McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

No argument there. Josh makes that throw and the Patriots look like fools for their game plan. But we all know what happened. Josh needs to calm down and finish these games! Plain and simple. It’s what separates the top QBs from the rest. 

Agreed.  I have been saying all week that if he makes a handful of throws more than he did make, at the right time, we win the game.  And then I'm not sure people would be talking about the things they are talking about.

The same will happen if we manage to win in Tampa.  Suddenly we'll morph into a good team again.  

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

He has the ideal call on fourth down. Two receivers running crossing routes right over an EMPTY middle of the field. The QB completely missing the throw. That’s not on Daboll. (And I’m not a Daboll fan.)

Josh said it was hard to throw the ball in the middle because of the wind

• Like (+1) 1

I digress. Our team has a top 5 QB and a talented roster. All it will take in my mind is one great draft and one great offseason and the Bills will be ready to compete again. I get it, I felt miserable after the Patriots loss too, but Belichick as obnoxious and profane as he is is arguably the greatest coach of all time. I don’t like him, but I respect him. He has a good 35 years of experience on McDermott.

The Bills hadn’t made the playoffs in a billion years since Beane and McD got here, give him a chance to fix things. 45 W - 31 L in his tenure here is absolutely way, way better than what we’re used to. If you fire coach McD, we may go back to being like the Ralph Wilson Bills.

Fix the OL, get a stud RB and plug in a couple nasty NTs and we’re back on top of the AFC East again. Give McD a chance to settle the score with Bill Belichick.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:09 PM, Wizard said:

There was absolutely no reason that the Bills should have lost this game! For this reason, the Pegula’s need to clean out some of the coaching leadership.

The odds of screwing up so many times in a row in a game is probably a million to one. That comes down to poor coaching and players not executing. When players screw up and coaches can not adjust, then this means that McDermott’s coaching ceiling has already been reached. He and his staff are average despite the team’s history

Great Coach gets 10-14 points in the situation below.  Good coach gets 6 to 7 points. Replaceable coach gets 0-3 points. 

2x’s in the last 6 minutes the Patriots gift wrapped two very doable red zone touchdown opportunities. And, Allen gets sacked, an idiot TE false start, a missed field goal, and passing the ball when running could have led to more manageable play calling rather than 3rd and long and 4th and 14 situations.

No adjustments…means no Confidence!

The team lost at home with the best fans, better receivers, and quarterback, unbelievable opportunities to win, and the defense knowing in advance that 95% of the team’s plays would be runs. Mac Jones may have set a record in the last 40 years with 19 pass yards! In other words, our defensive line knew what was coming and the Hoodie decided to be completely one dimensional knowing the Bills could do nothing about it!!!

Winning Culture

Yes, there was wind and stats were not going to be as big tonight. The Bills had every reason to win and own the division. It was blanking Monday Night Football. The team had this game circled all season. No amount of clapping, rah rah, or “process” makes up for fumbling the game away.

Bad coaching, players aren’t executing, and we can’t build our offense or defense with underwhelming line play, time management issues, and not getting the ball from a 30 million dollar QB not getting the ball to Diggs or a line not capable of digging in and getting 10 yards on the ground with some old-fashion tough running.

Ceiling has been reached..new voices

A weaker AFC, Derrick Henry going down, the Chiefs inconsistencies and Ravens, and the inability to beat playoff caliber teams, execute at key times, and the lack of consistency on the lines means this is McDermott’s ceiling.

Time for Bills to make big changes!

This has got to be a Patriots Troll!!!

• Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Seriously? Anybody who’s watched football since the challenge was implemented would know there is no ***** way that call was getting overturned. It was an abysmal challenge.

Seriously.

I thought it was a horrible call. It certainly was a risk, but I was convinced he did not make the first down.

As I said, I am not a fan of McD, but challenging that call is among the least of his issues.

Edited by Peter

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This is what I referenced here yesterday (God knows which thread it was in)...they were talking about this sort of thing all afternoon on GR-55.  

Like we get the ball down in the red zone and need to score a TD.  The first play is run into the line for no gain.  Is that play called b/c Daboll thought it was a good idea?  Or because he is being TOLD to call that play?  Perhaps he has been pressured to give the running game more attention...

I just don't think Daboll does that on his own, especially toward the end of the NE game based on how it was going.

Daboll is the gambler of the team and I think he'd call Josh-Keeper-Sweeps or passes into the end zone.

This story line isn't really being discussed that much, but maybe it will gain some traction.

I would hate to find out we are kind of shooting ourselves in the foot...it's hard enough to score in this league as it is.

