who is a must have on this list of Bills UFA?

Coldfronts

• Coldfronts changed the title to who is a must have on this list of Bills UFA?

Jones, Jackson, Dodson, Epenesa are the “musts” in my book.

Rapp, Edward’s, Lewis, Matakevich, Johnson are “would be nice”…the rest of ‘em can bugger off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Must have?  None

really would like back… D. Jones, Floyd, T. Johnson 

I think Jones is close to must have back. Changes our defense. Agree on prioritizing Floyd and Johnson. Would also not mind Edwards or Jackson back as both seem to have filled key back-up roles admirably.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

Jones, Jackson, Dodson, Epenesa are the “musts” in my book.

Rapp, Edward’s, Lewis, Matakevich, Johnson are “would be nice”…the rest of ‘em can bugger off.

I think Dodson is gonna get at least 5m+ a year.  I don’t know if we’re gonna be able to pay the man his worth anymore

• Thank you (+1) 1

DQ Jones is a must.  

lots of good guys I’d like back but I’d only take them back on Cheapo deals.  I feel like Shaq Lawson would be an easy cheap resign, whereas espenesa might get a big deal.   Dodson was great but Williams filled in nicely and we get Milano back.  The CBs are depth guys, can’t pay big money for them.  Loved Ty Johnson but I’m not spending big money Jon a backup RB.  We also have Hines coming back eventually/allegedly 

D. Jones

Dodson

Ty 

I like Jackson but he can be replaced.  

Everyone else is a jag and Gabe Davi$ is going to get paid - I can see him on the Rams who won’t have to pay Puka for 3 years.  

Which sounds like Gabe’s contract length if I had to guess.  

McVay loves guys that can block.  

Dodson stepped up in 2023 … but I think he is likely gone

Someone will probably pay him more than the Bills will,,,,but even at his current $2mil… Beane might penny pinch and elevate D Williams and Spector up the LB list  and spend a 6th/7th on a new guy who can be the next Spector that gets developed and can play teams …. If they are confident Milano is fully recovered and will be there Week 1 then I expect them to go that way…

I would try to bring back Jackson again personally… guy always does a job when needed … but it would need to be at his current $2mil and he might try and get more money elsewhere this year as he ain’t getting any younger 

Rapp started slow .. but was playing well by the end of the season…. I would throw a bit more money at him and get him try to stay one more year …

DL is threadbare and they likely need Jones back for 1 more year 

Edwards contributed and would be another one I would bring back if similar money …

Floyd is likely gone to chase more money…. AJE is a tough call I go back and forth on …played ok first half of the season but was invisible by the end …. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't see any 'musts'. A few I'd like to see back if the price is right but would be OK with letting walk.

Jones if the price is right. Had a good year but old.

Floyd says he's chasing the money so likely ends up out of our price range. He really fell of a cliff in the 2nd half so I'm not ready to pay up.

Dane is a really solid depth player. Low ceiling, high floor. I'd keep him near league min but the team has shown an ability to get productive play out of late round/UDFA corners.

Dodson made a lot of progress this year but sort of the same deal as Dane - depth player at a position they've proven they can scout and develop

I like Edwards as a 6th OL but it depends how much Anderson has developed. I think he's got potential.

I'd bring back Rapp and Lewis on the cheap to prevent excessive turnover in the secondary. I'm assuming Poyer and Hyde are gone.

I like Ty Johnson. He showed juice every opportunity.

The biggest thing I want them to do is be strategic in who they sign in FA to try and ensure comp picks for Gabe and Epenessa.

• Agree 1

None of them are must haves. I would bring back DQ just because he knows the system and we need bodies at the position. But I would set a hard ceiling of $5 million. If some other team wants to give him more, let them. He's 32 coming off a major injury.

Dane Jackson would be next on my list because I expect us to cut White and Jackson has filled in well in spots. Again, we will need a body at the position if nothing else. But he was one of the worst players on the field against the Chiefs so I won't lose sleep if he walks.

