Bills SB closed?

Utah John

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/andersen-the-bills-super-bowl-window-is-closed/ar-AAS606h?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

He argues that this year is THE year, because starting next year the Bills won't be able to afford to keep all the good players, let alone replace the problems on the O line.  This is largely due to Josh Allen's big contract starting to take big bites out of the salary cap.  And since the Bills aren't playing as well as they did last year, it's curtains for us.  Reading into what he wrote, if he's right about this, it's back to mediocrity, and quite possibly this year could be the start of a new drought if we can't beat NE on Sunday.  Or we can make the playoffs and beat anyone.  Who knows.  

One statement that caught my eye is that the Bills have drafted well.  "Although the Bills have consistently drafted well the past few years, it’s fair to say some regression may be on the way, as is usually the case with teams that string together a few good drafts."  We look at how other teams have filled holes like ours -- KC has two rookies starting on their O line, and playing great, while we have Rousseau and Basham getting pushed around, and Epenesa hardly playing.  Zach Moss and Cody Ford look like busts.  McBeane seem unable to evaluate talent on either line.  

Most of all, the fire has gone out.  Last year for a couple of months the Bills played like they simply couldn't lose, no matter who they played.  This year they consistently lose the close games and beat up on the weak sisters.  This is not how a proud, championship team behaves.  The Bills peaked with the KC win -- their best game of the year, by far -- but the Tennessee loss changed them.  They haven't had the same spirit ever since.  

The Bills seem to have good leadership among the players, but no one is actually getting his teammates to buckle down.  We're still getting stupid penalties, dropped coverages on D, careless turnovers on offense, and long stretches where the offense can't complete a simple swing pass. The focus and concentration are not there anymore.  

I hope Andersen is wrong, but if he's right the Bills have no one to blame but themselves.  

• Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 11
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/andersen-the-bills-super-bowl-window-is-closed/ar-AAS606h?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

He argues that this year is THE year, because starting next year the Bills won't be able to afford to keep all the good players, let alone replace the problems on the O line.  This is largely due to Josh Allen's big contract starting to take big bites out of the salary cap.  And since the Bills aren't playing as well as they did last year, it's curtains for us.  Reading into what he wrote, if he's right about this, it's back to mediocrity, and quite possibly this year could be the start of a new drought if we can't beat NE on Sunday.  Or we can make the playoffs and beat anyone.  Who knows.  

One statement that caught my eye is that the Bills have drafted well.  "Although the Bills have consistently drafted well the past few years, it’s fair to say some regression may be on the way, as is usually the case with teams that string together a few good drafts."  We look at how other teams have filled holes like ours -- KC has two rookies starting on their O line, and playing great, while we have Rousseau and Basham getting pushed around, and Epenesa hardly playing.  Zach Moss and Cody Ford look like busts.  McBeane seem unable to evaluate talent on either line.  

Most of all, the fire has gone out.  Last year for a couple of months the Bills played like they simply couldn't lose, no matter who they played.  This year they consistently lose the close games and beat up on the weak sisters.  This is not how a proud, championship team behaves.  The Bills peaked with the KC win -- their best game of the year, by far -- but the Tennessee loss changed them.  They haven't had the same spirit ever since.  

The Bills seem to have good leadership among the players, but no one is actually getting his teammates to buckle down.  We're still getting stupid penalties, dropped coverages on D, careless turnovers on offense, and long stretches where the offense can't complete a simple swing pass. The focus and concentration are not there anymore.  

I hope Andersen is wrong, but if he's right the Bills have no one to blame but themselves.  

We have a lot of expendable assets on the defensive line and I’m sure josh would restructure at different times to win…as long as josh is here we have a chance to win imo.  Our offensive line is playing like a bunch of guys making league minimum and he has still been successful.  He also seems like he gets the best out of every receiver that joins the team which is something you want your max contract type guy to do.  I don’t give sports writers any credit for comments like this…it’s not exactly a bold statement to say a team isn’t gonna win a Super Bowl over a short term period of time 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I guess it's curtains for Mahomes to.

Soon Herbert, Murray - and Dak already screwed up Dallas.  Look how bad the Cowboys are.  And the 49ers with Jimmy Gs contract.  The Saints last year had a chance and I think their cap somehow was negative 50 million.  The Rams seem to be able to afford people.  

I no longer put any stock into these rookie QB windows.  None.  

Personally, I thought we might need 1 more year.  I didn't think we were good enough in the trenches - I was hopeful sure.  And yes this team could still win it all, but it will be better next year.  

1.  No doubt improving the oline - our anchor was in the hospital losing 20 lbs in August.  

2. No doubt upgrading RB

3. No doubt bringing in more CBS - we'll get White mid season. 

4. No doubt going to improve the Dline the kids are still developing and we'll be in the market for any Aikeem Hicks or Chandler Jones difference makers.  Oh Hicks is available btw.   

5. Josh continues to develop 

6. Covid goes and f itself 

This roster will be better next season.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 3

The Bills have good leadership and a franchise QB. The window will not be closed as long as they have that. 

Maybe Allen is the next Dan Marino or Philip Rivers and never gets it done. That would be unfortunate, but I'm gonna have tons of fun watching Bills football with him at the wheel.

• Like (+1) 9

These type of articles are kinda past their time now. The wisdom is known if your gonna pay a QB he better be able to cover your teams flaws and Josh has shown that again this year. The flipside is if you look at the big QB's paid over the last decade all of them made SBs or been on the doorstep a bunch : Manning, Brady, Big Ben, Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes. With Brees and Rodgers they both have lost NFC title games as not fault of their own due to refs or insanely dumb plays (Brandon Bostick). If you said before the decade that your team had them and were going to pay them big time I think you'd be ok with the result QB wise as a SB title and being close other times isn't bad compared to hitting reset.