McD definitely wants the run game to get going, it’s very understandable. Problem with the calls is we run the same stupid runs in the red zone on first down. 3 or 4 WR sets making it like we are looking to continue to pass, but then run trying to catch them off guard. I don’t believe that’s McD, that’s Dabol. It’s the most common play we have once we get to the red zone, and it always comes on first down. So ***** stupid and predictable. Just bring in extra blockers and run, it’s ok that the defense knows that’s the plan. Bills knew the patriots were gonna run for 4 quarters, sometimes they went nowhere’s sometimes the got chunks 

6 hours ago, Peter said:

I have never been a McD fan, but I absolutely do not blame him for challenging the spot.

To me (even though I am biased), it was clear that we stopped his forward progress before he made a first down.

That play is never reversed ever.  Thats why most coaches know and most fans know not to challenge it.  There are too many bodies in the area to determine the correct placement of the ball so they always go with the call on the field.

10 minutes ago, Peter said:

Seriously.

I thought it was a horrible call. It certainly was a risk, but I was convinced he did not make the first down.

As I said, I am not a fan of McD, but challenging that call is among the least of his issues.

It doesnt matter if it was a horrible call.  What matters is the chance it would be overturned.  That chance was pretty much zero.

6 hours ago, Peter said:

I have never been a McD fan, but I absolutely do not blame him for challenging the spot.

To me (even though I am biased), it was clear that we stopped his forward progress before he made a first down.

"Just give it to them"...that's why you don't challenge. The refs were never reversing that terrible spot. McD's history of challenges is awful. I don't know if I want McD fired? He's great at his culture,  process and player loyalty (to a fault). But he kinda sucks at being a  game day tactician. And his time management is also bad. His loyalty for Edmunds is absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

That play is never reversed ever.  Thats why most coaches know and most fans know not to challenge it.  There are too many bodies in the area to determine the correct placement of the ball so they always go with the call on the field.

It doesnt matter if it was a horrible call.  What matters is the chance it would be overturned.  That chance was pretty much zero.

I saw it differently. To me, it was a horrible call that should have been overturned.

Again, challenging that play is among the least of McD's issues.

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

"Just give it to them"...that's why you don't challenge. The refs were never reversing that terrible spot. McD's history of challenges is awful. I don't know if I want McD fired? He's great at his culture,  process and player loyalty (to a fault). But he kinda sucks at being a  game day tactician. And his time management is also bad. His loyalty for Edmunds is absolutely ridiculous. 

Player loyalty?

You may want to ask Isiah what he has to say about that.

Oh, wait. We already know:

"Damn"

Just now, Peter said:

I saw it differently. To me, it was a horrible call that should have been overturned.

Again, challenging that play is among the least of McD's issues.

Again, they cant determine the proper place of the ball with that many bodies.  It doesnt matter if it looks like he didnt make it.  They need clear evidence that he didn't.  Which the review is not going to show.  Where his head is doesnt count.  What counts is where the ball is when his knee hits the ground.  Too many bodies to see.  Everyone knows that call is not overturned ever.

It is one of his issues.  

42 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Again, they cant determine the proper place of the ball with that many bodies.  It doesnt matter if it looks like he didnt make it.  They need clear evidence that he didn't.  Which the review is not going to show.  Where his head is doesnt count.  What counts is where the ball is when his knee hits the ground.  Too many bodies to see.  Everyone knows that call is not overturned ever.

It is one of his issues.  

Clearly, we disagree. Not a surprise.  I really don't care. God bless.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:09 AM, Wizard said:

There was absolutely no reason that the Bills should have lost this game! For this reason, the Pegula’s need to clean out some of the coaching leadership.

The odds of screwing up so many times in a row in a game is probably a million to one. That comes down to poor coaching and players not executing. When players screw up and coaches can not adjust, then this means that McDermott’s coaching ceiling has already been reached. He and his staff are average despite the team’s history

Great Coach gets 10-14 points in the situation below.  Good coach gets 6 to 7 points. Replaceable coach gets 0-3 points. 

2x’s in the last 6 minutes the Patriots gift wrapped two very doable red zone touchdown opportunities. And, Allen gets sacked, an idiot TE false start, a missed field goal, and passing the ball when running could have led to more manageable play calling rather than 3rd and long and 4th and 14 situations.

The team lost at home with the best fans, better receivers, and quarterback, unbelievable opportunities to win, and the defense knowing in advance that 95% of the team’s plays would be runs. Mac Jones may have set a record in the last 40 years with 19 pass yards! In other words, our defensive line knew what was coming and the Hoodie decided to be completely one dimensional knowing the Bills could do nothing about it!!!

Winning Culture

Yes, there was wind and stats were not going to be as big tonight. The Bills had every reason to win and own the division. It was blanking Monday Night Football. The team had this game circled all season. No amount of clapping, rah rah, or “process” makes up for fumbling the game away.

