If anyone wants to say the NFL isn't rigged, please re-watch that game

UKBillFan

All officiating teams and performances are reviewed by the league and graded, in an effort to keep quality up.

Only the best crews get to work playoff games, and the Super Bowl is officiated by the "best" officials, in theory.

If an official was consistently really poorly graded, I would like to think he would not be asked back to continue working.

The refs had an easier time this week .. didn't have to question which ways to call it as New England, Pittsburgh, and Dallas were not playing the Bucs

Just now, Jeffbigalls said:

If bills won nobody would be saying anything about officiating. 

Yes .. yes we would .. it was egregious.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jeffbigalls said:

If bills won nobody would be saying anything about officiating. 

Actually, I think people would!

Officiating is discussed here constantly, win, lose, or draw, and there is always a certain faction of fans that believe the Bills are specifically targeted as part of a conspiracy.

Then you have the theories about games being rigged by the NFL to promote certain Super Bowl matchups, etc.

1 minute ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The refs had an easier time this week .. didn't have to question which ways to call it as New England, Pittsburgh, and Dallas were not playing the Bucs

Yes .. yes we would .. it was egregious.

At the end of the day you didn't lose because of the refs,  you lost because you didn't.make enough plays. You had a chance to go down and win in over time and it didn't happen.  Just remember the officials on the field don't have the beauty of the replays shown on tv, they see what they see, call what they call.

The refs for each game are available to the public.   It’s not hard to find.

For example, right now on NFL.com, for each week and each game, you can open a .pdf file which contains the names of all the officials.

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/58708/TB_Gamebook.pdf

It’s not a secret

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

All officiating teams and performances are reviewed by the league and graded, in an effort to keep quality up.

Only the best crews get to work playoff games, and the Super Bowl is officiated by the "best" officials, in theory.

If an official was consistently really poorly graded, I would like to think he would not be asked back to continue working.

Can you tell us more about the review/grading process?

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Actually, I think people would!

Officiating is discussed here constantly, win, lose, or draw, and there is always a certain faction of fans that believe the Bills are specifically targeted as part of a conspiracy.

Then you have the theories about games being rigged by the NFL to promote certain Super Bowl matchups, etc.

....and then you have a portion of naive fans who see NFL officiating through rose colored glasses....

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

At the end of the day you didn't lose because of the refs,  you lost because you didn't.make enough plays. You had a chance to go down and win in over time and it didn't happen.  Just remember the officials on the field don't have the beauty of the replays shown on tv, they see what they see, call what they call.

They see what they see .. they just happen to see plays against Brady's offense as PI and plays against Brady's defense as good old fashioned jockeying with no call. I don't gripe about refereeing, but this was such a toxic dump of one sided calls .. the odds of it being not due to bias is to say the least slim.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The refs for each game are available to the public.   It’s not hard to find.

For example, right now on NFL.com, for each week and each game, you can open a .pdf file which contains the names of all the officials.

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/58708/TB_Gamebook.pdf

It’s not a secret

Can you tell us more about the review/grading process?

Im not sure if the criteria for which the crews are graded is public knowledge. 

I do know that he is correct in that they are graded each week and the highest graded crews get playoff games.

The teams also get to send feedback to the league regarding calls, or lack thereof, but I’m not sure how that factors in the grading if at all. 

I think one guys name was Roger Goodellski and UncleTommy Bradyia.

Seriously, whoever they were Daboll should have known as the game went on they werent throwing a flag unless its was a ridiculous mauling and Josh was breathing fire at that point.  The wrong time for a fade/,touch pass to a smallish redzone target.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I think one guys name was Roger Goodellski and UncleTommy Bradyia.

Seriously, whoever they were Daboll should have known as the game went on they werent throwing a flag unless its was a ridiculous mauling and Josh was breathing fire at that point.  The wrong time for a fade/,touch pass to a smallish redzone target.

The problem for me is the bucs were getting tossup dpis/defensive holding in their favor all night…what is Daboll supposed to do…normally those ‘let them play’ type games are naturally lower scoring but they only let one defensive play lol 

i wish each owner had an opportunity to vet the refs before the game, like betting backgrounds, hometown backgrounds etc. kind of like a jury selection.

sports need to do away with reffing anyway, they always make the games worse. for the NFL, there needs to be on-field bouncers to stop scrums and blow the whistle to start and end the play.

idk im tired of these #######s determining games

You know what bugs me the most? We’ve been at this for 20 years now with the Pats/Brady. And I feel that AT LEAST half of the games in which there have been major issues with officiating against the Bills have involved Brady’s team.