The QB's that failed once they got contracts this last decade it makes sense with:

Goff- Roster and McVay covered him big time and the holes became quite evident once he left. Matt Stafford is literally proving that a better QB can make the team better despite some flaws roster wise

Cam- Actually did fine after until injury and never was the same player. Sucks he was really entertaining, but once injury hit and his play went down his salary limited any ability to help.

Garrapollo- wasn't bad but not worth the money and the defense had a close to historically good D

Flacco- Greatest one hit wonder ever in terms of success. The rosters performance after showed how money takes away talent when the QB can't make the difference. I do wonder if BAL makes the playoffs in 17' if he still would've lasted longer

Ryan- He can thank his coach for blowing that team to pieces and not running the ball. Probably deserved a better fate and may not even belong on this piece of the list.

In general if you are paying a QB top money the expectation should be he can elevate the roster. From there its on the GM to draft well and add the proper free agents mixed with a little luck. Truthfully I hate this concept that once a QB is paid that is it. In general in a decade there are 10 titles total that can be won and 20 chances total for the top QBs across the league to get in. In Matt Ryan's case for example they made an NFC title and a SB. He took 5% of available spots for a SB and 10% conference wise. With how many good QB's there are there isn't space for a boat load of chances unless your Brady apparently who also took some away. The history of football is littered with QB greats who had their shot and that was it. Marino went year 2 and never again, conversely Elway went 5 times and it took the 4th appearance to win. There is not a team out there who would not pay a QB if they knew they were going to be one of the top guys in the NFL for the next decade and he could carry them regularly. The AFC is loaded with young QB talent right now Allen, Mahomes, Lamar, Herbert, & Burrow and if in 2031 you said each of them only made 1-2 SB's top I would say that sounds about right given the opportunities, luck, and the sport itself. Still you'd rather have one of those 5 guys and role the dice them be the Jets or Texans who have no idea what their future is the next decade.

• Like (+1) 2

I think our window would be much more shut without Allen.  Buffalo needs to build through the draft.  Get the occasional free agent, likely on their 3rd+ contract that might be on the back 9 of their careers…vets that “just want to win” and castaways looking for a new start.

spending 16 million a year for a guard doesn’t win many games anyway.

55 minutes ago, Utah John said:

He argues that this year is THE year, because starting next year the Bills won't be able to afford to keep all the good players, let alone replace the problems on the O line. 

If you knew anything about the Bills you'd know that all the good players we have are already locked up... try not to get your analysis from a Boston sports radio station lol

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Utah John said:

This is also a short-sighted statement. 

They've been one of THE BEST drafting teams since McBeane arrived as compared to their peers. KC has been pretty pedestrian when it comes to drafting and finally had a good one... look at the whole set of facts and don't cherry pick.

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

It should be noted this article was was written by a Boston radio DJ in an attempt to boost engagement/interest during Bills-Patriots week.

Its a weak attempt to get attention and many of the people here, including the OP, fell for it.  

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Consider the timing and source

Never crossed the OP’s mind.  It was “fair and balanced” in his opinion 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This only started coming up fairly recently in NFL history, and basically took off once Mahomes signed his contract:  you have to win when your QB is on his rookie deal, or it's OVER.

I can only smile. It's such a poor, lazy & meaningless hot take.

We'll be in contention as long as Josh Allen is behind center.

3 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

Josh contract will look friendlier each year+. I just can’t imagine how good he would be with viable play action. I don’t really buy the “window closes”. BB-Evil-Empire window closed for was about how long? A week (season)?!

It’s more about coaching/player development than anything.  The good staffs are consistently signing average players for cheap and getting a lot out of them.  The pats talk is kind of nonsense…they were a qb away last year it wasn’t even close to a rebuild situation but the national media is trying to sell it as belichick turned the whole roster over in one offseason lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

We have a YOUNG franchise QB in his prime......the window is just starting

This. The window is open as long as Allen is here.

Do you know how many teams would love to have the problem of paying a top QB?

Clickbait.

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

So, for the rest of Josh's career they won't have a shot...people get paid to write this bull####?  That guy can suck my nuts.

Edited by CoudyBills

8 minutes ago, Governor said:

He’s mostly right. Line is a mess. Need a Beas replacement. Need a RB. Need safeties. 

We can’t fix that in 1 draft so this is really it…..

Every team is experiencing  that at some degree. You just need to draft well. You hit on a couple picks and you are right back at the top.

Edited by TBBills

30 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Every team is experiencing  that at some degree. You just need to draft well. You hit on a couple picks and you are right back at the top.

I think another shot would be possible 3 years from now with some luck. A total rebuild would be required and we’d likely have a new coaching staff and GM by then. That’s assuming we don’t win this year or next.

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It’s more about coaching/player development than anything.  The good staffs are consistently signing average players for cheap and getting a lot out of them.  The pats talk is kind of nonsense…they were a qb away last year it wasn’t even close to a rebuild situation but the national media is trying to sell it as belichick turned the whole roster over in one offseason lol

He was already turning the roster over during Brady’s last 2 seasons there.

2 hours ago, frogger said:

I think our window would be much more shut without Allen.  Buffalo needs to build through the draft.  Get the occasional free agent, likely on their 3rd+ contract that might be on the back 9 of their careers…vets that “just want to win” and castaways looking for a new start.

spending 16 million a year for a guard doesn’t win many games anyway.

Buffalo did not have a window before Allen.  It was a locked door and 4 brick walls.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.