Bad coaching, players aren’t executing, and we can’t build our offense or defense with underwhelming line play, time management issues, and not getting the ball from a 30 million dollar QB not getting the ball to Diggs or a line not capable of digging in and getting 10 yards on the ground with some old-fashion tough running.

A weaker AFC, Derrick Henry going down, the Chiefs inconsistencies and Ravens, and the inability to beat playoff caliber teams, execute at key times, and the lack of consistency on the lines means this is McDermott’s ceiling.

Dude...get the hell out of here with this dumb *****

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

No argument there. Josh makes that throw and the Patriots look like fools for their game plan. But we all know what happened. Josh needs to calm down and finish these games! Plain and simple. It’s what separates the top QBs from the rest. 

Josh made plenty of throws that guys didn’t come up with that would have won the game too. The difficulty level was higher for him throwing with the wind then them catching/dropping it.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

ike we get the ball down in the red zone and need to score a TD.  The first play is run into the line for no gain.  Is that play called b/c Daboll thought it was a good idea?  Or because he is being TOLD to call that play?  

I think he called it cuz there was 2:30 left and we wanted to run some clock and make the Cheats** burn a timeout which they did or run it down to 2:00 warning.  Didn't want to score too soon.

On 12/8/2021 at 8:45 PM, Best Williams Available said:

This is fact but it’s stated in a way that makes you think McD turned a 6-10 team to 10-6 just by coaching. The personnel has changed and improved a lot compared to what Whaley gave them (something like <5 drafted players still on team after a decade). He’s not coaching the same or even the same caliber of players. He has Josh “friggin” Allen, not EJ Manuel or Tyrod Taylor. Josh on those crappy teams buys you 4 more wins alone, with no input from McD. This miraculous turnaround fantasy only makes sense in a vacuum.

McDermott and Beane turned over that roster themselves and they’re the ones that drafted Josh Allen. It took 20 years to draft Jim Kelly’s replacement. Donahoe, Levy, Russ Brandon and Whaley all were unsuccessful at drafting a franchise QB and building a team that made the playoffs. By no means is McDermott perfect, he is still inexperienced and makes lots of mistakes, but he’s more than earned the right to keep coaching the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

McDermott and Beane turned over that roster themselves and they’re the ones that drafted Josh Allen. It took 20 years to draft Jim Kelly’s replacement. Donahoe, Levy, Russ Brandon and Whaley all were unsuccessful at drafting a franchise QB and building a team that made the playoffs. By no means is McDermott perfect, he is still inexperienced and makes lots of mistakes, but he’s more than earned the right to keep coaching the team. 

I don't see any utility in firing Mcdermott.  This is his fifth season as HC, so Inexperienced is a bit odd to say.  I do want McDermott to get better.  Real question? What areas has he improved in in the last three years.  Part of me thinks that we have reached the point that "what we see is what we have". 

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 12/7/2021 at 12:18 AM, Billznut said:

I’m not sure McD is a top 5 or even top 10 coach. But he will NOT be fired, even IF we miss the playoffs this year. I’d bet my life and the lives of my entire family on that.  So you are wasting energy. 

What do you win if he isn't fired?  Seems like a one sided bet

This is just Buffalo brilliance at its best ! The winningest coach & GM in 20 yrs and they have a bad stint & your ready to fire every body & start all over again to go another 20 yrs with never making the play offs BRILLIANT !! 

Every team has some bad games and for what ever reason this year hasn't been all that & a bag of chips but i'm in no way ready to fire either the HC or the GM especially after turning this team around and getting them to the AFC championship game how soon we forget !! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/7/2021 at 12:09 AM, Wizard said:

Winning Culture

It is times like this when I discover people who are DCTom material (if you’ve been around, you know what that means), or people who are just desperately in need of attention. 

Tequila is a third option, but what are the odds of that? I’m going with option 1 or 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not sure why so many people on this forum suggest that McDIMWITT  is untouchable.  He coached this team to some wins and a playoff birth since the days of Talley, Kelly, Tasker, Smith, Bennett, Reed, Lofton, Beebe, Thomas & Levy.  Well the Bills have a talented roster and we’re expected to make some noise in January.  When was the last time that you were impressed with his coaching after a game?  What in game decision(s) turned a game around for the Bills?  I would argue that Sean rarely if ever adjusts to what the opposition is doing.  He has a poor feel for the game in real time.  The penalties continue to plague this team and the red zone offense is weak sauce.  What aspect of this team.. actually let me rephrase that.  What phase of the Buffalo Bills is well coached?  Are they winning despite poor coaching?  Are they winning despite mediocre coaching?  