Now when you consider we were playing this team for only 2 of our 16 games each season (this year 1), yet at least half of our games with inexplicably bad officiating have involved the NFL’s Golden Boy, how can you argue that it’s coincidental any more? It isn’t.

And the WORST feeling for me as a fan is when you come to the realization that the NFL can and will force feed us with the success of whatever team they want. That in itself has made me wish I could stop being a fan. 

I was telling my buddy earlier. Drops cost us the Pats game. Refs cost us the Bucs game. I hate losing games because of self-inflicted issues, but NOTHING compares to refs dictating the game because that’s a situation the Bills have NO control over.

Edited by BobBelcher
  • Like (+1) 1

Michael Banks, Derick Bowers, Terrence Miles, David Meslow, Walt Coleman, Scott Novak, Ramon George

This was from the ESPN page with the stats for the game.  Scott Novak was the referee, the head guy.  You might notice the name Walt Coleman.  Apparently he's the son of the guy who Ralph Wilson tried to get barred from ever reffing a Bills game again, after the infamous "Just give it to them" game where the Patriots with Bledsoe got egregious calls to enable them to win.  

2 hours ago, dezertbill said:

Seems that NFL refs get off scott-free each week for calls that are either incompetent, or unethical. 

Yet when it’s all said and done, refs go home to their normal lives with no repercussions.  The NFL doesn’t care because they are a multi billion dollar business.  Refs don’t care cuz they get away with it with zero repercussions.

If the NFL doesn’t care that their refs are unethical or incompetent, then the names of the refs who are making/ not making these calls should be exposed to the Public.  It would be interesting to see if the exposing the names of these refs making bad calls for their own personal agenda would help their competence level and make them be more efficient? 

Anyone have the names of the ref(s) who made the call against Wallace and didn’t call the Diggs PI vs Bucs that we can post on the board?  

It was an early Bucs coach who, when asked what he thought about his team's execution after another brutal loss, said "I'd be in favor of it".

I think a lot of Bills fans would say the same thing about the refs in the Bucs game.  But honestly, the refs executed perfectly.  The game got a lot tighter in the fourth quarter so viewership remained high (good for ratings for TV, good for ads), and the team that was supposed to win was able to win at the end.  It's times like these when all you can do is shake our heads in wonderment that we keep falling for this, thinking it's athletics when it's really just show business.

6 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

With all that Bills still had a chance in overtime. They went 3 and out. Then couldn’t get off the field on 3rd and 3. Fans wanna blame the refs..but we didn’t do what we needed to do to win. 

if you blame coaches and players for mistakes that cause the team to lose, same goes for the refs. If they call DPI on those maybe we do win.

6 hours ago, 727Bills said:

The Bills team has been the model of inconsistency this year... And yet here we are complaining of the refs.

Soon as the Bills start being consistently good then I'll worry about the refs 

I'd bet the latter (refs) starts mattering less if the former (Bills overall play) improves. 

why can't we complain about the refs?  We played a great 2nd half to come back and tie and could have won had they made those calls

Tim Brando on Twitter: "It’s a problem. Romo & Nantz were extremely diplomatic let’s say! Im@not suggesting “fixed”as what some are suggesting but PI is a problem the league must fix. In CFB it truly varies from crew to crew. As long as they are consistent with “no calls” and they weren’t close to that!" / Twitter

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

well, the refs likely cant be fired easily due to the ridiculous fact they have a union. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Make the refs full time employees.  The NFL can afford it.  More training leads to better results.

these missed calls a college ref could make.  there is just no reason for them to care as nfl refs.  they make 6 figures and never are fined for awful calls.  meanwhile criticize the refs in a post game conference and you can be fined.  

this is full blown conspiracy theory to explain crappy officiating.  if its rigged then Pats would not have lost to NYG in their quest for an undefeated season.  if its rigged then someone involved would have written a book and mad millions off it. 

Just horrid refs because they are not fined for being awful.   

