Milano as trade compensation

31 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

We pretty much cut all of them already of traded them and or didn't re sign. Lol

Horseradish.  The only good player who was arguably traded early was Diggs.

Poyer: 32, had stated his intention to play out this year and "retire a Bill".  It's sad we cut him, but his range was clearly falling off, which is why we had him playing LB a fair bit and backfilled with Rapp at Safety.

Hyde: 33, suffering from neck stingers even after neck surgery, sad to see him walk, but ditto. 

We arguably kept Dr Poyer and Mr Hyde a year too long, trying to get them a ring in exchange for all they did here.  Great guys and great leaders but no longer our best players.

Morse: 32, had limitations in the run game as an "athletic" center vs. a mauler and could lose and get shoved back without help against the best DTs.  Has a big concussion history.  I believe he limited our run play vocabulary a bit.  Great guy, good OLman, but time to move on

Tre White, 29: remember "whoever Tre White is on, he'll be open" from Chris Simms pre-2022 playoffs?  Looked good in 2023, then suffered an injury a lot of players don't come back from.  I wish him the best, but it's been 2 years since he was one of our stars.

Gabe Davis: Great guy, willing blocker, limited as a WR.  We were hoping he'd grow into a strong #2, but it was clear that wasn't going to happen

The two players we traded or didn't re-sign who were I believe were pretty inarguably still very good players, were Diggs and Leonard Floyd.  Diggs apparently didn't want to be here, and Floyd was too expensive for us to keep.

Who do you think are the "good" players we traded or cut or didn't resign?  Harty?  Hines?  Jordan Phillips?  

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills have 2 stars on the team if Milano is healthy. We are suggesting that we trade one of those 2? stupid youtube GIF

It’s not going to work for many reasons, some of which I stated above. But the cold, hard reality is that you gave the reason it is often prudent to trade player like Milano. Outside of Allen the team is devoid of difference makers. Milano will be 30 before the season starts and 31 is the typical age of the start of decline for LBers. What’s the realistic overlap of him still being a difference maker and the team acquiring enough other ones to be in position to compete for a championship? It’s not zero, but absolute best case is 2025. Two successful drafts and a successful 2025 FA haul. 2025 is his age 31 season and last under contract. Maybe he stays for a lesser deal at that point or maybe he gets replaced by a younger player. It would be nice if he could be along for the next ride. 

I love Milano as a player and I don’t want to see him go. He is one of my favorites. The emotional side of me is very happy he will be here this season. But the analytical side of me knows what the best long term move for the Bills would be if he had significant trade value. We’d use that to help the team reload and acquire young talent to make the next run even if it hurt both emotionally and on the field this season. 

51 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

This is so untrue.

https://deadspin.com/2023-nfl-sacks-leaders-1850875599 

Of the names on here. The only two "real" LBs who don't put their hand in the ground is Hassan Reddick and Josh Allen but even they does some times. Roquan Smith isn't on there, no value? Fred Warner not on there, no value? Dre Greenlaw, Quincy Williams, CJ Mosley.... Milano ..  Cmon man.  

Yes he plays LB.. not Edge/OLB. Milano has value but not enough given age and his contract. Why would the Bills trade him for a 4th or 5th? Then we have an additional spot where depth is an issue. He is a game changer on this D and imho not enough return back for his Bills value. 

• Agree 1

I love Milano and am certainly not looking to find holes in his game or a way for him off the team.

Having said that, he is a quality asset valued around the league.

If moving him now would make the team BETTER OVERALL, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Who wouldn't?

I would say the same of almost anyone on the team save Josh.  

Interesting idea

I doubt we get much return draft wise, so i'd think they'd package him in some sort of trade idea.

We did operate above average in his absence last year.  AND, hes getting older..  

I bet Beane is kicking tires on it.

2 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Matt Milano. 

The all pro best LB on the roster, whos replacement was already drafted.  Would it be crazy for them to trade him now on an attempt to move up? Possibly.

But he has had some availability issues over the years. And the negative is him coming off a knee injury, but otherwise this would be a perfect sell high moment.

