McDermott Era Should End!

Wizard

I've said all along the guy is a fraud and Bills mafia owes him (and Beane) nothing.

Obviously he's not likely going anywhere after this season unless it's his choice but the seat will be extremely hot in 2022 which might be a good thing knowing big time changes will be needed on this roster and assistant coaching staff this offseason.

41 minutes ago, SactoBillFan said:

Knee jerk reaction. Stability has turned the team around. Do need to work on the run game and oline.

Correction…Josh Allen has turned the team around.  Without him, they are the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Are you?

You think that 9-7 season, where they lucked into the playoffs and scored 3 points in their playoff game vs Jacksonville, signaled the turnaround?  They went 6-10 the next year and did not actually turn things around until Josh’s sophomore season. Without Josh Allen, this is a flat-out bad football team.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

You think that 9-7 season, where they lucked into the playoffs and scored 3 points in their playoff game vs Jacksonville, signaled the turnaround?  They went 6-10 the next year and did not actually turn things around until Josh’s sophomore season. Without Josh Allen, this is a flat-out bad football team.

Yeah I do, after jettisoning some of the better talent on the team and everyone thinking they were going to tank.  And they went 6-10 the next year because they had $70M in dead cap. 

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone looks bad against Belichick.

That said - MAN, do I wish he hadn't mentioned BB in the post-game.  C'mon, man.  It reminded me of the Rex Ryan days.

It's okay to be obsessed w/ BB. But don't talk about your obsession w/ BB. It's like fight club.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I  already regret replying to this topic   But who exactly do you propose to replace McD?   

It took 20 years for the Bills to find a good coach.    They went 0-7 in coaching hires between Marv and McD, including 2 Head Coaches who quit on them. What other NFL team has had even 1 coach quit?

Wizard - if you like, you can start scouring for NFL retreads or unproven college coaches.    I'll stick with McDermott and enjoy the Bills as a playoff contender year and year out.   And eventually celebrate when they make a championship run. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Wizard said:

There was absolutely no reason that the Bills should have lost this game! For this reason, the Pegula’s need to clean out some of the coaching leadership.

The odds of screwing up so many times in a row in a game is probably a million to one. That comes down to poor coaching and players not executing. When players screw up and coaches can not adjust, then this means that McDermott’s coaching ceiling has already been reached. He and his staff are average despite the team’s history

Great Coach gets 10-14 points in the situation below.  Good coach gets 6 to 7 points. Replaceable coach gets 0-3 points. 

2x’s in the last 6 minutes the Patriots gift wrapped two very doable red zone touchdown opportunities. And, Allen gets sacked, an idiot TE false start, a missed field goal, and passing the ball when running could have led to more manageable play calling rather than 3rd and long and 4th and 14 situations.

No adjustments…means no Confidence!

The team lost at home with the best fans, better receivers, and quarterback, unbelievable opportunities to win, and the defense knowing in advance that 95% of the team’s plays would be runs. Mac Jones may have set a record in the last 40 years with 19 pass yards! In other words, our defensive line knew what was coming and the Hoodie decided to be completely one dimensional knowing the Bills could do nothing about it!!!

Winning Culture

Yes, there was wind and stats were not going to be as big tonight. The Bills had every reason to win and own the division. It was blanking Monday Night Football. The team had this game circled all season. No amount of clapping, rah rah, or “process” makes up for fumbling the game away.

Bad coaching, players aren’t executing, and we can’t build our offense or defense with underwhelming line play, time management issues, and not getting the ball from a 30 million dollar QB not getting the ball to Diggs or a line not capable of digging in and getting 10 yards on the ground with some old-fashion tough running.

Ceiling has been reached..new voices

A weaker AFC, Derrick Henry going down, the Chiefs inconsistencies and Ravens, and the inability to beat playoff caliber teams, execute at key times, and the lack of consistency on the lines means this is McDermott’s ceiling.

Time for Bills to make big changes!

In the words of the great Vinny Gallo/Callo 

"Uh, everything that guy just said is bullshiit. Thank you".

WOW!!!

17 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

I  already regret replying to this topic   But who exactly do you propose to replace McD?   

It took 20 years for the Bills to find a good coach.    They went 0-7 in coaching hires between Marv and McD, including 2 Head Coaches who quit on them. What other NFL team has had even 1 coach quit?

Wizard - if you like, you can start scouring for NFL retreads or unproven college coaches.    I'll stick with McDermott and enjoy the Bills as a playoff contender year and year out.   And eventually celebrate when they make a championship run. 

Don't compare McDermott to past Bills coaches over the last 20 years.  That doesn't mean anything, other than how broken this franchise was.  

Compare him to the best coaches the league has seen over the last 20 years, that's the true reference point.

Is he terrible?  No.  Is he great?  No.  Can he beat the best when the most is on the line?  Probably not! 

