[Edit] Jon Gruden resigns over controversial emails discovered in WFT investigation

flaz

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Of course. I agree with everything you said. 

I was mainly talking about personal texts, photos, etc... when you link a personal device with a work E-Mail.  I'm just trying to snuff out the trope that "IT is always watching".  Just because we have access doesn't mean we're looking at someone's stuff.

That’s an important distinction to make thanks.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Funny how that works, huh? Smh. I’ve said it a million times here and elsewhere, Dan Snyder is a horrible human being. The fact that the NFL continues to actively defend that guy through their coverups and “investigations” is appalling. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

For some reason, Snyder seems to stay clean. I don't know how, but seems like he should be next to go.

They had the perfect opportunity and ample evidence to do it this past year or so. They chose not to. He’s being protected by the more powerful owners in the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

They had the perfect opportunity and ample evidence to do it this past year or so. They chose not to. He’s being protected by the more powerful owners in the league. 

He's more slimy than Gruden. Gruden is stupid, a product of the idiotic, macho, NFL mentality, but likely harmless, Snyder is a horrible person and his organization has likely caused some serious problems for a lot of people, mainly women.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

He's more slimy than Gruden. Gruden is stupid, a product of the idiotic, macho, NFL mentality, but likely harmless, Snyder is a horrible person and his organization has likely caused some serious problems for a lot of people, mainly women.

You can tell Snyder is one of those guys who failed with women as a younger man and is now taking out his vitriol now that he has power.  No telling what kinds of things he's done.

24 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Which other NFL owners were involved in Gruden losing his job?

I imagine @vincec in HR getting fired for sending a crass email internally, just reprimanding the HR person.

“Well if you saw my email you better read every single email that has ever been sent to or from this company. EVER! Or you can’t fire me!”

Sometimes I feel like I live in an alternate reality. This isn’t how any part of the world works. 

16 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I am always both shocked and not shocked that the NFL didn’t go full Donald Stirling.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

The thing I hate about this is it seems like people just want to tear someone down for the sake of tearing someone down. Big tree fall hard. Gruden has never had anything said about his views on race or sexual orientation affecting his professionalism. 

Look at someone’s actions on how you judge someone, not on their words. 

I am not a Gruden fan but this just seemed like a career assassination. 

The part of this that is sad is that you actually believe this

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

Without having any context to the situation, for some reason I'm saddened by this news. I liked Gruden in football. 

You should gather that context. Beyond that though, there’s always youtube. You can watch him there. Because he’s gone for good.

• Agree 1

I'm not making excuses for Gruden, but the quickness, willingness, and cult-like fervor of finding someone to cancel and cancel culture sickens me more than 10 year old insensitive language.

I need to see more facts and information.

Already many of the paraphrased or summarized emails have been deceptive and back tracked.

Many people who actually knew and worked with John Gruden vehemently deny he is racist and speak highly of his character. That means a lot to me.

I have huge privacy concerns about this case, and also need to know more about how and why these personal emails were leaked. 

Lastly, this took place a decade ago... 

Some of you folks licking your lips about finding fresh meat to cancel...the whole thing is sad.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I'm not making excuses for Gruden, but the quickness, willingness, and cult-like fervor of finding someone to cancel and cancel culture sickens me more than 10 year old insensitive language.

Already many of the paraphrased or summarized emails have been deceptive and back tracked.

Many people who actually knew and worked with John Gruden vehemently deny he is racist and speak highly of his character. That means a lot to me.

I have huge privacy concerns about this case, and also need to know more about how and why these personal emails were leaked. 

Some of you folks licking your lips about finding fresh meat to cancel...the whole thing is sad.

Does the NFL and Raiders know that YOU NEED to see more facts….how could they act without checking with YOU?

• Like (+1) 1

I respectfully disagree.  I am not one to persecute someone from a snip it, but I wrote in the beginning of this thread there would be apologists, and two things.  One, if he wrote the one comment, he has more behind it and shouldn’t be condoned me didn’t care if it were 10 years ago.  I’ve spent my whole life trying to avoid people or walk out of the room from my own extended family member when they make what they think are innocent jokes etc.  it’s plain and simple racism, and in my opinion stupidity.

