Week 5: Bills at Chiefs on SNF

YoloinOhio

Imo, there is a lot of pressure on KC, they are already down two games, and they need to right their ship, a loss for them hurts way more than a loss for us at this point in the season, it’s gonna be a dog fight for sixty minutes, confidence, execution, and attitude, combined with a free flowing game plan, should be on the menu, 

Go Bills!!!

32 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Imo, there is a lot of pressure on KC, they are already down two games, and they need to right their ship, a loss for them hurts way more than a loss for us at this point in the season, it’s gonna be a dog fight for sixty minutes, confidence, execution, and attitude, combined with a free flowing game plan, should be on the menu, 

Go Bills!!!

KC players are on a Monday rest day.  I hope the Raiders/Chargers game is a good one with both teams playing well.  They're playing for the

AFCW Division lead!

12 hours ago, eball said:

I really love this team but I can’t get myself to feel confident about a KC game until I see them do it.  I want an aggressive game plan on both sides of the ball and let the chips fall where they may.  This week’s game does not make or break the season, but a W would go a very long way towards a potential playoff matchup.  We can’t be the Chefs’ beyotches any longer.

I am the same way - have to see it done once first before the positivity can kick into gear.

In our first meeting last year they ran all over us - the spin on that was that the Bills focused on taking away the pass. My take is that we sucked last year stopping the run even when we stacked the box against obvious run formations so our coaching staff just picked our poison. We are much improved in that area with Star and Zimmer manning the middle and better gap discipline.

In our second meeting I felt like we tried to divide the baby trying to balance our run and pass defense. The net result was that we were good at neither - Kelce released off the line freely without anyone jamming him or challenging his route and Hill was making guys look silly with RAC and the middle of the field felt like it was always open with Mahomes using his eyes to move Edmunds off the spots he needed to be to defend passing lanes. The biggest factor perhaps is that we could not generate a thing against their patchwork offensive line with our front 4 and Mahomes had all day to comfortably operate.

No disrupted timing on routes, all day to throw, porous run defense on short yardage made for a long day for our defense. When we got more desperate and sent 5 after Mahomes he did what Josh does and found the guy open in man coverage or the gaps in zone and ate our lunch.

New year with a different team with some new pieces on both sides and a better commitment to slowing the rush with 11 personnel and feeding Zackin Singlemoss and leveraging Knox more. We could flip the script, but they are going to be stacking the box and balling hard to get us out of that run balance early to push Allen and Daboll into pass-only mode that is more suited to their defensive strengths.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, sven233 said:

One thing that has been missing from our offense for a while are Allen scrambles.  I'm not talking designed runs, but rather him just pulling the ball down and taking off.  Obviously, I would rather him keep his eyes downfield and look to make big plays, but there are a few times in each game, especially on 3rd downs and in short yardage situations where there are lanes available for him to take off, potentially get a first down, but sometimes he tries forcing passes.  Some he completes them, some he doesn't.  I am a big proponent of keeping the chains moving as much as possible because it gives us more opportunities to hit big plays.

He used to do it a lot, and I don't need him to do it at that level he used to because he is better throwing the ball than he used to be, but one thing it did was keep defenses honest and force them to pay attention to it.  I think if he got back to doing it 3 or 4 times a game, it really help our offense.

Good point.  Teams used to put a spy on him. I dont see that happening anymore 

Another thing I have not seen is many designed roll outs and throws back across the field. Daboll seemed to have 1 or 2 a game in the past. It may be that our OL is not mobile enough to run effectively.  

• Like (+1) 1

I really love this team but I can’t get myself to feel confident about a KC game until I see them do it.  I want an aggressive game plan on both sides of the ball and let the chips fall where they may.  This week’s game does not make or break the season, but a W would go a very long way towards a potential playoff matchup.  We can’t be the Chefs’ beyotches any longer.

This sums it up perfectly. Well said. 

Agree word for word and will add that I want the refs to call a good game. If they continue to allow the Chiefs DBs to get away with mugging our receivers, we better have a plan to counter. 

