Poll: How do we feel about Stefon Diggs the player?

Poll: How do we feel about Stefon Diggs the player?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Divorced from whether the Bills made a good or bad deal, how do we all feel about Stefon Diggs as a player?

• Good riddance to a locker room cancerin', bomb in the KC playoff game droppin', Josh Allen on the sideline challengin' mutha *****a. Don't let the door hitya on the way out.
    • Declining talent, it was time to go, no hard feelings.
    • Good receiver, can eventually come back as a Bills legend.
    • Bills Wall of Famer.
    • Best Bills receiver ever.
    • Other (please explain).

OK, we've all had to time to digest and cool off.  I wanted to cut through the 150-page thread to find out how we all feel about Stef Diggs as a player.  Forget the terms of the deal and all the rest of it, this is just where we stand on Diggs as a player.  I've listed 5 options that I pulled from the thread, read, or heard elsewhere, along with an Other option if I missed anything.

My opinion, Stef Diggs is a good receiver, possibly in decline.  He couldn't get us over the hump, but I have no hard feelings.  I don't think he's a Wall of Famer, and certainly not the best Bills WR ever (surprising number of those in the 150+ thread, but Andre Reed says hi).  I'd invite him back as a legend of the game, but maybe 5+ years down the road.  Flame away!

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

OK, we've all had to time to digest and cool off.  I wanted to cut through the 150-page thread to find out how we all feel about Stef Diggs as a player.  Forget the terms of the deal and all the rest of it, this is just where we stand on Diggs as a player.  I've listed 5 options that I pulled from the thread, read, or heard elsewhere, along with an Other option if I missed anything.

My opinion, Stef Diggs is a good receiver, possibly in decline.  He couldn't get us over the hump, but I have no hard feelings.  I don't think he's a Wall of Famer, and certainly not the best Bills WR ever (surprising number of those in the 150+ thread, but Andre Reed says hi).  I'd invite him back as a legend of the game, but maybe 5+ years down the road.  Flame away!

Brandon Beane decided to light another $3M on fire to get Stef Diggs out of town when we have like 1 WR on the roster has me between “good riddance” and “time to move on”

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m closest to A, but it’s a little too aggressive for how I feel. 

I was on his side at first (post-CIN).  I think he might have some valid annoyances with this team/coach/QB.

But then his play didn’t match his mouth, he fell flat in the playoffs… again… and went right back to his cryptic nonsense, while forcing us to eat 31M in dead cap.   

Let’s just say I’m over it, been over it, glad he’s gone.  🤡 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Diggs the player was in decline IMO, and I thought they'd get 1 more season out of him before making this move purely due to his cap hit.

I think Diggs the person became enough of a pain in the ass that Beane decided the extra 3M cap hit was worth it to get him out of the locker room NOW. I suspect he's burned enough bridges behind closed doors that he won't be asked back to represent the team in any meaningful fashion in the future, and I kinda doubt he'd want to anyway.

I wouldn't say I have any particular hard feelings, but I was one of the people that downplayed his bull####. Obviously, I was wrong, and as a result I don't think I'd want to see him back in the future representing the team in any meaningful fashion after this exit. I doubt I'm alone in that.

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good riddance...

Without the stupid extension it would have been a fond farewell, best of luck after last season.

Guaranteeing  him all that money and then having him act like such a selfish #######, forcing a big drain on this season changes my attitude to ***** you,  gtfoh.

He should be pelted with rotten fruit if he ever returns.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Mixed emotions but definitely will look back on his time here fondly.

Positives -  The most productive player over a four year stretch in Bills history that helped Josh Allen become an elite quarterback.  One of my all time favorite players to watch.  Artistry in his routes.  Great personality.  Funny (flossing on the sidelines, waving goodbye to defenders after he smoked them, facial expressions, etc.).  Some iconic plays that will forever be etched in my memory.  My favorite touchdown celebration of all time when he told the NE fans to eff off which was somewhat of a catharsis after them dominating us for so long.  Helped turn a boring offense with an exciting quarterback into a high flying offense with an even better exciting quarterback.

Negatives - Production tailed off when we needed it most the last two seasons.  Playoff game disappointments.  The whole end to the Bengals game including him running from the media after the game.  I think he made a lot of Bills fans that defended his passive aggressive antics (social media and real life) as nothing feel like fools or suckers when he did force his way out.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

I’m closest to A, but it’s a little too aggressive for how I feel. 

I was on his side at first (post-CIN).  I think he might have some valid annoyances with this team/coach/QB.

But then his play didn’t match his mouth, he fell flat in the playoffs… again… and went right back to his cryptic nonsense, while forcing us to eat 31M in dead cap.   

