McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

How quickly people forget about the 17 year playoff drought where the Bills went 6/10-7/9 almost every year. The Bills average win loss record for those 17 years was 6/10. 

The Bills have made the playoffs three out of four years after not making it to the playoffs in 17 straight years! It’s obvious the roster and staff needs some tweaking in the offseason, but to suggest getting rid of the coach is absurd!

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/6/2021 at 9:09 PM, Wizard said:

There was absolutely no reason that the Bills should have lost this game! For this reason, the Pegula’s need to clean out some of the coaching leadership.

I have no words for who ridiculous and dramatic this post is...yet I am gonna try anyway...

The odds of screwing up so many times in a row in a game is probably a million to one. That comes down to poor coaching and players not executing. When players screw up and coaches can not adjust, then this means that McDermott’s coaching ceiling has already been reached. He and his staff are average despite the team’s history

You clearly forget what it was like before McD.  And what you said here is not only in accurate, its just out of touch with reality to suggest his coaching ceiling has been reached.

Great Coach gets 10-14 points in the situation below.  Good coach gets 6 to 7 points. Replaceable coach gets 0-3 points. 

2x’s in the last 6 minutes the Patriots gift wrapped two very doable red zone touchdown opportunities. And, Allen gets sacked, an idiot TE false start, a missed field goal, and passing the ball when running could have led to more manageable play calling rather than 3rd and long and 4th and 14 situations.

Shouldn't your anger be directed at Daboll?  

No adjustments…means no Confidence!

The team lost at home with the best fans, better receivers, and quarterback, unbelievable opportunities to win, and the defense knowing in advance that 95% of the team’s plays would be runs. Mac Jones may have set a record in the last 40 years with 19 pass yards! In other words, our defensive line knew what was coming and the Hoodie decided to be completely one dimensional knowing the Bills could do nothing about it!!!

First off, Bills defense gave up 1 TD...forced a punt on 6 of the Pats 9 drives...and held the Pats to 7 drives that were 5 plays or less out of 9 drives.  So where do you get this false notion "the Bills could do nothing about it" from?  We held them to 240 of total offense and 1 TD.  How is that a bad outing for the defense?  Anyone blaming the defense for this loss has no idea what they were watching or talking about, they did their job well enough for us to win that game.

Winning Culture

Yes, there was wind and stats were not going to be as big tonight. The Bills had every reason to win and own the division. It was blanking Monday Night Football. The team had this game circled all season. No amount of clapping, rah rah, or “process” makes up for fumbling the game away.

Bad coaching, players aren’t executing, and we can’t build our offense or defense with underwhelming line play, time management issues, and not getting the ball from a 30 million dollar QB not getting the ball to Diggs or a line not capable of digging in and getting 10 yards on the ground with some old-fashion tough running.

You cite the offensive line issues, which are a real problem, but you somehow lump that on McD as if he is the one coaching the OL or designing the scheme.  Our OL woes are a definite issue, and it falls on Daboll and Bobby Johnson.  Most of our execution problems stem from the OL from bad run blocking, bad pass blocking, and bad penalties.  

Ceiling has been reached..new voices

A weaker AFC, Derrick Henry going down, the Chiefs inconsistencies and Ravens, and the inability to beat playoff caliber teams, execute at key times, and the lack of consistency on the lines means this is McDermott’s ceiling.

Time for Bills to make big changes!

Again, nothing you have said here has anything to do with McDermott.  For sure, Bobby Johnson needs to be fired.  And I would fire him now actually if I was McD, send a message ASAP.  Daboll for me is on the hot seat big time...he either needs correct these issues his offense is having in the Redzone and with execution, or he needs to leave next year either for another job or just flat out replaced by McD.  

But as far as McD goes, he has done an excellent job since his arrival here, and losing a couple games we shouldn't have lost this year doesn't change that.  He is a great leader.  He has some game day things he could improve on like Challenge choices and such, no doubt, but overall, hes a great leader for this team IMO.  They have also done a great job developing our own and managing personalities too.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

On 12/7/2021 at 12:34 AM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Why send Beane packing?? He got us a franchise QB for crying out loud. I just can’t lmao 🤣 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I swear we should bring back Rex, Gailey, Williams, or maybe even Doug Marrone just remind people on here what we were like before McD and Beane got here and made us relevant again

Id still take Chan Gailey as an OC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

We were beaten by a team that is built to play in November - January bad weather rust belt games. We are built for September - October games.

