Panthers fire HC Matt Rhule

Draconator

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Just throwing this out there - if we trade for McCaffrey we'd only be responsible for about $600K of his salary this year and could cut him in the offseason with zero dead cap. We're in our Super Bowl window. What do we have to lose?

Depends on what kind of draft pick Carolina wants back in compensation. If it’s either a 1st or second round pick then the answer would obviously be NO!!! If it’s a 5th-7th round pick then fine. But I doubt the panthers would settle for anything less than an early 2nd or 3rd. 

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Matt Rhule will survive with his paid 4 years of fully funded vacation. When he's ready to come back to coaching, he'll have a line of middle to top college programs waiting to hire him. 

Agreed, he’s a solid college coach. I would use the next 4 years as a vacation and possibly do some commentating before going back into coaching

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Have there been any recent coaching hires from College that have had success in the NFL? They all seem to be terrible...even the best college coach ever in Nick Saban couldn't hack it.

Nick saban wasn’t even in Miami a year lol it doesn’t count 

Especially when he told his GM to go sign free agent Drew Brees… Who was perfect for his system

For a washed up Dante Culpepper

You don’t pay a coach that much money and then not listen

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

I can't see that this year.  Post SB loss hangover.  He gets another year.

Likely, yes. But the fans are already "saving their postage" to put up a billboard.

If he doesnt get the OL and play calling figured out soon, the seat is going to get hotter.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Zac Taylor going to be a "surprise" fire if he doesnt get things straightened out in Cincy.

I couldn’t believe after the game Burrow said there’s just nothing down the field if teams play defense against us like this.. 

Uhhhhh welcome to buffalo and KC in 2021… Time to adjust young man. 
The crazy thing is they have Joe Mixon who carried them through parts of the season last year and he is the key to stopping the two deep safety looks. 

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

Rivera will be next, shortly.  With an outside chance of Dan Campbell.

I watched the show on HBO; Dan Campbell seems to have his head in the right place, but he also seems to think that successful programs come about from the right pep talk and "culture", instead of intelligently thought out actions.

He'll be gone eventually.  It's not like he isn't making money trying though.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Surprised it came this early. I was told by someone in the know to expect the Panthers to chase a big name when the inevitable Rhule firing came. Watch Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh.

I don't see either wanting to take that on.  Harbaugh has said no to better talent than the Panthers

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

The panthers were interested in firing him last year, per folks i know. They did not fire him at the end of the year for many reasons - but from what I understood - they did not have a plan of succession. Rhule wanted to be fired in Dec. last year to go get a college gig.

they moved now to get the guy off their pocketbooks and now have a plan to finish the season. they already have a list and hoping to get a defensive target but i haven't heard a name.

from what i heard Rhule wants to take a year off at this point and eager to get back to college.

So I hear the same story except what I was told is that they are targeting a "big name"  hire next and it probably will be someone who has been a HC before. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I hear the same story except what I was told is that they are targeting a "big name"  hire next and it probably will be someone who has been a HC before. 

i haven't heard about the "big name," just know that there is a specific target and list of who/what they want. the way i understood it was the target wasn't available in January which doesn't make sense.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

What a Surprise.

I'm kinda torn between pity for Baker Mayfield - 5 years in the league, and the only year he got to spend a second season with the same coach and OC he was injured - and the feeling he's been "hoist by his own petard" in lobbying for Kitchens as both OC and head coach his 2nd season.

So what is this plan to finish the season?  One would hope a team wouldn't fire a guy in early October without it.

By the way, Rhule is apparently far from "off the books".  They'll be paying him for 3+ years, apparently.  Shades of Wrecks Ryan.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Off their pocketbooks? Coaching contracts are guarenteed unless something very severe occurs.

I wonder how NFL front office would react if he tried to sign a current DC as head coach.

the contract is tied to if he gets another offer or contract which offsets the balance the Panthers owe him. this was written online at a few places, as well.

49 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Just being reported Baker Mayfield has a high ankle sprain so it looks like Sam Darnold will be the defacto starter for the new coach moving forward for a while....

Darnold is expected to miss another few weeks with his own injury (also a high ankle sprain) 

The Panthers are going to be starting PJ Walker 🤣

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

i haven't heard about the "big name," just know that there is a specific target and list of who/what they want. the way i understood it was the target wasn't available in January which doesn't make sense.

Would only make sense if that guy is a current NFL Head Coach. Big name, defensive, current HC..... Belichick?!? Carroll?!? Tomlin?!?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Would only make sense if that guy is a current NFL Head Coach. Big name, defensive, current HC..... Belichick?!? Carroll?!? Tomlin?!?

Why would anybody go there from another situation? That sounds like Bills' fans fantasies of getting Bill Cower to come to Buffalo. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Surprised it came this early. I was told by someone in the know to expect the Panthers to chase a big name when the inevitable Rhule firing came. Watch Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh.

Harbaugh claimed his interview with Minnesota last year were his last look into the pros.  Obviously that could be a bunch of crap, but He claims he is done chasing the NFL.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Just throwing this out there - if we trade for McCaffrey we'd only be responsible for about $600K of his salary this year and could cut him in the offseason with zero dead cap. We're in our Super Bowl window. What do we have to lose?

Cap space for a guy who's not going to run well with how our O-line is blocking anyway?

1 minute ago, cle23 said:

Harbaugh claimed his interview with Minnesota last year were his last look into the pros.  Obviously that could be a bunch of crap, but He claims he is done chasing the NFL.

I mean I don't believe a word out of Jim Harbaugh's mouth. If he told me today was Monday I'd throw my calendar away and presume it was wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

the name everyone online linking and the only actual name that is big - though not heard - is Sean Payton.

I don't see him going there and I don't see them hiring an offensive dude.

Belichick has no connection to Carolina, nor do the others.

Raheem Morris, DeMeco Ryans.... not big names but good candidates.

Oh gosh, please be Rex Ryan!!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

the contract is tied to if he gets another offer or contract which offsets the balance the Panthers owe him. this was written online at a few places, as well.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My money is on Leslie Frazier. Not a current HC, but was one.

I mean I don't believe a word out of Jim Harbaugh's mouth. If he told me today was Monday I'd throw my calendar away and presume it was wrong.

thought the same thing with Harbaugh, he ain't leaving.

i'd love to see Ryans or Morris geta shot down in Carolina - Carolina always is more fun with a strong D.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My money is on Leslie Frazier. Not a current HC, but was one.

He's not a "big name" in my books.

1 hour ago, Tanoros said:

Extremes are never the right answer. Carrol won a SB after coming from the college ranks. 

Yes but he was also an NFL coach prior to going to the college ranks.

Just think that in the case of guys like Rhule, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, etc there is a reason why they all failed miserably at the NFL level.

5 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Why would anybody go there from another situation? That sounds like Bills' fans fantasies of getting Bill Cower to come to Buffalo. 

They have a really nice core of young players. The division is getting weaker by the day. If a coach felt they could win with any of those quarterbacks it’s a really nice job to step into. 

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yes but he was also an NFL coach prior to going to the college ranks.

Just think that in the case of guys like Rhule, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, etc there is a reason why they all failed miserably at the NFL level.

Saban wasnt around long enough to be considered a failure, imo. He just got a better offer and knew College was a better place to be.

I get that as a Dolphins fan, you may feel differently

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

LOL so if your source is correct that Rhule wants to take a year off, they're still paying him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.