Wyatt Teller-the one that got away

Dablitzkrieg

One overlooked item here and elsewhere is the role of our offensive line coach. First off, even with several years together, this line has regressed. But to the Wyatt point, it’s important to remember that these moves are not made in a vacuum. The position coach has considerable input when it comes to player evaluation. He is the guy working with and evaluating these guys everyday. So apparently our O line coach’s evaluation of Teller was way off the mark. Way off. A one time mistake? Don’t think so. This same coach had mini camps, training camp & preseason to evaluation our O lineman. His genius evaluation was that Cody Ford should be a starter. That didn’t last long, and calls into question this guys ability to evaluate and develop O lineman. Which is a big part of his job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

“Guards are easy to find”

”you don’t pay guards”

”don’t draft guards in high rounds”

some  TBD nonsense 

Maybe we should draft a guard in the 5th and hope he develops..... who would be a good example of that I wonder?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

”you don’t pay guards”

some  TBD nonsense 

I don’t care if it is Beane, McD, the OL coach, Daboll, blocking schemes, etc…

How about, all of the above.  Fix it, or they are going nowhere.  They were mediocre last year, and in an offseason where the interior OL was not addressed, they are worse this year. 

Ooooh…let’s bring back Mongo. He has a cool nickname and is a rah rah guy on the field

Edited by BTB
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

”you don’t pay guards”

some  TBD nonsense 

Exactly.  I was told that numerous times last year when I said we could take a guard in the first or second round if there is a sure starter there.  I can see us taking Rousseau at 1, but not another DE at 2.  

Athletic guards that are strong at pass blocking and run blocking are not easy to find.  

Beane, the draft & trade “magician”. Buffalo struggles at guard and builds from their own from the draft. Buffalo has an almost non existent rushing offense beyond JA. Meanwhile:

“Acquired from Buffalo before the 2019 season, Teller took over as a starter at right guard midway through the year. Then last season, Pro Football Focus gave Teller its highest grade among offensive linemen. Thanks in part to Teller's emergence, Cleveland ranked third in the league in 2020 in rushing yards.

In two years as Cleveland's general manager, Andrew Berry has invested heavily in the Browns offensive line. Last offseason, he signed All-Pro right tackle Jack Conklin to a three-year deal worth $42 million, including $30 million guaranteed. Berry also spent the 10th overall pick in the 2020 draft on Alabama's Jedrick Wills Jr., who immediately won the starting job at left tackle.

After struggling throughout the 2019 season, the Browns offensive line has been among the league's most dominant units. Teller has been a major reason for the turnaround.” - ESPN

Teller was in a numbers game here, we already thought we had a starter in Spain, toss in Ford was thought to be a better prospect. It happens, yet with that contract he might not have been here long term to begin with. Am I upset we lost him? Sure yet feel the extra draft capital we got from moving him helped us get Diggs so it's a toss up. 

• Like (+1) 1

Colossal failure of internal scouting and player evaluation.  

So far - and it's not even over - Beane's continued mis-evaluation of Cody Ford has cost the team Wyatt Teller, DK Metcalf (who could've been drafted instead of Ford) or Dalton Risner (same), and Jack Anderson who was poached by the Eagles off our PS a few weeks ago.

Disgraceful.  All GMs make mistakes but this is a really, really big one.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Kind of tells me we have a decent scouting team, maybe not so much on the evaluation team or coaching staff. Seems like whoever is chosing the players is rating experience higher than potential and talent. Takes less work to coach someone with experience (laziness). I think McDermott puts too much trust in his staff and allows each to make their own decisions.  He needs to take control. Just my opinion though.

2 hours ago, BTB said:

At this point, I will settle for a guard who is good at either or. 

FWIW I thought this kid would have been good for us:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/3-things-to-know-about-guard-jack-anderson

But:

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/roster-moves-eagles-agree-to-sign-jack-anderson-off-the-bills-practice-squad

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Has anyone in the local media had the balls to call Beane out about Teller during one of the weekly press conferences?

It's simply inexcusable that we gave this guy away and probably would have released him outright if not for the trade with the Browns.

Sal Capaccio or Chris Brown will probably raise it…

Funny thing about Teller is if he didn’t have any trade value in the first place then they may have kept him and let go of Boettger instead ( who definitely didn’t have any)

45 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

So far - and it's not even over - Beane's continued mis-evaluation of Cody Ford has cost the team Wyatt Teller, DK Metcalf (who could've been drafted instead of Ford) or Dalton Risner (same), and Jack Anderson who was poached by the Eagles off our PS a few weeks ago.