Monday the patriots were the better team. They had a game plan for the weather that was forecast and executed it. Our team dropped passes, were oft penalized, fumbled away a hand off, missed a FG, and gave up a 50+ yd TD run.

Hopefully this off season they take the need for building a new offensive line seriously, we need to be able to run the ball in bad weather and to protect the Franchise QB. I find it curious that a line that played decently last year has regressed this badly. Dawkins (has an excuse) Williams, Morse, Feliciano have all been below adequate. Boettger is JAG and Ford should be considering other employment options.

Our braintrust also needs to find a mountain of a man that enjoys feasting on RBs and pushing O-Linemen all over the field to take over Star's spot on the line.

On 12/7/2021 at 4:43 AM, GunnerBill said:

No way. The Bills were the better team last night. Brieda fumbled in FG range early. Knox dropped two 3rd down conversions. Diggs dropped a touchdown. Allen took a bad sack on the penultimate drive that probably led to Bass missing the FG. Knox with an awful penalty on the final drive. 

This was an execution failure and is 100% on the players. The coaches put them in position in difficult conditions to win a football game against a good opponent. The players made critical mistakes. 

I agree but I also think the coaches made some mistakes too.  You might not agree with this but IMO...

McDermott should have went for the TD instead of the FG.  Not only did a FG there not even give us the lead but it was low percentage in that weather.  If they don't make the TD then so be it but Im putting my best players on the field in that situation.  I think its the second time he has made that mistake this year.

I also think challenging the first down was dumb.  While I don't think he made it, that call is never overturned.  Clear waste of a timeout.  He also wasted another timeout at the end of the game.

Can we also keep Moss off the damn field.  No more first and goal bang the RB for a yard loss either.  Hasn't worked most of the season. It just is not our strength.  Stop trying to force something that isn't going to happen.

McKenzie fumbled - bench for the season put Stevenson in

Stevenson fumbled and did nothing with the ball any other time - bench Stevenson put Breida in

Breida fumbled bench Breida

Stop playing games. Just freaking put our best damn players on the field.  if they fumble they fumble.  I rather have a guy out there that has a chance to break one anytime but could fumble it once then some guy that isn't going to do a damn thing.

These are all coaching errors to me.  There are more but now Im getting upset and cant think clearly lol.

For the record, I don't think McD should get fired.  At least not yet.  But I do think he needs to change his mindset.

On 12/7/2021 at 7:12 AM, HOUSE said:

You guys would shoot Santa Claus  AFTER he delivers the goodies

Well yeah if I got some big fat weirdo trying to break in my house by climbing down a chimney so that he can steal my milk and cookies you damn right.  Im shooting that weirdo and takin his *****.

McD hasn't don't enough to warrant even really thinking about letting him go.  He needs to improve in game management but that can be said about a lot of coaches in the NFL.  Since he mainly handles the defense I suppose you could blame him for the lack in D-Line performance, but even then that unit is mostly "okay".

Daboll on the other hand has had an absolutely putrid season. He's hilariously predictable and he calls some of the worst red zone calls I've ever seen.  He should go today, but I can understand if the organization waits until the end of the season

21 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

This was my thinking too. The D is getting gashed and they probably just gave up ANOTHER first down.  So he threw the red flag. Who knows, they might change it but really, it gives his D a breather and a chance to regroup.  Like a basketball time out when the other team goes on a run.   NE did NOT score a TD on that drive.

I don't buy into this theory at all.  They didn't get gashed.  They gave up 4 yards over two plays that were QB sneaks.  They have a 9 man DL rotation.  Why the ***** do they need a breather?  Give them a breather on 3rd down not 1st down if they need one.  Which they shouldn't need one.

Edited by Scott7975

25 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

McD hasn't don't enough to warrant even really thinking about letting him go.  He needs to improve in game management but that can be said about a lot of coaches in the NFL.  Since he mainly handles the defense I suppose you could blame him for the lack in D-Line performance, but even then that unit is mostly "okay".

Daboll on the other hand has had an absolutely putrid season. He's hilariously predictable and he calls some of the worst red zone calls I've ever seen.  He should go today, but I can understand if the organization waits until the end of the season

He will be forced to replace his entire staff to save his job, and he will.

He needs to be “hands off” when it comes to scheme and draft picks and bring in a quality DC and OC. The schemes can’t stay another year.

Edited by Governor
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I agree but I also think the coaches made some mistakes too.  You might not agree with this but IMO...

