Bill Belichick does not use Analytics

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He doesn't have to when he's got Ernie Adams behind the scenes who has a mind like no other that can remember opponents personnel/formations/plays and feed Bill details of what's more than likely to happen on the field. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

that's a huge lie.  ernie adams is widely considered the pats guy with that.  but they've never said what he actually does.  the pats have been ahead of everyone with how their offense is used with the quick throws and screens and getting away from the run game.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

He doesn't have to when he's got Ernie Adams behind the scenes who has a mind like no other that can remember opponents personnel/formations/plays and feed Bill details of what's more than likely to happen on the field. 

Exactly, Ernie Adams is a huge reason for the pats* success and he’s doing nothing but analytics. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He doesn't have to when he's got Ernie Adams behind the scenes who has a mind like no other that can remember opponents personnel/formations/plays like no other and feed Bill details of what's more than likely to happen on the field. 

3 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

Exactly, Ernie Adams is a huge reason for the pats* success and he’s doing nothing but analytics. 

Yep. Adams definitely relies on analytics and feeds that information to Belichick, so, he is lying...again

Adams is also the guy that received and used the tapes in "Spygate," so, f*** him.

Cheaters... 

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Any coach that goes for it on 4th and short when they aren't losing is using analytics whether they think so or not. 

Not really.  The idea would be to have knowledge of the process and utilize that process in your decision making.

If you are ignorant of the process, you aren't "using" analytics, although analytics could be used to explain your decision.

There is no way in hell New England does not have analytics people...and if they don't, they're a lot dumber than I thought.

8 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

In game is the key thing here.  They have that mathematician that runs team tendencies don't they?

I would guarantee they have this sort of stuff.

I would also suggest BB is deliberately being somewhat coy in his remarks here.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I pray for a day, in the not to distant future, were we can stop quoting every meaningless mumbling utterance of that intolerable ass.

And Brady as well.

and the analytics folks as well, add them to the pile

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

B.S.  he might not have a analytic team or group, but he looks at football an analytic way.  

I’m guessing his answer reflects his belief that ‘analytics’ is an overly broad term (which it is), making it kind of a pointless question.

Really, asking what part analyzing data plays in game preparation?  Why not ask what part ‘strategy’ or ‘planning’ play in game prep?  ?

Edited by KD in CA

9 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

B.S.  he might not have a analytic team or group, but he looks at football an analytic way.  

Some people can do it in their head.   Others need to have it done for them or purchase it from a vendor.

The people who don't need help are always more successful than those who do...

From the Patriots media guide:

DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH Richard Miller is in his 24th season with the Patriots. Miller joined the Patriots as Player Compensation Analyst in March 1996 and was promoted to Director of Research in 2001. Miller is responsible for managing the Patriots salary cap and player costs; player contract research and statistical trends; financial and strategic planning; and assisting the personnel department with draft, free agency and game advance analytics. A native of Hortonville, Wis., Miller graduated from Carroll University with bachelor’s degree in finance and economics in 1993 and from Brandeis University with a master’s degree in international economics in 1996. Miller also matriculated at Aberystwyth University in Wales and the National University of Singapore. Miller resides in Franklin, Mass., with his wife, Sharon, and two sons, Colin and Joshua.

Matt Lindsay is in his third season as a data analyst for the New England Patriots. Lindsay joined the organization as an intern in January 2017 before joining the staff full time in June of 2018. Lindsay played wide receiver and tight end at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology where he graduated in 2017 with a degree in math and physics. Born and raised in Batavia, Ill., Lindsay graduated from Wheaton Academy where he played football.

They also have an IT director that has been with them 20 years that maintains research databases, amongst other things.

So they utilize analytics just like everyone else. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

One of the great in game decisions of all time letting the clock run on Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson before the Malcom Butler interception. 

letting Mike Martz outsmart himself, letting Andy Reid crap the bed during the last 2 minutes of a close game....

he did get burned on two of the luckiest completions in football history by the Giants, so analytics goblins are taking credit for that.

58 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

So, Darth Vader relies on Rain Man?  ?

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i doubt there are too many people who could hang in a football chat with Bill if he was being evasive, certainly not anyone with a laptop who never played football

Well, that has me feeling deflated...?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Any coach that goes for it on 4th and short when they aren't losing is using analytics whether they think so or not. 

Not so. If something happens to line up with what analytics say, that doesn't mean you are using analytics. It means that your decision happened to align with the analytics.

People can make happy mistakes all the time.

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Analytics is not referring to being analytical. It refers to statistical analysis.

• Like (+1) 1

lol they asked about IN GAME decisions.. I'm not shocked that doesnt factor in then for BB at all.. as for the 4 and short decisions if ahead... I know one was because who the QB he was facing and he believed our offense had a better chance than our Defense.. (wasnt stats but a gutt and eye test really)

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So, Darth Vader relies on Rain Man?  ?

Well, that has me feeling deflated...?

one sportpodcastmouthdude a few years ago stated that baseball is for dumb people, one reason was there is no way a lot of people could discuss serious strategy with an NFL football coach if he wasn't going to respect you

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I think Belichick does it just to rub your nose in it. He’s that kinda guy.  

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Right- he has the best analytics guy in the game. It’s a BB answer of the highest degree to say analytics arent really used there.

Edited by NoSaint