If a team was willing, it would be perhaps the best way to move up without sacrificing a boatload of future picks 

Discuss 

You realize “April Fools” isn’t a month long thing right?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Interesting idea

I doubt we get much return draft wise, so i'd think they'd package him in some sort of trade idea.

We did operate above average in his absence last year.  AND, hes getting older..  

I bet Beane is kicking tires on it.

Why on Earth are we trying to find ways to get rid of our best players???  Then return would be nominal at best, and we’d lose our best player on defense. So, WHY??? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Why on Earth are we trying to find ways to get rid of our best players???  Then return would be nominal at best, and we’d lose our best player on defense. So, WHY??? 

Well, i think to regroup a  bit.  We need to restock with young legs, etc.   Kinda part of the biz.

A package deal sending him elsewhere for another player and a draft pick may not be a bad option.  

Younger and cheaper is what were up against.  

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Bernards a stud. Can't see how they wouldn't be super confident in him. Played like a pro bowler/borderline all pro. 

Regardless of how they feel on Williams,  no chance they move Milano. It's not like he's coming off an acl. He'll be ready for all off season programs.

I personally do love Williams as depth though but Milano in another level,  and a top 3 LB on a reasonable contract.

Remember folks, we get over 10 mil on the cap after 6/1 from Tres release 

I predict our LBs will be nasty this season.  Can't wait.  

I understand the premise, but it just isn't going to happen. A couple of things...

Milano is a particular scheme fit and won't work for the majority of teams. He is also coming off a serious injury. The best example of this is how things went down with Shaq Leonard. It's basically the same. Guy gets hurt, is a bad scheme fit and gets waived. The Colts got nothing for him and he is probably better and is younger than Milano. 

Additionally, here are the cap numbers on a Milano trade: 

Pre 6/1 trade: 

2024 Dead Cap: $25,185,000
2024 Cap Savings: $-12,748,000

Post 6/1 trade: 

2024 Dead Cap: $7,932,000
2025 Dead Cap: $17,253,000
2024 Cap Savings: $4,505,000

They don't even have the cap space to trade him. 

Additionally, off-ball linebacker is one of the least valuable positions around the league. 

And finally, he is way more valuable to the Bills than he is to anyone else. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Matt Milano. 

The all pro best LB on the roster, whos replacement was already drafted.  Would it be crazy for them to trade him now on an attempt to move up? Possibly.

But he has had some availability issues over the years. And the negative is him coming off a knee injury, but otherwise this would be a perfect sell high moment.

If a team was willing, it would be perhaps the best way to move up without sacrificing a boatload of future picks 

Discuss 

Yes, let’s get rid of one of the few legit super stars on this team in their prime. No thanks. Look no further than the Kansas City game to see how much they missed his presence. Bernard/Milano are a top 3 LB tandem and probably the best in the NFL when it comes to pass coverage. Definitely one of the biggest bright spots for the team this coming season. McDermott has to be excited drawing up plays for those 2. 

This team already has enough holes on the roster. No reason to create another one. Bernard is not the question. Dodson did well replacing Milano. Williams, we'll see. I'll be happy to see Bernard and Milano work together this year. Just hope Milano will be on the field regularly.

Matt Milano. 

Discuss 

That’s perfect, trade our best defender because he was injured. Great way to attract FAs. Milano’s value is more as a veteran leader with Hyde,Poyer, White , Phillips, Lawson all gone. Milano is a top 5 OLB. He allows us to play defense with 2 LBs in Sean’s system.

• Agree 1

Matt Milano. 

Discuss 

half baked boo GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Well, i think to regroup a  bit.  We need to restock with young legs, etc.   Kinda part of the biz.

A package deal sending him elsewhere for another player and a draft pick may not be a bad option.  

Younger and cheaper is what were up against.  

I predict our LBs will be nasty this season.  Can't wait.  

Dude before Milanos injury they were EVERYWHERE on the field.  Played fast and very decisive

Also think Williams will continue to develop into a beast 

3 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Matt Milano. 

Discuss 

Of all the bad takes… 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Of all the bad takes… 

This isn't about what I want to happen. It's about the best options available to get the talent we need and get younger and cheeper.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Horseradish.  The only good player who was arguably traded early was Diggs.

