Diggs traded to Texans for picks

6 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

Or you could expand your thought process and think long term.  

I would take the Rams one SB win and not making the playoffs over losing in the Division round three years in a row.

People are brainwashed with Beane and McD BS on sustained success.  The NFL is a win now at all costs league.  And this regime blew our best chances.  Josh could break down like Cam Newton any moment with the way he plays.  Like Apollo Creed said, there is no tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am thinking that perhaps I'm going against the grain with my opinion. I have been very tough on McDermott but my initial reaction to this trade is positive but with a caveat.

If he dedicates the early picks to WRs and OTs, I think it was a good move. I don't think that Diggs is getting better, and a #2 is frankly a bit more than I expected. This draft appears to be loaded with receivers and OL, and now is the time to focus more on the offense and these positions specifically.

The caveat? If McDermott drafts safeties, corners and other defenders with the early picks we will be heading right back to the Levy/Jauron days and lose football games. I truly hope this doesn't happen but again, at this point I support the trade.

Jmo.

Only difference is McD has a QB where those Levy/Jauron teams never figured that part out.  Of course, it was a different era and this team is better resourced financially, but the HC who runs the show is as much defensive focused as Jauron ever was.  

Some are definitively concluding that with this trade Buffalo just has to go WR in RD1.   I'm not in that boat because they used their top pick last year on a flex TE, and 5 of 7 RD1 picks on defense before that.  I very much could see McD getting his way again and grabbing another DB.  And like his predecessor DJ, it's what he knows and feels comfortable with.  What he doesn't understand nor wants to is how to build a competent NFL offense around a franchise QB, who others have noted, has his flaws.     

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, london_bills said:

What was yesterday's tweet? I can only see old ones on X

Some posted that whilst Josh benefited from having a top receiver, Diggs wasn’t essential to his success. Diggs responded with, “You sure about that?”

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

HOMER!!!!! (I've been told that having a positive opinion of Josh Allen as a person makes me a jock-sniffing homer).

no that would have been Edmunds or Poyer in the past.  McD currently

Josh is appropriate for all adulation...

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm perfectly OK with moving Diggs.  I'm also perfectly OK with Beane staying at 28 and picking the best WR available on his draft board at that point.  I'm hopeful AD Mitchell is still there.  Beane's clear goal this off-season was to get younger and cheaper while staying competitive both short and long-term.  This deal is a huge step in that direction.  I graded the deal a "C" initially, but the more I look at the team's construction and improved cap situation in 2024, 2025 and beyond, I think this deal is better that I initially beleived.

If we enter next season with Shakir and Mitchell on the boundary, Samuel, Kincaid and a healthy Knox in the middle, Shorter and Hollins as big receivers, and Cook out of the back field we will have a very dynamic passing attack.  Admittedly, it may take a few games for the players to acclimate.  However given that list of players, the offense will be younger, faster and have more deep potential.  Adding Shorter, Hollins and Mitchell to the receiving group, will also give Josh 5 big targets to throw to.  

Last season Kincaid caught 80.2% of his targets, Cook 81.5, and Shakir 86.7.   The departed receivers: Diggs 66.9, Davis, 55.6, Harty 71.4 and Sherfield 50. Noticing a trend here?

Samuel was 68.1% last season, but with Brady as his coach, he caught 79.4% in 2020.  

As much as I don't like taking a $31 mill cap hit this season, getting $27.3 back in 2025 is a huge benefit of the deal.  

• Like (+1) 10

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I would take the Rams one SB win and not making the playoffs over losing in the Division round three years in a row.

People are brainwashed with Beane and McD BS on sustained success.  The NFL is a win now at all costs league.  And this regime blew our best chances.  Josh could break down like Cam Newton any moment with the way he plays.  Like Apollo Creed said, there is no tomorrow.

