Fitzmagic vs T-Mobile

5 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The ultimate Fitz game, is the 2011 Patriots @ Buffalo game. I think Fitz threw a couple of picks, and we were down 21-0. The Bills scraped themselves off of the carpet, and came back, and won in the final seconds, 34-31. Belichick was about to burst an artery on the sideline, as it threw a wrench into his winning streak against the Bills, which was getting close to mirroring Buffalo's 0 for the '70's record of infamy against Miami...

Oh man, what a game.Ā  I remember the Fitzpatrick soundbite from that touchdown.Ā  He had this high pitched scream that was just too funny

Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Chargers team is talented and has an outside chance at a WC spot.Ā  TT is the exact opposite of Rivers.Ā  My bet is Chargers have a better w/l record than the Colts.

Ā 

He has to at least play like Buffalo Tyrod though, and preferably not like year three Buffalo Tyrod. He was terrible in Cleveland. So if the Chargers are getting Cleveland Tyrod, I think they'll be playing the rookie by week 6.Ā 

10 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

In light of what's going on in Fitz's life, I think yourĀ timing is suspect. But, to answer your question, I enjoyed both of their tenures with the Bills and wish them well always.

I want to second this, Ā but am willing to take this a step further. Based on whatā€™s going on in RFā€™s life, the timing of this thread is trash. Especially when you take into account the fact that Fitz has had a career 10x from Tyrod.

Ā 

Fitz has been since Cincy, heā€™s been able to unseat their starter and take over the starting postilion for multiple games. TT has been a back up in Baltimore. Started over a failed draft pick in BUF. Lasted about 8 minutes in Cleveland. Super unsure whatā€™s happening in SD.Ā 

Ā 

Show some class.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that is basically what it was for me. Fitz's style could have won he just wasn't quite good enough (though the Bills never gave him a defense close to what Tyrod had).Ā 

Ā 

Tyrod to me you can't win with in any sustained way. There is a lower ceiling for that style of play. Don't me wrong as much as I wanted to move on from Tyrod and watching him try and play QB infuriated me, I totally respect him for what he did for the franchise and the professional way he dealt with everything that happened in his time here.

Ā 

Essentially both guys were pros.... Fitz was fun. Tyrod was not.Ā 

Very, very well said.Ā  Couldn't have put it better myself.Ā  Both were absolute class acts.Ā  Tyrod's style of play infuriated me to no end with his inability to throw anything beyond 10 yards to any of his receivers, and his performance in our playoff game vs Jacksonville single-handedly lost that game for us.Ā  I was all too happy to see him go.Ā  I loved Fitz for the exact reason you stated, he gave his all, he was never afraid to go for broke. He just simply wasn't talented enough.Ā  Ā Personally, his scream after the Bills beat the Raiders on the last play of the game, and in the post-game presser, he said that an 11 year old girl had run onto the field and was the one screaming was one of my favorite Fitz memories....?

Ā 

But they're both gone, God bless em both, and I wish them nothing but the best.Ā  Unless they're playing the Bills. Then may they suffer from explosive diarrhea and mess themselves right on the field.Ā 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Iā€™ll take Fitz over Tyrod every day. He writesĀ checks his arm canā€™t cash but that guy is a gamer and never gives up.Ā 

Oh, Fitz has no problem cashing checks.Ā  I never questioned Taylor's effort or fight.Ā  Being an introvert can sometimes come across as being apathetic.Ā  Despite different styles, both were/are perfect bridge quarterbacks that can lead the team to the playoffs only if you have a good defense.Ā  They won't get you to a Super Bowl though.

Ā 

I'll admit I learned to appreciate Taylor a little more after Peterman threw as many picks in one half as Taylor did the entire 2017 season.Ā  The Chargers are my sleeper team this year with him back with Lynn.

I always liked then both, personally and for their performance on the field. Each has their good football qualities, and each has their footballĀ  limitations. And the one thing that both had in common, they did not have the talent around them to overcome their playing deficiencies. it was in those times of need or when they needed to rise above it and make up for that lack of surrounding talent, that their deficiencies as NFL QBs was exposed. Neither was going to carry the team.

