McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

Just now, Greg S said:

He has also been a HC for around 20 years or so with the Eagles and Chiefs. He also had a lot of years where he couldn't get over the hump. This is only year 5 for McDermott.

I'm not asking for McDermott to be fired. I'm asking for daboll and maybe frazier to go.

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Apologies, no.

Been to two, won one. My mistake.

Point still stands, though. Daboll doesn't have nearly the track record to be afforded leeway.

So Reid has 1 Super Bowl win in 20+ seasons and he gets a pass, but Daboll has won 0 in 3 full years as offensive coordinator and should be canned. Ok.

Hasn't Dabol technically won like 5 Super Bowls?

Edited by MrSarcasm

46 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Yes I am.

Do you expect every coach/coordinator to be perfect or high performing EVERY game?

KC has struggled on offense this year so by your own standards Andy Reid should be fired. Again this board is full of loonies.

I'm looking at your screen name and hope the post reflects it......

Daboll is okay.  Again he has not done well this year and particulalrly bad inside the 10 yard line.

If he was responsible for those 3 calls in OT, then again there are issues.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm looking at your screen name and hope the post reflects it......

Daboll is okay.  Again he has not done well this year and particulalrly bad inside the 10 yard line.

If he was responsible for those 3 calls in OT, then again there are issues.

Seriously, 3 calls. View the forrest not the trees.

By the way Nathaniel Hacket is rumored to be a hot coaching candidate this year, maybe you would prefer we hire him back?

The grass isn't always greener.

8 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Seriously, 3 calls. View the forrest not the trees.

By the way Nathaniel Hacket is rumored to be a hot coaching candidate this year, maybe you would prefer we hire him back?

The grass isn't always greener.

I was just again pointing out the general issues and those three calls are indicative of deeper issues. 

OT, the Bills have the ball and can't afford top give it to Brady.  So what are the calls?????  A run and two short passes.  Just pathetic.....  

i suspected it before, but alphadawg convinced me, mcd went riot act last week at half time and woke dabol up, and basically took over the D (he's taken over the d before).  the data shows us frazier is a solid DC, but McD is simply a better one, so when he steps in on the D, it gets better results.  i think he may have to take a page out of billicheat's book and always have a hand as being a shadow DC or whatever you want to call it, not saying he is as good, but mcd simply has a feel and understanding of D that most don't.

the bigger issue coaching wise is on O, obviously.  I think Dabol struck gold w allen and digs and co, and that alone is the polish on his turd CV as an OC.  in 2019 allen had like 3rd in the nfl total TDs, and our O was basically putrid statistically (remember the no 300 yard game threads?!?!?), and that was with dialing up some horrible stinkers early (remember that NE game, which we still had a shot of winning!!).  if you look at dabol throughout his career as an NFL OC, he's been nearly the worst every time, with the exception of 2020 and 2021.  given we have a WR who came in having been a top guy, and our QB was good enough to get the biggest guarantee in NFL history, i think our shortcomings are clearly more on coaching than players.  our OL stucks, but they have gotten worse while adding more talent, and the inconsistency is a pretty strong indicator of coaching issues (it's not just play calling, it's also preparation week to week and through out the season).

in short, keep mcD (that might change if we really capsize and miss playoffs), shoot the O coaches out of a cannon, and consider changes on D.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I was just again pointing out the general issues and those three calls are indicative of deeper issues. 

OT, the Bills have the ball and can't afford top give it to Brady.  So what are the calls?????  A run and two short passes.  Just pathetic.....  

Would you have gone for it on 4th down when it was 27-24? It would have been a gutsy call but looking back on it I might have done it just to avoid any chance Brady gets the ball in OT. The Bills got the ball first so they had their chance to win but once they went 3 and out I knew it wasn't going to end well. As for the 4th down I would have had Allen roll out with the option to run or pass. It would have taken a lot of guts to go for it on 4th down in that spot.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I don't disagree with you there but again in the big picture of things- I like Daboll - I like most of Dabolls play calling-

I feel anyone we bring in to replace him won't be as good or at the very least will take 2-3 seasons to be marginally better and at that point it just would be a dumb move.

Before people go sounding off for a guy to be fired, maybe they should have an idea of who would be a good replacement.

18 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

I don't disagree with you there but again in the big picture of things- I like Daboll - I like most of Dabolls play calling-

I feel anyone we bring in to replace him won't be as good or at the very least will take 2-3 seasons to be marginally better and at that point it just would be a dumb move.

Before people go sounding off for a guy to be fired, maybe they should have an idea of who would be a good replacement.

