New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How does it make sense to build a new stadium with LESS seats than the current stadium despite taking up 600,000 more square footage?  I mean it literally has a 66% bigger footprint than old stadium but 8000 less seats.  

Especially for a team that sells out every home game regardless of weather or how good or bad the team is.

8,000 less seats is almost 12% less seats than the current stadium.  That’s just gonna make tickets cost even more and harder to get.  

Bills literally just made a deal to build the second smallest stadium in the NFL in terms of seating capacity.  Only Soldier field will have less seats (only 500 less seats).

This makes no sense.  

I can’t explain the size of the stadium outside of the fact that the current stadium is just very small in terms of space.

As for capacity, the belief is that sports are trending more to being a TV experience and therefore don’t require as many seats. 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How does it make sense to build a new stadium with LESS seats than the current stadium despite taking up 600,000 more square footage?  I mean it literally has a 66% bigger footprint than old stadium but 8000 less seats.  

Especially for a team that sells out every home game regardless of weather or how good or bad the team is.

8,000 less seats is almost 12% less seats than the current stadium.  That’s just gonna make tickets cost even more and harder to get.  

Bills literally just made a deal to build the second smallest stadium in the NFL in terms of seating capacity.  Only Soldier field will have less seats (only 500 less seats).

This makes no sense.  

I would imagine the space will be cost apportioned in a different manner.

So fewer seats, but nicer seats with more amenities at much greater prices--and critically---way, way more luxury suites or tiers of luxury suites.

I.E., fewer seats but more revenue.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

What does "Built For Buffalo" mean?

It will take into account typical weather conditions - 1 day of spring, 3 days of summer, 1 day of autumn and 360 days of winter that, according to the national stereotype, Buffalo suffers from. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

I can’t explain the size of the stadium outside of the fact that the current stadium is just very small in terms of space.

As for capacity, the belief is that sports are trending more to being a TV experience and therefore don’t require as many seats. 

More space is fine, but reducing seating capacity to the best home fan base in the NFL by 12% is stupid IMHO

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I wonder if City of Austin still has time to swing a deal for move as in original article with estimate?

The team is prohibited from speaking to any other municipalities until September so all the paperwork can be done without other municipalities trying to beat it with a better offer before all the legal stuff is finished & signed.  

Just now, Albany,n.y. said:

The team is prohibited from speaking to any other municipalities until September so all the paperwork can be done without other municipalities trying to beat it with a better offer before all the legal stuff is finished & signed.  

I was being sarcastic regarding the "new report" which came from Albany which seemed to be designed to rally efforts against a stadium.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

I would imagine the space will be cost apportioned in a different manner.

So fewer seats, but nicer seats with more amenities at much greater prices--and critically---way, way more luxury suites or tiers of luxury suites.

I.E., fewer seats but more revenue.

All of this.   It will be a more pleasant place to visit, and it will be more profitable.  

The era of the big stadiums is pretty much done, except for the occasional palaces that some owners insist on.   Ralph Wilson insisted that the original Orchard Park stadium be 80,000 seats, because he wanted to maximize his ticket revenue.   Gradually, the stadium was downsized, because the extra cost of a larger stadium wasn't justified by the occasional additional revenue of a sellout.  

The place will no doubt be a nice place to visit than the current stadium.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This makes no sense.  

Smaller stadiums with nicer amenities and higher prices is the way to go.  Go to any newer stadium and you will see there us much more room to move around and there are better and more diverse food and drink options. 

This part of the design makes sense. It should have been a downtown dome but once that was not on the table, this is the best they can do.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 17islongenough said:

30 years seems like a long time to build a stadium

It does, but it's par for the course with Erie County and NY State politics leading the charge. The first 10 years will be getting the architect agreed upon, drawing up plans, and going through the approval with a new study and committee. But only after they approve the new Peace Bridge.

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This makes no sense, why have less Bills Mafia at each home game?  Best and loudest fan base in the league.

Well, there is that pesky reality that the Buffalo area population is 14% smaller (nearly 190,000) than when the Ralph was built.   

More seats => more out-of-town fans.    

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Lucas Oil cost $720M. How can they spend $1.4B and not have a domed stadium that can be used year round? 

This is a horrible deal for taxpayers. 

Im in construction and prices are out of hand.   If they built this stadium at the same as Lucas I’m sure it would be  well below $700M. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Smaller stadiums with nicer amenities and higher prices is the way to go.  Go to any newer stadium and you will see there us much more room to move around and there are better and more diverse food and drink options. 

This part of the design makes sense. It should have been a downtown dome but once that was not on the table, this is the best they can do.

All the newest stadiums have between 3,000 and 18,000 more seats than this new stadium.  So how is “smaller the way to go”?  No one else is doing “smaller”.  

And they added 600,000 more square feet as it is, there is plenty of room to move around and still keep your seating capacity up.  

We are literally building the smallest stadium in the NFL.  For the best and most engaged fan base in the league…one that sells out every home game.  

Im all for having more space to move around, but you can do that and still keep your capacity bigger than the smallest in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1