Ā 

By way of contrast, and to my point above, what Josh Allen has that they didn't, a good enough team around him to cover for his limitations as a player. The team is better, so the QB is better. And I also believe that Josh Allen has a much higher ceiling than either Fitz or Tyrod. He's not there yet, but he is ascending. Ā 

As someone else mentioned, Iā€™ll take you at youā€™re word you simply wanted opinions on the two and had nothing to do with the tragedy Fitz is facing right now as that would be crude, so benefit of the doubt. Ā On the question of the two, people do like Fitzā€™s gunslinger mentality, but when he would lose us games from his poor judgement and throwing the ball to the competition, it was maddening. Ā You may be confusing the notion people love him as a person. Ā Whatā€™s not to love. Ā Heā€™s funny with fans and media, donates his time, is a loving husband and father by all accounts, and he loved Buffalo. Ā He still speaks fondly of Buffalo in interviews he had in NY and Miami. Tyrod made us competitive again, but was so afraid to throw a pick.

Ā 

One other person said both of these guys are excellent back ups. Ā They are and probably two of the top 3 in the league, but they are just back ups. Ā Iā€™d want either as our back up, but never as the starter. Ā Fitz is only starting so Tua can develop and he knows it. Ā Tyrod might make it he whole year as Justin Herbert is pretty raw. Ā Now if the Chargers are completely knocked out of playoff contention, then I can see Herbert going in to just get game reps.

Ā 

The last point is we are now up to three wildcard slots for each conference which means team will still think they have a ***** later in the year.

I think fondly of both of them... TyrodĀ is a great game managing QB... he arguably had a better skill set than Fitz... people liked Fitz more because he was a gunslinger and liked to air it out.. Tyrod was ultra conservative..I do think Tyrod would win you more game than Fitz because of consistency....Fitz was wildly inconsistent....one game he would play like a top 10 QB, then the next heā€™d play like a bottom 32... Fitzā€™s number 1 downfall through his entire career was consistency...Tyrod was more steady....I pick Tyrod in terms of winning football games...not as entertaining...but steady..

• Like (+1) 1

With Fitz you felt like any game he could throw for 450yrd and have 5 TD. Ā He equally could throw for 450 yards And have 5 picks. Ā Either way he was trying to win at all costs.

Ā 

With TT he could throw for 210 and have a pair of TD or he could throw for 85 yards with no TD but have a completion % of 80. Ā I always felt his style of play was to protect certain stats that made him look good and compensate for lack of killer instinct. Great athlete but too conservative for the positionĀ 

Fitz embraced the city of buffalo. Still does. Ā  Says itā€™s his favorite city he played. Ā  Plus he is charismatic and funny as hell. Ā  Tyrod is a pro but super serious and does not really open up publicly. Thatā€™s it really. Ā Other than that I think fans in general appreciate both but are also not sad they have moved on. Ā 

On 8/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, MJS said:

All true, but Tyrod also kept the team in games by not turning the ball over. You just couldn't ask him to go out and win it for you.

Ā 

But W/L isn't even close. Fitz had a TERRIBLE W/L record as a Bill. In close games, who knows, but there's no way that it bridges the gap. Fitz was at his worst in close games and key moments. Guarenteed pick.

Not turning it over only keeps you in games with a goodĀ running game and solid defense.

Both seem like great people in the IRL (redundant, see redundant)

Ā 

The 2011 season ended up being a kick in the groin, but we'll always have thatĀ Week 3 win over the Pats.

Ā 

As much as Fitz would go full gunslinger (without the gun) and try some CRAZY things...Ā it's like the young guy we have now, except the young guy has the cannon arm.

Ā 

Tyrod was far too cautious. I work with a guy who is a Hokies fan from VA, and he loves every present and past player. I had to explain the "Tyrod special". You know the one where your quarterback throws for 98 yards. And yes I know it 134 yards in a playoff game against a formidable Jaguars defense, but come on, man.