What do you like about it? The fact that the team can go pass happy on crappy teams with no pass rush, Jets, Miami...

This Bills offense scored ONLY 6 points against a horrid 1-6 Jaguars team that was fielding the 30th ranked  defense at that time! Beaten 10-6...

That loss should stick in Bills history forever as they could be 8-5 right now!

Think about how many games this team could have won with a decent running attack. Not to mention settling for field goals?

Steelers loss 16-23...3 field goals, 18 points lost

Titans loss 31-34...3 field goals, 18 points lost

Jaguars loss 6-10...2 field goals, 11 points lost

Patriots loss 10-14...2 field goals, one missed. 11 points lost

Buccaneers loss 27-33, 2 field goals 11 points lost. That last field goal with 25 seconds left in the fourth quarter would have probably won the game right there if it were a TD.

The Bills are currently 18th in red zone TD percentage @ 58.93 % and that is up from the last few games where they were 46.5%. That last percentage put them last on the NFL for awhile. 

But, But the Buffalo Bills can't run the ball...BS!

Devin Singletary in that Bucs game went 4 for 52 for 3 first downs for a 13.0 YPC AVG. Now, we all saw what that rushing did in taking advantage of the Bucs pass rush... and ran right past where the rusher was coming from!!

45 minutes ago, colin said:

i suspected it before, but alphadawg convinced me, mcd went riot act last week at half time and woke dabol up

The O line is good enough...the RB's are good enough! Where has that been all season...its the scheme that has been bad and that's on the Bills OC!!

58 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Would you have gone for it on 4th down when it was 27-24? It would have been a gutsy call but looking back on it I might have done it just to avoid any chance Brady gets the ball in OT. The Bills got the ball first so they had their chance to win but once they went 3 and out I knew it wasn't going to end well. As for the 4th down I would have had Allen roll out with the option to run or pass. It would have taken a lot of guts to go for it on 4th down in that spot.

I would have liked to see a higher percentage play on third down, knowing you’re going to go for it on fourth and short.     I can’t recall if we had a timeout left or not, so that could have been a limiting factor, but you’d really like to see a Josh Allen run somewhere in the mix down there. And yes, he should have gone for it on fourth and 3, but it would have taken some big balls.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

What do you like about it? The fact that the team can go pass happy on crappy teams with no pass rush, Jets, Miami...

This Bills offense scored ONLY 6 points against a horrid 1-6 Jaguars team that was fielding the 30th ranked  defense at that time! Beaten 10-6...

Think about how many games this team could have won with a decent running attack. Not to mention settling for field goals?

Buccaneers loss 27-33, 2 field goals 11 points lost. That last field goal with 25 seconds left in the fourth quarter would have probably won the game right there if it were a TD.

The Bills are currently 18th in red zone TD percentage @ 58.93 % and that is up from the last few games where they were 46.5%. That last percentage put them last on the NFL for awhile. 

Devin Singletary in that Bucs game went 4 for 52 for 3 first downs for a 13.0 YPC AVG. Now, we all saw what that rushing did in taking advantage of the Bucs pass rush... and ran right past where the rusher was coming from!!

The O line is good enough...the RB's are good enough! Where has that been all season...its the scheme that has been bad and that's on the Bills OC!!

aside from perhaps just not being good enough, i think dabol suffers from being too clever by half.  i wonder if mcd is too nice at times, letting his coordinators have all the rope they need to hang themselves.

Sean McDermott has done his best, right now it's becoming evident that he's playing against two teams in larger games, teams like the Pats, Bucs, and Titans.  Then officials themselves who shave and skim points off of games.  It's only a character law of the NFL not for officials to gamble on the out come of games.  Look at Russia with Putin and fixing hockey games you get the picture.  

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

So, for example, in 2016, it wasn’t fair to call for Rex Ryan to be fired unless you had a ready replacement on the tip of your tongue? 😀

Sorry, that’s not how it works…in this business, if you’re not getting the job done, you’re out, regardless whether there’s a Sean McVay or Brandon Staley waiting in the wings…and that goes double for a place like TSW of course…

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm not asking for McDermott to be fired. I'm asking for daboll and maybe frazier to go.

Would you change your mind if they lose again to NE and drop one or more home games to CAR, NYJ, or ATL to miss the playoffs?  

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I don't see any argument for giving up on Frazier. The defense without Tre White has zero elite players and have still performed pretty well over the past two weeks. With one elite player they were the best defense in the league. Frazier gets the most out of his personnel, that's all you can reasonably ask for.