Something has to give when the HC is hell bent on having an 8-9 man DL rotation that, in 2021, is costing them 44M and second highest in the NFL. Overall, the Bills are 12th in offensive spending versus 1st in defense.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/defense/

Josh's contract hits in 2023 and there's no way I can see them spending on defense and trying to maintain a top unit that surrounds Josh with the right protection and weapons.  

The cap goes up, sure, but at some point having a top paid QB and trying to maintain that defense is not possible.  We're seeing that with the OL depth/starters.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Has anyone in the local media had the balls to call Beane out about Teller during one of the weekly press conferences?

It's simply inexcusable that we gave this guy away and probably would have released him outright if not for the trade with the Browns.

It was 3 seasons ago.  Only a jerk of a reporter would ask a GM about a player he traded in 2019.  While you're at it do you want someone to ask Beane why Ray-Ray is Pittsburgh's #1 return man & caught a key pass in their game winning drive last night? 

Might as well go to Vegas & ask Mayock how he could possibly draft 2 #1 picks & cut them after less than 2 full years?  At least that question would be relevant.   

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Exactly.  I was told that numerous times last year when I said we could take a guard in the first or second round if there is a sure starter there.  I can see us taking Rousseau at 1, but not another DE at 2.  

Athletic guards that are strong at pass blocking and run blocking are not easy to find.  

Ali Marpet for example who went to college 100 miles from the OP.  Meanwhile our #2 pick is inactive most weeks.

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think you also have to remember where we were at the time.  Beane was trying to put together a competent line in a hurry and had signed a bunch of journeymen or backup linemen (Long, Nsehke, Felliciano, etc.) who were not great...but hoped enough of them were solid and experienced enough to keep their young QB from getting killed.  The plan seemed to be to sign like a dozen veteran lineman in the hopes that enough worked out to keep Josh safe.  The book on Teller at the time was good in the run game but could get over aggressive and off balance at times.  So he was a boom or bust blocker, which did not fit with the strategy.  While I think most could see that, like Josh, he had great upside that if he could become consistent he could be great, we could not afford those mistakes and we didn't have room to develop him (with the ton of veterans we had  brought in).

3 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Wow. Really happy for Teller. Wonderful success story. The scuttlebut in Cleveland was that with Chubb’s deal and their corner and Baker coming up he was headed to FA. He said he was fine with that and had some nice things to say about Blo. Was hoping that Beane was listening. Oh well.

I went to two Va Tech games in 2016.  Sat down near the field.  Didn't know much about their players.  But certainly noticed the way Teller played.  And he was also the leader of their O line which was a pretty solid line back then.  Was pretty psyched when we drafted him.  Not sure why we let him go.  He wasn't great at first.  But he certainly was solid for a rookie back in I believe 2018.  Him and Spencer Brown manning the rt side of the line sure would look good right about now.  

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I went to two Va Tech games in 2016.  Sat down near the field.  Didn't know much about their players.  But certainly noticed the way Teller played.  And he was also the leader of their O line which was a pretty solid line back then.  Was pretty psyched when we drafted him.  Not sure why we let him go.  He wasn't great at first.  But he certainly was solid for a rookie back in I believe 2018.  Him and Spencer Brown manning the rt side of the line sure would look good right about now.  

I sort of hate to say it because everything makes perfect sense with retrospective analysis and it’s not necessarily fair to the guys calling the shots but Ford and Risner were very close together in the pre-draft evaluations. Some had Ford 3 and Risner 4 and some reversed that order. Thing is Risner had three years of solid production at tackle at Kansas and Ford only one at Ok. To me Ford sort of looked like a big clumsy guy in his bowl game and I was not surprised that he wound up not having the foot speed and slide to deal with nfl calibre edge rushers. Risner made the rookie team as a guard his first year. He is good. He went to Denver right after we took Ford. Again not bellyaching, just saying that the stars did not align for us. With Teller, Brown and Risner we would have had the makings of a really good line for the next 10-12 years. As you prolly know Teller can play either guard position.

Edited by starrymessenger

4 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Exaclty. Quenton Nelson is on a HOF trajectory.  Great players no matter the position help your team. Nothing wrong with getting a guard early. 

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

"Disgraceful" is strong.  I doubt there is a GM in the league that doesn't have a list of stories like this - players they let go, who excel eventually.  It's more part of the job.

If it becomes a pattern, it's alarming, but no GM bats 1,000 on personnel decision. Beane has made more lemonade from perceived lemons than the other way around.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I hear you and can understand your frustration and it may be true that they might have stuck with him too long but based on general consensus pre-draft evaluations taking Ford where they did was probably not a dumb thing to do, not by any means. Everybody seemed to love him. I thought he was clumsy but all the experts insisted that for a guy his size his feet were very nimble and agile, plus he was a mauler. I don’t understand what the hell has happened to him or how he could have turned out so bad. I have to wonder if it’s not all in his head somehow. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.