Get Christian McCaffery to be our #1... slot WR...???

transplantbillsfan

Eh, I think it’s too much compensation for a highly injury prone player.

Besides, how does this make us better on defense?

I think Beane, Allen and Diggs, are going to get us a primo WR on a one year deal or some type of bargain at least to keep the offense loaded with weapons. I want those two picks. Beane has gotten Singletary, Knox and Brown with third rounders….

The offense only needs a WR, OL and RB. We get the WR in free agency. Draft the OL around the third round and another back around the fifth. Moss is by no means over with. We just need a third back for depth and competition. I actually think Moss bounces back somehow (even though he looked pretty bad last season. But so did Singletary there for awhile. Moss has got to find his game.

• Vomit 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see either Barkley or EMC in a Bills uniform next season.  Given our connection to both teams/front offices, the trade lines here are there for something to happen.  I think both guys could benefit from a change of scenery and better training facilities.  

In terms of health issues, EMC is more concerning.  I would be less concerned about Barkley health issues, as EMC seems to have a lot of soft tissue issues which can be more chronic.  Barkley were a couple bad breaks more than something that seems chronic.  

But I think either of these guys are potential candidates to land here in trade in this offseason.  Not saying its a sure thing, but I think its possible Beane at least checks in on both these guys availability.  

Sorry, who is EMC? 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

I don’t have a problem bringing him in, the money can be balanced out and he is an elite talent when healthy. I just don’t want to then limit his utility by turning him into a strict slot guy. 

That would be stupid. He'd be a hybrid slot WR/RB, obviously 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think people are underestimating CMC’s trade value. Beasley, a 3rd, and a 5th? We going to throw in Cody Ford while we are at it? 

If they move CMC, he will probably net Carolina a 1st round pick and he would probably agree to restructure to make the deal work. 

So you mean straight up 1st for him? Or players and that?

He's been injured the last 2 years... he's not netting what the Vikings got when we traded for Diggs. And he shouldn't 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Sure, swing for the fences, but don’t pay thru the nose for a a “big name” with a well known injury history. 

Step back, look at the big picture. I’d prefer Gabe Davis over McCaffrey going forward, especially given the cap expense. Get the next Gabe with the draft picks you saved. Use the savings for guys we need to keep. 

I don’t like the idea of shopping for bling. I like nuts and bolts. 

You think giving them Beasley (this is basically a contract swap) and throwing in a 3rd and a 5th is "paying thru the nose?" Seriously?

So what would you give?

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Bills could just re-sign McKenzie.

Problem solved.

You're not suggesting McKenzie is on par with McCaffrey, are you?

I agree that Li'l Dirty is a cheaper, lower ceiling (maybe higher floor?) answer to a similar question, but...they are not the same. Availability matters, of course, and familiarity is also nice, so the McKittrick idea is the Occam's Razor to this slot/playmaker quandary. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Here is McCaffrey's injury history (for reference):

2017 season: No missed time due to injuries

2018 season: No missed time due to injuries

2019 season: No missed time due to injuries

Sep 20, 2020: Pedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3 suffered a right high-ankle sprain Week 2 and missed six games

Nov 8, 2020: Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain injured his shoulder on the last drive of Week 9. Missed 4 games

Dec 9, 2020: Thigh Glute Strain Week 14. Missed 4 games.

Sep 23, 2021: Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 suffered a strained hamstring in Week 3. Missed five games.

Nov 28, 2021: Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 rolled his left ankle in Week 12. Placed on injured reserve. Ruled out for the remainder of the season.

No doubt he'd be a risk, even in the slot. I mean is it just bad luck the last two years or can his body just not hold up to the physicality of the game? But, I'd still be willing to take a gamble on him at either position (RB or slot WR). He's still young. And as has been said, he wouldn't have to carry the load in Buffalo---at RB, he and Devin could be a great one-two punch; at slot, less hits, other great WRs to share the load. And we are pretty darn good without him, so if we lose him for some time, we wouldn't be up a creek without a paddle...we obviously wouldn't be putting all of our eggs in the McCaffrey basket (as another team might). But with him healthy, the Bills offense could be generational. If Car is willing to part with him, I'd say take a shot and then use him as a swiss army knife, in multiple roles. 

And it's not just that the Bills have better training facilities, it's that the Bills have a great training staff (strength and conditioning, nutrition, etc., etc.). The Bills have been one of the least injured teams under McDermott's staff/tenure. So, maybe they could help to make a difference in the health department.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

You're not suggesting McKenzie is on par with McCaffrey, are you?

I agree that Li'l Dirty is a cheaper, lower ceiling (maybe higher floor?) answer to a similar question, but...they are not the same. Availability matters, of course, and familiarity is also nice, so the McKittrick idea is the Occam's Razor to this slot/playmaker quandary. 

