Josh Allen's waning confidence and mental yips

Estro

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Re: Allen/Mahomes

Mahomes is more consistently good/great with an elite level only Allen can match

Allen has more ups and downs in the regular season, but his ceiling is literally unstoppable - beyond what any other QB is capable of 

I think that’s fair. For whatever reason, when Josh dips, he really dips. I appreciate Mahomes has the odd off game but he doesn’t seem to stay in, or return to, a funk as long as Josh does. 

Last year is a good example - awful in Jacksonville, decent at the Jets, dreadful against the Colts, good versus the Saints, couldn’t adapt our game in the wind when playing the Patriots (not all on him), then poor in the first half in Tampa. Second half he was great, but didn’t have his best game against Carolina, turned up in the revenge at Foxborough, then the horror show against the Falcons (most similar to tonight), before an ok showing in the final regular season against the Jets. It was a real rollercoaster ride, which is perhaps overshadowed by superhuman Josh turning up in the play offs.

Then again, I’ve just had a look at Mahomes’ record last year and he only picked up a QBR of over 60 once between weeks five and thirteen so… perhaps ignore all of the above!

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

It's overreaction Sunday. He's in a mini-swoon.  A VERY mini-swoon.  6 quarters.

But, if I had to guess:  I think the coaches were thinking like me, and some other fans. We're rolling - and the only thing that can derail us is if JA gets injured. I think they are over-coaching him, and he's thinking too much.

It has caused me to re-evaluate my own position.  Josh has to be Josh.  Let him play the game the way he wants to play the game.  He's at his best that way.

I think I agree. Don’t run, slide, don’t take risks. No - that’s Josh. He’s just as likely, if not more so, to get injured in the pocket with this line. Let him go out and have fun.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

I think I agree. Don’t run, slide, don’t take risks. No - that’s Josh. He’s just as likely, if not more so, to get injured in the pocket with this line. Let him go out and have fun.

Truth is he doesn’t take the amount of pocket hits many other QBs take.  

It evens out with his running.  

Where are we worried he might have week(s) long lingering injury from?  

Answer: A hit in the pocket. 

• Agree 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Truth is he doesn’t take the amount of pocket hits many other QBs take.  

It evens out with his running.  

Where are we worried he might have week(s) long lingering injury from?  

Answer: A hit in the pocket. 

I sort of appreciate that we have tried to protect him slightly but telling him to cut down the risk taking but if it’s going to lead him into second guessing himself, and being uncertain, then forget it. It’s better to let him be himself.

26 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Chiefs fans are loving how this loss looks for the Bills. Predictably they’re saying Allen is nowhere near Pat’s level. To me, Mahomie is far more consistent on a game to game basis, whereas when Allen is on, he’s at least Mahomes’s equal when Mahomes has his A+ game working.

The QB I saw today play for the Bills, I haven’t seen in quite some time. It’d be different if he was under duress play after play, but he often had time and was just missing open receivers, either through bad reads or bad throws. Hopefully he’s just as hungry and committed to the game now as he was during his late season/playoff surge and the beginning of this year.

The Super Bowl is out of question if he continues to play the way he did today.

There's an important distinction to be made here tho

When you watch the Chiefs play you say what a great offense

When you watch the Bills play you say what a great QB

• Agree 3

I dunno, I'm gonna go back to something I said earlier in the post game thread. The bills always seem to have a mid season slump since McDermott has been here. Don't have an answer as to why, but it seems to happen every year. The good news is, we're still winning the division even after every other afc east team won today. The bills gotta get back on track though. A kc loss tonight would help. Maybe 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Simon said:

Earlier in the year, Mahomes threw at 57% for 260yrds with 1TD and 1 INT in a 20-17 loss against a far worse Colts team.

Quit making crap up to add to your already annoying crusade. 

Plus does anybody remember Mahomes at Home VS Cinci in the playoffs??

As a leader of the team, he is taking the blame and not calling his players out, whether we like it or not. Davis has a% catch rate this season and that is not going to get it done. I saw another clip out there today where he was clapping his hands together to catch a pass. 

It is a very Allen and Diggs based offense, Knox is obviously struggling with his loss earlier this season and Mackenzie's one game against the pats appears to be an outlier. WR2 is a very big problem for us...

On the interception at the goal line, he didn't see the end

This call was trash

Davis had one drop early in the game that he should have had

also he is not wrong:

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Simon said:

Earlier in the year, Mahomes threw at 57% for 260yrds with 1TD and 1 INT in a 20-17 loss against a far worse Colts team.

Quit making crap up to add to your already annoying crusade. 

Josh is my favorite player (perhaps ever - FJax is in the running too), but Mahomes does seem to have stinkers a bit less often.

