Theory about the Chief's Downturn Root Cause

jethro_tull

Three days before Super Bowl LV (February 4th, 2021) Britt Reid, the linebacker's coach and son of head coach Andy Reid was involved in a multi car accident that resulted in serious brain injuries for a child, 5-year old Ariel Young in her family's car that was basically obliterated by the force of the crash.  (Currently Ariel is recovering at home but still requires a feeding tube and cannot walk, talk, remember or function near a normal level).  

Reid was charged after investigation and his BAC was tested to be .113, above the legal limit of .08.   

Reid did not travel to the Super Bowl with the team and the impact of that incident must have strongly permeated the thoughts and mood of the entire team.  The broadcast team tried their best to whitewash the incident by not mentioning anything about it until later in the game when Jim Nance called for best wishes for young Ariel.  But the stench was in the air and the team grossly underperformed then and most every game since. 

Sure accidents happen but this one seemed to cast a doom and gloom cloud over this team and in my opinion justifiably so.  Possibly the way things were handled by the team management and league may have made a lasting poor impression.  Football above all no matter what.  I challenge whether the game should have been played. 

Such an emotional sport, no wonder the team seems to lack the required motivation to excel this season.

Reid's trial was recently set for April, 2022.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Three days before Super Bowl LV (February 4th, 2021) Britt Reid, the linebacker's coach and son of head coach Andy Reid was involved in a multi car accident that resulted in serious brain injuries for a child, 5-year old Ariel Young in her family's car that was basically obliterated by the force of the crash.  (Currently Ariel is recovering at home but still requires a feeding tube and cannot walk, talk, remember or function near a normal level).  

Reid was charged after investigation and his BAC was tested to be .113, above the legal limit of .08.   

Reid did not travel to the Super Bowl with the team and the impact of that incident must have strongly permeated the thoughts and mood of the entire team.  The broadcast team tried their best to whitewash the incident by not mentioning anything about it until later in the game when Jim Nance called for best wishes for young Ariel.  But the stench was in the air and the team grossly underperformed then and most every game since. 

Sure accidents happen but this one seemed to cast a doom and gloom cloud over this team and in my opinion justifiably so.  Possibly the way things were handled by the team management and league may have made a lasting poor impression.  Football above all no matter what.  I challenge whether the game should have been played. 

Such an emotional sport, no wonder the team seems to lack the required motivation to excel this season.

Lots to think about with what you’ve said, but I’ve definitely wondered if that situation has been a distraction at least to some extent.

• Like (+1) 1

They also really aren't getting alot of help from any other players outside of Mahomes, Kelce, and Tyreek.    That was always part of the mix---they had players that (when their number was called) made the play.    Whether it be the defense, RB or other WR's, those players have flat out been terrible.    

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Turf Toejam 34 said:

They also really aren't getting alot of help from any other players outside of Mahomes, Kelce, and Tyreek.    That was always part of the mix---they had players that (when their number was called) made the play.    Whether it be the defense, RB or other WR's, those players have flat out been terrible.    

But why? You saying Sammy Watkins was a huge loss?

OL has been bad, I assume. Even though @Zerovoltzsaid it was gonna be fine in the preseason. I haven't watched the Chiefs one enough to have a valid opinion.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Mahomes has a baby this season, isn't getting enough sleep. 

Honestly this is huge. Being a new father myself I can all but guarantee Mahomes cares far less about football. Kids are amazing and if you are at minimum a decent parent everything else will become secondary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Maybe it has affected Andy Reid some. The players have seemed to act pretty normally since that incident. I don't see the doom and gloom that you are characterizing.

They have had problems with their defense for awhile now. In previous years they got their defense more on track as the season progressed and the offense overcame their defensive problems.

But their offense has been performing for a long time now. Defenses have faced them many times and have more blueprints on how to limit them. Their stars are getting older every year and they haven't drafted well to bring in new elements and weapons to the offense or to help their struggling defense.