Sean seemed to be a little more candid and upset after the loss to the Patriots.  This team is searching for a leader.  

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, KeLLy1278 said:

I’m not sure why so many people on this forum suggest that McDIMWITT  is untouchable.  He coached this team to some wins and a playoff birth since the days of Talley, Kelly, Tasker, Smith, Bennett, Reed, Lofton, Beebe, Thomas & Levy.  Well the Bills have a talented roster and we’re expected to make some noise in January.  When was the last time that you were impressed with his coaching after a game?  What in game decision(s) turned a game around for the Bills?  I would argue that Sean rarely if ever adjusts to what the opposition is doing.  He has a poor feel for the game in real time.  The penalties continue to plague this team and the red zone offense is weak sauce.  What aspect of this team.. actually let me rephrase that.  What phase of the Buffalo Bills is well coached?  Are they winning despite poor coaching?  Are they winning despite mediocre coaching?  

Sean seemed to be a little more candid and upset after the loss to the Patriots.  This team is searching for a leader.  

You should try watching the games then.

8 hours ago, T master said:

This is just Buffalo brilliance at its best ! The winningest coach & GM in 20 yrs and they have a bad stint & your ready to fire every body & start all over again to go another 20 yrs with never making the play offs BRILLIANT !! 

image.jpeg.ad01d6445ed00c9b4c5e29f750c1125a.jpeg

'WILL WORK FOR FOOD...LOTS OF IT.'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Chaos said:

I don't see any utility in firing Mcdermott.  This is his fifth season as HC, so Inexperienced is a bit odd to say.  I do want McDermott to get better.  Real question? What areas has he improved in in the last three years.  Part of me thinks that we have reached the point that "what we see is what we have". 

We need to see how this season plays out. I do wonder if Josh needs a new offensive minded HC who has had more success than McD. 

4 hours ago, george c said:

What an absolutely  dumb topic..

It worked for John Elway when they fired Dan Reeves. I don't want Josh to have to wait until he's an old man to win a Super Bowl though. 

12 minutes ago, Motorin&#x27; said:

We need to see how this season plays out. I do wonder if Josh needs a new offensive minded HC who has had more success than McD. 

It worked for John Elway when they fired Dan Reeves. I don't want Josh to have to wait until he's an old man to win a Super Bowl though. 

People who are opposed to firing McDermott in this thread are not really opposed to firing McDermott.

They are afraid that we will end up much worse after the coaching change.

There's no guarantee a change improves the team, and some people focus on that aspect of it.

In theory, everyone should support a coaching change, given the premise that it actually improves the team.

Who doesn't want to see the team improved?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Motorin&#x27; said:

Reeves i might actually be a very good analogy for McDermott.  Reeves was considered a very good coach.  Just turned out he wasn't a great coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

People who are opposed to firing McDermott in this thread are not really opposed to firing McDermott.

They are afraid that we will end up much worse after the coaching change.

There's no guarantee a change improves the team, and some people focus on that aspect of it.

In theory, everyone should support a coaching change, given the premise that it actually improves the team.

Who doesn't want to see the team improved?

It's definitely premature and a complete hot take to call for the end of the McD era. 

A better thread discussion is: when does it make sense to start talking about a HC change?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Motorin&#x27; said:

It's definitely premature and a complete hot take to call for the end of the McD era. 

A better thread discussion is: when does it make sense to start talking about a HC change?

After consecutive losing seasons and not a minute before. 

• Agree 1

On 12/6/2021 at 11:09 PM, Wizard said:

Winning Culture

Firing a coach as successful as McDermott has been would be stupid.  Very stupid.  Odds are high that you will replace him with a lesser coach.  Odds are high you will lose some very good coaches and good players too.  

The Pittsburgh Steeler have had 3 coaches in 50 years. There will be great years, goid years, lesser years, and bad years.   

However this season turns out, patience is the best course.  McDermott dies not deserve to be fired.  His track record is still very solid.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I think the concern is he is another Schottenheimer and wont get over the hump due to his regimented mentality and downright stubborness.  Continuity is good but would like to see the coach go outside his comfort zone. 

The analogy I think of is Marvin Lewis at Cincinnati.

Too many grades on McDermott's report card are "C+" type stuff, though he has done a few things very well, historically.

Getting the team prepared to play each week and coming out on fire was always seemingly one of his strengths, and even that has been tested this year.

7 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I think the concern is he is another Schottenheimer and wont get over the hump due to his regimented mentality and downright stubborness.  Continuity is good but would like to see the coach go outside his comfort zone. 

What do you mean by outside his comfort zone? Are you suggesting he take over the offensive play calling? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.