Sean McVay considering stepping away from coaching?

YoloinOhio

Or he has mortgaged the team future cap money/ draft picks, and knows he has to let I all that talent go, and has no desire to walk that walk, the saints come to mind…,

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

If he wins tomorrow he could have a very lucrative career in NFL broadcasting without all the stress.

Very true.

And he could also be jumping off a sinking ship that has no draft capital or cap space, which could also be a strategic, smart career move.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Or he has mortgaged the team future cap money/ draft picks, and knows he has to let I all that talent go, and has no desire to walk that walk, the saints come to mind…,

This would be the reason.

If he wins tomorrow, he can say...."Well Rams, I got you that Super Bowl championship you wanted. It's been great! See ya!"

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

This would be the reason.

If he wins tomorrow, he can say...."Well Rams, I got you that Super Bowl championship you wanted. It's been great! See ya!"

It’s probably a mix of all those things. He’s set up a great life for himself, and can always go back to coaching at some point, he could write his own ticket. 

I have to say, he would be really good on color commentary. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hasn't there been rumblings that he was looking to leave the rams every off season the last 2 or 3 years? 

If I remember correctly its all connected to the complete lack of draft capital the rams have and him knowing that this current team isn't sustainable 

Feel like ive heard this story before 

Edited by Cheektowaga Chad
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly could be a very smart move financially. He will get a huge deal from one of the networks, do that for a couple of years, his name will keep coming up every year for job openings, until eventually he has his pick of whatever team he wants to coach and will get a huge deal for it. He will be sitting in a great position if he does step away

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Hasn't there been rumblings that he was looking to leave the rams every off season the last 2 or 3 years? 

If I remember correctly its all connected to the complete lack of draft capital the rams have and him knowing that this current team isn't sustainable 

Feel like ive heard this story before 

There was some chatter last year about MNF offering him some huge deal to leave coaching and join their booth. But I didn’t hear if it was real or if there was interest from his side. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s probably a mix of all those things. He’s set up a great life for himself, and can always go back to coaching at some point, he could write his own ticket. 

I have to say, he would be really good on color commentary. 

Definitely.

He has a face for television, and he can always go back to coaching when he feels ready for it. He could be this generations Dick Vermeil.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

There was an article a couple weeks back I read listing the top 50 potential free agents. (this was before Brady announced he was retired) The three teams with the most big name FA were the Rams, Chiefs, and Bucs.  Of the three, the only team that also is without most of it's upcoming draft picks is the Rams!  Not only did they give away draft picks to acquire their QB, but he doesn't have many years left either.

So agree the Rams are a team heading for a fall.  His record is 6 games better than McD, but he walked into a decent team where the Bills were a mess to start with.  Last three seasons McD's record has been better as is Andy Reid.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Honestly could be a very smart move financially. He will get a huge deal from one of the networks, do that for a couple of years, his name will keep coming up every year for job openings, until eventually he has his pick of whatever team he wants to coach and will get a huge deal for it. He will be sitting in a great position if he does step away

Yup. Gruden 2.0 without the Really bad stuff.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’d be surprised if he actually walked away. I can respect wanting to spend more time with your family but he doesn’t have a family yet. His wife isn’t even pregnant afaik? 

Maybe he wants to spend more time with her! I remember her from Hard Knocks and …

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Interesting....

One one hand, if he is guaranteed a job in broadcasting, he can enjoy a very low stress lifestyle compared to coaching in the NFL

On the other:  you have to have a major competitive fire burning to get to where he is now....that doesn't just vanish and he's very young in NFL HC terms.

LA, for some reason, is one coaching situation/fan base that I can see a champion HC walking away from and not going for the repeat.  There's just a "meh" to everything bout LA pro football.

33 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Right but he wins the Superbowl it will be a brilliant move

Certainly for him it will be a brilliant move…, 

12 minutes ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Interesting....

One one hand, if he is guaranteed a job in broadcasting, he can enjoy a very low stress lifestyle compared to coaching in the NFL

On the other:  you have to have a major competitive fire burning to get to where he is now....that doesn't just vanish and he's very young in NFL HC terms.

LA, for some reason, is one coaching situation/fan base that I can see a champion HC walking away from and not going for the repeat.  There's just a "meh" to everything bout LA pro football.

It’s the fan base. It’s transient and bandwagon. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s the fan base. It’s transient and bandwagon. 

I can't speak for bandwagon, but while I won't begrudge Matt Stafford success after spending the majority of his career in NFL purgatory, I'd hardly call myself a Rams fan.

• Haha (+1) 2

He is so young as a head coach 

and has already made 2 Super Bowls with 2 different quarterbacks.

But he’s got so much going for him regardless that should he walk away he’s golden.

Youth, Offensive Minded Coach (which the league is), up to date on current trends.

coach could take off nearly off a decade, come back, and only be Coach McDermotta age right now.

And I still consider Coach McDermott young enough!

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wasn't it Marv Levy who said "if you think about retiring next year, you already have, you just don't know it yet?" or something like that?

Not a Good Sign for the Lambies tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I totally get the whole love of the game thing.  

But I understand this too. He can make the same money to watch way less film and be home all the time.

Yeah, it's basically what I point out when folks suggest Romo as some flavor of coach.  He works most of the week from home, he works shorter hours than he did as a player and way shorter than he would as a coach, he is not under as much scrutiny for his every decision, and he's very well paid. 

What's Not To Like?

That said, if McVay does this I'll have to think that he's kind of pulling a Sean Payton - get the team into cap hell trying to fuel his success, then skeddadle

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wasn't it Marv Levy who said "if you think about retiring next year, you already have, you just don't know it yet?" or something like that?

Not a Good Sign for the Lambies tomorrow.

I think people might be blowing this out of proportions, this whole thing comes from him saying he doesn't think he'll coach into his 60s and that's like 24 years from now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

That was my first reaction.  He could take a few years off and maybe get his feet wet in broadcasting.  Then he can watch the new Rams coach struggle which only elevates his stock.  Then some desperate owner will give him the Jon Gruden treatment and he'll demand a massive contract.  Genius if he goes this route.   

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Very true.

And he could also be jumping off a sinking ship that has no draft capital or cap space, which could also be a strategic, smart career move.

He definitely knows tomorrow is everything.  This organization has pushed all their chips to the center of the table. They're kinda like the Lakers. Win now or you're screwed for the next several years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.