I’m not suggesting that McKenzie is on par with McCaffrey at all, but at least McKenzie is mostly available, which is more than fine with Josh at the helm.

• Sad 2

I wouldn’t trade much to get him unless we knew he was over his injuries.  Are his injuries a product of poor coaching?  Poor strength and conditioning?  Does he want out?

3 year ago McCaffery would be great addition for sure.  Now?  Too many injuries over the last 3 seasons don’t make him the “over the top” player we need.

Unless we can swing him for a late round pick (not happening), we need to bolster other areas of this team - defensive tackle, O-line, EDGE, middle linebacker, punter are all more important than a RB.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, motorj said:

I'd prefer Mcaffery over Sasquan...

You know what they say about guys with big feet,,,

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Sorry, who is EMC? 

Maybe he meant ECMC? (Ouch!)

Seriously though, Christian's dad was a superb wide receiver (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCaEd00.htm) and the kid played at Stanford meaning he's smart.

I'm not in favor of the hypothetical trade but I'm pretty sure CMC could transition to WR.

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm sorry but cmac for Beasley and a couple picks is worth it. You think he is getting hurt here when he wouldn't be getting 85% of the touches on offense? I don't. But would there need to be some salary retention on the Panthers end, yes. At least enough to make it money in/money out. That's the kind of player maker the Bills could use but yes the injuries would remain a concern. I'd rather pick up Tony Pollard if he doesn't break the bank.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/cole-beasley-christian-mccaffrey-trade/amp/

I gotta be honest, I really like this. We all know the Carolina pipeline is real and with Beane there helping to draft him and Dorsey in Carolina his rookie year this gets even more realistic.

The proposal (by Spotrac) is to trade Beasley and a 3rd & 5th round pick for McCaffery as he takes the role he's theoretically better suited for as a slot WR. Of course he'd be able to play more of the hybrid WR/RB role that kinda took over the league last year and we know he'd be effective if he can stay healthy... and we all know that's a big if.

And as for what we could afford, it'd basically be an even trade in terms of what we owe Beas and what we'd owe McCaffery.

I completely acknowledge this would be a gamble because the guy just can't stay healthy, but turning him into a slot WR has gotta help with that a bit. The best ability is availability and McCaffery has been unavailable so much, but I actually this might be the reason the Panthers would be willing to part with him. And when he is on the field, he's one of the best players in the NFL.

I know we have a thread asking about players that might push us over the hump and I was gonna put this in there, but I think this very specific proposal for this player would be intriguing. I like this idea better than trading for Saquan as RB1.

No thanks his career is just nothing but injuries. He will never be great b.c he cannot stay on the field.

The guy pulls hamstrings just warming up.

Edited by TBBills
  • Vomit 1

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That would be stupid. He'd be a hybrid slot WR/RB, obviously 

So you mean straight up 1st for him? Or players and that?

He's been injured the last 2 years... he's not netting what the Vikings got when we traded for Diggs. And he shouldn't 

Straight up first. If he can restructure his deal just a little, there will be teams that would trade a first for him. His contract is the major issue— otherwise, he is worth rolling the dice on the injury front.

11 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I want nothing to do with Barkley. He is abysmal. If you've never watched a Giants game, you wouldn't understand and you'd want him because of his pedigree.

He does not put his head down and hit the hole. For as gigantic as he is, he runs like he's afraid of contact. He bounces every chance he gets and will never grind out a 1 or 2 yard gain. 

Exactly what I see every time I have watched him play. 

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Read the article... this proposal was by a guy who gets paid to examine NFL contracts not some Joe Schmo or some Florida Bills Fanatic.

Don't know if this is a joke, but it would require a trade.

He was healthy and uninjured 3 out of his 5 years in the NFL

With all of the needs of the team, spending this much on a RB that has been over used  and recently injured is a fools errand.  They have better uses of their limited cap resources.  Understanding how individual contracts work, does not necessarily put those pieces together to construct a championship roster.  If it did, very few people would ever struggle as a GM of an NFL team.  Additionally, grade school level sarcasm, doesn't make this proposal any more likely or smart.

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

I’m not suggesting that McKenzie is on par with McCaffrey at all, but at least McKenzie is mostly available, which is more than fine with Josh at the helm.

125 of McKenzie’s 178 total yards this year came in the 12/26 NE game. Lil’ dirty totally played like Beast Mode in that game but to say let’s just give him a bigger role is irrational. McKenzie is a great guy but come on man!!! 😂

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I'd just sign McKenzie and use him like a smaller poor man's Deebo or CMC. We started to use him like this towards the end of the year and he was productive with the limited touches. 

