All-22 Grades for Bills/Patriots (The Athletic)

HappyDays

1. Dion Dawkins’ unexpected dominance

Watching the left tackle all game on film, he turned in a borderline perfect performance.

Despite the chaotic situation, when Dawkins stepped on the field, he was locked in. He never looked out of breath or took too many steps the wrong way. Much like the franchise quarterback he was protecting, Dawkins was dialed in all game.

He mirrored his opponents with relative ease while keeping his feet underneath him. The Bills routinely left Dawkins on an island to deal with a one-on-one block, and he never faltered. Especially with Allen taking more time on average to throw than in any other game this season, it only enhanced Dawkins’ role. As a run blocker, he squared up his shoulders and turned defenders how he pleased. Dawkins was in complete control, and the numbers back it up. He didn’t allow a single pressure in 36 pass-blocking snaps.

2. The Bills might be on to something with Ryan Bates

While it was only one start for Bates, and fans should temper expectations because of that, he played at a high level at left guard on Sunday.

Bates’ poise and understanding of what was happening around him is the first thing to note. He was a confident mover, often worked well with his teammates on combination blocks and did well in one-on-one opportunities.

Bates’ athleticism showed up on film as he’s a good lateral mover who can get to the spot and anchor against bigger opponents in front of him. Almost everything Bates showed on film looked promising if that can be his consistent playing level. That pressure against a stunt was the only one he permitted all game as he finished with an outstanding 2 percent pressure allowed rate.

3. Bills go away from blitz as Ed Oliver shines, DEs struggle

The Bills primarily returned to their usual defensive principles of using four pass rushers when the Patriots dropped back. The Bills used their standard four defensive linemen as their pass rush on 29 of their 37 opportunities. On two other plays, they still rushed only four but dropped a defensive lineman into coverage and replaced him with a linebacker or safety.

That put a lot of emphasis on the front four to put some heat on the quarterback, and three-technique defensive tackle Ed Oliver was excellent all game. He worked through one-on-one matchups, double teams and worked well on stunts. He was easily the Bills’ best pass-rushing defensive lineman and forced through for three individual pressures while helping to set up teammates Efe Obada and Harrison Phillips. Oliver also was a stout run defender and overcame his size disadvantage against two blockers to hold his ground, redirect the runner and keep his teammates clean from blocks on the second level. All in all, Oliver had a quietly fabulous performance.

However, outside of Jerry Hughes, the defensive ends struggled to make an impact as pass rushers. Hughes had a pair of pressures and was a solid run defender, but that’s mostly where the positivity ended on the edge. Mario Addison was a better run defender than pass rusher. Greg Rousseau batted a pass down early and then had a pressure when the game was over on the final drive and was a nonfactor in between. And Boogie Basham didn’t force a single pressure, as the Patriots’ offensive line easily won at the point of attack on those reps.

4. The Patriots picked on Dane Jackson during TD drive

The Bills trusted their secondary to force Jones and the Patriots into bad decisions on offense, and for the most part, it worked. Free safety Micah Hyde was a monster all game and one of the team’s top performers even aside from his two interceptions. However, when Jones and the Patriots had their most prolific passing drive, they found some success targeting Dane Jackson on back-to-back plays.

Although Jackson has been solid as a replacement for Tre’Davious White, there have been some red flags. There are signs that he could give up a big play with every game on film.

5. Siran Neal played his role excellently

The Bills set out to change their fortunes against the heavy formations that gave them so many problems in the first matchup with the Patriots. They concocted a personnel grouping of their own for every time the Patriots went with a formation that included a sixth offensive lineman, fullback and tight end. One of the Bills’ big answers was to replace the 5-foot-11, 180-pound Jackson with the 6-foot, 205-pound Siran Neal at cornerback.

The Bills used Neal exclusively on the strong side of the Patriots’ formation to give them more strength and better tackling against more size. The strategy worked brilliantly. Neal was outstanding with the way he knifed through blocks, or at the very least, held his ground to force running back Damien Harris into his teammates. There was even one running play to the opposite side of Neal, and he sprinted through traffic to help make the tackle. He wound up with only 13 snaps, but he was a plus performer throughout his time on the field and was a big reason the Bills held up against that formation.

Top 5 grades:

1) Allen (A)

2) Dawkins (A)

3) Phillips (A-)

4) Hyde (A-)

5) Oliver (A-)

Bottom 5 grades (worst to 5th worst)

1) Basham (C)

2) Rousseau (C+)

3) Butler (C+)

4) Jackson (C+)

5) Kumerow (B-)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

not surprised to see the rookies struggle they have hit the rookie wall....  Hopefully they can come out of it and provide something in the playoffs.  Bates motel earned another shot at guard to see if it was a one time thing or if he is that much better than mongo. 

Great insight and what they wrote is confirmed by the eye test.

Yes Kemerow really blew his opportunity and he isnt getting and younger.  The Rousseau grade is not a shock but a disappointment, maybe he is in a rookie tired phase.  Butler no shock,  Was hoping to see how Effee Obada scored.

To date the departure of Tre White hasn't cost us a game, dont think we can be as lucky going forward in the playoffs if the weather is nice. 

