Josh Allen's waning confidence and mental yips

Estro

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

He’s been a disappointment lately. Him and McKenzie just aren’t consistent enough to be reliable. I wouldn’t mind taking a WR in the 1st if we don’t take an olineman. 

Yeah I was super hopeful that Gabe was going to step up this season and become that legit 1b threat he was in the Chiefs playoff game.

Instead he has dropped so many passes that he just seems unreliable as even a #3.

• Agree 2

It’s pretty noticeable (to me at least) that Allen is not processing as quickly as he did from game 1.  He’s holding the ball that extra second and often throwing off the back foot, or standing flat footed while trying to sling it with his arm only (no legs or hips involved).  He’s not getting away with it lately. 

He’s definitely lost his confidence.  Usually running will snap him back into form but it’s not.

Thats one thing i’ve always admired about Mahomes.  He’s incredible mentally.  Doesn’t give a crap about his last mistake he just keeps pushing it.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Allen is far less consistent and far less accomplished than Mahomes. The comparison only carries weight when they stand side by side amidst a Bills/Chiefs matchup. It’s an “in the moment” comparison.

Mahomes is superior.

Allen has slow eyes and Mahomes father was a big leaguer, sooooo I go with 15 all day every day

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Estro said:

Teams,are going to have bad days, and today was a terrible day, so the loss doesn't devastate me as m7ch as the way Josh Allen has played over the last game and a half.

He seems lost, like rookie season loss. He's rarely hitting his bckfoot and letting it rip, which indicates he's either not see the field well or he's lacking confidence to just let it rip.

This post is to ask does anyone on this board have any insight into Allen's waning mental confidence. I remember earlier in his career himtakjing about actually sitting down with some type of psychologist orcoach who helped him with his confidence and how important that is to QBing. I believe he first mentioned it in the offseason after the Houston playoff loss.

Today it just looked like he had 0 confidence in himself and he looked he was in his head all day.  Really concerning that a major case of mental yips might be entering the picture right at the sane time he'll be dealing with an elbow injury.

It's my belief that Allen sometimes deals with some type of mental panic attacks (see his interview on Bussin with the Boys), where he needs to take a break mid interview and actually exits the bus before coming back to finish up from this past offseason.  I think things can go sideways fast with Allen when things go south, and it's a problem

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Confusion, yes.

I don't see any lack of confidence. The guy is super confident, sometimes almost  too confident in his arm.

Arm arrogance anyone?

Agree more with LeGOATski, seems more over confidence and thinks he can throw it anywhere and get away with it.  Doesn't seem like lack of confidence to me at all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

If it was Tua we’d be saying he’s reverting to type. If it was Mac Jones we’d be laughing our heads off. If it was Wilson we’d be stating it was no surprise. But as it’s Josh…

Have we ever seen Tua, Mac or Wilson play at an elite level - or even win a playoff game?  Granted Josh has been in the league longer and had a chance to establish himself - but that only makes your comparison weaker IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gene1973 said:

This is why so many say Mahomes is better. When Allen is bad he's really bad. Mahomes doesn't do this on an annual basis...

Mahomes did it last year.  Check out the KC's back to back losses to the Bills & Titans.  You also might want to take another look at the 2nd half of the KC/Cincy AFC championship game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Simple question. How do you think Allen had played in the second half the GB game and today's game? Would like to get your input. 

He played poorly.  But is it Allen losing confidence or a sign of deeper issues with the Bill's O?

*  After Diggs - who is a top 3 WR in the league - who are the Bills play makers? Davis is maddeningly inconsistent and McKenzie and Kalir are not doing a good job as slot receivers. Last year Beasley alone caught 82 passes out of the slot.

*  Allen's play has hidden the deficiencies of the O line.

*  The lack of a running game is starting to take it's toll.

Hines can't get on the field fast enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

But as KC fans like to point out, what exactly has Allen won in comparison to Mahomes?  They get just as annoyed with the comparisons...

Keep wallowing in negativity.  It’s a good look for you.

Objectively, we got beat up front on both sides.  And Josh seemed a bit rattled to me today.  But he won’t play like that next week.

Dorsey needs to look at film and have someone objective do it as well to see what teams are seeing.  Time to make adjustments.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I think he was against the packers. He took a couple hard hits running last week. Ever since then he’s looked off big time. Today was more of the same. Bad decisions, bad throws, etc 

A heating pad on his back might help that. Or is it ice, then heat? 

He did not look sharp, that is for sure. 

This is Josh Allen.  He just had a hot 2.5 years.

All kidding aside, I'm going to blame the bye.  We did the exact same thing last season coming off the bye.  The team seems to lose focus and isn't sharp at all the few weeks after the bye.  For now, I'm going to trust Josh and the coaches to get it figured out and get this thing back on the rails.   

Edited by TheBrownBear

2 hours ago, Estro said:

Teams,are going to have bad days, and today was a terrible day, so the loss doesn't devastate me as m7ch as the way Josh Allen has played over the last game and a half.

He seems lost, like rookie season loss. He's rarely hitting his bckfoot and letting it rip, which indicates he's either not see the field well or he's lacking confidence to just let it rip.

This post is to ask does anyone on this board have any insight into Allen's waning mental confidence. I remember earlier in his career himtakjing about actually sitting down with some type of psychologist orcoach who helped him with his confidence and how important that is to QBing. I believe he first mentioned it in the offseason after the Houston playoff loss.