Allen has had 7 multiple INT games in the last season and a half. Mahomes has 4 in that same time period. Not quite half as often but close to it.

Allen also had 9 games with 59% or less completion percentage in the last season and a half. Whereas Mahomes has 4 such games.

I still wouldn’t trade Allen for Mahomes though. Allen is Western NY through and through and I love m that.

Edited by Einstein

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I dunno, I'm gonna go back to something I said earlier in the post game thread. The bills always seem to have a mid season slump since McDermott has been here. Don't have an answer as to why, but it seems to happen every year. The good news is, we're still winning the division even after every other afc east team won today. The bills gotta get back on track though. A kc loss tonight would help. Maybe 

That's a good, common sense perspective.  I think we're more fortunate this year, because we have just a little more breathing room (where the Jags game last year set us back for awhile).

I'm still very confident, but today was a surprise.  The Jets are pretty good, though. They are not a joke.

People forgot (ignored) the Colts, Jaguars, etc. after the Chiefs playoff game. Allen was wildly inconsistent last year and it hasn’t changed. He’s an athletic monster, also inconsistent, inaccurate, and prone to turnovers. He was baffled by the Jets today. 

He’s not losing confidence. He doesn’t have the yips. He’s the same as he always was. Which just might be good enough.

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

Plus does anybody remember Mahomes at Home VS Cinci in the playoffs??

This is hilarious bc the chiefs fans lord over us for 13 seconds as if they won the damn super bowl but blew 3 score lead and scored 3 points in 2.5 quarters in the AFCCG which in my opinion is a much worse let down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Yea, it’s definitely a known issue.  

Players are even aware of it. 

Problem is, the season is about hosting the playoffs in Buffalo.  If a mid-season lull is why that never happens, then McD either has to learn how to win on the road or a time will come where we need to explore other options. 

Im not there.. so don’t take this as a fire McD post … but this can’t just be an “aww shucks, here we go again” type of explain it away.  

They need to come out, beat Minny and take control of this weird trend. 

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

I think fans are starting to project their own lack of confidence onto Allen. 

My suggestion? Go root for another team. Any team Carson Wentz is on, preferably. 

Simple question. How do you think Allen had played in the second half the GB game and today's game? Would like to get your input. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I sort of appreciate that we have tried to protect him slightly but telling him to cut down the risk taking but if it’s going to lead him into second guessing himself, and being uncertain, then forget it. It’s better to let him be himself.

I don't really understand this logic. How have the Bills coaching staff limited Allen? How have they not let him be Josh? He was every bit Josh Allen just a terrible version today. I don't think the coaches had a leash on him. 

8 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Josh went through a similar mid season lull last year no? We all know how that ended. The greatest postseason performance ever by a QB. I have faith that this too will pass. But how quickly? And if not quickly will it cost us the one seed?

My wife is a classic overreactor and I told her exactly the above.

"I remember we had this precise conversation last year after the Titans/Jaguars/Colts debacles"

I don't know if its the anxiety driven side of the Bills fan bases but its like if we aren't blowing people out, we are losers type of mentality that really grate on people who like to think critically but also positively.

Edit: I like to add, talk to me how Josh shouldn't have thrown those INTs, or how our WRs are dropping key catches, or how the defense couldn't stop the run on that last drive. But please, please, please don't come at me with "we lost the division", "this isn't a playoff team", "we lost to the Vikings" bull crap. 

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Chiefs fans are loving how this loss looks for the Bills. Predictably they’re saying Allen is nowhere near Pat’s level. To me, Mahomie is far more consistent on a game to game basis, whereas when Allen is on, he’s at least Mahomes’s equal when Mahomes has his A+ game working.

The QB I saw today play for the Bills, I haven’t seen in quite some time. It’d be different if he was under duress play after play, but he often had time and was just missing open receivers, either through bad reads or bad throws. Hopefully he’s just as hungry and committed to the game now as he was during his late season/playoff surge and the beginning of this year.

The Super Bowl is out of question if he continues to play the way he did today.

Tua is looking alot better than Josh right now.

Tua threw for over 300 yards, 3 tds and no ints.

He's smoking Josh right now

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

It's the mustache 

LOL.  In a way you are totally correct IMO.

Josh and all the other Bills players getting interviews nonstop all week, every week, are listening to their press clippings.

I kind of hope he isn't growing that 'stash to cut it off in a Gillette commercial.  If you get my drift.

Fans say there is no "trap game" but that is the wrong term.  It's about thinking you are so superior that you think you won't lose.

All teams that are being praised by the media and Vegas are destined to have to play up to that yardstick.

That yardstick is tough to achieve.

Josh and the Bills have to go back to the basics in their minds and emotions or jeopardize the bye in the AFC.

I think McDermott and the organization will get a grip on this very soon.  If they don't it could cost the season.