Ā 

I think Fitz could have made magic here with the team they have now. That 2011 era vintage was fun in a Bad News Bears sort of way, as in a not-very good group of misfits who won (and broke) our hearts. With the contractĀ they gave him (prematurely), they had to move on from him. But it's unfortunate because he was already regarded as a top shelf teammate, whether the starter or the backup, and we could have used him at the beginning for Josh. Glad they stumbled upon Barkley along the way, so it worked out regardless.

I never wanted TT from the start, that style of offense was so not entertaining. When we would get down in a game and it was up to Taylor to bring you back on his arm it was over.Ā 
Ā 

I wish Fitz had the offensive weapons that we have right now. Fitz isĀ a gamer, he plays the game the right way and looks genuinely pissed off when his team loses. If Fitz hadĀ a little more arm strength and a little more accuracy he would fall into that tier of QB that can win you a SB with a good defense. His film study and QB intelligence was off the charts. His personality is as good as it gets. If I had my choice to golf with TT, Allen or Fitz I would choose Fitz.

I think Tyrod had heart. He took big hits and got up and kept playing.Ā 
Ā 

he also helped break the curse. Heā€™s a Bills legend for that.Ā 
Ā 

Fitzy threw a lots of picks, but he had his moments too. Overall, Tyrod was better.Ā 

On 8/29/2020 at 1:45 PM, billvernsays said:

In light of what going on in the country I wanted to get to the bottom of why Fitzmagic is so popular among Bills fans where Tyrod is not.Ā 
Ā 

My thought is it all comes down to heart. Fitzmagic didnā€™t care about throwing picks but he was gonna try to get that critical 3rd down conversion no matter what. Like when you can tell watching the game on TV ā€œIf we donā€™t get this one itā€™s overā€ Fitz could care less if he threw at pick at that point because he knew the game was over either way if we didnā€™t convert.

Ā 

Tyrod was the exact opposite he would never lose you a game but if we were behind the chains at all(e.g holding penalty or sack) we might as well have punted on 3rd down every time. As frustrating as that may have been he would rarely turn the ball over, especially when it mattered most.Ā ( e.g. last year when Fitz threw a pick to TreDay allowing us to climb back into the game). To add to that I believe Tyrod was a main contributor to us ending to drought.Ā 
Ā 

My assumption is Fitz is viewed as a warrior, much like Josh Allen,Ā and Tyrod is viewed as a game manager which is why thereā€™s a disparity but perhaps Iā€™m just oblivious.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I think T-mobile needed to save something for a sprint...

One was white...the other was black...

On 8/29/2020 at 2:32 PM, Mickey said:

A bit revisionist I think. Plenty of people wanted Fitz out of Buffalo and were not shy about voicing their conviction that the Bills were wasting his time with him as their QB. That having been said, Tyrod is an introvert and so he was just never able to connect with fans who respected his play.

Agreed. Fitz legacy actually seems to

have been more propped up here after the fact because heā€™s been around so long.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

I think Tyrod had heart. He took big hits and got up and kept playing.Ā 
Ā 

he also helped break the curse. Heā€™s a Bills legend for that.Ā 
Ā 

Fitzy threw a lots of picks, but he had his moments too. Overall, Tyrod was better.Ā 

Tyrod played on much better teams , with much better weapons

Ā 

Fitz took hella shots and always got back up . Made Stevie Johnson a three-time thousand-yard receiver, and always played like it was his last game

Ā 

Both are system guys, but I would take Ryan Fitzpatrick at his best over tyrod Taylor anyday

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

Fitz was part of a time where the team was such a joke he helped made the time fun and had some success. I have routinely said he never got the talent/coaching around him to have enhanced his play. When he was in Houston with talent they made the playoffs and he won 10 games in NYJ. He was a very personal guy, but his contract was the killer here. Buffalo was better off with him as the placeholder in 2013 for EJ or a different QB to wait under but he wouldnā€™t take a pay cut and thought he could start which he did. Fitz literally

showed his ceiling in NYJ/HOU which was 9-10 wins an playoffs but like others have said the game he throws 5 TDs the next it was 5 INTs. He was fun but very reckless which fans loved.