• Like (+1) 1

Another thing KC does very well is presnap motion. They are very good at getting the defense to bite on that crap. Just hope the coaches and players are in the film room for this one. I think KC's losses this year are an indicator that teams have had another year to study them.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

It's definitely way more important for them from a standings perspective. They are pretty much out of the race for the 1 seed with a loss. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Link to all of Herbert’s throws vs Chiefs. Not many deep passes. Quick throws to RBs, TEs, slants to receivers. Seemed to pick on #21. Maybe recipe to beat Chiefs 

Good advice would probably be don't try to be as ridiculous and over the top as the Chiefs. Play the game the way you play it.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Good advice would probably be don't try to be as ridiculous and over the top as the Chiefs. Play the game the way you play it.

That’s the problem and opposing teams know it. Josh likes to push the ball downfield. Even he said sometimes he has to go bottom to top instead of top to bottom.

12 hours ago, njbuff said:

We all get that.

I don't think there is a soul on this form that is expecting the Bills D to go into KC and shut them down, no one has in KC. NE did that for a half in the conference title game of 2018. That's about it.

This game is about Josh being an MVP, Daboll mixing in a running game to keep the Chiefs pass rushers honest (which they failed miserably in doing last year) and the Bills actually having healthy receivers to help him out.

I expect a shutout every game until the other team  scores. After the goose egg is broken I just expect them to keep it difficult for other team to score additional points.  I don't demand shutouts but I always will expect it.

With this coaching regime and this franchise  QB and skill players we have on both side as of the ball. Teams during the drought not so much.

Edited by AuntieEm
Added content

14 hours ago, galept said:

This is one of those "get over the hump" games, which will make it so very painful if we lose. It's a must-win in my book.

If we want to be considered  as the best team in the AFC and  SB contender then this is the game we have to win 

6 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

We have to play aggressive on D. If we play the same, “prevent” game plan we did the last two meetings, we will lose. 

That "prevent" game plan kept the Chiefs to 26 points last year (in the regular season), in a game where our offense produced almost nothing. In the AFCCG we moved away from that strategy and paid the price. If we are forcing the Chiefs to run the ball we are winning the game on defense. That defense plus the elite offense that this team is capable of is a win going away. People whined about the Chiefs rushing yardage in that game. Who really cares? Points win games.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

well this is pretty simple as far as on paper...Daboll as to come up with a better plan on offense.   Last year he coached really well 

and then went into a coaching shell once we hit the playoffs.   it was night and day different to me.   

Then the team has to execute.   the one thing mohomes has over josh is being confident and calm regardless of the situation and who 

he is playing.   the last thing is pressureing mahomes is everything....you dont see it often but he is night and day different when 

he has constant pressure in his face.

Edited by Comebackkid
  • Agree 1

We have equal talent on offense and a better defense. 

Dabolls gameplan will decide.  If he does what he did vs Pitt and last KC game, our Oline will suffer and so will Josh.  Hopefully we have a more balanced attack and Oline friendlier gameplan because Frank Clark & Co will eat our lunch again if they know we are gonna pass 50 times.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Don't see this game as coming out well for the Bills.   Home prime time for Chiefs.   Looks like Davis and Milano and Poyer might be out or still limited.  Still no answer for Chiefs D line.   Mahomes too difficult to get to for a sack.  H-ll, Bills couldn't sack him last year when he was on one foot.  

Hope I'm wrong, but Chiefs look to be built to be a bad matchup for what the Bills have.   Dominant TE against the McD zone defense; quick release QB.   Can't get in a shootout without Josh getting killed by the KC front 4.  

I still don't see it.   As I say, hope I'm wrong.  

Wait, what happened to Davis? 

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

"Day to Day" for Poyer, Johnson, and Milano is fabulous, but I hope they don't pull one of those "I'm playing unless you knock me out" things where Milano was playing a game where he couldn't raise his arm to make a tackle.  Healthy Milano >> Klein but a gameplan designed for Klein better than a hampered Milano and trying to plug Klein in for Milano's usual role.

Also Big News on the OL.  Does that mean if Feliciano is healthy, he still takes a seat and Boettger still starts? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

well this is pretty simple as far as on paper...Daboll as to come up with a better plan on offense.   Last year he coached really well 

and then went into a coaching shell once we hit the playoffs.   it was night and day different to me.   

