New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How does it make sense to build a new stadium with LESS seats than the current stadium despite taking up 600,000 more square footage?  I mean it literally has a 66% bigger footprint than old stadium but 8000 less seats.  

Especially for a team that sells out every home game regardless of weather or how good or bad the team is.

8,000 less seats is almost 12% less seats than the current stadium.  That’s just gonna make tickets cost even more and harder to get.  

Bills literally just made a deal to build the second smallest stadium in the NFL in terms of seating capacity.  Only Soldier field will have less seats (only 500 less seats).

This makes no sense, why have less Bills Mafia at each home game?  Best and loudest fan base in the league.

I agree and hopefully design is made so it is expandable maybe even adding stadium covering for offseason to help reduce maintenance costs.

The Bills are trying to make it more modern and eliminate some of the low priced fans blamed for much of the troubles in stadium.

They are going to raising prices of everything from beer to hot dogs to pizza logs to parking and add even higher priced restaurant style food.

They are going to TRY to get people in stadium earlier to have more sales but I think that will be harder with Buffalo's tailgating tradition.

IMO it would be better to try to get people to stay after game to help traffic spread out.  Make it a place you can watch afternoon games.

I do hope they expand the trailer lot since that lot seems to sell out every time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Well, there is that pesky reality that the Buffalo area population is 14% smaller (nearly 190,000) than when the Ralph was built.   

More seats => more out-of-town fans.    

Then why don’t you have that problem now in a 70,000 seat stadium?

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

All the newest stadiums have between 3,000 and 18,000 more seats than this new stadium.  So how is “smaller the way to go”?  No one else is doing “smaller”.  

And they added 600,000 more square feet as it is, there is plenty of room to move around and still keep your seating capacity up.  

We are literally building the smallest stadium in the NFL.  For the best and most engaged fan base in the league…one that sells out every home game.  

Im all for having more space to move around, but you can do that and still keep your capacity bigger than the smallest in the NFL.

I worry about all of this extra space and how that effects seat density in the better areas.  Jacksonville does the same and it really impacted the amount of quality seats on the lower lever between the 30's

Just now, Virgil said:

I worry about all of this extra space and how that effects seat density in the better areas.  Jacksonville does the same and it really impacted the amount of quality seats on the lower lever between the 30's

The seats are still tiny and crammed in at all the new stadiums.  I don’t understand why they make the stadiums more “spacious” but the seats impossibly small.  

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Even if cost doubled in that time frame which it hasn’t $1.4B should still be enough. 

I have built 15 Urgent Care sites (remodels) over the last 2.5 years.

Construction only costs in that time went from just under $300/sf to over $500 sf for the last site. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Virgil said:

I believe that most of the square footage figures refer to the concourse area outside of the seating bowl itself...especially with an outdoor venue. The one thing lacking at Rich Stadium was always the support space (restrooms, concessions, circulation area)...but this is also partly due to the fact that both the upper and lower decks open up into one consolidated concourse. If the new stadium is built above ground they'll need to double up on all of those areas, and therefore consume more square feet.

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Even if cost doubled in that time frame which it hasn’t $1.4B should still be enough. 

Comparing 2004 to 2022 (Lucas Oil Field opened 2008, so let's assume it was scoped out 4 years prior, same as this stadium will open 2026, scoped out in 2022) I went to an inflation comparison web site and it's almost exactly a 50% increase in overall costs in the US. So $720M would equate to $1.08B. and to your point, that was with a retractable roof in Indy. 

The other factors to consider are that construction inflation may be higher than overall inflation (I don't know), and building something in NY vs. IN may be more expensive (very likely). 

10 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

There’s 5k standing room on top of the 60-62K. And the “best home fan base in the nfl” still has trouble selling out games

That is partly due to Bills marketing limiting season ticket sales to out of area fans while same time selling tickets to travel agencies marketing to opposing fans.

They used to all Buffalo Bills Backers groups but blocks of tickets but you can only get them now via resellers who you need to buy amenities like tailgates with provided food for markups.

Bills fans fill other stadiums.

Would love to see renderings soon. From what I read 80% of the seats are covered, which is in line with Seattle's Stadium (Which I love). Roof over most everything but the field, and big sheltered concourses that won't funnel the wind through the stadium.

If a similar design to the Seahawks home, I can see it being loud as hell.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dpberr said:

That's quite a steep bill for one county to lift. 