McDermott should have went for the TD instead of the FG.  Not only did a FG there not even give us the lead but it was low percentage in that weather.  If they don't make the TD then so be it but Im putting my best players on the field in that situation.  I think its the second time he has made that mistake this year.

I also think challenging the first down was dumb.  While I don't think he made it, that call is never overturned.  Clear waste of a timeout.  He also wasted another timeout at the end of the game.

Can we also keep Moss off the damn field.  No more first and goal bang the RB for a yard loss either.  Hasn't worked most of the season. It just is not our strength.  Stop trying to force something that isn't going to happen.

McKenzie fumbled - bench for the season put Stevenson in

Stevenson fumbled and did nothing with the ball any other time - bench Stevenson put Breida in

Breida fumbled bench Breida

Stop playing games. Just freaking put our best damn players on the field.  if they fumble they fumble.  I rather have a guy out there that has a chance to break one anytime but could fumble it once then some guy that isn't going to do a damn thing.

These are all coaching errors to me.  There are more but now Im getting upset and cant think clearly lol.

For the record, I don't think McD should get fired.  At least not yet.  But I do think he needs to change his mindset.

Disagree on the FG. I think they were right to try it. New England were never scoring again and if the Bills get the 3 there they win the game at the end. If we don't take the bad sack in that series Bass makes the kick.

Agree on the challenge although we didn't lose the game on that. Never challenge spots unless they are a stepped out of bounds before he made the line to gain challenge. The second time out was on the offensive players who just seemed to make a clock mistake. I am not even convinced the Bills didn't have a case there about the officials winding of the clock. 

I agree on McKenzie. I can only assume its something off the field at this point. Because if it is just on field stuff he should be our returner. He is clearly and I mean clearly the best guy we have for that job. That said... not keeping Roberts looks more of an error every day to me. That is on personnel.

I just don't think any of that had more than a very minor bearing on the game. 

I'm willing to drop 1% to 99% execution. The players making very poor mistakes on simple plays lost us this game. 

1 minute ago, Governor said:

He needs to be “hands off” when it comes to scheme and draft picks and bring in a quality DC and OC. The schemes can’t stay another year.

Utter tosh.

• Like (+1) 1

I applaud everything Mc Dermott said during his press conference, he has high standards & expectations for this team. He is competitive as well, which is were the frustration comes from. I like that he is pissed. Maybe the rest of the staff & players should be upset and get these players to play harder.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Disagree on the FG. I think they were right to try it. New England were never scoring again and if the Bills get the 3 there they win the game at the end. If we don't take the bad sack in that series Bass makes the kick.

Agree on the challenge although we didn't lose the game on that. Never challenge spots unless they are a stepped out of bounds before he made the line to gain challenge. The second time out was on the offensive players who just seemed to make a clock mistake. I am not even convinced the Bills didn't have a case there about the officials winding of the clock. 

I agree on McKenzie. I can only assume its something off the field at this point. Because if it is just on field stuff he should be our returner. He is clearly and I mean clearly the best guy we have for that job. That said... not keeping Roberts looks more of an error every day to me. That is on personnel.

I just don't think any of that had more than a very minor bearing on the game. 

I'm willing to drop 1% to 99% execution. The players making very poor mistakes on simple plays lost us this game. 

Utter tosh.

All good.  I won't argue that you are wrong.  Its one of those things that may be no real wrong answer.

If the Bills get 7 there they win the game right then and there.  If they don't get 7 there then it means they have to get 7 next time.  

If they get 3 there then they have to also pray to the wind gods they can get 3 again.  If they don't get 3 there then they still need the 7.  

IMO you put the best players on the field.  The best player on the team is Josh.  Also the decision to go for 3 happened after the sack so that didn't really matter.  Im talking about the decision itself.  Even the kicker said he isn't comfortable kicking in that spot before the game.

One last thing... you cant really say the Pats would never score again without hindsight.  Sure the Pats weren't really moving the ball but anything can happen.  They get close enough and kick one field goal with the wind then you still need 7.

Edited by Scott7975

3 minutes ago, Governor said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.  Poor staff should be removed from the organization.  If you're saying that Daboll is somehow going to be a scapegoat and the problem lies actually with McD then I just don't see the evidence there.

The defensive scheme is mostly fine.  We got beat up in the run, sure, but it only resulted in 14 points.  Could they have done more? Yeah, probably.  Did they do enough to put the offense in positions to win the game? Absolutely.