WTF 😬 pretty sure I watched every game. He played great against NEP on 12/26. That was pretty much it. To have McKenzie’s name in the same sentence with those other two guys is flat out delusional. Is this a joke trying to trigger people like me? 😂

• Vomit 1

12 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I want nothing to do with Barkley. He is abysmal. If you've never watched a Giants game, you wouldn't understand and you'd want him because of his pedigree.

He does not put his head down and hit the hole. For as gigantic as he is, he runs like he's afraid of contact. He bounces every chance he gets and will never grind out a 1 or 2 yard gain. 

Agreed.  He has home run potential, but he isn't nearly as shifty as he thinks and doesn't use his size or power.  

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He'd be less than a $7M cap hit this upcoming season. And it's funny because I know you're attempting to be sarcastic with the rest of what you're saying... but you aren't pulling it off very well.

Yes McCaffery is an often injured running back... because he's not built to be an every down RB.

Making him a hybrid RB/slot WR makes a ton of sense and saves him from a lot of big hits.

I hope you can at least acknowledge that when he's on the field and healthy he's one of the best weapons in the NFL. Beasley's contract would make it almost an even exchange. 

Would you trade McCaffery for Beasley straight up? That's kinda a rhetorical question because you'd be a moron if you wouldn't... so how much extra draft capital becomes acceptable?

He had the one shoulder injury in 2020 but everything else is hamstring, glute, and high ankle sprains.  Those are all non-contact injuries and likely related to the original high ankle sprain in 2020 that he resprained in 2021.  I think its worth a shot if the price is low, but to me its a time bomb of when not if he will get injured.  

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/christian-mccaffrey/7750

Make sure you have a backup plan for slot WR, and RB/WR.  

• Sad 1

What is it with Bills fans wanting these often injured expensive offensive skill players?

McCaffery might be worth the money...alas that is money Buffalo doesn't have! 

First off, I'd rather see Buffalo go after someone like Cards OLB Chandler Jones or screwing NE and going after JC Jackson if Wallace leaves. 

What we know is that GM Brandon Beane is a wizard at making moves and currently the biggest need for this team is what Beane has already stated...protecting QB Josh Allen. Spend money on that first and see what's left.

Buffalo already has a top defense.

The last few games of last season we all saw what Josh can do to an opponent when he gets better protection in the pocket. Build that O line into a better than that 90's O line! 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

What is it with Bills fans wanting these often injured expensive offensive skill players?

McCaffery might be worth the money...alas that is money Buffalo doesn't have! 

First off, I'd rather see Buffalo go after someone like Cards OLB Chandler Jones or screwing NE and going after JC Jackson if Wallace leaves. 

What we know is that GM Brandon Beane is a wizard at making moves and currently the biggest need for this team is what Beane has already stated...protecting QB Josh Allen. Spend money on that first and see what's left.

Buffalo already has a top defense.

The last few games of last season we all saw what Josh can do to an opponent when he gets better protection in the pocket. Build that O line into a better than that 90's O line! 

They are not bad but they had a lot of trouble with good teams and good QB's. Despite the #1 ranking I would say they are more like an above average defense but not really elite.

13 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/cole-beasley-christian-mccaffrey-trade/amp/

I gotta be honest, I really like this. We all know the Carolina pipeline is real and with Beane there helping to draft him and Dorsey in Carolina his rookie year this gets even more realistic.

The proposal (by Spotrac) is to trade Beasley and a 3rd & 5th round pick for McCaffery as he takes the role he's theoretically better suited for as a slot WR. Of course he'd be able to play more of the hybrid WR/RB role that kinda took over the league last year and we know he'd be effective if he can stay healthy... and we all know that's a big if.

And as for what we could afford, it'd basically be an even trade in terms of what we owe Beas and what we'd owe McCaffery.

I completely acknowledge this would be a gamble because the guy just can't stay healthy, but turning him into a slot WR has gotta help with that a bit. The best ability is availability and McCaffery has been unavailable so much, but I actually this might be the reason the Panthers would be willing to part with him. And when he is on the field, he's one of the best players in the NFL.

I know we have a thread asking about players that might push us over the hump and I was gonna put this in there, but I think this very specific proposal for this player would be intriguing. I like this idea better than trading for Saquan as RB1.

Didn’t read the article and only made it through the first page…. Including all the armchair GMs and their forward looking takes😳

Maybe it was spoken of on the next three pages, maybe not: CMC was Abusively overused, Both by Norv Turner and Joe Brady!!!!

https://www.audacy.com/cbssportsradio/sports/nfl/panthers-have-overused-christian-mccaffrey-says-tiki-barber
     So, it’s a double edged sword. He’s definitely got at least a seasons more wear on him than he has played…. But he has also gotten a ton of rest the last two seasons. 
     Off the top of my head, the two big ones were an ankle and a hammy…. Not a knee or back or neck.