Truth is we will need to fill the bottom of our 53 man roster with rookies, UDFAs included. We don't have enough cap space to waste money on underperforming free agents like we have every year since Beane got here. Guys like Dodson, Jackson, Lewis, they're good values on rookie contracts. Anything more and they're overpaid.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll be surprised if any of Jones, Epenesa, Floyd, Dodson, or Rapp return.  I don't think we can afford to retain any of them.  I'd like to see Epenesa and Dodson return but I'm not holding my breath.  I believe the Bills management likes Dorain Williams and will give him a shot at Dodson spot.  I also think the Bills uses their 3rd rd pick to get a Jones replacement.  

Well, we have to re-sign or replace starters at WR2, DE, DT, and FS.

I think we'll try and bring back Leonard Floyd and Daquan Jones for their familiarity. Floyd says he'll go where the money is. However, much like last year, I see a number of DE's above him that will get paid more. I think it's possible we meet somewhere between what he's hoping for and what we can realistically afford.

If not Floyd, it will be another Floyd like signing. A guy who overplayed their hand and has to accept less at the end of FA. I don't think we pay Epenesa what he'll cost. We'd have to Start him and I don't know if I'd have him play every down. And I could be wrong, but I don't think Jones is going to have a massive market either.

I think they represent the most we'll be spending. I see us bringing back Taylor Rapp, again because of his familiarity and again because he won't cost a lot. He'll prove to be insurance on the Draft Pick on Day 2 we hope to replace Hyde with and Poyer. Another low cost guy.

After that it will be small contracts for other DB's like Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis. Ty Johnson also won't cost much as the RB market is bad and he's an RB2/RB3.

But that's about it. Everything else will be covered in the Draft. Maybe we get lucky with a FA who overpriced their market and has to accept less to go along with Diggs, Rd 1 WR, Shakir, and 1 or 2 of Shorter, Hamler, and Isabella.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

55 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Dodson can "kick rocks", IMO. Would welcome Rapp back. 

I’d love to have Dodson back.  Considering Milano and Bernard have both been injured quite a bit in their career, he’s the perfect 3rd LB for our scheme.  Just don’t see why he’d want to come back.  He’s earned a change to start and make a name for himself.  

• Like (+1) 1

I would like to see Jones and Johnson back. Jones on a two year deal would be ideal. Johnson is a nice player but outside of Buffalo probably won't command much interest.  Hopefully Beane doesn't overpay for him. He can be easily replaced with a day 3 draft pick.

Edwards and Rapp would be in the next tier of guys to bring back. They will draft a safety for sure but Rapp gives them a nice 3rd safety option. Hamlin as the fourth safety and special teams guy would be ok for another year. 

I would help Epenesa drive to the airport.

Jackson, Dodson, and Davis are all good players but will be too expensive to keep. Hopefully they net a couple low round comp picks after these three leave.

Floyd on a discount would be nice. Hopefully the market for him will be slim.

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'll take anyone on that list that's cheap enough to keep.  We have to shed a lot of cap space, so anyone above 4m is on the block.

Gonna be an interesting off-season.  Will they try and right the cap a bit? Not an all out reset, but enough to fill out the roster with 2nd and 3rd tier guys?  I could see this happening.  Beane said himself the Bills are about 12 million behind expectations form the Covid reduction in cap.

Our lower tier guys will be signed.  As soon as they are above what the Bills are willing to pay, they aren’t coming back.  For example, if Daquan or Ty Johnson command a few bucks more than what the bills have earmarked, not happening.  Even though they may be instrumental to the team, they won’t keep spending above their means.  

Then again, restructure a bunch of contracts and kick the can down the road to deal with later because we are in the “window”?  I don’t see that happening. Beane seems like an honest dude and he’s said this off-season won’t be a spending frenzy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.