In short, I think the incident you mentioned has little or nothing to do with their struggles this year, or the Superbowl last year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Reid's kids have been out of control since early in his Philly days. Two of his sons, Garrett and Britt, both had troubled pasts. In 2007, both were arrested for drug, and illegal weapon related crimes in Philly. At the sentencing hearing, the judge referred to the Reid household as an “Out of control drug emporium.” A search of their home uncovered a plethora of prescription and illegal elicit drugs. Philly sports writers at the time thought Reid should take time off and tend to his family. He didn't miss one game or practice. Later Reid made son Britt a coach on the Chiefs who had no previous coaching experience at ANY level. This obvious nepotism didn't make Britt a responsible citizen. Reid might be a good coach, but he's a lousy father.       

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

Paragraphs are your friends.

2 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

I think if you look at the upbringing of a good deal of the players on an NFL team you are going to find people who have gone thru a lot of tragedy and overcame a lot to get where they are so if it seemed to roll off of their backs.........it probably did.

The Chiefs are a team that has played A LOT of football over the prior 3 seasons............they earned home field 3 straight times............that is very difficult and takes a toll.    Even the 4X AFC Champ Bills of the 90's didn't earn home field advantage 3x in a row.  

I think we as Bills fans are a little jaded because Belichick won the AFC East almost every time for two decades but he ran a cut throat operation personnel wise,  turning his roster over more than anyone and wouldn't suffer let downs.    The Chiefs........like basically every other good team in the NFL for decades..........are more player driven so a down regular season was not out of the realm of expectation. 

11 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

Reid's kids have been out of control since early in his Philly days. Two of his sons, Garrett and Britt, both had troubled pasts. In 2007, both were arrested for drug, and illegal weapon related crimes in Philly. At the sentencing hearing, the judge referred to the Reid household as an “Out of control drug emporium.” A search of their home uncovered a plethora of prescription and illegal elicit drugs. Philly sports writers at the time thought Reid should take time off and tend to his family. He didn't miss one game or practice. Later Reid made son Britt a coach on the Chiefs who had no previous coaching experience at ANY level. This obvious nepotism didn't make Britt a responsible citizen. Reid might be a good coach, but he's a lousy father.       

Yes and one son, Garrett, died of a heroin overdose. I'd bet they had everything they wanted, huge house and money and zero oversight. He was probably never there and you never hear anything about his wife. He is married to football and is probably at the stadium 18 hours a day. How Britt was a  coach makes zero sense. Reid probably thought it was the only way he could be close to him and have him around.

• Agree 1

Teams have caught up to the Chiefs.  They are also running the same offense they have been for years.  Defense learned how to take that offense away and KC is not adjusting. Kelce also doesn't seem like Kelce this year.  He has bailed out Mahomes on a lot of hero balls over the last few years and he hasn't been this year.  I don't think Mahomes has any injury.  He is playing the same.  I also don't think the tragedy of the accident is effecting their play.  Might be effecting Reid some but I doubt its effecting the players all that much at this point.

4 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Lots to think about with what you’ve said, but I’ve definitely wondered if that situation has been a distraction at least to some extent.

Perhaps a culmination of things? This is not the first time Reid has had problems with his boys (2 of them). Drug abuse/addiction, accident under the influence, drug dealing, and pulling a gun on someone, to name a few. It is not my place to judge anyone, but family problems can eventually wear on someone and cause lots of conflict. I think many people would have chose to walk away from coaching and get their house in order, Andy did not, for whatever reason.

Possibly , as it appears, good defenses have a blue print to beating the Chiefs; Keep Mahomes contained, get pressure so he can only work short to medium routes and go with a cover 2 approach not giving them the top.

Finally, the Chiefs defense is just not good enough so the Chiefs have to score 30 plus a game.  

