Bills SB closed?

Utah John

25 minutes ago, Governor said:

I think another shot would be possible 3 years from now with some luck. A total rebuild would be required and we’d likely have a new coaching staff and GM by then. That’s assuming we don’t win this year or next.

He was already turning the roster over during Brady’s last 2 seasons there.

WTF a total rebuild? The Bills could be division leaders after this weekend.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, TBBills said:

WTF a total rebuild? The Bills could be division leaders after this weekend.

We aren’t talking about this weekend. We’re talking about the next few years and looking at the aging players that will need to be replaced, the OL that needs to be completely overhauled, at least 1 LB, CB, and 2 safeties, pass rusher, RB, DT. 

Feels like the window is about to close to me.

Edited by Governor

17 minutes ago, Governor said:

We aren’t talking about this weekend. We’re talking about the next few years and looking at the aging players that will need to be replaced, the OL that needs to be completely overhauled, at least 1 LB, CB, and 2 safeties, pass rusher, RB, DT. 

Feels like the window is about to close to me.

Lol that is just crazy.

Windows only close when you lose your franchise QB.

Edited by TBBills

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Here's a hot take:

Bills are playing like the regular season is preseason, something to survive before the real games start.

This team will be deadly in January and hopefully February.

I usually have disdain for hot takes. But this one is really cool.

• Agree 1

Last year and this year I liked the Bills' chances at winning a Super Bowl more than I do next year.  I've been thinking for two years that 2022 is likely a year where the Bills will regress some.  But not because of Allen's contract.. because I think Beane went a little too spend happy (especially last year) and wasted a lot of money on players like Jefferson, Butler, Norman, Kroft, etc.  

As it stands, the Bills only have $9mil in cap space and need to pay for their 2022 draft picks, are 12 players short to get to 53 on the roster, and have FAs Hughes, Wallace, McKenzie, Trubisky, Boettger, Jones, Phillips, Zimmer, Neal, Bates to sign.  That's not enough to even re-sign who we have, let alone go out and have some big flashy FA signings.. unless they kick the salary cap can down the road which I really hope they don't do.   This is why I'd try to trade Edmunds.. not because he isn't good.. but because he's not a game changer.. and I'd rather have the $15mil in cap space and a high draft pick to draft his replacement.

But two things can be true at once, and even if the Bills do regress a little next year, their Super Bowl window is open as long as Allen is our QB.  We should have Allen, Diggs, Davis, Milano, White, Hyde, Poyer, Taron, Knox on this team for the foreseeable future.   Not a bad group to build around.

All I want to see the front office do next year is fix the O-line.  Protect our franchise QB so he's not taking the kind of hits he took this year.  If they can do that, I don't really care if next year is a 9-7 type year.  Fix the O-line and that'll open our next Super Bowl window from 2023-2030+..  

6 hours ago, Utah John said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/andersen-the-bills-super-bowl-window-is-closed/ar-AAS606h?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

He argues that this year is THE year, because starting next year the Bills won't be able to afford to keep all the good players, let alone replace the problems on the O line.  This is largely due to Josh Allen's big contract starting to take big bites out of the salary cap.  And since the Bills aren't playing as well as they did last year, it's curtains for us.  Reading into what he wrote, if he's right about this, it's back to mediocrity, and quite possibly this year could be the start of a new drought if we can't beat NE on Sunday.  Or we can make the playoffs and beat anyone.  Who knows.  

One statement that caught my eye is that the Bills have drafted well.  "Although the Bills have consistently drafted well the past few years, it’s fair to say some regression may be on the way, as is usually the case with teams that string together a few good drafts."  We look at how other teams have filled holes like ours -- KC has two rookies starting on their O line, and playing great, while we have Rousseau and Basham getting pushed around, and Epenesa hardly playing.  Zach Moss and Cody Ford look like busts.  McBeane seem unable to evaluate talent on either line.  

Most of all, the fire has gone out.  Last year for a couple of months the Bills played like they simply couldn't lose, no matter who they played.  This year they consistently lose the close games and beat up on the weak sisters.  This is not how a proud, championship team behaves.  The Bills peaked with the KC win -- their best game of the year, by far -- but the Tennessee loss changed them.  They haven't had the same spirit ever since.  

