Panthers fire HC Matt Rhule

Draconator

28 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Cap space for a guy who's not going to run well with how our O-line is blocking anyway?

Carolina has had a bad OL for years and a poor QB situation, and he's still been able to produce when healthy. McCaffrey is an ELITE talent. The only thing holding him back has been injuries, and he wouldn't have to be a focal point of our offense here. Plus we could get him involved in the pass game as another solution to the cover 2 defenses we're facing almost every week. Davis as a deep threat and McCaffrey as a short passing threat makes us basically immune to any kind of defensive scheme. It's a no brainer move assuming Carolina is willing to do it at a reasonable price.

24 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

you're kind of special, ain't ya?

You're kind of prickly and inclined to take stuff personal, ain't ya?

I'm laughing at the Panthers and the idea that they were savvy enough to include language that prevented him from double-dipping, but he can keep them on the hook by hitting the Barcalounger for a year-long nap.

Oh, NOES, must be about YOU 😆

24 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

the contract still has 5+ years on it. 1 year ain't much.

What's $834,000/month for 14 or 15 months, between friends?  I mean, it's a point that relative to $40M, $10M or so ain't much, but for most of us 25% is a significant percentage, and $10M is a lot.

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Carolina has had a bad OL for years and a poor QB situation, and he's still been able to produce when healthy. McCaffrey is an ELITE talent. The only thing holding him back has been injuries, and he wouldn't have to be a focal point of our offense here. Plus we could get him involved in the pass game as another solution to the cover 2 defenses we're facing almost every week. Davis as a deep threat and McCaffrey as a short passing threat makes us basically immune to any kind of defensive scheme. It's a no brainer move assuming Carolina is willing to do it at a reasonable price.

I'd love to see CMC wearing a Bills uni, but he's owed $11.8-12M for the next 3 years.  I don't see how we fit that in under the stated "draft-develop-resign" philosophy Beane has repeatedly stated.

Edited by Beck Water

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Surprised it came this early. I was told by someone in the know to expect the Panthers to chase a big name when the inevitable Rhule firing came. Watch Sean Payton and Jim Harbaugh.

Sean Payton is obviously a name that keeps coming up with various fan bases unhappy with their coach. When you look at all the guys on the hot seat I guess this is Carolina just getting in early before the likes of Washington and Denver

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'd love to see CMC wearing a Bills uni, but he's owed $11.8-12M for the next 3 years.

I don't understand all the details but several knowledgeable people on Twitter have said that we would only owe him $600K this season and could cut him in the offseasom without any dead cap for 2023. Carolina would retain most of his salary.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't understand all the details but several knowledgeable people on Twitter have said that we would only owe him $600K this season and could cut him in the offseasom without any dead cap for 2023. Carolina would retain most of his salary.

His cap hit this year only includes $1m base salary. The rest is bonus money already paid by Carolina. I presume $600k reflects the fact that you would be paying 11/17 games worth of the $1m.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Carolina wouldn't retain his salary, but your twitter sources seem to be correct that he has a low salary this season and no guarantees.  Most of his money is in signing and restructure bonuses, which Carolina would have to eat to the tune of $27M or something like that. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/christian-mccaffery-21749/

So there are two issues:

1) Carolina isn't gonna want to eat that without getting a significant resource in return, like a couple high draft picks

2) if you take the viewpoint that he's a cheap 1 year rental and then we cut him and move on, does it make sense to give up a couple high draft picks for a 2/3 season rental? 

There are a couple of viewpoints on that, but I don't think that's the way Beane operates.

Edited by Beck Water

This is hilarious!  

Skip STILL trying to defend Baker Mayfield...Shannon trashing him, calling him a coach killer, saying he got 5 coaches fired and that he is faking his ankle injury to have people feel sorry for him. Basically called him trash.

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.