The team absolutely didn't execute, and they should play better, but the calls from Daboll are so bad.  We wasted so many downs trying to establish a run with uninspired, boring, runs up the middle that haven't worked a thousand times over this season.  That's on Daboll.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Unless we don’t win another game this year, he should get another year.  He’ll have to make changez to OC definitely and maybe DC. 

Agree. You can’t fire Daboll but keep the all-time loser DC. The guy who’s been absolutely shredded in every important game he’s been apart of in his coaching career.

Yikes. That’s some hot take.

Even if the Bills collapse and miss the playoffs completely, McDermott isn’t going anywhere nor should he. He’s earned more time for sure. He should realistically be at least a full season or more from even being on the hot seat.

If next year went horribly, then yes maybe he should be on the hot seat the following season. But we’re a long ways from that right now. His teams have made steady improvements every season he’s been here. They might end up taking a small step back this year (still TBD). But he’s made the playoffs all but 1 season and just got the bills to the AFCCG.

Do fans not remember what it was like before McDermott?

And I have no interest in the Pegula’s doing another head coaching search.

They lucked out with McDermott. Before him, they hired Rex freaking Ryan and when he was fired they had full intentions of keeping Doug Whaley as the GM.

I don’t exactly have a lot of faith they’d get the next hires as right as they got these 2 (McDermott and Beane). Especially looking at their track record with the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

All good.  I won't argue that you are wrong.  Its one of those things that may be no real wrong answer.  If the Bills get 7 there they win the game right then and there.  If they don't get 7 there then it means they have to get 7 next time.  If they get 3 there then they have to also pray to the wind gods they can get 3 again.  If they don't get 3 there then they still need the 7.  IMO you put the best players on the field.  The best player on the team is Josh.  Also the decision to go for 3 happened after the sack so that didn't really matter.  Im talking about the decision itself.  Even the kicker said he isn't comfortable kicking in that spot before the game. 

I agree the kick was low percentage but the sack is relevant. If it doesn't happen, Bass scores IMO. Obviously it came before but I see why it made them leary of calling another pass. Both of those last two drives were killer by pure execution errors. A needless, bad sack. Then a needless, idiotic false start. 

You can question decisions and you can question play calls. But the harsh, true reality is the players have to own that. They blew that game. A game where their coaches did a nice job putting them in position if they could just do the basics of football. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree the kick was low percentage but the sack is relevant. If it doesn't happen, Bass scores IMO. Obviously it came before but I see why it made them leary of calling another pass. Both of those last two drives were killer by pure execution errors. A needless, bad sack. Then a needless, idiotic false start. 

You can question decisions and you can question play calls. But the harsh, true reality is the players have to own that. They blew that game. A game where their coaches did a nice job putting them in position if they could just do the basics of football. 

I agree that the game was ultimately lost on execution.  Absolutely.  I still want my coach playing to win football.  Not playing to keep pace.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I agree that the game was ultimately lost on execution.  Absolutely.  I still want my coach playing to win football.  Not playing to keep pace.

I get it, but I felt at the time like they should try and kick it. I felt it gave them the best chance to win and still do.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.  Poor staff should be removed from the organization.  If you're saying that Daboll is somehow going to be a scapegoat and the problem lies actually with McD then I just don't see the evidence there.

The defensive scheme is mostly fine.  We got beat up in the run, sure, but it only resulted in 14 points.  Could they have done more? Yeah, probably.  Did they do enough to put the offense in positions to win the game? Absolutely.

The team absolutely didn't execute, and they should play better, but the calls from Daboll are so bad.  We wasted so many downs trying to establish a run with uninspired, boring, runs up the middle that haven't worked a thousand times over this season.  That's on Daboll.

Daboll is doing what he’s told. it isn’t working because our personnel sucks. Do you think that Daboll doesn’t know that we don’t have the players to run the ball? Of course he does.

Beane handed him a turd sandwich and he’s doing all he can with it.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Governor said:

Daboll is doing what he’s told. it isn’t working because our personnel sucks. Do you think that Daboll doesn’t know that we don’t have the players to run the ball? Of course he does.

Beane handed him a turd sandwich and he’s doing all he can with it.

I disagree with a lot of what you have said post Monday Night but I believe this is dead on. 

If you got Brian Daboll in a quiet room on his own I suspect he'd say he feels pressure to run more but knows the run game is not good enough. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Governor said:

Do you think that Daboll doesn’t know that we don’t have the players to run the ball? Of course he does.

