Draft news/impact - Michigan LB David Ojabo tore his Achilles

Draconator

Sad for him. You really hate to see that. I hope he is able to recover quickly. 

This means one less guy that goes off the board before we pick at 25. Tough because he’s not a position of need, had the potential to push a few guys down we would be more inclined to take. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

This means one less guy that goes off the board before we pick at 25. Tough because he’s not a position of need, had the potential to push a few guys down we would be more inclined to take. 

Elite passrusher is ALWAYS a position of need.  If he’s still there at 25 it’s a real conversation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

gives us the option to trade down or even just take him as a future guy.   

15 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

gives us the option to trade down or even just take him as a future guy.   

I wouldn’t take him RD1

If he’s around when we pick again in RD2… maybe. If he’s there in RD3 I’m running to the podium or trading up if I’m Beane. 

This will be a tough evaluation for teams. 

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Elite passrusher is ALWAYS a position of need.  If he’s still there at 25 it’s a real conversation.

Sure. If he was healthy I think it’s a conversation, he would likely be BPA. 

I wouldn’t touch an Achilles tear in the 1st round. It’s not a conversation there at 25. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I wouldn’t take him RD1

If he’s around when we pick again in RD2… maybe. If he’s there in RD3 I’m running to the podium or trading up if I’m Beane. 

This will be a tough evaluation for teams. 

Sure. If he was healthy I think it’s a conversation, he would likely be BPA. 

I wouldn’t touch an Achilles tear in the 1st round. It’s not a conversation there at 25. 

How elite?

It’s not a position of need. And it’s a major worry coming off an Achilles injury. But this kid is elite. Just in a short 3min vid this kid had like 6 strip sacks. He’s a turnover machine. 

hes 100% in the conversation at 57. And honestly, it should be thought about if it’s at 25. 

Edited by mrags

21 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Unless it's a franchise QB you can draft a first round player to sit a year especially when you don't know how he will recover.  I'm not sure much about his game but if he requires a burst from that foot I would imagine he won't be himself for two years.  I know this is similar to mcgahee and I'm not confident we did the best thing in that situation.  Could McGahee been a much better back than he was, I would imagine so.

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

First round picks should skip all underwear drills. Only ends up bad. Go for the interviews and medical and nothing more. 

let your tape do the talking. 

Kayvon Thibodeaux took some criticism for leaving the combine early because he said the drills were so far apart in time. But why risk injury when he has little to gain and a lot to lose? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Pretty amazing to see how far we've come in the past couple of decades with this injury. Previously, if you tore your achilles, no way you could come back and have the kind of power and force needed to be an impact, speed NFL player—ever, much less in 6 months.

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Bucky Brooks tweeted out video of the injury and said that he couldn’t believe the lack of concern from the coaches and officials that were there. I totally agree. They cared more about retrieving the football than a guy in obvious pain. ☹️

Yeah I remember seeing that on the NFL network, just no sense of urgency from anyone, felt like we were moments away from someone yelling out "hey David could you get out of the way the next guys up."

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If they give him the same timeframe as Akers, I wouldn’t be upset with taking him at 25.  He will be available around week 6-8.  

That was so irresponsible for Shefter to tweet that "doctors expect Ojabo to be on the same timeline as Cam Akers" (6 months, which is an anomaly... 9-12 months is typical).

This sort of recovery is about as predictable as the weather in WNY.

Also ridiculous is the statement that "Doctors expect a full and complete recovery." When have doctors ever not expected a full and complete recovery and even if they didn't, would they ever say it?

Thank you very little, Shefty.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/19/2022 at 10:08 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

Agree 100%.

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah I remember seeing that on the NFL network, just no sense of urgency from anyone, felt like we were moments away from someone yelling out "hey David could you get out of the way the next guys up."

yeah, that's cold

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If they give him the same timeframe as Akers, I wouldn’t be upset with taking him at 25.  He will be available around week 6-8.  

Who knows what his health will be. Akers came back in week 18 and was a nonfactor the rest of the way.

• Like (+1) 1

Could not justify taking him in the first, BUT, I could see sending next years first to somebody to get him in the second.  You think you are picking 32 next year, you aren’t getting that talent in that range and it’s always a position of need.  If you can pull it off, I’d be happy with it.

• Like (+1) 1

3rd round, maybe. He may never recover from that injury, it happens

JMO

78 Achilles tendon ruptures were identified in professional football players during the 2010-2015 NFL seasons. 58% of
these injuries occurred during the preseason. Of those that suffered an Achilles tendon rupture, 26% did not ever return to play

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2473011417S000314

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t think his draft stock is going to drop actually. Same with that receiver from Alabama. 

We’ll see.. If either Williams or Ojabo are there at 25, the injury affected their draft stock. 

32 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

3rd round, maybe. He may never recover from that injury, it happens

JMO

78 Achilles tendon ruptures were identified in professional football players during the 2010-2015 NFL seasons. 58% of
these injuries occurred during the preseason. Of those that suffered an Achilles tendon rupture, 26% did not ever return to play

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2473011417S000314

Excellent information 

You people are high if you think we are taking him at 25. Come on, we are in win now mode. It’s WR or CB, not a busted EDGE when we just signed Miller. Achilles injury is worse than an ACL. It’s a tendon it connects a muscle to a bone, the ACL just keeps 2 bones stable. You never know how these guys are going to recover it’s just not easy to predict like an ACL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.