[Edit] Jon Gruden resigns over controversial emails discovered in WFT investigation

flaz

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Between the unknown nature of whatever else the investigation into the WFT has found -- what's in the rest of these Bruce Allen e-mails? -- and the ongoing St Louis relocation lawsuit, the league potentially is about to have some very public, very ugly things to answer for. Little bit of a scary time for those in the league office.

Im afraid the oil is going to rise to the top, greasy stinky oil

blech Logic. Welcome to the decade of no secrets nothing silent nada zip zilch Nope. Its' all gonna come out. Hold yer nose Bills fans. Ha.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Between the unknown nature of whatever else the investigation into the WFT has found -- what's in the rest of these Bruce Allen e-mails? -- and the ongoing St Louis relocation lawsuit, the league potentially is about to have some very public, very ugly things to answer for. Little bit of a scary time for those in the league office.

There is a good talk about the WFT investigation going on on NFL Network right now.  It has to come out and IF the evidence points to Snyder

and his management team they have to suffer the fallout.  The NFL owners have a huge chasm in age and culture from the average employee (player).

Half the owners in the league are between 70-94 years old.  

The league administrators (who have a lot of issues themselves) have to mediate between the owners/team managements/players/media and fans.

If they do the right thing concerning WFT it will bring the league into the 21st century.  If they don't it just drags the league down.  It's time for

them to drag the owners into reality.

Personally I'm getting up in age and recently had an early retirement.  I have seen the changes in the world and accepted (with a few moans and groans)

that this is the way of the future.  Jon Gruden f'd up and he is gone.  Now do the same with the WFT owner/management.

I'll get off my soapbox before I fall and hurt myself!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Well, you happily omit one pretty key distinction in your little exercise in whataboutism - one party was a prominent NFL employee in a leadership role, the other parties are entertainers who work for themselves being contracted for one day of work. Pretty sure the league is on solid ground applying different standards to the two.

points for squeezing “free speech” into this, when it has nothing to do with free speech.

I'm use to seeing corporate culture and values expressed in everything they do.  They live it and breath it.  It doesn't only apply to the "prominent employees in leadership roles."

I should have said offensive speech vs. free speech.

2 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I'm use to seeing corporate culture and values expressed in everything they do.  They live it and breath it.  It doesn't only apply to the "prominent employees in leadership roles."

I should have said offensive speech vs. free speech.

Considering Gruden wasnt fired by anyone at the NFL office or the Raiders, but rather chose to leave...

Considering the Raiders had all of these emails for at least a week beforehand, and did nothing, letting Gruden coach as recently as 48 hours ago...

What exactly has the league done to Gruden that they arent doing to the halftime entertainers?

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Considering Gruden wasnt fired by anyone at the NFL office or the Raiders, but rather chose to leave...

Considering the Raiders had all of these emails for at least a week beforehand, and did nothing, letting Gruden coach as recently as 48 hours ago...

What exactly has the league done to Gruden that they arent doing to the halftime entertainers?

I believe they settled

Edited by Pokebball

1 minute ago, Pokebball said:

Are you saying the NFL supports sexist, vulger and lewd language?

Well, for 99.9% of its existence, yes, of course it has. Likely still mostly does today. All the way down to the players. Not just the language, but a disregard for players' safety and health, sheltering and protecting domestic abusers, drug dealers, weapons dealers, etc. That is something we have all reconciled and decided to remain fans.

But I'm trying to find the hypocrisy in Gruden resigning vs having Eminem/Dr Dre be the halftime entertainment. No one fired Gruden, he was barely ran out, and was even safe after the first round of emails.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well, for 99.9% of its existence, yes, of course it has. Likely still mostly does today. All the way down to the players. Not just the language, but a disregard for players' safety and health, sheltering and protecting domestic abusers, drug dealers, weapons dealers, etc. That is something we have all reconciled and decided to remain fans.

But I'm trying to find the hypocrisy in Gruden resigning vs having Eminem/Dr Dre be the halftime entertainment. No one fired Gruden, he was barely ran out, and was even safe after the first round of emails.

So if the NFL and/or it's teams has some involvement in Gruden resigning, do you think there is some hypocrisy? Maybe that's our difference.  I do and you apparently don't.

Anyways, I'm done with this thread.  I've said my peace.

To Bills

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

So if the NFL and/or it's teams has some involvement in Gruden resigning, do you think there is some hypocrisy? Maybe that's our difference.  I do and you apparently don't.