My points are not meant to be nothing other than what good teams have to face all the time.

1 hour ago, Estro said:

Teams,are going to have bad days, and today was a terrible day, so the loss doesn't devastate me as m7ch as the way Josh Allen has played over the last game and a half.

He seems lost, like rookie season loss. He's rarely hitting his bckfoot and letting it rip, which indicates he's either not see the field well or he's lacking confidence to just let it rip.

This post is to ask does anyone on this board have any insight into Allen's waning mental confidence. I remember earlier in his career himtakjing about actually sitting down with some type of psychologist orcoach who helped him with his confidence and how important that is to QBing. I believe he first mentioned it in the offseason after the Houston playoff loss.

Today it just looked like he had 0 confidence in himself and he looked he was in his head all day.  Really concerning that a major case of mental yips might be entering the picture right at the sane time he'll be dealing with an elbow injury.

It's my belief that Allen sometimes deals with some type of mental panic attacks (see his interview on Bussin with the Boys), where he needs to take a break mid interview and actually exits the bus before coming back to finish up from this past offseason.  I think things can go sideways fast with Allen when things go south, and it's a problem

How about Beane give him some receivers that can make plays, 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Tua is looking alot better than Josh right now.

Tua threw for over 300 yards, 3 tds and no ints.

He's smoking Josh right now

Tua played against a bears defense that traded away their best defensive player in the offseason and then traded away their 2nd best last week.....

If Josh Allen doesn't do the same Christmas Eve then sure, we have an issue.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL.  In a way you are totally correct IMO.

Josh and all the other Bills players getting interviews nonstop all week, every week, are listening to their press clippings.

I kind of hope he isn't growing that 'stash to cut it off in a Gillette commercial.  If you get my drift.

Fans say there is no "trap game" but that is the wrong term.  It's about thinking you are so superior that you think you won't lose.

All teams that are being praised by the media and Vegas are destined to have to play up to that yardstick.

That yardstick is tough to achieve.

Josh and the Bills have to go back to the basics in their minds and emotions or jeopardize the bye in the AFC.

I think McDermott and the organization will get a grip on this very soon.  If they don't it could cost the season.

My points are not meant to be nothing other than what good teams have to face all the time.

Part of me is thinking we don’t want the post season bye if this is how we play coming out of one!

Right now it’s basically the Allen/Diggs show. It’s the way it’s been all season and it wasn’t gonna last. Sure Davis had made big plays here and there but when they ain’t there he isn’t making the basic plays. Allen is checking down way more then usual because the WRs are not getting open. Maybe it’s Dorsey not putting these guys in good position. McKenzie is a ghost out there a lot as well. He’s suppose to be filling Beas’s roll who was always a safety outlet for Allen but that’s not the case. Allen is asked to do way to much because Diggs is the only consistent player on O besides Allen. 

The bigger question now is how long the coaching staff gives someone else a shot. 

19 minutes ago, Steptide said:

This IMO is backwards.  The Bills have never been in a chance to have a "slump" (17 years) UNTIL McDermott got here.  He preaches over and

and over and over that it's one game at a time.  He pushes these guys that "the next game is THE most important".  This game, in the way it

unfolded, is why he says it's all on the players to keep it "hungry".  

Does anyone on this board think the Bills would have played the Chiefs today the way they played the Jets this afternoon?

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Part of me is thinking we don’t want the post season bye if this is how we play coming out of one!

I can't see that.  It's all about not bringing your best "every week" thing, to me.

38 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I.think if Josh had just taken the short pass things would have turned out much better.

Bills were only down 3 late in the game so completing 3 or 4 short passes in a row would have put us in FG range.

But Josh kept trying to hit the homerun ball

Allen trying to do too much is a good call. I wonder if Dorsey and his offensive scheme and play calling are also a factor. It’s very possible the two are related. 

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Josh and Mahomes have similar ceilings but the latter’s floor is much higher. I thought Josh had closed the difference in terms of the floor but he hasn’t. 

Allen is far less consistent and far less accomplished than Mahomes. The comparison only carries weight when they stand side by side amidst a Bills/Chiefs matchup. It’s an “in the moment” comparison.

Mahomes is superior.

• Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

As a leader of the team, he is taking the blame and not calling his players out, whether we like it or not. Davis has a% catch rate this season and that is not going to get it done. I saw another clip out there today where he was clapping his hands together to catch a pass. 

It is a very Allen and Diggs based offense, Knox is obviously struggling with his loss earlier this season and Mackenzie's one game against the pats appears to be an outlier. WR2 is a very big problem for us...

On the interception at the goal line, he didn't see the end

This call was trash

Davis had one drop early in the game that he should have had

also he is not wrong:

55% catch percentage for Davis? My goodness.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.