I'm genuinely not sure about that, I think he really believes in our guys to figure it out.  Why else is he calling Zack Moss runs up the middle when he has no vision? Why the Devin Singletary 2nd and 10 up the gut for the 100th time even though it's worked maybe once this season?

Blame Beane all you want, and he does share some of the blame here for drafting who he drafted, but Daboll calls the plays.  It's up to him to figure out ways to be successful in both the passing and run game, and I don't see him trying different things.  He's failed pretty hard at the run and I'd argue Josh Allen has propped him up in the pas.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree with a lot of what you have said post Monday Night but I believe this is dead on. 

If you got Brian Daboll in a quiet room on his own I suspect he'd say he feels pressure to run more but knows the run game is not good enough. 

Feels pressure or is being outright told to run the ball at least 1x per set of downs by McD? When you look at when Daboll decides to run the ball it’s almost always 1st or 2nd down or after a big play, like to get it out of the way. It ultimately ends up a wasted down and now the O has 2 plays to get 10 yards vs 3. Whats the most parsimonious explanation for how an OC just forgot how to run an offense that was lit last year and has much the same personnel? 

3 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

How quickly people forget about the 17 year playoff drought where the Bills went 6/10-7/9 almost every year. The Bills average win loss record for those 17 years was 6/10. 

This is fact but it’s stated in a way that makes you think McD turned a 6-10 team to 10-6 just by coaching. The personnel has changed and improved a lot compared to what Whaley gave them (something like <5 drafted players still on team after a decade). He’s not coaching the same or even the same caliber of players. He has Josh “friggin” Allen, not EJ Manuel or Tyrod Taylor. Josh on those crappy teams buys you 4 more wins alone, with no input from McD. This miraculous turnaround fantasy only makes sense in a vacuum.

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Diggs comes down with that pass in the EZ and NE is trying to keep pace with us.  I agree the players blew this one, not the coaches.

2 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

I agree with every word of this take... highlighted by the mention:

” Josh Allen played his College Football in WYOMING!”

This is fantastic. Best analysis i have seen. So right about knox not coming back for the ball.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This is what I referenced here yesterday (God knows which thread it was in)...they were talking about this sort of thing all afternoon on GR-55.  

Like we get the ball down in the red zone and need to score a TD.  The first play is run into the line for no gain.  Is that play called b/c Daboll thought it was a good idea?  Or because he is being TOLD to call that play?  Perhaps he has been pressured to give the running game more attention...

I just don't think Daboll does that on his own, especially toward the end of the NE game based on how it was going.

Daboll is the gambler of the team and I think he'd call Josh-Keeper-Sweeps or passes into the end zone.

This story line isn't really being discussed that much, but maybe it will gain some traction.

I would hate to find out we are kind of shooting ourselves in the foot...it's hard enough to score in this league as it is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This is what I referenced here yesterday (God knows which thread it was in)...they were talking about this sort of thing all afternoon on GR-55.  

Like we get the ball down in the red zone and need to score a TD.  The first play is run into the line for no gain.  Is that play called b/c Daboll thought it was a good idea?  Or because he is being TOLD to call that play?  Perhaps he has been pressured to give the running game more attention...

I just don't think Daboll does that on his own, especially toward the end of the NE game based on how it was going.

Daboll is the gambler of the team and I think he'd call Josh-Keeper-Sweeps or passes into the end zone.

This story line isn't really being discussed that much, but maybe it will gain some traction.

I would hate to find out we are kind of shooting ourselves in the foot...it's hard enough to score in this league as it is.

He has the ideal call on fourth down. Two receivers running crossing routes right over an EMPTY middle of the field. The QB completely missing the throw. That’s not on Daboll. (And I’m not a Daboll fan.)

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

He has the ideal call on fourth down. Two receivers running crossing routes right over an EMPTY middle of the field. The QB completely missing the throw. That’s not on Daboll. (And I’m not a Daboll fan.)

Yeah, I'm talking about the attempt to run the ball all night long, to no avail.

Not a red zone passing play that didn't work.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah, I'm talking about the attempt to run the ball all night long, to no avail.

Not a red zone passing play that didn't work.

No argument there. Josh makes that throw and the Patriots look like fools for their game plan. But we all know what happened. Josh needs to calm down and finish these games! Plain and simple. It’s what separates the top QBs from the rest. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.