Get Christian McCaffery to be our #1... slot WR...???

transplantbillsfan

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

James White is another free agent..........he's got some miles on him.......and a season ending hip injury in 2021 doesn't bode well for an older RB.........and he's typically been a below average option to hand the ball off to.........really more of a true "3rd down" back.

The hip is a concern but 300 career carries ain't bad.  Great receiver and would add a veteran winning presence.    

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

At this point, too injured, too much $, and reliability moving forward is not high in confidence.  They ran him into the ground.  Just like TN will eventually do to King Henry (I’d say two years from now).  Just like Seattle did to S. Alexander.

Henry might be an AP where he can’t be run into the ground. I’m glad CMC got paid for his skills, but I don't see him playing more than 10 games in a year. No way I want him on that contract

• Sad 1

Anywhere I look on the web the Avg. career of an NFL RB is 2.57 years. In his 1st three years he started in 42 games and had almost 930 touches. More of a load each year. A total of 10 games the last 2 years. 1,138 touches and a steep decline due to injuries. Some articles mentioned after getting 1800 touches, production declines. Sharply. Others mention a sharp decline after a 400 touch season. The numbers are out there. I think he's shot and would seek a RB who doesn't have the wear and tear on his body(and cheaper). I believe his last 2 injuries were leg injuries. Not good for a RB with the miles he has on him. He wouldn't have helped us the past 2 seasons with his lack of availability and I think the trend continues. Good for him on getting paid, though. Just glad it wasn't us. 

197 touches in 2017

326 touches in 2018

403 touches in 2019

only 3 games played in 2020

only 7 games played in 2021

Edit: Not sure how trading a healthy Edmunds for a broke down RB is a good deal. I am so glad these people don't make the decisions at OBD.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Anywhere I look on the web the Avg. career of an NFL RB is 2.57 years. In his 1st three years he started in 42 games and had almost 930 touches. More of a load each year. A total of 10 games the last 2 years. 1,138 touches and a steep decline due to injuries. Some articles mentioned after getting 1800 touches, production declines. Sharply. Others mention a sharp decline after a 400 touch season. The numbers are out there. I think he's shot and would seek a RB who doesn't have the wear and tear on his body(and cheaper). I believe his last 2 injuries were leg injuries. Not good for a RB with the miles he has on him. He wouldn't have helped us the past 2 seasons with his lack of availability and I think the trend continues. Good for him on getting paid, though. Just glad it wasn't us. 

197 touches in 2017

326 touches in 2018

403 touches in 2019

only 3 games played in 2020

only 7 games played in 2021

Edit: Not sure how trading a healthy Edmunds for a broke down RB is a good deal. I am so glad these people don't make the decisions at OBD.

I think you should adjust your comparisons to more relevant samples, like say RBs selected within the first 10 picks.  Or maybe HOF RBs (which CMC certainly could be).  CMC is closer to the HOF sample than the average RB sample.  When you say the numbers are out there, you are refering to small sample sizes with high variability.  Hard to apply those figures as any indicator of how CMC will do.  I think CMC will rebound.

Here is Josh's Thurman Thomas.  And no offense to the 90s Bills but this has the look of:  Josh>Kelly, CMC>Thurman, Diggs>Reed, offensive juggernaut.

I floated the Edmunds throw-in because I was agreeing with the poster who couldn't believe the CMC acquisition would be possible for a 3rd and 5th (plus paying $8M).  IMO, trading Edmunds helps the FO (and my fears) get out of paying Edmunds big money.

I think a trade for Barkley is more likely

given the familiarity of the front offices.  Beasley, Feliciano, Moss, and a 6th rounder for Barkley.  Giants need to purge some bad contracts.  They get 3 starters and a draft pick for basically same cap space as Barkley. Bills take a swing on a big play RB by trading 3 guys they were likely moving on from anyways.  

On 2/22/2022 at 3:31 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Not lengthy, just concentrated over the last 2 seasons.

Seems like everyone's forgotten he was injury free for his first 3 years in the NFL.

Im more concerned about CMC injury history than say Barkley because CMC has a lot of soft tissue issues which can be chronic.  Barkley had a couple unlucky injuries that would have hurt anyone.  

Im not against CMC coming here, but the injury issue is a legit concern given the types he has had and frequency the last 2 years.  

• Agree 1

On 2/21/2022 at 8:23 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont think you guys read the article.  His cap hit is almost a wash with Beasley in trade according to the article.  Says he has $8.1M cap hit and Beasley in trade clears over $7M in space.  

At this point, with the emergence of Knox and Davis, our slot guy is our #4 target. Maybe even #5 if Josh sticks to what he has learned about taking what the D gives and finding the RB to dump to on a regular basis.

No way should we be spending that much money on our 4th/5th target, regardless if it is Beasley, CMC, or anyone else.

Extend and restructure Diggs, extend/re-sign Knox since he is due this year, get ready to extend Davis, find a speedy slot guy in the mid-rounds of the draft. IMO.

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im more concerned about CMC injury history than say Barkley because CMC has a lot of soft tissue issues which can be chronic.  Barkley had a couple unlucky injuries that would have hurt anyone.  

Im not against CMC coming here, but the injury issue is a legit concern given the types he has had and frequency the last 2 years.  

Yeah I had similar thoughts. Was going to say I would have pretty much the same amount of concern regarding CMC as I would Barkley, maybe even a little more so about availability.

Also imo it's not the position I would consider the most important for an upgrade needed to get that final push. 

• Agree 1

There was some interesting chatter today about a proposed trade on the NFL Network.

I kind of like this deal but other Bills fans were 100% opposed given his contract and injury history.  

As long as he could stay healthy, I think he would bring a new dimension to the offense that Josh has never had.  

Still I know Beane really values 1st round draft picks.  I can’t see him trading #25 this year.  

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, offyourocker said:

No way.  Would be very disappointing.  Maybe a seond

You would be disappointed for a second?? I would be mad for over 30 minutes

Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 2

🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩

A first for a player of Diggs caliber and health record, sure,  his contract was absorbable when the trade was made, unlike CMC’s would be this season, on top of his injury record, no bueno, given we are currently over the cap, it doesn’t sound Beane thing to do, 

You damn well better have all your ducks in a row before you pull that first round pick/trade trigger. 

47 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Nope. We have no cap room and I don't think overpaying an injury-prone rb and giving up a first rounder is smart in the long term. Draft a rb or sign a veteran much cheaper.

The injury is the big question mark. The RB you draft or sign is not going to have the impact a healthy McCaffrey will 

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Not a chance

You’d rather have another Greg Rosseau?

• Eyeroll 2

7 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The injury is the big question mark. The RB you draft or sign is not going to have the impact a healthy McCaffrey will 

You’d rather have another Greg Rosseau?

Yes vs. a guy who plays maybe a third of games.  And especially at RB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.