Then the team has to execute.   the one thing mohomes has over josh is being confident and calm regardless of the situation and who 

he is playing.   the last thing is pressureing mahomes is everything....you dont see it often but he is night and day different when 

he has constant pressure in his face.

Mahomes played one game in his career in a josh allen like situation where a 4 man rush was crushing his offensive line and he did not look confident nor calm lol 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, Ayjent said:

That line sounds about right.  The Bills haven't played but one really good offensive game.  The Defense has been really good, but the Offenses they faced are not anywhere near the Chiefs.  The Bills will have to be able to maintain drives and come away with TDs, executing better than they have outside of the WFT game.  A good barometer game for both teams.

Agree 100%. The Bills D has faced a terrible Pitt offense, Miami isn't much better and Tua got hurt, WFT are decent, and the Texans enough said. We will see how good the defense really is in Arrowhead. I don't believe the Bills will slow down their offense. The Bills just aren't a good match up vs the Chiefs. Kelce cannot be stopped, CEH shouldn't bad as effective with Star in the middle. Mahomes and Reid know how to beat the Bills. 

On the other hand, I think the Chiefs defense is very beatable. The Bills should be able to score. However, they need to change up the game plan. The Chiefs defensive game plan was outstanding against the Bills last year. I believe the threat of a run game is vitato beat the Chiefs. Some quick passes and screens too. Limit the 5 WR formation. 

I don't see a Bills win in Arrowhead. The Chiefs will outscore the Bills. They really need the win. I'm laying the 3.5 points and betting big on the Chiefs. 

KC.   38

Bills. 28

19 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

I don't want to be a homer, but I see us coming into this game like a house on fire. I think this may be the best Bills team to face the Chiefs in awhile. I see a motivated football team taking this one by the horns.

My biggest concern is Milano's injury. But guys like Taron Johnson can pick up the slack covering Kelce, and its good to know the team has played w/o Milano recently even if it was not our best. 

I highly respect this Chiefs team, but i think 3rd times the charm. 

Spoken like a true homer.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 3

18 hours ago, Process said:

We scored two touchdowns in the AFCCG. One where started on the 5 yard line after a fumble. The other in garbage time.

Allen, who was a superstar all year, shrunk in both games vs KC. McDermott coached scared. We got outcoached, outplayed, completely outclassed.

We will likely spend most of this season blowing out garbage teams. Won't mean anything if we can't beat KC. This game is huge.

Sadly, I agree. However, I'm not going to get down on the team if they lose. I expect them to lose. KC is a better team, playing at home, and can't afford to lose. 

The Bills will win the division easily and I'm hoping they march into the playoffs playing strongly. This game will be a decent measuring stick. However, its too early to declare the Bills a bust or super bowl winners. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That "prevent" game plan kept the Chiefs to 26 points last year (in the regular season), in a game where our offense produced almost nothing. In the AFCCG we moved away from that strategy and paid the price. If we are forcing the Chiefs to run the ball we are winning the game on defense. That defense plus the elite offense that this team is capable of is a win going away. People whined about the Chiefs rushing yardage in that game. Who really cares? Points win games.

The only reason why they didn’t pass the ball much was because they were able to run at will.  They could have done whatever they wanted and that goes for both games.  Yes, we need to score points to win but limiting points is just as important.  

• Like (+1) 1

Looking forward to seeing how our D performs. I’m sure Beane was thinking about the Chiefs when he made our draft picks this year. Time to see if we’re able to contain them.   On O, hopefully Josh has Frank Sinatra calming him down… this will be the most hostile game he’s played in a couple years. Would be awesome to see us march the first drive down for 7.  No clue what to expect… but I feel better about this Chiefs match up versus the last two times we played them. They’re still the kings until we knock them off the throne. 

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Sadly, I agree. However, I'm not going to get down on the team if they lose. I expect them to lose. KC is a better team, playing at home, and can't afford to lose. 

The Bills will win the division easily and I'm hoping they march into the playoffs playing strongly. This game will be a decent measuring stick. However, its too early to declare the Bills a bust or super bowl winners. 

Based on what, exactly?

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.