Stupidity as to make generalizations about a group based on a what they think is the norm is shortsighted as there is so much variability among any group, to generalize shows you’re not that smart, and/or jaded.  I’ve taught my sons and daughter do you want to sound stupid.  They would argue as teens, and I would counter, and give examples.  Inevitably, it took a lifetime of raising someone to make sure they have in their head if I make generalizations based on a cooor, ethnicity, religion, whatever, I sound stupid.  That’s my opinion and I don’t apologize for it.

Second, to put anything in writing you can’t defend in a court of law makes you additionally stupid.  I work in a highly regulated community in medical device sales.  25+ years ago I had a mentor tell me to use that as the litmus test.  Anything you write personally to a friend as a joke,  always be prepared to be on the witness stand and defend it.  It stuck with me from a young age.  I knew if Gruden was so brash to write one racist remark, more would come when the FBI is investigating everything.  I didn’t want to say it the other day, but I knew more would come.  It’s the FBI.  When they start an investigation, they will do a metaphoric colonoscopy on everything.  Hence going back to my courtroom litmus test.

Lastly, we all have buddies who send us off color jokes which could make you laugh and even just say raucous, not necessarily prejudiced, I had to stop as a new manager over 15 years ago.  I just told my buds, please take me off this list and put it in writing, not just called them.  I wanted it in writing showing I didn’t condone it.  I then followed up with a call, and verbalized my concerns in a light way.  The whole list stopped as they were all new managers promoted and didn’t think about the ramifications of what they thought were innocent funny jokes.  That’s the world we live in and been that way for a very long time.  This isn’t something new in the last five years.  

Anyway, I don’t feel sorry for the guy, I think he’s a racist, sexist, homophobic idiot, who thinks he is above reproach and that pervasive attitude just bit him in the butt.  I won’t feel sorry if anyone else in the NFL has the same track record.  That’s not cancel culture, it’s not being tolerant of the good old boy culture.  There’s no place for it in corporate America nor has there been for decades.

If you disagree, that is you’re position.  We’ll agree to disagree.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

On 10/8/2021 at 8:19 PM, The 9 Isles said:

Get over it.

Society needs to find more productive ways to spend its energy otherthan to continually chase every single slightly offensive thing done in the history of mankind. 

The outrage mob is actually holding back any advance that society makes with the constant focus on race. 

White guy says what?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 3

7 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I apologize for not reading all the pages of content before this post, so not sure if any of this has been said yet. 

Obviously racism/discrimination cannot be tolerated, but no one thinks Gruden is a racist or homophobe. He has the only out gay player on his team and there’s been ZERO issues with the way he’s welcomed Nassibs courage. 

No one ever accused him of ever discriminating. All they have are decade old emails and the assumption that a negative opinion about an individual or an individual circumstance means that he was REALLY talking about EVERYONE who falls within the same demographic. 

Sports “Journalists” are just self important Karen’s. They get each other whipped into a self serving frenzy, demanding this and outraged at that so they can get clicks and retweets. 

Not sure about all fans, but this stuff is about as important to the game as those super tight reaction shots after every single play.

Just show the field!!

I’m sure I’ll get blasted for this, but if you look at peoples motive, you can figure out why they are behaving the way they are. These Sports Karen’s want attention and clicks. There is no benefit to being objective or dig to find the facts and pertinent nuggets to understand the situation. 

Because *gasp* if you don’t have the “right” opinion, you’ll be treated the same as Gruden was.

Full marks for stupidity on Gruden’s side, but I highly doubt he’s a bigot. 

Don’t feed the Karen’s. 

GO BILLS!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How did he think he could bury numerous emails?

With one you take the explanation and just shake your head.

Resigning was the proper thing to do and he should have done it last week knowing all the skeletons he still had hidden.

I hope he likes golf because thats all he will be doing for the next 20-30 years

38 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Then proceeds to make various excuses for Gruden. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.