12 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Great insight and what they wrote is confirmed by the eye test.

Yes Kemerow really blew his opportunity and he isnt getting and younger.  The Rousseau grade is not a shock but a disappointment, maybe he is in a rookie tired phase.  Butler no shock,  Was hoping to see how Effee Obada scored.

To date the departure of Tre White hasn't cost us a game, dont think we can be as lucky going forward in the playoffs if the weather is nice. 

I'd put Sanders in the bottom 5 just for dropping the TD. Was it this game he ran into Knox and wiped both players out ?

Pretty bad game from Kumerow as well 

20 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'd put Sanders in the bottom 5 just for dropping the TD. Was it this game he ran into Knox and wiped both players out ?

Pretty bad game from Kumerow as well 

TBF Knox was held up on that play and it wasn't called.  It could have disrupted the timing of the routes.

32 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Not sure how McKenzie isn't top 5

He was the 6th rated player with an A-. Joe said in the comments that he penalized him for his 1 drop. Him being out of the top 5 is less about his own play and more about how well the other players played. 

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

Tough to ask a rookie to be an all around great DE.  He is already the best edge defender vs the run on the roster.  Vs the modern batch of Qbs give me Rouseaus rushing style vs Hughes.  Hughes gets more pressure but also gives the them an easy escape lane.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Great stuff. I thought Dawkins was solid during the game but I really didn't pick up that he had that great a game. Hopefully he can finish strong, we need it. 

Rousseau has for the most part been a non-factor for a long time now. Unfortunately many predicted that's what he would be at this level. 

I remember another first round DE struggling during his rookie season, think his number was 78. If I remember correctly he improved.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, chris heff said:

I remember another first round DE struggling during his rookie season, think his number was 78. If I remember correctly he improved.

In 78's case he was overweight and out of shape as a rookie. 

Rousseau is not even 22 years old, and has limited game experience.  He is a prototypical height, weight and speed for an edge rusher, [Davenport is also 6-6 265 and runs a 4.6] but perhaps 78 might be able to coach him up a bit, perhaps with a hometown discount.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am a little surprised at the idea of Dane Jackson struggling against the pats. Giving up a few catches in zone coverage doesn’t seem like “struggling”— but I can’t read this and really haven’t gone back and watched the game again. 

It is on Thursday on NFLN.

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am a little surprised at the idea of Dane Jackson struggling against the pats. Giving up a few catches in zone coverage doesn’t seem like “struggling”— but I can’t read this and really haven’t gone back and watched the game again. 

He gets turned around on quick cuts and double moves more than you'd like.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

GamePass has stopped providing All-22 replays again, at least on my account.  Anyone else paying for GamePass and not getting the All-22 ?   Seems to come and go.  Frustrating.

Yeah, not getting it for the NE game either. I'm able to get it for previous games. I really hate the change in formatting of game pass. It used to be so much more user friendly and seemed to work so much better. I constantly have problems with it. 

19 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

A weekly plea to subscribe to Athletic. Reasonably priced for a plethora of good content. Especially if you follow sports other than the Bills. Don’t let this and other sources die. 

Yeh, I signed up before the season just to have access to Joe B's comments.  I enjoy the other coverage when I have time to look at it.  the A is looking for a partner though, its tough out there to keep such an endeavor going.

On 12/29/2021 at 3:33 PM, Scott7975 said:

Is it just coincidence that Dawkins had his best game this season when the Bills got good left guard play?  I think not.

Do you think that's because he's getting help from the LG or because he no longer has to give help to the LG?

On 12/29/2021 at 4:21 PM, ProcessTruster said:

GamePass has stopped providing All-22 replays again, at least on my account.  Anyone else paying for GamePass and not getting the All-22 ?   Seems to come and go.  Frustrating.

Same here.... Why is never explained.

Dane Jackson gave up two big plays on one of the second half TD drives. One was a 15 yard out, the second a big yardage crossing pattern. Otherwise he’s hanging in giving us decent play. Levi’s continues solid play.. would have had huge int up 20-7 that might have put game away early. S Neal solid in run situations. If we hold teams to 21 points we win in playoffs. 

On 12/29/2021 at 8:44 PM, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I was curious if Bill still provides insight into the upcoming week. It’s a good watch going back to just before our game. He is so much better listening too when it comes to diving into the game as opposed to his post game press conferences lol 

Surprised this post didn't get more love. It's a lot like a Cover-1 breakdown, except they don't cheat.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/29/2021 at 2:33 PM, Scott7975 said:

Is it just coincidence that Dawkins had his best game this season when the Bills got good left guard play?  I think not.

Not a coincidence, but Dawkins seemed much more determined than in other games. He was fired up and throwing his body around. He needs to keep thay kind of play up.

• Like (+1) 1

Nice to read about the adjustment the Bills made with Siran Neal.  If Bates turns into an answer at G then the Bills have a great deal more freedom come draft time.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:16 PM, JaCrispy said:

None of our 3 DE picks, the last few years, are producing...should we be concerned?

Yes, but Rousseau was a bit of a project pick so he may need another year. Epinensa, like Cody Ford, is looking like a disappointment. He may become a rotational line player and stick to the roster but he is not playing at a special level.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.