Can he be replaced with a new regime that is just as good and even better?  Who knows!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He challenged to essentially take a timeout without taking the timeout to give them a breather.  Yeah odds were low that play would be overturned, but you never know. I can't fault him there, gonna waste a timeout anyway, why not try to get a better spot.

This was my thinking too. The D is getting gashed and they probably just gave up ANOTHER first down.  So he threw the red flag. Who knows, they might change it but really, it gives his D a breather and a chance to regroup.  Like a basketball time out when the other team goes on a run.   NE did NOT score a TD on that drive.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Don't compare McDermott to past Bills coaches over the last 20 years.  That doesn't mean anything, other than how broken this franchise was.  

Compare him to the best coaches the league has seen over the last 20 years, that's the true reference point.

OK.  Comparing him to the other current coaches in the NFL, I believe he’s a top 10 coach.  

My point in the comparison to the previous 20 years is that the odds of finding a top tier replacement for McD are not good. Personally I don’t have confidence that the Pegulas would be successful in upgrading the HC. 

The Bills are in a good place for the next several years.  Similar to what the Steelers and Ravens have been over the last 15 and 10 years respectively.  Consistent playoff contenders who in their best years have a legit chance to win the SB.  I think with Allen and McDermott the Bills will be in the SB at least once in the next 5 years

Firing their Head Coach would be monumentally stupid.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Is he terrible?  No.  Is he great?  No.  Can he beat the best when the most is on the line?  Probably not! 

Can he be replaced with a new regime that is just as good and even better?  Who knows!

Okay, compare him to Andy Reid, who won a SuperBowl (with his second team) after being a head coach for more than 20 years? Or Cowher (who did it in his 13th season?) Or Dungy (who won it in his 12th season, and on his second team)? Or Arians (who won it in his 9th season, on his second team)?  Plenty of people questioned/doubted whether they could beat the best when the most was on the line...until they did it.  McDermott is in year 5.  If we compare him to these guys, he's ahead of the curve.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Billyhouseman said:

I really want Frank Reich to coach this team if things go sour for him in Indianapolis

He has a great Defense

He has a quarterback that he brought along at a former successful place

He has the best running back in the league

Why in the ***** would he leave where he is at

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I don’t want to find out

So I definitely could’ve missed it somewhere (didn’t see this thread until it was already 6 pages deep) but had the OP suggested who the replacement should be? Do you have a solution to the problem or are you just whining? If you’re gonna come with that much emotion, you better also have a succession plan and can you guarantee they will be better? 

11 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

Pederson? 

for the record I’m hoping McDermott can get back to last year’s offense somehow. If they simply improve red zone play calling they could be there.

Otherwise, he may try to build a running team this offseason. If he tries that I hope he’s gone sooner than later. 

23 hours ago, mannc said:

Correction…Josh Allen has turned the team around.  Without him, they are the Jets.

Disagree, Josh Allen helps a lot along with a formidable defense. But stability from ownership to the front office to the coaches is how to keep a successful franchise. Firing the head coach every couple of years doesn't appear to be a good formula. We've been there and done that. Just my opinion...

Edited by SactoBillFan
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Has he tendered his resignation yet? ;) 

Come On Man....he was just extended lets get real.

One thing Terry Pegula has demonstrated multiple times is that contract extensions mean nothing to him.

He's more than happy (historically) to buy out Ks when he decides he's done with someone, even if they just recently re-signed.

Darcy Regier was the first and there have been several since.

8 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

So I definitely could’ve missed it somewhere (didn’t see this thread until it was already 6 pages deep) but had the OP suggested who the replacement should be? Do you have a solution to the problem or are you just whining? If you’re gonna come with that much emotion, you better also have a succession plan and can you guarantee they will be better? 

Of course not.

McD helped build the best Bills team in 20 years. That fact alone makes this thread ridiculous. 

I did, however, cringe at his sour grapes quotes about BB getting too much credit. The fact is we lost this game in part due to coaching. We were conservative to a fault in the first half and maybe that's on Daboll more than McD but I didn't see BB hurting his team with coaching errors. 

12 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I answered Ya Diggs question. I didn't suggest it's the Wizard's job. Did I ?

Yes, you did, by writing "Of course not." 

There's a lot of tone and intention in those words.

It's called "language" and why often things are lost in translation, because nuance, intention, tone do not make it from language A to B.

Honestly though, I don't give a rat's ass about this!  Sorry to make the comment.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Yes, you did, by writing "Of course not." 

There's a lot of tone and intention in those words.

It's called "language" and why often things are lost in translation, because nuance, intention, tone do not make it from language A to B.

Honestly though, I don't give a rat's ass about this!  Sorry to make the comment.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion when all I did was answer Ya Diggs question regarding whether the OP had a plan. He didn't, so I answered " Of course not'. How that means I feel it's his job... you're reaching.  

Glad you're done with this. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.