-entourage-with-him/

But when things go south, the resentment over preferential treatment bubbles up to the surface. And it's boiling over right now, with lots of local Colorado media talking openly about it, and about how the new coaching staff needs to rein this stuff in (assuming that it's not written into that now-horrific Wilson contract).

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/russell-wilson-jake-heaps-involvement-broncos#:~:text=Denver Broncos QB Russell Wilson's,Broncos News%2C Analysis and More

Question: which other NFL QBs have similar "teams" surrounding them? I know Mahomes has his official groupies, but what about Josh? Rodgers?

The question now is, what does that organization do now? The coach lost his job, but how does the GM keep his? This trade will go down as one of the biggest heists in NFL history, if not the biggest. This will set them back for years.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.