Let’s just say I’m over it, been over it, glad he’s gone.  🤡 

I agree with all of this, but I'll add that he had his own nonsense going on last year and he was a tiresome distraction to a lot of people in the building.  Death by a signifiant number of paper cuts.  I feel like I'm constantly getting new stories about this guy.  It was time for him to go. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think that the choices are tough because he can be a few of those things. He was one of the best WRs in football for a few years. He’s a declining talent now. He became a headache. He should be on the WOF at some point (despite a short career here). 

• Like (+1) 2

He is a player in decline. How much remains to be seen.

Last year we saw some things out of him we really haven't seen before. The drops. Not just against KC but he had a lot by his standards during the year. Lack of concentration? Declining skills? We will see. 

He also took himself out in some key spots last year. He didn't take himself out as much as some make it out to be. However some of the places he did (such as some key 3rd downs) was surprising for a guy that "wants to win" more than anyone ever in the human race (as his supporters make it out to be).

IMO, he was either hurt or had checked out. And though he had some injuries I believe it was more the former than the latter. 

We'll see how he does this year. I'm betting he doesn't crack 1,000 yards 

• Like (+1) 3

He has been a very good player for the Bills. Like everyone else I could do without the drama. At the same time, he is 30 going on 31 and maybe slowing down. It was the right time to move on from him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Those who think he's declining, what do you think his stats will be this year? He's consistently been a 100+ catch 1,000+ yards guy for many years now.

He's also been a 150-160 target guy in Buffalo. I don't think he sniffs that in Houston. With Dell, Collins and Shultz also in the pass game, decline or not his target share will likely drop. 

If healthy I see more of a 75-80 catch, 750-850 yard season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Seems odd to ask "how do you feel about the player" and then have an option to vote for his character. When you ask about "the player" it seems like we should be asking about what happens between the hash marks not the locker room. 

Anyways, there has to be some middle ground between "cancer" and "GOAT". It feels like "Wall of Fame", "Bills Legend", and "Best Bills WR ever" are nearly identical. 

The player is on pace to go into the "Hall of Very Good" not the HoF. 

The Bills have not been very good in a long time so the "Best Bills WR ever" crowd isn't very big. But he is a full standard deviation below Andre Reed and James Lofton. Not even in the same class. I think Diggs likely projects a career out similar to Chad Johnson. I do think Ocho Cinco was a better receiver at his peak but with much worse QB play. 

Diggs is fine. He may have one or two very good to great years left in the tank. We might wine here and there about missing him in the offense. But the BIlls were never going to take a $30M per year cap hit for the next 4 years to keep him on the roster. I am not sure having him on the roster for $30M each for the next two is work it. Based on the WR trade market this year it looks like they got good return and traded him when his value was high. 

He is likely going to bounce around on $12-15M deals for a while like OBJ does. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Wish I could vote for more than one.

Declining talent AND Good receiver for me.

the OP definitely blurs today vs overall as well we the player vs the man 

he’s been a great on field player 3 of 4 years 

I think he will be remembered More like a hired hand than a beloved bill

he will be more TO than Fred or Kyle 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He is a player in decline. How much remains to be seen.

Last year we saw some things out of him we really haven't seen before. The drops. Not just against KC but he had a lot by his standards during the year. Lack of concentration? Declining skills? We will see. 

He also took himself out in some key spots last year. He didn't take himself out as much as some make it out to be. However some of the places he did (such as some key 3rd downs) was surprising for a guy that "wants to win" more than anyone ever in the human race (as his supporters make it out to be).

IMO, he was either hurt or had checked out. And though he had some injuries I believe it was more the former than the latter. 

We'll see how he does this year. I'm betting he doesn't crack 1,000 yards 

This ^^^

I also believe that where Dorsey had caved to the feed Diggs for the sake of his ego game plan, I think Brady was the opposite. I think Brady told Josh to go with the open man, whomever that may be. 

I also think Diggs still cracks 1,000 yards this year. When you average that out, it's a shade under 60 yards per contest. I think he will manage that. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Diggs seemed like a different guy after Hamlin nearly expired on the field in Cincinnati, it really seemed to affect him both as a player, as a teammate and as a man.

I voted he can come back as a legend of the game, probably after Josh is gone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Diggs with Buffalo was exactly what we saw, a real good receiver, but has been becoming more injury prone, which diminished his impact over the later part of this past season and the post season the last couple of years.
   It is what it is, imo he had a conflict of interest with the HC and OC and maybe even some of his teammates, and employed similar tactics as he did in Minnesota, and made himself an unattractive team member to get himself traded to a different team.
   And so the cycle of Diggs behavior starts again with a third team, just a matter of time before he is waived/cut etc in Houston. No matter though, he will be replaced like all players are sooner or later. Cycle of life…, 

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs had one real issue…his obsession with winning.  I think his desire to win and how he wears it on his sleeve gets misunderstood greatly with Diggs.  He is not the Diva “me first” WR who cares more about his stats than winning that some fans and media try and make him out to be.  

The real issue with Diggs is quite simple.  He knows he is on the back part of his career and his window for a Super Bowl is closing fast as a player.  And he has lost faith that Buffalo can get over the hump before he is done.  