The Bills seem to have good leadership among the players, but no one is actually getting his teammates to buckle down.  We're still getting stupid penalties, dropped coverages on D, careless turnovers on offense, and long stretches where the offense can't complete a simple swing pass. The focus and concentration are not there anymore.  

I hope Andersen is wrong, but if he's right the Bills have no one to blame but themselves.  

there are two windows- 

way overstocked talent around a good rookie qb

franchise qb and you hit a good draft class or two around him.

we are about to exit the first and have a couple decades of trying to hit on the second as a perennial contender looking to get over the hump 

• Like (+1) 1

After you spend money on QB you NEED to hot on draft picks.  Can't afford misses in early rounds or yes the window closes quick. 

Just now, Hebert19 said:

After you spend money on QB you NEED to hot on draft picks.  Can't afford misses in early rounds or yes the window closes quick. 

But I'd rather have a josh and no cap room than no QB and cap room. 

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

They can still get good players. They probably will need to revamp their OL, which the Chiefs were able to do this season after 2 SB appearances . 

KC picked Creed Humphrey in the 2nd round right after the Bills didn't and picked Basham instead. Humphrey is the top rated interior lineman in the NFL by a long shot in his rookie season, quite possibly a generational talent.

The Bills decided to spend their 1st and 2nd rnd picks on DEs because you can take 2 in a row when you have no holes or weaknesses on your roster. 

Unfortunately the Bills did have holes and weaknesses.

29 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

KC picked Creed Humphrey in the 2nd round right after the Bills didn't and picked Basham instead. Humphrey is the top rated interior lineman in the NFL by a long shot in his rookie season, quite possibly a generational talent.

The Bills decided to spend their 1st and 2nd rnd picks on DEs because you can take 2 in a row when you have no holes or weaknesses on your roster. 

Unfortunately the Bills did have holes and weaknesses.

We know what happened in this draft. The point is that they can get good players even with a top QB on the payroll. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Success said:

This only started coming up fairly recently in NFL history, and basically took off once Mahomes signed his contract:  you have to win when your QB is on his rookie deal, or it's OVER.

I can only smile. It's such a poor, lazy & meaningless hot take.

We'll be in contention as long as Josh Allen is behind center.

Sports journalism went way down when hot takes became popular.   Did this all start with Jim Rome?  It seemed he started it with fan takes.  Then ESPN created all those shows with nothing but quick takes.  Now that seems to be about all there is.  

Hard to find much good in depth analysis.  I like GMF but even half of that is based on takes as they go around the table with quick answers to the same question or topic.

• Like (+1) 1

As is the modern day NFL personal player greed to get as much money as possible in a contract makes it so hard to keep a good team together but it has been proven that it can be done given good drafting & good decisions in FA & when to let a veteran player go that could be coming up on a down side to their career .

I think Beane given what he has done in the draft & the responsible way he goes about handling the cap that he will do okay going forward and keep the Bills window open longer than some think but he can't take for ever that's for sure .

Other teams have done it Green Bay , New England, Pittsburgh & the Broncos in some ways seem to always be right there and i think we will see that from the Bills for a while to come i just hope they can get a Lombardi before that time runs out !! 

20 hours ago, Utah John said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/andersen-the-bills-super-bowl-window-is-closed/ar-AAS606h?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

He argues that this year is THE year, because starting next year the Bills won't be able to afford to keep all the good players, let alone replace the problems on the O line.  This is largely due to Josh Allen's big contract starting to take big bites out of the salary cap.  And since the Bills aren't playing as well as they did last year, it's curtains for us.  Reading into what he wrote, if he's right about this, it's back to mediocrity, and quite possibly this year could be the start of a new drought if we can't beat NE on Sunday.  Or we can make the playoffs and beat anyone.  Who knows.  

One statement that caught my eye is that the Bills have drafted well.  "Although the Bills have consistently drafted well the past few years, it’s fair to say some regression may be on the way, as is usually the case with teams that string together a few good drafts."  We look at how other teams have filled holes like ours -- KC has two rookies starting on their O line, and playing great, while we have Rousseau and Basham getting pushed around, and Epenesa hardly playing.  Zach Moss and Cody Ford look like busts.  McBeane seem unable to evaluate talent on either line.  