To Bills

Totally agree and the hypocrisy is obvious. Thats it from me. The season is too good ..dont need another suspension. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

To Bills

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

This was mentioned online but basically guy receiving the checks (Gruden) vs. guy writing the checks (Snyder). I do not disagree that the NFL should try to make Snyder sell, BUT the league is an old boys club in parts also which shows with stuff like this. What I do not get with the league and Snyder is a better owner would just make more money for the league and team. It is in the NFL's and the 31 other owners best interest for Snyder to leave.

I agree with you. But while many owners might want Snyder to go, they don't want a precedent in forcing an owner to sell.

There is a huge level of trust and buy-in required by the players with a coach.   Lose that and you're drawing dead.  Im assuming just that one email probably cost him all his currency with many players in the lockerroom.  This next batch would surely completely make Gruden's job impossible.

Like with the Bills...  When Trump went after the NFL's players, the Bills allowed McCoy to go out there and say his peace and get involved.  Also allowed the players to decide on what to do about kneeling, anthem, etc... you had Terry Pegula, who probably voted twice for Trump go out on a limb and write a letter to denounce him.

On the other hand, I truly think they gave/give Beasley the autonomy to do his thing and fight his battle if that is what is important to him.  I do think McDermott may have drawn the line though when it became player vs fans.  McDermott seems to really value the connection fans have to the players.  Putting down the fans with a broad brush is a no-fly zone...

But a lot of that goes into why these players seem to want to work for this and put it all out there.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m definitely NOT one for passing judgement, but I have nothing to hide. I’m FAR from perfect, but I’m not afraid of anything on my phone or email. If you don’t think it you don’t have to hide it. 

That's great, but I strongly suspect that if you look through the e-mails of the 34 rich, middle aged (or greater) owners, 32 of whom are white and 29 of whom are men, you're going to find more than a few that look like Donald Sterling.

Edited by vincec

17 hours ago, klos63 said:

Which other NFL owners were involved in Gruden losing his job?

At halftime of the MNF game, Adam Schefter indicated that the NFL ownership group told Mark Davis to either fire Gruden or have him resign in response to the emails, so I guess the answer is: all of them.

Edited by vincec

47 minutes ago, vincec said:

At halftime of the MNF game, Adam Schefter indicated that the NFL ownership group told Mark Davis to either fire Gruden or have him resign in response to the emails, so I guess the answer is: all of them.

Wait, I read here that Gruden just up and resigned…so he was actually forced to resign?  

Gruden should have kept his shyt to himself, but like I said.............

Let's dig up everyone's emails and texts and I can almost guarantee you that you will see racist/sexist crap all over the place.

Gruden pissed off the wrong person in NFL circles so it was ok to tar and feather Gruden.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Wait, I read here that Gruden just up and resigned…so he was actually forced to resign?  

Yes, according to Schefter the owners spoke with Mark Davis giving him the options, then he flew to the Raiders practice facility to “find” Gruden and after they met, Gruden resigned.

38 minutes ago, flaz said:

NFLPA has requested ALL of the remaining 650000 emails to be released 

I would suggest that that is a very BAD idea. Do they think they are going to gain leverage, or possibly kill the Golden Goose? At the very least, have a very angry goose on their hands. That’s a can of worms I’d leave alone at the moment. Maybe that’s just me, but you got a good thing going so why roll the dice on what might come out?  🤷‍♀️

40 minutes ago, flaz said:

NFLPA has requested ALL of the remaining 650000 emails to be released 

This would be great, but the Owners will never allow it because of all the nasty things it would reveal about the owners and league employees.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I would suggest that that is a very BAD idea. Do they think they are going to gain leverage, or possibly kill the Golden Goose? At the very least, have a very angry goose on their hands. That’s a can of worms I’d leave alone at the moment. Maybe that’s just me, but you got a good thing going so why roll the dice on what might come out?  🤷‍♀️

Glad not to be worried about our Coaches and FO at all on this.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Rich Eisen said it very well.  How does a grown man sit down at a computer, type the words “f-a-g-g-o-t” and “queers” in an email to an NFL executive, and then hit “send?”

Gruden deserves every bit of backlash, embarrassment, humiliation, you name it.  There is no place in society — and particularly not as the face of an NFL franchise — for this sort of ignorance.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

By ALL accounts, Gruden is an AH 23 hours of every day. Our local espn radio hosts were suggesting, now that he will be out of football, that he should take up golf or fishing. Can you imagine what it would  be like trying to enjoy your past time with him in your close proximity after all of this? I might hit or cast into him for entertainment value. Living in the same house will be miserable for anyone 

Edited by flaz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.