Donald Parham Injury from TNF--One of Worst I've Seen

Nextmanup

This was one of the ugliest and scariest incidents I've ever seen in a game.

Parham pretty obviously never regained consciousness, even as they were wheeling him off the field after a sustained delay...with his hands convulsing nervously.

IMO, Buck and Aikman deliberately refrained from saying ANYTHING as the scene was already more than gruesome enough.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Joe Buck is a complete jackass. He said maybe his hands were shaking because it was cold out for LA. They're in a stadium that is covered with open areas, but come on, how cold could it be in LA? And Parham was obviously still unconscious at the time. 

I'm just glad to hear he is stable. Being he was in that fencing posture after he hit his head is not a good sign. Hope like hell he makes a full recovery. Def some scary *****

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

He said maybe his hands were shaking because it was cold out for LA. They're in a stadium that is covered with open areas, but come on, how cold could it be in LA?

I watched the game and I didn't hear this. What exactly did you hear?

3 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Joe Buck is a complete jackass. He said maybe his hands were shaking because it was cold out for LA. They're in a stadium that is covered with open areas, but come on, how cold could it be in LA? And Parham was obviously still unconscious at the time. 

I'm just glad to hear he is stable. Being he was in that fencing posture after he hit his head is not a good sign. Hope like hell he makes a full recovery. Def some scary *****

Yeah, I don’t know who’s a bigger tool, Joe Buck or Chris Collinsworth…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

awful.

anyone who's ever boxed (or kick boxed or some such) should know how dangerous a punch to the back of the head is.  There was a bout not too long a go where a young prospect took a lot of rabbit punches to the back of the head, he made it through the fight, but became quite disabled after the fight.  this boxer seems to have made some progress, but i doubt he will be symptom free at any point.

hope this guy gets better (evidently, there is a better chance to recover from one big hit than from many many accumulated hits).  and i know it was likely a fluke, but make sure your kids learn to tuck their heads when they go down, no matter what sport or activity the partake in.  

Terrifying to see "the fencing response." From Wiki: 

In simpler terms, the shock of the trauma manually activates the nerves that control the muscle groups responsible for raising the arm. This is similar to the reflexive extension of the arm when falling down (“breaking a fall”).

Praying for the best here. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

awful.

anyone who's ever boxed (or kick boxed or some such) should know how dangerous a punch to the back of the head is.  There was a bout not too long a go where a young prospect took a lot of rabbit punches to the back of the head, he made it through the fight, but became quite disabled after the fight.  this boxer seems to have made some progress, but i doubt he will be symptom free at any point.

hope this guy gets better (evidently, there is a better chance to recover from one big hit than from many many accumulated hits).  and i know it was likely a fluke, but make sure your kids learn to tuck their heads when they go down, no matter what sport or activity the partake in.  

A long time ago I fought full contact TKD.  Headgear was required, but at Nationals I saw a few fighters with just a pad that covered the backs of their heads, not the usual full head, open-faced ones like everyone else wore.  It was explained to me that when people got knocked down or fell backwards they’d sometimes hit the backs of their heads - at times even falling outside the mat area (which wasn’t very thick anyway) onto the concrete floor.  That was the worst concussion issue in a sport where kicking people in the head was the main goal.  That’s how dangerous hitting the back of your head is. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

You never saw the Kevin Everett injury in 2007?

or the Napolean McCallum?  Daryl Stingley? 

Ive seen probably 100 worse injuries watching football.

That looked benign.  But like its been stated, a hit to back of head is dangerous.  And that was scary.  Prayers for Parham

• Agree 2

I was watching the game and saw that play but for the life of me i couldn't figure out what he did i thought at first he had hurt his elbow the way he landed and even during the replay it didn't look bad at all i have seen a lot worse landings than that watching the NFL .

I hope he is alright first and foremost i just wonder if something may have happened earlier on a hit or fall that could have started the injury but then that fall just finished it because as i said it didn't look as if it was that bad of a fall matter of fact it looked like he landed on his shoulder . 

• Like (+1) 1

Christian Eriksen collapsing during the World Cup was probably the most uneasy I’ve ever felt watching someone go down during a sporting event.  

This was scary to watch, but it was pretty obviously a reaction to being knocked out.  Still, brain injuries are not anything to mess around with. 

5 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

When I had a concussion my hands shook like that, but it was likely from shock more than being cold. At best, he was trying to find some "good" news, at worst, he looks like an idiot

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Honestly one of the strangest ugly injuries I’ve seen from a guy just diving for the ball. My first reaction was to criticize him for not making the catch, after realizing what happened we can only hope he makes a quick recovery. 

I thought the same thing.  When he rolled sideways, went ridgid and got alligator arms, I knew something was very, very wrong and my heart dropped.  And you know it's really bad when they leave the helmet, but unscrew the facemask.

• Like (+1) 1

It looks like he jammed his neck a bit on the super slo-mo.  Hoping he didnt suffer any neck/spine trauma.

But this one is as gruesome as any.  I think the way the camera gets close immediately after, the player is unconscious and so rigid.  

Then he never appears to gain consciousness again as he is getting wheeled off.  

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This was one of the ugliest and scariest incidents I've ever seen in a game.

Parham pretty obviously never regained consciousness, even as they were wheeling him off the field after a sustained delay...with his hands convulsing nervously.

IMO, Buck and Aikman deliberately refrained from saying ANYTHING as the scene was already more than gruesome enough.  

Yeah scary moment. Up there with the Kevin Everett injury. Wish him the best....

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Honestly one of the strangest ugly injuries I’ve seen from a guy just diving for the ball. My first reaction was to criticize him for not making the catch, after realizing what happened we can only hope he makes a quick recovery. 

Remember Aaron Williams diving for Edelman in the endzone?

Edited by BringBackFlutie

8 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Its football.  Its a violent game.  Joe Buck wasn't making fun of him in the slightest.  Get a grip.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

I was watching the game and saw that play but for the life of me i couldn't figure out what he did i thought at first he had hurt his elbow the way he landed and even during the replay it didn't look bad at all i have seen a lot worse landings than that watching the NFL .

I hope he is alright first and foremost i just wonder if something may have happened earlier on a hit or fall that could have started the injury but then that fall just finished it because as i said it didn't look as if it was that bad of a fall matter of fact it looked like he landed on his shoulder . 

His head hit the ground, nothing more to it

I dont have the stats but I feel there are more head injuries hitting the ground on turf than on grass

51 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

A doctor went through the whole event in great detail. Definitely informative.

So nice that the doctor has a jersey sitting over a skeleton, I'm sure that's what people want to see when finding out how bad their favorite player's injury was.

Why not finish the scene with a wheelchair and coffin

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.