Then maybe he needs to adjust his style somewhat

48 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I don't know if the rest of the math in this table is right but Diggs had 578 receiving yards, 62 receptions, and 99 targets during this span (last 12 games including playoffs).  JoeMa is just a little bit completely off the mark here.  I highly doubt everything in this tweet.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00/gamelog/2023/advanced/

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

I think this will end badly for the Texans when Diggs starts pouting after realizing he is #2 or #3 on their depth chart. He is going to be a distraction for their excellent young QB. 

We will see how long Ryans puts up with his attitude. Imo, Ryans will be swifter than McDermott to impose discipline 

I don't think that's how it'll play out at all. Just like when he left the Vikings, he kept his head down & stayed quiet the whole time.

He doesn't take shots in the media, and all his teammates always speak highly of him. I think he sees the Texans as a better up & coming team and wants to win.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I don't think that's how it'll play out at all. Just like when he left the Vikings, he kept his head down & stayed quiet the whole time.

He doesn't take shots in the media, and all his teammates always speak highly of him. I think he sees the Texans as a better up & coming team and wants to win.

say what?

• Haha (+1) 1

Considering his age and how badly his production fell-off the end of last year (not to mention the never-ending drama around his Twitter posts)... I really have no problem with Stefon Diggs getting traded.  

The part that confuses is me is the compensation.  We get a 2nd Round Pick... but not until next year.  We do save some cap from his contract... but also next year, while taking on a big dead-cap hit now.  This adds up as a team willing to get worse in 2024, in exchange for the opportunity to be better in 2025.  It doesn't look like a team hoping to compete for a Super Bowl again.

Most of the moves Beane made over the last month I understand (Tre White, Jordan Poyer, Gabe Davis).  These are all losses we could afford to lose and still field a contending team.  But the Mitch Morse release (just when the O-Line was finally getting set) and the Diggs trade make me question if our GM is just punting away this season, and hoping to reload for the future.

Maybe there will be some follow-up moves in the coming weeks (maybe trading for Justin Jefferson or Brandon Aiyuk).  Maybe the plan is to trade-up for one of the Top 3 receivers.  But as things sit right now, it's a depressing downturn.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

I was a huge Diggs fan while he was here but I’m 100% on board with the trade.

When we got Diggs, the story from the Vikings was the fact that he was a loud mouthed diva.  And when he arrived the Vikings fans looked so wrong.  Then something changed and he knew he couldn’t be a loud mouthed diva twice.  So instead he turned into a passive aggressive cryptic twitter user.

Him not telling his brother to shut up, him posting cryptic nonsense, playing games at training camp.  I’ve always felt it was wrong, and I won’t miss any of it.  I’ll miss the hell out of the fresh faced guy that arrived here and turned into an elite WR while Josh turned into an elite QB.

I have no doubt the Texans are going to get an older version of the same guy we got from the Vikings.  He’s going to give 110%, say the right things, do the right things, and be the best teammate you can ask for.  But you’ll only get that for so long.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Chugga said:

I was a huge Diggs fan while he was here but I’m 100% on board with the trade.

When we got Diggs, the story from the Vikings was the fact that he was a loud mouthed diva.  And when he arrived the Vikings fans looked so wrong.  Then something changed and he knew he couldn’t be a loud mouthed diva twice.  So instead he turned into a passive aggressive cryptic twitter user.

Him not telling his brother to shut up, him posting cryptic nonsense, playing games at training camp.  I’ve always felt it was wrong, and I won’t miss any of it.  I’ll miss the hell out of the fresh faced guy that arrived here and turned into an elite WR while Josh turned into an elite QB.

I have no doubt the Texans are going to get an older version of the same guy we got from the Vikings.  He’s going to give 110%, say the right things, do the right things, and be the best teammate you can ask for.  But you’ll only get that for so long.

I don't think he could handle Josh being such a mega star. It's fine for Steph when he's the center of attention. If he's not he starts to behave in ways to get the attention back on him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

13 years of no playoffs (as soon as they get eliminated this season).  A record.  And if you watch NHL and pay attention, it is sickening how many ex sabres are doing well elsewhere.  How could they not stink.

Las Vegas went from nonexistent to 5 playoff appearances in 7 seasons, including 2 Stanley finals and a Cup win.