Ā 

Tyrod was a better QB but far less vocal and by 2015 the expectations were much higher. I think with a good coach and talent you could win 12 games because he could Alex Smith a team. He never had competent coaching until McD and what a surprise he wasnā€™t exciting and even though it was the least talented team of his 3 they made the dance. People forget he was 8-6 in 15 and 22-21 in Buffalo overall. Fitz wasnā€™t even close to that. I loved Tyrod and wish he was the dude but he was a bridge starter who would eventually leave you wanting more.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I never wanted TT from the start, that style of offense was so not entertaining. When we would get down in a game and it was up to Taylor to bring you back on his arm it was over.Ā 
Ā 

I wish Fitz had the offensive weapons that we have right now. Fitz isĀ a gamer, he plays the game the right way and looks genuinely pissed off when his team loses. If Fitz hadĀ a little more arm strength and a little more accuracy he would fall into that tier of QB that can win you a SB with a good defense. His film study and QB intelligence was off the charts. His personality is as good as it gets. If I had my choice to golf with TT, Allen or Fitz I would choose Fitz.

Ā 

You had me until the last sentence.

Ā 

Earlier you said, "If Fitz hadĀ a little more arm strength and a little more accuracy he would fall into that tier of QB that can win you a SB with a good defense." You just described Josh. Maybe his QB intelligence isn't off the charts, but he's smart and eager to learn, and his arm strength and accuracy (yes, even his accuracy) are as good as Fitz's.

Ā 

• 1 month later...

In light of what going on in the country I wanted to get to the bottom of why Fitzmagic is so popular among Bills fans where Tyrod is not.Ā 
Ā 

My thought is it all comes down to heart. Fitzmagic didnā€™t care about throwing picks but he was gonna try to get that critical 3rd down conversion no matter what. Like when you can tell watching the game on TV ā€œIf we donā€™t get this one itā€™s overā€ Fitz could care less if he threw at pick at that point because he knew the game was over either way if we didnā€™t convert.

Ā 

Tyrod was the exact opposite he would never lose you a game but if we were behind the chains at all(e.g holding penalty or sack) we might as well have punted on 3rd down every time. As frustrating as that may have been he would rarely turn the ball over, especially when it mattered most.Ā ( e.g. last year when Fitz threw a pick to TreDay allowing us to climb back into the game). To add to that I believe Tyrod was a main contributor to us ending to drought.Ā 
Ā 

My assumption is Fitz is viewed as a warrior, much like Josh Allen,Ā and Tyrod is viewed as a game manager which is why thereā€™s a disparity but perhaps Iā€™m just oblivious.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

You still oblivious ? Ā  Ā It would take Taylor 2 years to match Fitzā€™s numbers todayĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I would agree with all of this. Ā I would also add that I think Fitzpatrick overachieved, whereas Tyrod underachieved. Ā The teams that Tyrod was QB on had considerably more talent on offense than Fitz. Ā 

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

You still oblivious ? Ā  Ā It would take Taylor 2 years to match Fitzā€™s numbers todayĀ 

I also think Fitz is actually a much better QB today than he was with us. I donā€™t believeĀ most Bills fans understand that either. We had a lesser Fitz than the one who has played in recent years.Ā 

Just now, SirAndrew said:

I also think Fitz is actually a much better QB today than he was with us. I donā€™t believeĀ most Bills fans understand that either. We had a lesser Fitz than the one who has played in recent years.Ā 

He will still never take a team to the playoffs... So doesn't matter.

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

idk about all that. Ā  Ā  Ā  Heā€™s still gonna stink it up with an INT fest here and there. Ā Ā 

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

He will still never take a team to the playoffs... So doesn't matter.

I agree, but I donā€™t think he was very good here at all, contrary to memories of Bills fans. Heā€™s a better QB to my eyes than he was in Buffalo. His BuffaloĀ tenure is vastly overrated.Ā 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 2