Sean McVay considering stepping away from coaching?

YoloinOhio

Good coach, not great.

If he wins tomorrow, above average, not great coach.   Gotta win more than one to be considered with the best.  Nice hair doesn’t make you great.  

Goerge Seifert has two SB wins.  Never hear his name considered as a great coach.

Edited by davefan66

McVay may walk away after tomorrow or he could be setting up the Rams owner for a big bonus on returning for next year.

He's got Stafford for one more year and most of the team is still together.  They can take another mortgage out (everyone has

3 mortgages as Venkman tells Ray in Ghostbusters) and get one more chance before the whole Ponzi scheme comes apart in 2023.

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Modern day John Madden of he does.

Madden W- 103  L- 32 Pct- .759 1 Super Bowl

McVay W- 55  L- 26 Pct .679 No Super Bowl wins

Even if Rams win tomorrow.

Madden won more, revolutionized the broadcast booth, created probably the greatest video game emporium of all time, not to mention liked and respected worldwide.

McVay is not even a lug nut on Maddens bus tire.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Or he has mortgaged the team future cap money/ draft picks, and knows he has to let I all that talent go, and has no desire to walk that walk, the saints come to mind…,

This could be accurate. Win tomorrow and go out the conquering hero. Let the next guy “mess it up” because he was painted into a corner by the salary cap. Get paid millions to talk about football while never losing a game. Then jump back in with your pick of jobs if the mood strikes. He’d be the #1 candidate for every opening. 

• Agree 1

If I was McVay and assuming I win tomorrow, If I could ride off as a champion to an air conditioned press box for millions a year to talk about football and no real chance of being fired unless people just don't enjoy me? All day I'm gone.

Gruden obviously went down for other reasons, but everytime I seen him on the field for the Raiders after leaving the booth I was think man he has to regret this.

Talk about football with no repercussions if you are wrong and definitely welcomed back as a head coach if you decide you miss it. No Brainer, Rams cannot sustain the talent level needed for constant success at their rate.

Yah if he wins he may walk away long enough for the honey moon stage to wear off then he will be begging to get back to coaching he's not made that much money to this point that he can just walk away unless his gal already has enough cash that they don't have to worry about it .

Too it could be that he see's the writing on the wall that would be the Rams being in the same position in a year or so as the Saints are in right now being way over the cap and no where to run .

Edited by T master

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s probably a mix of all those things. He’s set up a great life for himself, and can always go back to coaching at some point, he could write his own ticket. 

I have to say, he would be really good on color commentary. 

Could he replace Romo? Collinsworth maybe?

I'd be good with either.

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

McVay angling at a shot at coaching Allen I see…

In about 2 more seasons this region is going to be screaming for offensive minded coach to bring it all home.

smart move coach.

Honestly - I wish we were led by an offensive minded HC. I like McDermott and what he's done during his time here. 

However, in my mind, if the Bills fail to get to the SB next year, I would make a change at HC. 

And I'd go offensive.

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Or he has mortgaged the team future cap money/ draft picks, and knows he has to let I all that talent go, and has no desire to walk that walk, the saints come to mind…,

yeah - only took 16 years of saying it for it to happen there 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He's full of it

I think it all depends on if they win. They've pushed in all their chips for this year - lean times are coming salary cap wise - so if he can do a John Madden then why not. I'm not so sure he'll find success in tv as he's lack the personality of the big guy.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Hardly relevant, 

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

Honestly - I wish we were led by an offensive minded HC. I like McDermott and what he's done during his time here. 

However, in my mind, if the Bills fail to get to the SB next year, I would make a change at HC. 

And I'd go offensive.

it is beyond a doubt the most fascinating aspect of what could come if the bills do not win the Super Bowl in the next two seasons.

Do they…

1.) Go the Pittsburgh Steelers route, they were winning under Cowher, but kept failing to win super bowl… and they stuck with him.

or

2.) Go to Tampa Bay Buccaneers route they were not reaching their ultimate goal with Tony Dungee and they brought in the assassin Jon Gruden to win the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

When McVay was winning in 2017 TSW was like.........."but he's mortgaged the Rams future"..........and here it is 2022 and he's in his second SB.

In reality with Woods due back they are probably still SB contenders next year even if they lose OBJ and Von Miller........which aren't givens.

With creative cap work they could probably extend their window a few more years before Stafford and Donald flame out.........especially in the suddenly vulnerable NFC.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

If the objective is to spend a lot more resort time with THAT woman..........understandable.

But own it........

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Either:

His ego has outgrown LA & only a national job, where everyone can marvel at his "genius" will do now.

Or 

He knows the house of cards in LA collapses after this & is getting out while the getting is good.

Or 

it’s a filler story without legs 

or 

it’s an in house power play for something 

or…

11 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

This would be the reason.

If he wins tomorrow, he can say...."Well Rams, I got you that Super Bowl championship you wanted. It's been great! See ya!"

And I’m sure the rams would say thanks, there’s teams every year with multiple first round picks and Never win a super. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, 97bills said:

And I’m sure the rams would say thanks, there’s teams every year with multiple first round picks and Never win a super. 

Oh yes, they'll be very grateful. Who doesn't love being a champion?

You're right about the multiple first round pick teams that win nothing.

Not coveting first round picks is a different mindset to have.

Bobby Beathard traded away first round picks all the time when he was with the Redskins, and they won championships.

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don't know how they do it with those hours. It sounds like a fascinating job, but even if I were good enough to do it, I wouldn't. I already spend too much time at work, and I spend less than they do.

My family's more important.

41 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Yeah, and there's teams that don't keep first rounders and also don't win a Super Bowl. Bobby Beathard in San Diego as just one example.

Not having first rounders makes it harder, especially in your future. But it doesn't make winning a Super Bowl impossible.

31/32 teams don't win, each year.

Thing to do isn't look at the losers. That doesn't tell you much because there are too many of them and they lose in so many different ways. Thing to do is look at the winners. Few SB winners have consistently traded away 1sts. There are a few. But generally you want to follow the way that has produced more SB winners. 

Having said that, at the end of a window it can occasionally make sense. And it can reasonably be argued that having Stafford at QB puts them at the end of a window.

4 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Either:

His ego has outgrown LA & only a national job, where everyone can marvel at his "genius" will do now.

Or 

He knows the house of cards in LA collapses after this & is getting out while the getting is good.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Or 

it’s a filler story without legs 

or 

it’s an in house power play for something 

or…

Or 

He wants to spend more time with his family.

or

At least he feels that way right now and is seriously considering it.

McVay will stick around. I understand wanting to spend time with family, but a lot of sacrifices are made when you get into coaching. I don’t think these guys are wired to give up coaching. They know what they’re getting into from the start. I’d say he’s either looking to escape a sinking ship or for a huge contract. 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Or 

He wants to spend more time with his family.

or

At least he feels that way right now and is seriously considering it.

This could true, the only reason I’m skeptical about the family thing is his timing. Super Bowl week is an interesting time to mention this. It made the headlines, which is perfect for contract negotiations. 

20 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I was not aware he had GM powers.

I am guessing his girl friend still has family in Ukraine and that may be weighing on his mind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.