The offense on the other hand has two elite players at the two most important positions on offense and is somehow performing worse than the defense. That alone is cause for Daboll to be replaced.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/6/2021 at 11:09 PM, Wizard said:

There was absolutely no reason that the Bills should have lost this game! For this reason, the Pegula’s need to clean out some of the coaching leadership.

The odds of screwing up so many times in a row in a game is probably a million to one. That comes down to poor coaching and players not executing. When players screw up and coaches can not adjust, then this means that McDermott’s coaching ceiling has already been reached. He and his staff are average despite the team’s history

Great Coach gets 10-14 points in the situation below.  Good coach gets 6 to 7 points. Replaceable coach gets 0-3 points. 

2x’s in the last 6 minutes the Patriots gift wrapped two very doable red zone touchdown opportunities. And, Allen gets sacked, an idiot TE false start, a missed field goal, and passing the ball when running could have led to more manageable play calling rather than 3rd and long and 4th and 14 situations.

No adjustments…means no Confidence!

The team lost at home with the best fans, better receivers, and quarterback, unbelievable opportunities to win, and the defense knowing in advance that 95% of the team’s plays would be runs. Mac Jones may have set a record in the last 40 years with 19 pass yards! In other words, our defensive line knew what was coming and the Hoodie decided to be completely one dimensional knowing the Bills could do nothing about it!!!

Winning Culture

Yes, there was wind and stats were not going to be as big tonight. The Bills had every reason to win and own the division. It was blanking Monday Night Football. The team had this game circled all season. No amount of clapping, rah rah, or “process” makes up for fumbling the game away.

Bad coaching, players aren’t executing, and we can’t build our offense or defense with underwhelming line play, time management issues, and not getting the ball from a 30 million dollar QB not getting the ball to Diggs or a line not capable of digging in and getting 10 yards on the ground with some old-fashion tough running.

Ceiling has been reached..new voices

A weaker AFC, Derrick Henry going down, the Chiefs inconsistencies and Ravens, and the inability to beat playoff caliber teams, execute at key times, and the lack of consistency on the lines means this is McDermott’s ceiling.

Time for Bills to make big changes!

Please.  

The Bills finally have a franchise coach and are off of the perennial coaching / GM merry-go-round.  They have the keys and deservedly so. Give them time and the championship(s) will come.  

Look at the Bears for example, on the verge of another re-boot.  Good luck.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

No surprise you point out the blemishes.

You do know Buffalo has played 14 games not 5.  I mean I could go through every team and point out similar issues within certain games as well.  

Give me actual statistical expectations that would make you appreciate Daboll. Is it points? If so, how many? Is it RZ percentage? If so, what percent? Or....

Just sit back and point fingers and complain the whole time.

40 minutes ago, mannc said:

So, for example, in 2016, it wasn’t fair to call for Rex Ryan to be fired unless you had a ready replacement on the tip of your tongue? 😀

Sorry, that’s not how it works…in this business, if you’re not getting the job done, you’re out, regardless whether there’s a Sean McVay or Brandon Staley waiting in the wings…and that goes double for a place like TSW of course…

You are comparing apples to mercury.

Rex Ryan had a bottom 10 team in every category. You could throw a flippin dart into a crowd and hit someone who would be better.  McD just played in the AFC Championship game.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

The issue wasn't the 4th down decision (McD made the correct based on how dominant our D had been playing the second half), it was the once again awful call by Daboll on 3rd down.  You have Diggs, Cole, Knox, Allens legs and Davis...all excellent Redzone weapons.  So what does Daboll do?  Call a 50/50 ball where the ball has to be thrown before even knowing if the WR will win the fade route.  You want to call that on first down, fine...but come on, everyone in the world knows 3rd and 2 you MUST call your BEST play period.  Thats NOT our best play.  

Daboll continues to make unbelievably stupid calls in the Redzone and takes points off the board for us so many times.  Granted, there was blatant PI on that play and refs screwed us...but still was a terrible call to begin with.

As far as 4th down goes, when your defense is shutting down the opponent for an entire half you ALWAYS take the 3 points and force OT.  We did NOT lose this game because we kicked a FG.  We got the ball first in OT and another missed PI cost us our drive.  

So really, it was two bad PI misses by the refs that lost us that game...however, it was DABOLLS fault for putting us in that position in the first place with such a stupid call.  The moment the fade was apparent I yelled NOOOOOO STUPID CALL before the play even completed.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The issue wasn't the 4th down decision (McD made the correct based on how dominant our D had been playing the second half), it was the once again awful call by Daboll on 3rd down.  You have Diggs, Cole, Knox, Allens legs and Davis...all excellent Redzone weapons.  So what does Daboll do?  Call a 50/50 ball where the ball has to be thrown before even knowing if the WR will win the fade route.  You want to call that on first down, fine...but come on, everyone in the world knows 3rd and 2 you MUST call your BEST play period.  Thats NOT our best play.  

