Zach Wilson, we hardly knew ye?

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It seems not uncommon that a smart backup with "enough" talent can step in and play well for some time - Gardner Minshew, Kyle Allen, Taylor Heineke - then the league gets film on them and the better DCs figure out how to confuse and attack them, and they "regress"

Not to mention the GOAT of backup QBs, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

3 hours ago, blacklabel said:

This happens every so often with backup QBs or QBs who don’t have a whole lot of snaps in regular season. Teams get a measure of luck there in that they have a player with no film out there which makes it a little tougher for defenses to figure out. After a game or two, opponents will recognize tendencies and that QB falls back to Earth. Cooper Rush played pretty well for Dallas last night. Kind of the same with the success Taylor Heinicke had in the playoff game last year and now this season he’s taking his lumps. 

White played well but I also gotta wonder if they caught the Bengals sleeping on them a little. I don’t think he’ll do that again, though. And Saleh is in over his head as a head coach. Your front office goes all in on a highly drafted QB, you don’t turn around and say, hey my backup with one lucky start might just be the guy! Gotta learn that everything he says sends some type of message to his team. 

Either way, I’m all for any decision that helps the Jets remain an eternal dumpster fire. 

Several commentators thought the same.   They think that this was a "trap game" for the Bengals since it came on the heels of their big win over Baltimore and their showdowns in the next 2 weeks  against the Browns and Steelers.

• Like (+1) 1

Don’t wish any good vibes for the Jets ever but I’ll say that MW had some moxie out there. Maybe they’ve got something there? Seems like he has an arm but willing to throw easy passes. Wilson tries too hard.

That said their RBs caught, what, 20 passes? What happens when he has to start slinging it? Lots of obvious unanswered questions but a nice moment for him. 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It seems not uncommon that a smart backup with "enough" talent can step in and play well for some time - Gardner Minshew, Kyle Allen, Taylor Heineke - then the league gets film on them and the better DCs figure out how to confuse and attack them, and they "regress"

I also think that they start to press on things a bit more once they encounter negative performances. 

White has weaknesses.  He's not real mobile.  He processes slowly.  His history says he doesn't have a great pocket presence.  As film becomes available, defensive coordinators will scheme to take advantage of areas that he struggles with.  I wouldn't be surprised if White starts for a while, but teams will catch up, and White will return to earth.  I expect that next Summer, the Jets will still be wrestling with the issue of who should start.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Really see this in baseball, pitchers and batters that are young and have no info/data on them

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.