IMO, “injury history “ is a BS lazy take by a bunch of you who haven’t watched the guy game in and game out and don’t follow the Panthers.

Slot receiver????    
    Two things come to mind. Who was rated as being the best route runner in his draft class? ( Rhetorical question😉)

Remember when Kyle Allen was playing much better than Josh Allen? Who do you think his favorite target was?

I agree there are possible cap issues and it is a crap shoot but having a game changing talent on the level of JA on the field with JA doesn’t sound bad to me.

If only we had seen a team with a mediocre QB make a deep run in the playoffs with a guy who could play receiver but got used as a RB 🤔 we might think doing the same, in reverse wasn’t so far fetched.

I've always been a fan of McCaffrey he is uber athletic & has good speed & could be 1 more weapon to the Bills arsenal plus could be utilized in more than 1 role so i wouldn't be opposed to such a trade if the money worked out for the Bills .

I also think that maybe the Bills strength & conditioning department might be able to help him stay healthier that seems to be something that McD & company pride themselves in is focusing on the things that players can be weak in as far as their muscles & keeping them healthier than most teams .

Plus the Bills do have a need at the RB position but i still would like to see them draft a bigger back like a Isaiah Spiller this year i think he would be a great addition given his size and relatively decent speed maybe Motor could take him to the speed clinic he went to to help him but McCaffrey if the price is right might be a good band aid for now .

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

125 of McKenzie’s 178 total yards this year came in the 12/26 NE game. Lil’ dirty totally played like Beast Mode in that game but to say let’s just give him a bigger role is irrational. McKenzie is a great guy but come on man!!! 😂

WTF 😬 pretty sure I watched every game. He played great against NEP on 12/26. That was pretty much it. To have McKenzie’s name in the same sentence with those other two guys is flat out delusional. Is this a joke trying to trigger people like me? 😂

How do people struggle to understand that using someone in a role like another player, is not in anyway saying that that player is exactly like the others. 

Your total yardage is wrong as well smh

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

7 hours ago, folz said:

Here is McCaffrey's injury history (for reference):

2017 season: No missed time due to injuries

2018 season: No missed time due to injuries

2019 season: No missed time due to injuries

Sep 20, 2020: Pedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3 suffered a right high-ankle sprain Week 2 and missed six games

Nov 8, 2020: Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain injured his shoulder on the last drive of Week 9. Missed 4 games

Dec 9, 2020: Thigh Glute Strain Week 14. Missed 4 games.

Sep 23, 2021: Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 suffered a strained hamstring in Week 3. Missed five games.

Nov 28, 2021: Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 rolled his left ankle in Week 12. Placed on injured reserve. Ruled out for the remainder of the season.

No doubt he'd be a risk, even in the slot. I mean is it just bad luck the last two years or can his body just not hold up to the physicality of the game? But, I'd still be willing to take a gamble on him at either position (RB or slot WR). He's still young. And as has been said, he wouldn't have to carry the load in Buffalo---at RB, he and Devin could be a great one-two punch; at slot, less hits, other great WRs to share the load. And we are pretty darn good without him, so if we lose him for some time, we wouldn't be up a creek without a paddle...we obviously wouldn't be putting all of our eggs in the McCaffrey basket (as another team might). But with him healthy, the Bills offense could be generational. If Car is willing to part with him, I'd say take a shot and then use him as a swiss army knife, in multiple roles. 

And it's not just that the Bills have better training facilities, it's that the Bills have a great training staff (strength and conditioning, nutrition, etc., etc.). The Bills have been one of the least injured teams under McDermott's staff/tenure. So, maybe they could help to make a difference in the health department.

I think the Panthers beat the hell out of him in 2019 when he had 403 touches and 2392 yards from scrimmage, and he hasn't recovered yet

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

High risk/high reward.    We don't need a guy who lives on IR at a very high salary.  This year is reasonable then his contract kind of balloons up.  I dont think this is the right play.

It's basically a 2yr 20ish mil contract if you acquire him.  Years 3 and 4 have a total 1m in injury guarantees.  

Just now, dneveu said:

It's basically a 2yr 20ish mil contract if you acquire him.  Years 3 and 4 have a total 1m in injury guarantees.  

For a hybrid slot receiver who can run plays out of the backfield a la Deebo, that's a bargain.  I'd do this in a heartbeat.  You're using him less than Carolina was, but maximizing his touches.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

For a hybrid slot receiver who can run plays out of the backfield a la Deebo, that's a bargain.  I'd do this in a heartbeat.  You're using him less than Carolina was, but maximizing his touches.

its 4 year like 45 if you wanted to keep him, the last 2 years are salary/workout bonuses only and nonguaranteed.  Basically option years and you can tack on void years if you want to lower the cap burden in year 3.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.