Poyer: 32, had stated his intention to play out this year and "retire a Bill".  It's sad we cut him, but his range was clearly falling off, which is why we had him playing LB a fair bit and backfilled with Rapp at Safety.

Hyde: 33, suffering from neck stingers even after neck surgery, sad to see him walk, but ditto. 

We arguably kept Dr Poyer and Mr Hyde a year too long, trying to get them a ring in exchange for all they did here.  Great guys and great leaders but no longer our best players.

Morse: 32, had limitations in the run game as an "athletic" center vs. a mauler and could lose and get shoved back without help against the best DTs.  Has a big concussion history.  I believe he limited our run play vocabulary a bit.  Great guy, good OLman, but time to move on

Tre White, 29: remember "whoever Tre White is on, he'll be open" from Chris Simms pre-2022 playoffs?  Looked good in 2023, then suffered an injury a lot of players don't come back from.  I wish him the best, but it's been 2 years since he was one of our stars.

Gabe Davis: Great guy, willing blocker, limited as a WR.  We were hoping he'd grow into a strong #2, but it was clear that wasn't going to happen

The two players we traded or didn't re-sign who were I believe were pretty inarguably still very good players, were Diggs and Leonard Floyd.  Diggs apparently didn't want to be here, and Floyd was too expensive for us to keep.

Who do you think are the "good" players we traded or cut or didn't resign?  Harty?  Hines?  Jordan Phillips?  

Then why you all pitch forking over a 30 olb?

• Vomit 1

I feel like Milano is just entering his prime years. He’s still ascending as a player. I’ve seen him get better every season. 

Athletically he can lose a step with age and still be one of the most athletic LBs in the league. It’s the mental side were he just keeps improving. He’s recognizing plays faster every year. He hasn’t hit his peak yet.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Matt Milano. 

Discuss 

Are you assuming we’re going to eat his 20+ mill contract? Because we can’t….

And no one is going to take that contract, no one….

5 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Matt Milano. 

Discuss 

Why do some look at this like a 1 offseason Madden rebuild?  Milano is our best defender.  Why trade him and create another hole on the roster?  A few extra picks to package for Marvin Harrison?  You dont fill a hole by making another.

• Agree 1

Gonna get a lot of hate in this one. But I’d trade him in a heartbeat. Problem is, not  a single team in the NFL is willing to take a chance on a guy that’s been injury prone his entire career and now coming off what could potential be a career ender. 

Edited by mrags

When Milano's rookie deal expired, he could have gotten a better deal, but chose to stay with the Bills.

That kind of loyalty deserves some reciprocation.

More important, he's played at an all-pro level.  HIs injury also, wasn't a career threatening or permanently disabling.  He had a broken leg.  He should be able to completely recover.  Besides, his body has had almost an entire year to rest.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, wppete said:

One of the worse ideas I have heard in a very long time and there have been many on here…. Next we will start talking about trading Josh Allen 🙄

I mean Chicago has 2 1sts this year Inc #1 overall.  Trade Josh for both and their 1sts in 25'and 26'  🤣🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sadly, you wouldn't be the first to propose this. I guess some of you are just searching for *any* way to come up with more trade up ammo for the ability to end up with a Top 6 pick this year for MHJ or Nabers.

Wanting to move on from perhaps the best true off the ball Linebacker in the NFL because you really want  one of them is, at best, incredibly misguided.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Super confident in Williams as far as what, they played like 4 other shmucks ahead of him last year.  The guy has talent and hopefully it all comes together for him but I think the team demonstrated a big lack of confidence in him last year.

You tell me. This is a hypothetical scenario the OP posed.

10 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Matt Milano. 

Discuss 

Iirc, he broke a bone in his leg…, not a knee injury, could be wrong of course as I don’t follow the minutiae as much as others, 😁👍

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

I can't imagine his trade value could be any lower than it is right now.

Correct. 

The right time to take calls on Milano is next season if he returns to form.

ultimately, it still may not be worth it to move him but that’s when the value and the potential decline would possibly be commiserate.

Of course, he’s basically untradeable now, and still trades away at a loss next year.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1