5 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

So you think Mahomes is throwing picks because of Bret Reid?  Seriously?  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, jethro_tull said:

Teams are playing them with a light box and two deep safeties with DEs containing outside. Just like we did and just like they’re all doing it us. It’s the new formula to stop vertical offenses with a mobile QB. 

Their offense is struggling because they haven’t changed their playcalling in 4 years.  It’s still this gimmick or long ball play that teams have figured out.

You saw it against the Bills on their first TD. They ran that little option where PM flips it inside to someone and the Bills were ready for it. They scored anyway on a hell of a catch, but they need to adjust and PM has to figure out how to play patient or they will continue to struggle 

This is also a factor into why Eric Bienemy isn’t getting hired. They haven’t evolved in 4 years! You think they can run this offense with an average QB? No chance 

4 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Always make your baby sleep in a soundproofed room

My son slept for 11 hours last night! Best nights sleep since he was born!

10 hours ago, SF Bills Fan said:

Yes and one son, Garrett, died of a heroin overdose. I'd bet they had everything they wanted, huge house and money and zero oversight. He was probably never there and you never hear anything about his wife. He is married to football and is probably at the stadium 18 hours a day. How Britt was a  coach makes zero sense. Reid probably thought it was the only way he could be close to him and have him around.

They are 4-4 and I fully expect them to make the playoffs and be a very tough out.  Not surprised if either Jackson or Beckham signs there this coming week and that should give them a boost.  People need to stop talking about them like they still don't have one of the best QB'S in the NFL.

I just hope we don't face them in round one,  they are the only team in the East that scares me

Just now, Niagara Dude said:

They are 4-4 and I fully expect them to make the playoffs and be a very tough out.  Not surprised if either Jackson or Beckham signs there this coming week and that should give them a boost.  People need to stop talking about them like they still don't have one of the best QB'S in the NFL.

I just hope we don't face them in round one,  they are the only team in the East that scares me. No different than when the Bills wild card team went to the SUPER BOWL .  They have more elite talent at key positions than the Bills 

11 hours ago, cDAVIS said:

Honestly this is huge. Being a new father myself I can all but guarantee Mahomes cares far less about football. Kids are amazing and if you are at minimum a decent parent everything else will become secondary.

Unlike that psychopath Tom Brady

It's really quite simple actually.

Mahomes is gifted enough and was extremely lucky to get away with throws and plays they coach you not to make in the pros because they are turn over prone.

He hasn't been as lucky this year and those plays have resulted in turnovers.

Throwing across your body, heaving up miracles, passing with your other hand, are not good ideas for those reasons.

Edited by Sharky7337

Is this for real??

Someone thinks any player on that team is messed up because last year an assistant coach hit a girl while drunk?  And that "the way it was handled" has to this da affected the team to put them into a tailspin?

LOL.  come on.  These guy don't care about another one of Reid's addict sons.  If you really listed 100 legit reasons for their current state, this wouldn't be one.

I guess the next thread will say the Raiders are essentially done as a franchise......

Aqualung, my friend......stop.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

But why? You saying Sammy Watkins was a huge loss?

OL has been bad, I assume. Even though @Zerovoltzsaid it was gonna be fine in the preseason. I haven't watched the Chiefs one enough to have a valid opinion.

As surprising as it sounds, I do think losing Watkins has hurt the Chiefs offense more than people realize. Joe Marino has talked a bit about this on the Locked On Bills podcast as well. It's not the main factor (Mahomes' decision making has regressed IMO) and he probably didn't live up to the big contract the Chiefs originally gave him, but Watkins was a more reliable #3 option in the passing game than anyone they have now. Basically, defenses can focus all of their resources on stopping Hill and Kelce because their remaining WRs haven't reached their potential (Hardman) or are simply replacement level players (Robinson, Pringle) in my view. 

When KC had Watkins, he could make a defense pay a few times a game because opposing defenses would put their second or third-best cornerback on him and he could beat them in single coverage. The Chiefs don't seem to have anyone that can do that now and draw attention away from Hill and Kelce. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.