Tax exempt revenue bonds over 30 years.   At 3% interest, that works out to annual debt service payments of about $12-$13 million.    Probably recouped from hotel tax or ticket tax revenue.  Not that big a nut.

Edited by Shake_My_Head

3 minutes ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

This has to be a very dark day for Mike Florio! 😂 

"Well, I havent seen a signed lease agreement yet, so the possibility remains that the Bills could relocate to one or more of Toronto, San Antonio, Portland, Mexico City, or Albuquerque."

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, qwksilver said:

This is good news!

Without the dome, hopefully they design it, to somehow, keep the wind elements to a minimum.

I read somewhere that 80% of the seats are protected from wind and precipitation. 

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

What does "Built For Buffalo" mean?

Extra wide seats?

• Haha (+1) 7

1 hour ago, boater said:

It means 550mil from the Pegula's...keeping in mind the 200mil from the NFL is only a loan from the NFL to the Pegula's, which they must pay back.

This is 100% wrong.

The Pegula’s don’t pay it back to the NFL.

The set-up of the NFL loan process for stadiums is that this money is removed from the visiting teams shares to pay back the loans.  

It is money that does not go into the shared pool and is “payed back” by all of the Owners - not the Pegula’s themselves.

By keeping the stadium at 60-62K. It adjusts for a shrinking population over the next 30 years. It also might be a case of pricing out the lowest market fan who tend to cause the most trouble in the stadium and the creation of PSL's and what they think the number is who can truly afford it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep,  hopefully it's built so that it can be fully enclosed later.    RWS was built for 14 game seasons that ended the second week in December.........once we get to 18 game seasons with 2 byes the season will be ending in late January and the conference playoffs could be wrapping up in late February.     January is the worst weather month in WNY but the season potentially extending 2 months deeper into winter in itself will be challenging...........especially for those who have to travel a long way to get to the stadium.   The un-tapped future of sports team revenue is milking patrons AFTER they are in the stadium so forcing them to make a business decision just to show up to your venue isn't profit-wise, IMO. 

Can the season start a week earlier ??

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I have no idea and this is going to be a pointless post that you should read at your own risk but I’m gonna say some of the seating areas are covered lol

I hope so.  otherwise good luck selling PSL season tix

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I do wish we could keep the same seating capacity (or *gasp* increase it), but otherwise can’t complain about keeping the Bills in WNY for 30+ years. 

“Siri, remind me to check on the Bills’ stadium lease in 2059.”

At the prices they are going to charge including PSL fee there will be many fans who get priced out unfortunately. They know this so that's why its 60-62K

18 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is 100% wrong.

The Pegula’s don’t pay it back to the NFL.

The set-up of the NFL loan process for stadiums is that this money is removed from the visiting teams shares to pay back the loans.  

It is money that does not go into the shared pool and is “payed back” by all of the Owners - not the Pegula’s themselves.

You are correct. My original source was wrong.

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Rich was built in 14 months.. why the wait? theres no reason this cant be done in 2 years... 

It took 3 years to build MetLife right next to Giants Stadium. It was a pain in the ass with the parking those years. Both stadiums were standing which reduced the amount of parking spots. I would imagine it will be the same thing here.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

It took 3 years to build MetLife right next to Giants Stadium. It was a pain in the ass with the parking those years. Both stadiums were standing which reduced the amount of parking spots. I would imagine it will be the same thing here.

They should make a deal with McKinley Mall for extra parking with shuttle buses.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Ross Murdock said:

Exciting News!! Buffalo remains on the world stage and conscience by having an ultra-rare commodity. Our 58th largest US city and small snowy outpost will continue to have a very precious commodity. A franchise of the worlds most popular and exciting sport. In the coming years there will be NFL franchises in England - Germany - Spain - Canada - Mexico etc. Buffalo be part of the conversation whenever football is discussed Vs. being a Toledo, Omaha, or some other long forgotten place that is seldom thought of or mentioned... If in 1959 when Ralph Wilson uttered the words - "I'm purchasing an AFL franchise (For $25 grand!) for the city of Buffalo NY" he changed the course of history for this city for the better unlike anything else since. Period. Plus with the continuance of outdoor football (The only real kind). Buffalo maintains it's heritage of a tough, hard-scrabble town, where the inhabitance work hard, raise solid families, and go root for their football team, come rain or shine, snow or wind. We'll be their. LETS GO BUFFALLO!! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1