I have no doubt he genuinely loved his time in Buffalo in terms of the fans, experience, his teammates, etc.  But I also have no doubt he sees the team in a mini rebuild mode and he had no desire to risk his last couple years of being at the top of his game on a team looking at the potential of taking a step back with this much roster turnover this season when it was already not a team getting over the hump to begin with.  

I won’t say he is in “Decline”, I mean even with lower stats back half of last year, plenty of time he was wide open and beating his man and Josh missed the throw or had just gone elsewhere.  His stats didn’t go down because he wasn’t getting open, they went down because we ran more and spread the ball around more.  But Father Time is undefeated, so there may be a slight decline or one coming soon, but I think Diggs is still a good WR1 right now with still some of the best feet and routes in the game.  

So I think he is a legend of the game player in the future, I think it should be more a “mutual parting of the ways” scenario rather than a bitter split.  Not sure he makes it into the Bills Wall of Famer category only being here 4 years and not finishing his career here or winning a SB, but also wouldn’t rule it out either.  

No hard feelings from me, more of a I think it’s good for both sides scenario in my mind.  Diggs gets his move to an ascending team and Bills have no more Diggs questions all season and Allen can spread the ball around which is what he does when he is at his best.

I can’t wait though for Allen to remind Diggs that Allen “Is him.” when we beat them when we face them this season.

• Like (+1) 2

I could have gone with option A, as I really can't stand players who are self-centered drama queens.  But I went with B as I know what he did in many games here was truly special at times, just not when it mattered the most, and that goes all the way back to season 1 in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

All of the accolades and criticisms directed at him, he earned.  A talented diva who's act had worn thin.  Good luck in Houston, Lil' Luke.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Diggs had one real issue…his obsession with winning.  I think his desire to win and how he wears it on his sleeve gets misunderstood greatly with Diggs.  He is not the Diva “me first” WR who cares more about his stats than winning that some fans and media try and make him out to be.  

The real issue with Diggs is quite simple.  He knows he is on the back part of his career and his window for a Super Bowl is closing fast as a player.  And he has lost faith that Buffalo can get over the hump before he is done.  

I have no doubt he genuinely loved his time in Buffalo in terms of the fans, experience, his teammates, etc.  But I also have no doubt he sees the team in a mini rebuild mode and he had no desire to risk his last couple years of being at the top of his game on a team looking at the potential of taking a step back with this much roster turnover this season when it was already not a team getting over the hump to begin with.  

I won’t say he is in “Decline”, I mean even with lower stats back half of last year, plenty of time he was wide open and beating his man and Josh missed the throw or had just gone elsewhere.  His stats didn’t go down because he wasn’t getting open, they went down because we ran more and spread the ball around more.  But Father Time is undefeated, so there may be a slight decline or one coming soon, but I think Diggs is still a good WR1 right now with still some of the best feet and routes in the game.  

So I think he is a legend of the game player in the future, I think it should be more a “mutual parting of the ways” scenario rather than a bitter split.  Not sure he makes it into the Bills Wall of Famer category only being here 4 years and not finishing his career here or winning a SB, but also wouldn’t rule it out either.  

No hard feelings from me, more of a I think it’s good for both sides scenario in my mind.  Diggs gets his move to an ascending team and Bills have no more Diggs questions all season and Allen can spread the ball around which is what he does when he is at his best.

I can’t wait though for Allen to remind Diggs that Allen “Is him.” when we beat them when we face them this season.

100%

Thank you.

This over the top besmirching of Diggs after he leaves by the Mafia has been pathetic. Really reminds me that the fanbase peaked in 2021 as well. Since then we've become nothing but over-entitled, miserable pricks. We can go on a 6 game win streak and have the most miserable time.\

I'm with you. The team didnt accomplish enough for him to get on the Wall of Fame in just 4 short years. But he absolutely should be a legend who is welcomed back in Buffalo any and every time.

I wish him well (expect when we play him). Onward and Upward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

A jackass.

There's a good argument he's declining a bit.

I bet he's over 1200 with the Texans this year and that his regression bites harder a year or two after that. 

I don't think we had a choice. And down the road we'll be OK. But this will hurt a lot in the short run.

But one of the main reasons everybody wants an elite QB is because with one you don't need a true #1. Look at Mahomes the last two years. The overwhelming majority of SB champions didn't have an elite receiver. Good ones. But Josh can do this with hitting a bunch of different guys, as Mahomes did.

Still, this will hurt, particularly in the short run.

• Agree 1

Ideally, I'd like a choice half way between choice #1 and choice #2.

I don't know for sure he was a 'cancer' but I do have a feeling he wasn't GOOD for other players other than himself...and personally I'm not a fan of the flashy/big celebration/social media posting players (I'm more comfortable with the 'do your job' and 'act like you've been there before' guys.)  I for sure think he is a declining talent.

• Like (+1) 1