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Im not sure if the criteria for which the crews are graded is public knowledge. 

I do know that he is correct in that they are graded each week and the highest graded crews get playoff games.

The teams also get to send feedback to the league regarding calls, or lack thereof, but I’m not sure how that factors in the grading if at all. 

I am a bit surprised that there isn't some 3rd party referee grading system.  If you think of all the advanced stats that PFF, Next Gen Stats and others have developed where we know the degree of separation each WR had on each pass attempt, why hasn't some grading system on officials been developed.  This is a yearly complaint.  If we went back into TBD history, there would be threads in most years about how the refs have never been worse.  Seems like the best way to put some sunshine to this topic is to be able to track officials on penalties called (what kinds, how often, in what game circumstances), missed penalties and so forth.  It would be a popular set of stats....

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 2

• Simon locked, locked, unlocked and unlocked this topic
4 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

You're going to dox the refs?  Sick.

It is not up to mortals to adjudicate what is or is not mentally healthy behavior, Dan. The Pro Football Gods of Buffalo have resolutely spoken to me in my sleep last night. They are angry. You could even sense their rage in the WNY winds over the weekend. You could see their fury in the Lake Erie waves that crashed onto the city’s shoreline. They demand sacrifices to be made in their name to atone for the sins that were committed yesterday afternoon. Those referees besmirched the Queen City, and so henceforth they must be confronted with their acts of treason.

With myself as their vessel of vengeance, the Pro Football Gods of Buffalo have ordained that these referees be doxed online, kidnapped, tied up, and forced to watch footage of each egregious call from the Bucs game. They must confront The Truth. Afterward, I shall take off my clothes, turn around, and reveal to them my full body tattoo of Carlton Davis molesting Stefon Diggs on that receiver route, and cry out, “Do you see?! DO YOU SEE??!!” I will then pull out a large feather and proceed to tickle the feet of each referee. I will continue to tickle them until they cannot take any more tickling. It is at that very breaking point when I will then break out an even larger feather. More tickling will ensue. This is what the Pro Football Gods of Buffalo have decreed.

The 1921 Staley Swindle. The 1949 AAFC Bills franchise rejection. The 1967 New Year’s Day AFL Championship loss. Wide Right. OJ’s bad day. Homerun Throwback. The 17-year playoff drought. Last Monday’s game against Belichick’s Patriots. And now this 33rd defeat to Brady. “Enough is enough!” the Pro Football Gods of Buffalo have exclaimed. Romania had Vlad the Impaler. Buffalo has Kay the Featherer. Dox away, I say! Find these referees and let’s give ‘em a tickling hell! Welcome to Buffalo. City of Good Neighbors? No more. City of Vengeful Ticklers? Yes, please.

P.S. I have no earthly idea what got into me this morning…writing is my trauma coping mechanism…

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

That non-pass interference on digs in the end zone that would’ve put the ball at the one with no time for Brady to come back hurt they were playing that beautifully

But… I don’t think there’s a conspiracy I just think they’re incompetent

It’s not a conspiracy. It’s probably the refs not wanting to make a bad call and then they make a horrible no-call that potentially has a major impact on the game. 

we’ve been on the opposite side far too many times when playing Tom Brady because he gets the benefit of the doubt. I’m pissed after looking at pictures and replays from last night. How did not a single red see that?

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Most were borderline, but the DPI call on wallace should get an official demoted. What a terrible game-changing call.

Wait a second Dave, when there were 4-5 blatant PI calls against Tampa, none of which were called then Tampa gets 5 PI/holding calls in their favor stop with the borderline crap.  Sanders and Diggs in the first half pretty much got their jerseys taken off with no calls.  I have said for years, I am not going to say it is rigged but the NFL has an agenda and that agenda is for some reason to get Brady as many wins/super bowl appearances as possible.  Yesterday it was so over the top I can not believe anybody is remotely defending the refs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Ball spots were off all night in favor of the Bucs. Lots of other little things.

But the refs were not why the Bills lost. The Bills playing like crap for more than a half is why they lost.

It was fun to watch them come back, at least. Allen is a warrior.

We noticed the weird ball spotting early in the game.  What the hell was up with that?  Don't think it mattered except for the 4th down THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MEASURED but they kept giving them an extra yard on spots.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.