Article - Trade for Saquon in the offseason? Apparently Twitter thinks so 🤔

JerseyBills

"Twitter Speculates a Potential Saquon Barkley Trade to Bills | Heavy.com" https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-giants/saquon-barkley-trade-rumors-bills-twitter/amp/

I just stumbled across this article and they make a case for Barkley going to Buffalo.

What do you guys think? He's a super hard worker and is always working on his craft. 

I'm not sure if he lost a step or if teams just load the box against a Gmen team with no real passing game. 

He checks all the boxes McBeane look for in a player but the price would have to be fairly low imo for them to consider this trade because of the injuries.  Availability is still the most important trait of any player..

What you guys think? It's an interesting scenario 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 13

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I would for sure explore that. My only hesitancy is he’s prob close to being a FA right? Not sure I want to sink big bucks into that position. But we could see his impact here for a year and see what happens. 

They picked up his 5th year next year, then hits FA , so I'm sure we'd have to sign him for another 2-3 years or so 

9 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

They could have traded up to 2 and drafted him instead of trading up to 7 for J.A.....

How Gettlemen still had a job is beyond me. If I was the owner of the team, and that guy sticks at 2 to pick a running back, he’s fired. He could have got a kings ransom in that draft for 2nd overall. Instead he comes away with an of injured RB.

More on topic, I’d absolutely explore a deal for Barkley. But I wouldn’t give up much. A 4th or 5th sounds about right. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The best ability is availability. Barkley hasn’t been available much in the last few years. When healthy, like CMC, he can be a game changer, but both of them are just not durable. I wouldn’t trade anything for them, but if I had to consider it absolutely nothing higher than a 6th if we were desperate to kick the tires. I’d rather give a rookie a chance (even a lower drafted one) rather than an unfortunate known quantity.

Edited by KingBoots8

I am a fan of letting stupid teams draft RB's high and then stealing them for cheap...........like the Seahawks did with the Bills to get the young, healthy and cheap Marshawn Lynch.

But trading for and paying an injury ravaged Saquon Barkley a robust $7.2M next year isn't that.    

Only way you are getting that figure down if you trade for him is to extend his contract...........which would be batsh*t crazy at this point.

Not a fit until or if the Giants release him and he becomes a free agent..........where his market will be much more modest.

Gotta' do it more like Tampa did with Fournette..........they've paid Fournette $2.6M per over the two seasons he's been there.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

Pass. That dude is always injured. 

And it's a damn shame.  The talent is undeniable, but he, Cook and McCaffrey are always dinged up.  Comes with the territory of being a 3 down RB, I guess.

Barkley has had the worst luck of the 3 though.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

"Twitter Speculates a Potential Saquon Barkley Trade to Bills | Heavy.com" https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-giants/saquon-barkley-trade-rumors-bills-twitter/amp/

I just stumbled across this article and they make a case for Barkley going to Buffalo.

What do you guys think? He's a super hard worker and is always working on his craft. 

I'm not sure if he lost a step or if teams just load the box against a Gmen team with no real passing game. 

He checks all the boxes McBeane look for in a player but the price would have to be fairly low imo for them to consider this trade because of the injuries.  Availability is still the most important trait of any player..

we just got rid of one Barkley.     I dont see the bills paying for a rb

1 hour ago, KingBoots8 said:

The best ability is availability. Barkley hasn’t been available much in the last few years. When healthy, like CMC, he can be a game changer, but both of them are just not durable. I wouldn’t trade anything for them, but if I had to consider it absolutely nothing higher than a 6th if we were desperate to kick the tires. I’d rather give a rookie a chance (even a lower drafted one) rather than an unfortunate known quantity.

I will say this...you definitely need to consider injury history, and someone like Barkley qualifies as a guy to be concerned about.  But, that being said, does not always mean they will still have injury issues moving forward.  Great players like Stafford, Fred Taylor, Frank Gore were all one thought of as injury prone early in their careers.  But all of them went on to shake the injury bug at some point. 

In the end, its a violent game, sometimes you just get a few bad luck breaks, doesn't always mean you are prone to future injuries.  So I personally would not write off a guy like Barkley if there was a way to get him here for an affordable price.

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

the much bigger issue will be his contract status. Sending picks and giving a new deal is a lot for a guy with some question marks 

If you can get the guy for a 2nd or 3rd, than yes you take a shot.    He is 2x the back Motor is and can literally carry a team when healthy.     Given the guy's character he may take less long term to play with a perennial contender.  His cap number next year isnt outrageous, and with the cap skyrocketing in 2023 you may be able to sign him beyond that.  

All in on this one.

13 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

for a (late) 3rd. And have him as part of a committee. 12 carries a game, maybe he'll stay healthy. Not sure what his contract looks like though. 

His contract status has already been stated in this thread.  It's $7.2 guaranteed for 2022 since the Giants already picked up his 5th year option. So they are either renting him for 1 season at $7.2 million or have to extend him at big bucks not knowing if he'll ever regain his form or stay healthy.  The only way you take him is if the Giants extend him with a big bonus that they take the cap hit on if they trade him & it has to be a contract the Bills can get out of in 2023 with a minimal cap hit if they cut him.  

Very tough to justify trading for him.  Just draft a RB early & get him on a rookie contract rather than trading for Barkley.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Barkley was drafted by a crap team and is still a crap team…. Yes Barkley had a bad injury last year with his knee and a freak ankle twist this year….

All RBs get banged up. I’d take Barkley in a heart beat at the right price.

Thank you. Someone with sense here. 

If he's available at a decent price you take him and deal with the risks. Devin is a good backup RB. 

Generational RB talent that has had bad injury luck. You would never get him otherwise. Take the gamble at the right price. No brainer. He would take us from very good team to dynasty level. People want a Thurman? Here he is. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.