Sabres have been completely irrelevant since Golisano unloaded them.

7 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I think this will end badly for the Texans when Diggs starts pouting after realizing he is #2 or #3 on their depth chart. He is going to be a distraction for their excellent young QB. 

We will see how long Ryans puts up with his attitude. Imo, Ryans will be swifter than McDermott to impose discipline 

I really like Nico Collins from what I've seen.  

It could go the other way - Diggs could "return to the feast" with a true #1 WR ahead of him taking off the heat

14 hours ago, mjt328 said:

The part that confuses is me is the compensation.  We get a 2nd Round Pick... but not until next year.  We do save some cap from his contract... but also next year, while taking on a big dead-cap hit now.  This adds up as a team willing to get worse in 2024, in exchange for the opportunity to be better in 2025.  It doesn't look like a team hoping to compete for a Super Bowl again.

Beane was just on the news here and his statement was Josh was aware of the possibility of the trade but was not consulted or informed of the trade until after it was over.  Also he made the statement the trade was made in the "long term best interest of the Bills".

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, mjt328 said:

Considering his age and how badly his production fell-off the end of last year (not to mention the never-ending drama around his Twitter posts)... I really have no problem with Stefon Diggs getting traded.  

Most of the moves Beane made over the last month I understand (Tre White, Jordan Poyer, Gabe Davis).  These are all losses we could afford to lose and still field a contending team.  But the Mitch Morse release (just when the O-Line was finally getting set) and the Diggs trade make me question if our GM is just punting away this season, and hoping to reload for the future.

Maybe there will be some follow-up moves in the coming weeks (maybe trading for Justin Jefferson or Brandon Aiyuk).  Maybe the plan is to trade-up for one of the Top 3 receivers.  But as things sit right now, it's a depressing downturn.

This is where I’m at too. This is a GM that knows his roster isn’t good enough to win a SB and needs to rebuild. And that’s pathetic when you have a top 5 QB. But that’s where we are when you blow draft picks on guys that aren’t good enough and don’t get your qb legit weapons. 

The fact that they got rid of Morse is what upset me the most. Our o line has sucked forever and then you switch it up? You’re just creating more holes in an already thin roster. 

I’m good with trading Diggs. The guy no showed every playoff game. He was a ghost in every single elimination game. But now you have to trust beane to do the right thing instead of doing what I think he’ll do and grab a DL or CB with our first rounder. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Trading for Justin Jefferson??? HUH???😂😂

If the Bills held onto Diggs for another year, and he performed similarly like he did the last half of last year, would they still have been able to acquire a future 2nd Rnd Pick ????  Diggs value appears to be depreciating in value, and so maybe now was the time to sell as high as possible. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

I know many are down on the compensation but you got to maybe realize that league wide the word is out that Diggs has hit the wall and it's only slowly going to go downhill from here. Tough pill right now, but having 27 million to play with next year is going to feel real good. Answer that, Miller's contract may be coming off the books too depending what happens with him.....mo money!!! In conclusion, it may take a little while to get the newcomers on the same page but if we hit on the right picks I don't necessarily see this is a take a step back year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't know if the rest of the math in this table is right but Diggs had 578 receiving yards, 62 receptions, and 99 targets during this span (last 12 games including playoffs).  JoeMa is just a little bit completely off the mark here.  I highly doubt everything in this tweet.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00/gamelog/2023/advanced/

Shakir's numbers are way off too.  

Shakir went 611 yards, 41 receptions, on 48 targets.

JoeMa is drunk.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I think they finally pulled the trigger when they realized the pouting that would go on after drafting the heir apparent in the first, even waiting until 28.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You sound like the sort of Sabres fan who actually thought trading Eichel and Reinhart was a good idea, or that they were somehow part of any problem with the team.

A pox on your family for a thousand generations!

Okay…If Diggs wasn’t a problem, then why did BB trade him and take on the massive dead cap hit for 2024…especially after losing Gabe Davis to FA?  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

It looks like someone added up YBC not yards...