Daboll continues to make unbelievably stupid calls in the Redzone and takes points off the board for us so many times.  Granted, there was blatant PI on that play and refs screwed us...but still was a terrible call to begin with.

As far as 4th down goes, when your defense is shutting down the opponent for an entire half you ALWAYS take the 3 points and force OT.  We did NOT lose this game because we kicked a FG.  We got the ball first in OT and another missed PI cost us our drive.  

So really, it was two bad PI misses by the refs that lost us that game...however, it was DABOLLS fault for putting us in that position in the first place with such a stupid call.  The moment the fade was apparent I yelled NOOOOOO STUPID CALL before the play even completed.  

The 3rd down call was a joke. I would have had Allen roll out with the option to run/pass. I just didn't want the game to go to OT. It felt like the Bills had to win in regulation. Yes the defense played well in the 2nd half but I still didn't want to give Brady the ball in OT. Unfortunately the Bills couldn't take advantage in OT when they got the ball first. Of course it would not have come down to this if the PI was called which was so obvious.

Edited by Greg S
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

Absolutely not. You tie it up and go to overtime at that point.

But the play calling in the red zone and in overtime were horrible. Daboll needs to be better in those situations.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I hate the fade in that situation, no matter who you're throwing it to, but to throw it to a guy who's 5'10" is particularly unforgivable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The 3rd down call was a joke. I would have had Allen roll out with the option to run/pass. I just didn't want the game to go to OT. It felt like the Bills had to win in regulation. Yes the defense played well in the 2nd half but I still didn't want to give Brady the ball in OT. Unfortunately the Bills couldn't take advantage in OT when they got the ball first. Of course it would not have come down to this if the PI was called which was so obvious.

Agree all day about the 3rd down call.  But given how well our offense and defense were playing, I stand by McD taking the FG there after both Daboll and the Refs blew the 3rd down play.  We dominated both sides of the ball in the 2nd half.

Honestly, if he goes for it there on 4th and we did not score the TD, everyone would have been yelling for McD to be fired for going for it there when our O and D dominated the 2nd half.  

It was a lose lose for McD, no matter what he chose there fans were going to hate the decision if we ultimately lost, and praised the decision if we won.  But the football fundamental correct call was take the points given our dominance and momentum in the 2nd half.  I think just about any and every coach takes the 3 points there given the circumstances.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree completely. Daboll seems to hit a mental wall when we get in the red zone and during key situations.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

The third down play stunk too (though we all know there should have been a penalty).  Point is they have so many options with Allen and chose him  making a touch pass and no other options even considered.  There were 30 seconds left, plenty of time for the fg if needed.

Yes I would have gone for it.  

3 hours ago, mannc said:

I would have liked to see a higher percentage play on third down, knowing you’re going to go for it on fourth and short.     I can’t recall if we had a timeout left or not, so that could have been a limiting factor, but you’d really like to see a Josh Allen run somewhere in the mix down there. And yes, he should have gone for it on fourth and 3, but it would have taken some big balls.

Again time was not a factor.  These are things you practice.  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The defense was shredded the entire first half and yep played better, but did allow yards and it is Brady and eventually you expect it to even out. 

Any turnovers, sacks (one I think) and huge losses?  No....  They played much better, but anyone who has more trust in this defense vs. Josh Allen getting 2 yards in 2 plays (or 7 yards for a TD), please explain (of course there is the anchor Daboll to account for). 

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agree all day about the 3rd down call.  But given how well our offense and defense were playing, I stand by McD taking the FG there after both Daboll and the Refs blew the 3rd down play.  We dominated both sides of the ball in the 2nd half.

Honestly, if he goes for it there on 4th and we did not score the TD, everyone would have been yelling for McD to be fired for going for it there when our O and D dominated the 2nd half.  

It was a lose lose for McD, no matter what he chose there fans were going to hate the decision if we ultimately lost, and praised the decision if we won.  But the football fundamental correct call was take the points given our dominance and momentum in the 2nd half.  I think just about any and every coach takes the 3 points there given the circumstances.

Actually I'd question that.  On third & 2 you have minimum two plays to get the first down/td.  They took a 50/50 shot on a stupid fade, not utilizing 4-5 other weapons.

But yes you're right Daboll blew the 3rd down call......  I would however blame that on McD, because this has been an issue all year & nothing has changed & not one innovative play called when needed.

