Panthers fire HC Matt Rhule

Draconator

Skip Bayless will have convenient scapegoat to deflect blame from his precious Baker. I find it entertaining they can have a segment on Baker weekly where Skip regurgitates the same facts over and over again. He actually mentioned not being sold on Josh but believes in Baker and that he actually said it this year right around when the season opened makes it all the more laughable. 

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Dude was a disaster. But at least he gets a big payday with his buyout/whatever is left on his contract.

Just now, billieve420 said:

Skip Bayless will have convenient scapegoat to deflect blame from his precious Baker. I find it entertaining they can have a segment on Baker weekly where Skip regurgitates the same facts over and over again. He actually mentioned not being sold on Josh but believes in Baker and that he actually said it this year right around when the season opened. 

Dude is a joke. Even Shannon Sharpe is incredulous.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The panthers were interested in firing him last year, per folks i know. They did not fire him at the end of the year for many reasons - but from what I understood - they did not have a plan of succession. Rhule wanted to be fired in Dec. last year to go get a college gig.

they moved now to get the guy off their pocketbooks and now have a plan to finish the season. they already have a list and hoping to get a defensive target but i haven't heard a name.

from what i heard Rhule wants to take a year off at this point and eager to get back to college.

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Draconator said:

What a Surprise.

I'm kinda torn between pity for Baker Mayfield - 5 years in the league, and the only year he got to spend a second season with the same coach and OC he was injured - and the feeling he's been "hoist by his own petard" in lobbying for Kitchens as both OC and head coach his 2nd season.

21 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

they moved now to get the guy off their pocketbooks and now have a plan to finish the season. they already have a list and hoping to get a defensive target but i haven't heard a name.

So what is this plan to finish the season?  One would hope a team wouldn't fire a guy in early October without it.

By the way, Rhule is apparently far from "off the books".  They'll be paying him for 3+ years, apparently.  Shades of Wrecks Ryan.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

He never should have fired Brady. The offense was on a constant decline ever since. 
Guy was making desperation moves last year like they were a contender. When in reality they could have saved all those draft picks and money and just kept Teddy Bridgewater. 
I’m happy to see him gone, he looked like he was ready to go. They put him out of his misery

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

What a Surprise.

I'm kinda torn between pity for Baker Mayfield - 5 years in the league, and the only year he got to spend a second season with the same coach and OC he was injured - and the feeling he's been "hoist by his own petard" in lobbying for Kitchens as both OC and head coach his 2nd season.

So what is this plan to finish the season?  One would hope a team wouldn't fire a guy in early October without it.

I don't think Baker is the sharpest crayon in the shed but a petard? I think you've gone a bit far and I'm not totally comfortable with you using that term.

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, BillsVet said:

Tepper is another know-it-all owner who has no clue what he's doing.  Doesn't help that the organization took half-measures trying to get a QB with Bridgewater, Darnold, and now Mayfield.  

And, IIRC, Rhule went all defense in his first draft.  

He did. They did the keep the GM in place when they fired Ron Rivera and then a year later let Rhule have a say in hiring a GM thing which I never like. 

I find it interesting that both McD and Beane were on that staff and not recognized as targets that org could promote.

Talk about letting talent walk out the door....

Although it did seem like they still held close ties to that FO for all the personnel exchanges they have cooked up since.

Does not really hold a candle to ol' Ralphy giving Polian and Butler the boot.

Ushered in the darkest years of being a Bills fan - at least for me.

Polian and Butler went out and ended up resurrecting the Colts and Chargers' franchises.

Glad the good lord saw fit to keep me around long enough to see the worm turn and JA 17 suit up for our team.

Feels good.

• Like (+1) 2

• SDS changed the title to Panthers fire HC Matt Rhule

There are few college coaches who have been successful in the NFL - Jimmy Johnson and Jim Harbaugh are the two who come to mind.  Beyond that, there just aren't a whole lot.  Some big-time college coaches have washed out in the NFL, many of whom were mentioned above.  Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, Chip Kelly, and now Matt Rhule is the latest.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.