Still, a 48 yard per game average over the final 12 games is no where near #1 wr production.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

He wants to be the number 1 in targets and is an attention seeker. He won plenty in Buffalo but that didn't stop his antics. 

Texans are a good and upcoming team and imo, he provides experience but won't be a needle mover for them 

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I really like Nico Collins from what I've seen.  

It could go the other way - Diggs could "return to the feast" with a true #1 WR ahead of him taking off the heat

A tiger doesn't change his stripes. We will see but I wouldn't bet on Diggs suddenly becoming a team player. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

My point was, roster building is easier when all your money isn’t going to a franchise QB. 

We shall see, but I still take the Bills as a whole, and I respect what they are doing in Houston. The Diggs deal doesn’t move my needle much. I want to get younger, cheaper and on the proper trajectory. 

Well, the original implication is that Houston's also building around Stroud, whereas we got Allen, made building around Allen secondary to McD building out his pet D to #1/2/4 standards.  That would all be fine and dandy if the D didn't play like the 25th ranked D come playoff time, and Allen had some real help without spending $96 for four, ... rather three years, for a WR.  

We've taken a nearly completely opposite approach.  We'll see what happens, but also paramount to my point is that the outcome of the @ Houston game will either validate or invalidate our and conversely their approach, generally speaking.  

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, FLFan said:

Beane was not the GM in Carolina so I am not sure what the comparison is.  

That’s fair, I forget Beane wasn’t the GM in Carolina, that’s on me. I do however see striking similarities in the construction of the Cam Newton led Panthers and this Bills team. 

7 hours ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

Great no WR1! Great job. Sorry Diggs I don't blame you for wanting out now. Hope you kill it with a real franchise. Hey Houston you scored a top 5 wide out for peanuts. Now we have cap space to do something stupid. 

Name should be “SometimesBillsFan”

15 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I think they finally pulled the trigger when they realized the pouting that would go on after drafting the heir apparent in the first, even waiting until 28.  

Completely agree. The time was now. 3 straight years of playoff disappearances. Turns 31 in November and all the diva drama. Getting someone to give us a 2nd is gold.  We'll survive and it wouldn't surprise me to see Beane trade up for Odunze or Thomas.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Jauronimo is correct and Joe Marino's stats for Diggs at least, are incorrect. 

The bottom line as Kyle Brandt pointed out, is that the Bills saw a lot of receiving talent walk.  There are positions where I don't doubt Beane to identify talent and McDermott and staff to coach it up - like DB and S.

There are also positions where historically, his track record is more mixed - like WR. 

Can the heading of the thread be updated to be accurate: "Diggs and picks traded to Texans for second round pick" ?

Just now, Beck Water said:

There are also positions where historically, his track record is more mixed - like WR. 

Mixed is charitiable.  But I think Beane is better than you give him credit for.  Davis and Diggs 2024 performances might illustrate one way or the the other. 

Diggs cost a 1st (and change) to acquire.

His cost has been $19.5M per year for 4 years AAV.

Now Beane gets a 2nd back.

Diggs did his job but he is not worth pushing $30M a year for future years.  

If I look at it that way, it's a wash and time for someone younger to take it farther.

Everything has it's time and Beane no doubt thoughts it's now.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I don't think he could handle Josh being such a mega star. It's fine for Steph when he's the center of attention. If he's not he starts to behave in ways to get the attention back on him. 

Everything seems to point to a major distraction being removed.  Addition by subtraction.

You can't have a ball hog ragging on your QB during a game. I can see Allen forcing the ball Diggs way just to shut him up while the other receivers go through the motions on plays because they know the cry baby is going to get passified.

Playing hockey we had a puck hog that never passed the puck and the coaches ignored the problem.  Other players open for a shot or in better position to make a play began to understand the situation and just stopped skating.  Why waste your energy.  When he got moved down the bench our team became competitive.

We'll see what happens with the Bills but I'm seeing this as a positive and I bet Josh has a sound full night of sleep tonight knowing the stress and strain of dealing with a diva of over.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1