Most of all, the fire has gone out.  Last year for a couple of months the Bills played like they simply couldn't lose, no matter who they played.  This year they consistently lose the close games and beat up on the weak sisters.  This is not how a proud, championship team behaves.  The Bills peaked with the KC win -- their best game of the year, by far -- but the Tennessee loss changed them.  They haven't had the same spirit ever since.  

The Bills seem to have good leadership among the players, but no one is actually getting his teammates to buckle down.  We're still getting stupid penalties, dropped coverages on D, careless turnovers on offense, and long stretches where the offense can't complete a simple swing pass. The focus and concentration are not there anymore.  

I hope Andersen is wrong, but if he's right the Bills have no one to blame but themselves.  

Obviously there are ways to navigate the salary cap but it's not unrealistic to assume the current Bills/regime has peaked and now heading into murky waters.

Especially when you factor in the ill advised 'run it back' decision by Beane in the offseason when much better options could have been available in both the draft and FA if he would have dumped Addison/Butler and not resigned Feliciano/Williams/etc.

This is why I think behind closed doors in the offseason the Pegula's will flat out tells this regime they have to produce big time in 2022 our it may very well be their last season here. Especially given the Allen contract and Beane himself making a point to talk about the salary cap mess the previous regime created. He's now essentially done that himself here so can't point the finger elsewhere anymore.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Obviously there are ways to navigate the salary cap but it's not unrealistic to assume the current Bills/regime has peaked and now heading into murky waters.

Especially when you factor in the ill advised 'run it back' decision by Beane in the offseason when much better options could have been available in both the draft and FA if he would have dumped Addison/Butler and not resigned Feliciano/Williams/etc.

This is why I think behind closed doors in the offseason the Pegula's will flat out tells this regime they have to produce big time in 2022 our it may very well be their last season here. Especially given the Allen contract and Beane himself making a point to talk about the salary cap mess the previous regime created. He's now essentially done that himself here so can't point the finger elsewhere anymore.

Trying too hard dude

O-5 in one score games. 0-3 in games where the Bills had the ball goal to go to win it in the final minute.

That folks, is the definition of an anomaly. Unfortunately it may mean this years team does in fact miss the playoffs. But it absolutely does not mean the same 0-5 results should be expected next year. 

1-4 and Bills make the playoffs guaranteed. 2-3 and they are LEADING the entire AFC conference. This isn't asking the world of a team to simply go 1-4 or 2-3 in one score games. As i keep saying, hammer the over on the Bills win total for next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Honestly what are you smoking? There is zero chance the Pegula's give Bean or McD an 'ultimatum' after this season. Zero point zero chance. It's December 24th and the bills are in contention for the Division if we win on Sunday it'll be looking like the haters are gonna be eating some McBean crow. Could go either way, but hey -- that's why they play the games.

Edited by BillsFan692

22 hours ago, Utah John said:

Conventional wisdom agrees with him. Somebody has to smash conventional wisdom in the teeth. Why not Josh?

• Like (+1) 1

Looking at the Bills cap situation for 2022 I think they should be able to keep up a highly competitive team again. The Bills don't have many key free agents (Levi and Harrison Phillips being the only ones of true consequence) and while the cap space might not be that much but there is certainly fat on the roster they can cut to make room to get some space. The Bills should be able to do some modest cuts and restructurings to save 20-40 million which should give the team enough space to resign Levi and possibly Harrison Phillips while adding a mid-level free agent or two and then via the draft the team can address larger needs. 

I don't think our window was ever fully open, but I also don't think it's now closed.

The trick is to fill in all the gaps with replacement level players who work on the cheap, but are actually better than the other replacement players around them.  That takes skill.

I'm not sure Beane has it in him, but we are going to find out! 

On 12/23/2021 at 2:33 PM, Utah John said:

Not really...cap is going up tremendously in the coming years, Allen's contract will not be an issue and will be less of one each passing year

Opinion article.  The cap goes up next off season.  Bills will let go some vets too.  It will balance out.  They are young and talented at skilled positions.  Need to upgrade through the draft.   Saying Beane can not evaluate linemen is an interesting take.  We shall see. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.