JD Mckissic to Bills 2 year, 7 million

BillsMafi$

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Meh. I feel like the Bills offseason plan is to maintain the status quo. I know we dont have cap space blah blah blah. If you dont have cap space you dont need an $4M per RB that may not see the field. Spend under $1M on a JAG and use the money elsewhere. Hey we could be fine and battle through the playoffs. Still time - but wish they made a run at the big impact need for a pass rusher or another WR. 

They saved money on Saffold over Williams and, at the very least, didn't downgrade the OL.

They saved money on Settle/Jones over Harry/Butler, and likely upgraded the IDL.

Now they signed a top 3 receiving back in the NFL... an offensive element we haven't really utilized in seasons past.  This move is not status quo.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

2nd string as will take Moss's spot.  Good 3rd down back with WR receiving skills and better blocker in pass pro than Moss

Maybe better than last year but Moss as a rookie was one of the best pass pro backs I have seen in a long time. Dude blocked his man like it was Tecmo Bowl and had him tied up for 3 or 4 seconds

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Who is they?  Daboll?  When is the last time that you saw Dorsey call a football game?  I’ll wait

I agree.

I would argue Dorsey and Shula should make Bills fans look at how McCaffery was used in Carolina during their times there and that is how likely the Bills RBs will be used going foward.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I really like McKissic.    He does everything quick.    Picks up yardage quick running and catches the ball and transitions into a runner very quick.........that's how you end up with nice averages per play.    He's not explosive so not going to be a bunch of big plays or anything............but he really fits the style of offense that they were playing late last season where they were always in 3rd and 4 or less because he picks up yardage consistently.

he’ll also  likely fill the void in the post-Beasley passing game. He gets open in short yardage situations and has great hands. I hope somebody likes Cole enough to offer a pick..

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For all those saying he'll be third string or inactive or he's the same as Yeldon/Breida.

No, he won't, and no, he isn't.

He's third among ALL running backs in receptions and receiving yards the last three seasons. He caught EIGHTY passes in 2020. 

For the money they're paying him, and given his pass catching and pass blocking prowess, he'll be active on Sundays, will be the primary 3rd down back, and given how much the Bills pass the ball, he'll play a ton of snaps.

I echo others in saying that I don't love how much he's being paid. On the other hand, one of the Bills Twitter guys points out that you can think of this more as an addition to the passing game than to the running game. McKissick will both help keep Josh upright and provide production in the passing game.

Furthermore, we saw as the year went on that when teams went two high against the Bills, Josh checked the ball down to the running backs A TON. Knowing that, they clearly went after a guy who can actually be a weapon on those plays rather than just an afterthought. At the end of the day, a guy who gets you +/- 800 yards from scrimmage and turns checkdowns into 1st downs is a good get. Still don't love the money, though...

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Mikie's Bills said:

Wonder if the emphasis on having more athletic lineman this year points to more RB screens in the offense, something McKissic excels at.

the first succesful screen pass or draw play in Bills history to a RB will be the first succesful screen pass or draw play in Bills history

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

For all those saying he'll be third string or inactive or he's the same as Yeldon/Breida.

No, he won't, and no, he isn't.

He's third among ALL running backs in receptions and receiving yards the last three seasons. He caught EIGHTY passes in 2020. 

For the money they're paying him, and given his pass catching and pass blocking prowess, he'll be active on Sundays, will be the primary 3rd down back, and given how much the Bills pass the ball, he'll play a ton of snaps.

I echo others in saying that I don't love how much he's being paid. On the other hand, one of the Bills Twitter guys points out that you can think of this more as an addition to the passing game than to the running game. McKissick will both help keep Josh upright and provide production in the passing game.

Furthermore, we saw as the year went on that when teams went two high against the Bills, Josh checked the ball down to the running backs A TON. Knowing that, they clearly went after a guy who can actually be a weapon on those plays rather than just an afterthought. At the end of the day, a guy who gets you +/- 800 yards from scrimmage and turns checkdowns into 1st downs is a good get. Still don't love the money, though...

Looks like a Yac guy to me

Good football player.  Adds a lot of versatility to the mix.    I can even see him used in the slot occasionally on bunch 3-WR sets.     

'Movement' may be the watchword in this year's offense.   A more athletic OL.   Better 3rd down passing option at RB.    Accentuating what Josh does best--move around in the pocket, work off script.     I'd love to see another WR added in FA or early in the draft (Christian Watson, please) to keep the offense humming.

Edited by Shake_My_Head

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

He’s the dude that you agonize over picking up on Fantasy Waivers in Week 12 because your entire roster is on bye or injured and your desperate…but not sure if you are THAT desperate!

I have him on my rosters from week 1 on both the last two years in a PPR league (just saying)

19 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

Exactly.  They don’t use that type of back properly.  You can have a mismatch in the passing game all day but we never send tha back out on a wheel route.

We have a new offense coordinator who is going to put a spin on the offense. They will design plays 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

Dont see the point in this.  I would have rather spent the money on the O line and roll with the RBs we have.

Need a RB to be inactive so people can question "Why is he inactive?" On game days.

Edited by TBBills
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, junior said:

157* receptions the last 3 years. He adds an entirely different element to this offense that we don't currently have on the roster.

32 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

125 catches over last two years is pretty good while not being a starter 

32 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

125 catches in two years is not inspiring? Come on man

Who says I can't change my mind? :)

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

One of the best receiving backs in the league 

To whomever laughed at this statement, he was 2nd in receptions, receiving yards, and receiving 1st downs amongst all RB’s last season. Yolo is correct, he IS one of the best receiving backs in the league. It’s a fact, not an opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I watch many Washington games when they don't conflict with Bills games. This was a steal, he will take Singletary's spot if if Devin isn't careful.

JD brings the excitement. We will not be drafting a RB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

the first succesful screen pass or draw play in Bills history to a RB will be the first succesful screen pass or draw play in Bills history

You don't recall any when Gailey was coach and Fred Jackson was RB?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

My guess is you missed 2001 Larry Centers Pro Bowl year here (80 catches) and the Thurman Thomas 1989-1994 years (327 catches) too.  Thurman on the draw play was deadly btw

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

To whomever laughed at this statement, he was 2nd in receptions, receiving yards, and receiving 1st downs amongst all RB’s last season. Yolo is correct, he IS one of the best receiving backs in the league. It’s a fact, not an opinion. 

Ignore it, I'm pretty sure McKissic stole TBBills' girlfriend at some point based on the unreasonable negativity.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1