Anyone else see for instance OJ's easy TD Monday night?  Do that and then clock the ball (if didn't score) and still have 2 shots at the endzone.  There were so many options.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Some of these people would have loved John Rauch. 😁

OJ didn't want to buy into the process, he didn't want to be a complete back, and largely just wanted to rush first instead of taking a more air approach style.  Which is why so many running backs and full backs had to be the ones who compensated for OJ.  Rauch had a process and Simpson was and is just plain a terrible human being.  I'm laughing because John had the same processes and wanted the same out of his players.  You bring that up and I want to throw on my Jack Kempt jersey and I'm not kidding... screw it I will.

Edited by Thriftygamer83

Please lock this thread. Anyone calling for McD to be fired is a fool. Is McD perfect? Hell no. He has some more to work on as a head coach but he is one of the top 10 coaches in the league. Have you looked around the NFL lately? There aren't that many good head coaches. McD took over a 7-9 team that had very little young talent, was capped out and hadn't made the playoffs in 17 years. Since 2017 the Bills have made the playoffs three times, won two playoff games and developed a franchise QB. 

Even this season the team is still in a position for a playoff spot and is talented enough to "get hot" at the right time possibly. Will there possibly be a time when this team has to move on from McD? Yes, if the team continues to fall short in the playoffs and regular season there will come a point where things have to change. That point is not now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Please lock this thread. Anyone calling for McD to be fired is a fool. Is McD perfect? Hell no. He has some more to work on as a head coach but he is one of the top 10 coaches in the league. Have you looked around the NFL lately? There aren't that many good head coaches. McD took over a 7-9 team that had very little young talent, was capped out and hadn't made the playoffs in 17 years. Since 2017 the Bills have made the playoffs three times, won two playoff games and developed a franchise QB. 

Even this season the team is still in a position for a playoff spot and is talented enough to "get hot" at the right time possibly. Will there possibly be a time when this team has to move on from McD? Yes, if the team continues to fall short in the playoffs and regular season there will come a point where things have to change. That point is not now.

Well just because you said so......  By all means lock the thread.....😡

Another McD truther.....  Again I say don't fire him, but tired of people anointing him.

For instance the Bills stunk out the joint Sunday's first half & some then state he took over the Defense & turned the game around.

How about he take control from Daboll inside the 10 and then we score every time too???!!!!😜

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Well just because you said so......  By all means lock the thread.....😡

Another McD truther.....  Again I say don't fire him, but tired of people anointing him.

For instance the Bills stunk out the joint Sunday's first half & some then state he took over the Defense & turned the game around.

How about he take control from Daboll inside the 10 and then we score every time too???!!!!😜

So don't fire him, but you want to whine about him the whole time.

You strike me as the type of person that orders a meal, eats 95% of it and then proceeds to complain about it being cold.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, MrSarcasm said:

So don't fire him, but you want to whine about him the whole time.

You strike me as the type of person that orders a meal, eats 95% of it and then proceeds to complain about it being cold.

No I am making an honest assessment (and yes my opinion).  I  don't know or can't attribute all the good things to him, like some do here.  Maybe we are just so talented a team, that we cover up even more of his mistakes.

What I have seen this year though is no growth from him (in 2020 I applauded him for allowing the offense to open up and yep 300 yard passing games).  This year I've seen what appears to be McD being outcoached a # of weeks when playing teams that I think the Bills are better then.

Do you agree or disagree?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No I am making an honest assessment (and yes my opinion).  I  don't know or can't attribute all the good things to him, like some do here.  Maybe we are just so talented a team, that we cover up even more of his mistakes.

What I have seen this year though is no growth from him (in 2020 I applauded him for allowing the offense to open up and yep 300 yard passing games).  This year I've seen what appears to be McD being outcoached a # of weeks when playing teams that I think the Bills are better then.

Just curious of your credentials of assessing a HC other than drinking beer/wine/water or whatever and viewing everything in hindsight.

Easy to say when you aren't the one on the sideline trying to make decisions based on feedback by multiple assistants in seconds time.  I imagine you would be perfect in your real life job if this was the case correct?

As you said, its your opinion, but I will leave assessing a HC job to the people that know what it takes to be a HC.  Not a fan that does a normal 9-5 job and has no NFL coaching/playing/ or any NFL experience.  

Edited by CaliBills

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I disagree

Coaches are not perfect and you shouldn't expect it. Much like players, every coach has a bad series/quarter/game/year, its just a fact. By your own short-sighted view Tomlin, Carroll and even Andy Reid have been 'outcoached a # of weeks when playing teams that they are better then.'

What do you propose should happen to those 3?

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.