Zach Wilson, we hardly knew ye?

YoloinOhio

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Zach Wilson, we hardly knew ye?

Is Zac fast enough to run up to the booth to talk to LaFleur between plays?

What's interesting is how much better the Jets offense looked without Wilson. All the Jets fans were saying the offense is talentless, hence Wilson's struggles.

Exact same thing Dolphins are saying about Tua

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Only the jets

Btw i love the jets black uniform, we need a black and blue uniform

15 minutes ago, Process said:

And just like that Zack Wilson is ruined. The guys career was over the second he got picked by the Jets. 

Their coach is an idiot.

I thought that on draft night, this guy is done already. I thought that about Joe Burrow too, so who knows

• Haha (+1) 1

Back when we needed a QB I was a big fan of taking a gamble on Mike White. Admittedly I hadn’t watched more than game highlights and his Senior Bowl performance, but I thought he looked the part and was surprised he lasted until the 5th round. Had forgotten all about him, thought he was still buried on the Cowpokes roster.

This happens every so often with backup QBs or QBs who don’t have a whole lot of snaps in regular season. Teams get a measure of luck there in that they have a player with no film out there which makes it a little tougher for defenses to figure out. After a game or two, opponents will recognize tendencies and that QB falls back to Earth. Cooper Rush played pretty well for Dallas last night. Kind of the same with the success Taylor Heinicke had in the playoff game last year and now this season he’s taking his lumps. 

White played well but I also gotta wonder if they caught the Bengals sleeping on them a little. I don’t think he’ll do that again, though. And Saleh is in over his head as a head coach. Your front office goes all in on a highly drafted QB, you don’t turn around and say, hey my backup with one lucky start might just be the guy! Gotta learn that everything he says sends some type of message to his team. 

Either way, I’m all for any decision that helps the Jets remain an eternal dumpster fire. 

Edited by blacklabel

19 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

It's a fairly banal answer after a rookie puts up an impressive performance. I do suspect that White will regress.

It seems not uncommon that a smart backup with "enough" talent can step in and play well for some time - Gardner Minshew, Kyle Allen, Taylor Heineke - then the league gets film on them and the better DCs figure out how to confuse and attack them, and they "regress"

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It seems not uncommon that a smart backup with "enough" talent can step in and play well for some time - Gardner Minshew, Kyle Allen, Taylor Heineke - then the league gets film on them and the better DCs figure out how to confuse and attack them, and they "regress"

Exactly. 
Having agreed in principle,

I still have to say that if I’m the Jets I’m more than intrigued or pleasantly surprised. He was so good (not just kinda good) and against a previously solid defense that I’m gonna go with the “let’s make sure Wilson is 100%” line just to give him 2 or 3 more starts. Seat of the pants Analysis:

- 60% chance he’s just a guy after all

- 30% chance he’s more than that, and  that you may have found, say, the next Kirk Cousins - a guy who can really play and who may develop into a big money Qb in a couple years. 

- 10% chance you’ve just stumbled upon a true franchise QB. 

The Colts have film to watch.

He will be either Kurt Warner or Duck Hodges. 

Bengals and Vikings defensive staffs failed their teams yesterday. Absolutely zero adaption to changing circumstances on the field. Zero.

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I like the Bills defense against a backup, but it's not that often you see someone toss for 400 yards.

The problem I have with the Jets is their defensive front. They've been mauling guys lately, including Tannehill and Burrow. And we know how our offensive line does against strong defensive fronts...

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

This happens every so often with backup QBs or QBs who don’t have a whole lot of snaps in regular season. Teams get a measure of luck there in that they have a player with no film out there which makes it a little tougher for defenses to figure out. After a game or two, opponents will recognize tendencies and that QB falls back to Earth. Cooper Rush played pretty well for Dallas last night. Kind of the same with the success Taylor Heinicke had in the playoff game last year and now this season he’s taking his lumps. 

White played well but I also gotta wonder if they caught the Bengals sleeping on them a little. I don’t think he’ll do that again, though. And Saleh is in over his head as a head coach. Your front office goes all in on a highly drafted QB, you don’t turn around and say, hey my backup with one lucky start might just be the guy! Gotta learn that everything he says sends some type of message to his team. 

Either way, I’m all for any decision that helps the Jets remain an eternal dumpster fire. 

Right. Didn’t Fitz throw for 300 and 3 tds as a rookie in his first game way back when? 
I’m glad MW had a good game and Saleh is liking him. A team with 2 QBs don’t have a quarterback.

Jets gonna Jet.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I only watched some highlights so my point of view is tentative and limited... 

The kids seemed composed and adept at finding his receivers.  

But I didn't see him make any great throws.   Guys were getting open and guys were getting yards after the catch.  

I'm not sold yet, despite the gaudy numbers.  

I watched White a bit in the Jets game vs the Patriots.  Game was one sided obviously (Patriots crushed the Jets), but there were a few throws where White really jumped off the screen.  He seems like he has some potential, the question is how much?  Is he a decent backup or is he a potential starter (or neither and got lucky for a game)?  Hopefully he just got lucky.  If the guy can get the Jets of all teams to win against decent competition (Bengals), maybe he's got something?

Also, where do we put him now in the ordering of QBs from that 2018 draft?  I'd probably already put him ahead of Mason Rudolph just based on his two games

I studied White coming out of College because it was the Mayfield, Darnold, Josh, Rosen and Jackson draft.

I felt he was very smart, and had a nice pedigree.  His HS friends are in MLB, including one in the Braves organization.   

I also listened to his interview and Lamar's interview with Pat and Jim on NFL88  leading up to the draft.    They asked both the same question and I thought White crushed it with a great answer, while Lamar was "I would look for my Tight End".   Not a bad answer but White was more cerebral and had a good grasp of the game (beyond my ken).  His answer was much more complex.  

11 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I studied White coming out of College because it was the Mayfield, Darnold, Josh, Rosen and Jackson draft.

I felt he was very smart, and had a nice pedigree.  His HS friends are in MLB, including one in the Braves organization.   

I also listened to his interview and Lamar's interview with Pat and Jim on NFL88  leading up to the draft.    They asked both the same question and I thought White crushed it with a great answer, while Lamar was "I would look for my Tight End".   Not a bad answer but White was more cerebral and had a good grasp of the game (beyond my ken).  His answer was much more complex.  

Lamar was not drafted for his interview skills.

• Like (+1) 1

I think he will regress. But he is in a cool spot since his contract is up this year. The next few weeks could set him up for the rest of his life. 

Even if he signs a one year $5M contract for 2022 and never plays football again. He can invest it, never touch it, and retire by 45 comfortably living off the interest for the rest of his life. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.