Today it just looked like he had 0 confidence in himself and he looked he was in his head all day.  Really concerning that a major case of mental yips might be entering the picture right at the sane time he'll be dealing with an elbow injury.

It's my belief that Allen sometimes deals with some type of mental panic attacks (see his interview on Bussin with the Boys), where he needs to take a break mid interview and actually exits the bus before coming back to finish up from this past offseason.  I think things can go sideways fast with Allen when things go south, and it's a problem

You have won the award for drama queen of the day take a bow 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Nobody is saying they can’t or wont fix it. But they are definitely off. Allen definitely looks BAD. The worst he’s looked since about year 2 

Time to start looking for a QB in the draft !! 

• Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, par73 said:

Where is the intermediate passing game? Everything today was down field, and it wasn't working. One-dimensional, and only one receiver -- at least that Allen trusts.

yup. Whether play calling or talent we are missing a lot in the mid range. 

1 hour ago, hemma said:

I wonder if he gives Palmer a call.  It’s possible he’s made a very small change that is screwing up his release.

Also, I would think ‘corrections’ are part of Brady’s job description.

He didn’t make any change. if there’s a change, it’s likely regression due to lack of muscle memory and range of motion.

Josh said that for the first time he didn’t do anything but rest and recover. Ian Eagle joked today that when asked Josh said “Golf”. It’s come up in every single prime time game.

So when we have threads that go “Josh looks like 2020 Josh for multiple games” the simplest answer is usually the right one. 

16 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

He played poorly.  But is it Allen losing confidence or a sign of deeper issues with the Bill's O?

*  After Diggs - who is a top 3 WR in the league - who are the Bills play makers? Davis is maddeningly inconsistent and McKenzie and Kalir are not doing a good job as slot receivers. Last year Beasley alone caught 82 passes out of the slot.

*  Allen's play has hidden the deficiencies of the O line.

*  The lack of a running game is starting to take it's toll.

Hines can't get on the field fast enough.

All of this - when your QB leads the team in rushing yards, there's an issue. Knox has 20 catches, Davis 18. Too much pressure for Diggs to always be open. 

Run defense is pretty sad right now, with or without Milano. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roy Hobbs said:

All of this - when your QB leads the team in rushing yards, there's an issue. Knox has 20 catches, Davis 18. Too much pressure for Diggs to always be open. 

Run defense is pretty sad right now, with or without Milano. 

90 yards in 6 minutes to close the game. All were run plays except one. 😂😂😂

No, he's not waning in confidence or has the yips, he's just been going for the big plays instead of nickel and diming down the field and taking what the defense gives you. He was constantly looking for guys 15-20 yards down field when the Jets had 2 high safeties today. 

• Like (+1) 1

My initial thought to this thread was to dismiss it as nonsense, but he has definitely had some head scratching INT's the past few games, and I do remember a time where he was afraid to make mistakes after screwing up earlier in his career.

I don't necessarily think he's losing confidence, but he may get in his own head when things that normally work aren't.

It's on the coaches to figure out what they need to do in order to have Josh feeling comfortable and playing like we know he can

Edited by BeastMaster

2 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

This is why so many say Mahomes is better. When Allen is bad he's really bad. Mahomes doesn't do this on an annual basis...

Did you even watch last season and the worry over Mahomes's play and the fact that he lost to the Colts this season? Josh has no such loss.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Or...we just played 2 of the better secondaries in the NFL in back to back weeks.  Jets D is one of the best units in the NFL right now with very good corners and a nasty front 7.

So maybe we shouldn't panic just yet...defenders get paid to make plays too.  Josh had an off game, the whole offense was out of sync again in the 2nd half.  

We lost to the Jags last year and then set NFL playoff records on offense.  

Sounds reasonable, but he needs to be better next week.

• Agree 1

Allen wants it too much. When he makes a mistake, he sometimes compounds it by pressing and making another.

Am I concerned about his recent play? Yes

Should he probably be past these mid season yips? Yes

Do I have any doubt about him moving forward? No

Edited by buffblue

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I think he was against the packers. He took a couple hard hits running last week. Ever since then he’s looked off big time. Today was more of the same. Bad decisions, bad throws, etc 

He’s having strength and velocity problems which tells me he either has an injured shoulder or arm and can’t feel how hard he’s throwing the ball due to painkillers, numbing, etc. 

Multiple interceptions were to receivers that were open but the ball was either thrown too light or took too long to get there. He’s lost control of his arm and strength.

It would be like kicking a soccer ball after they shot up your leg with numbing meds. You might make contact but you’d have no idea how hard you kicked it since you can’t feel it.

Edited by Governor
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Simple question. How do you think Allen had played in the second half the GB game and today's game? Would like to get your input. 

You're clearly not a real fan if you ask that question.  Fairweather even.

Edited by CoudyBills
This is sarcasm you lillies
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Estro said:

t's my belief that Allen sometimes deals with some type of mental panic attacks (see his interview on Bussin with the Boys), where he needs to take a break mid interview and actually exits the bus before coming back to finish up from this past offseason.  I think things can go sideways fast with Allen when things go south, and it's a problem

Wait, what?  I'm going to go look into that incident.  Didn't hear about it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.