The Belichick thread

Simon

Bill is 71 years old. He has won 6 SB's as a HC and been a part of others as a DC. There's really nothing left for him to do or prove. I honestly think he's done. I don't think he'll coach again now that he didn't get the Falcons job. I think he ends up on TV somewhere doing pregame/post game work. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Bill is 71 years old. He has won 6 SB's as a HC and been a part of others as a DC. There's really nothing left for him to do or prove. I honestly think he's done. I don't think he'll coach again now that he didn't get the Falcons job. I think he ends up on TV somewhere doing pregame/post game work. 

He has something to prove. That he can win a Superbowl with another team. Similar to Tom Brady. 

If BB coaches even 2-3 years and wins a SB, he will ride off into the sunset and not have "he could only win with Brady" on his legacy

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

He has something to prove. That he can win a Superbowl with another team. Similar to Tom Brady. 

If BB coaches even 2-3 years and wins a SB, he will ride off into the sunset and not have "he could only win with Brady" on his legacy

You may feel that way, but he may not. I think he's done. 

Im not out on McD, we could do a LOT worse.  But I am also not all in on McD anymore either.  My view, is if we can get a perceived upgrade then I am all for it.  

First of all, for those who want a change just because they want some unproven OC because they FALSELY think that means the offense would be more aggressive...well that is just wrong.  McD has been one of the most aggressive HC's in football, he wants big plays, he wants potent passing attack, he goes for it on 4th down a lot, even in risky field position scenarios, he goes for the TD more than the FG and has OFTEN passed up FG attempts in Bass range to go for it on 4th and longer than 1 or 2 yards.  

Our offense is NOT conservative in any fashion.  Our defense was NOT conservative under McD this year.  So to just make a switch because you THINK the offense will be more aggressive...well odds are actually it will be less aggressive as many coaches are not nearly as aggressive as McD.  

So then why switch?  Well there is a case to be made that sometimes even good HC and teams just plateau.  Doesn't mean that HC isn't capable of getting to the SB and winning it, but sometimes, a change is just needed to rejuvenate and tweak the roster to get over the hump.  But that also means you NEED to hit on that next HC, and gambling on an unproven HC is a big risk for a team like ours that is right on the cusp.  

What to do at HC here then?  Well we saw our OC was an issue and the switch changed the whole course of the season.  So you either let McD come back with the right staff around him for the full season or you find a SURE UPGRADE which would be a proven SB winning coach.

For me...That would be Belichick.  If BB wanted to come here, I would say lets do it.  But if the option is to just go get some OC who is unproven as a HC, then forget it.  Because now we need to find a great DC as well because its NOT been the offense stalling in the playoffs, its been the defense that just can't do anything against KC in the playoffs despite holding them down in the regular season.  BB though is someone I feel a LOT more confident about putting a defensive gameplan out there to slow KC while our offense cooks.  

Otherwise...one more year of McD then hire BELICHICK next year because he sure doesn't look like he is coaching this season.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Repulsif said:

Andy Reid will retire after this year and Bill will take over the Chiefs for the next 10 years 

If that happens then that will extend the number of years the Bills never get past KC in a big spot.

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I asked ChatGPT to write me an article on why Belichick would be a good coach for the Buffalo BIlls. Here's what I got:

Title: "The Belichick Factor: Why Bill Belichick Would Be the Perfect Coach for the Buffalo Bills"

Introduction:

In the dynamic world of professional football, coaching decisions can shape the destiny of a team. The Buffalo Bills, a franchise with a storied history and passionate fan base, are perennial contenders in the NFL. As the team looks to solidify its position among the league's elite, one name emerges as a potential game-changer for the Bills: Bill Belichick. The legendary coach, with a plethora of achievements and a reputation for building successful teams, could be the missing piece to elevate the Buffalo Bills to new heights.

Proven Track Record:

Bill Belichick's coaching career is synonymous with success. During his tenure with the New England Patriots, he transformed the team into a dynasty, winning six Super Bowls and dominating the AFC East for nearly two decades. Belichick's ability to adapt to changing circumstances, devise effective game plans, and consistently produce winning seasons is unmatched in the modern era. His proven track record is precisely what the Buffalo Bills need to take the next step in their journey to championship glory.

Defensive Expertise:

One of Belichick's greatest strengths lies in his defensive acumen. Throughout his career, he has crafted some of the league's most formidable defensive units. The Buffalo Bills, known for their defensive prowess, would benefit immensely from Belichick's strategic mind and ability to mold a top-tier defense. His expertise could amplify the effectiveness of an already talented Bills defense, turning them into an unstoppable force capable of shutting down even the most high-powered offenses in the NFL.

Quarterback Development:

As the quarterback is the linchpin of any successful team, Belichick's history of developing and maximizing the potential of quarterbacks is another compelling reason why he could be the ideal fit for the Buffalo Bills. Whether it's grooming young talent or refining the skills of seasoned veterans, Belichick has a knack for getting the best out of his signal-callers. With the talented Josh Allen under center, the prospect of Belichick's guidance could see Allen reach new heights and further solidify his place among the league's elite quarterbacks.

Discipline and Culture:

Belichick is renowned for instilling a culture of discipline, accountability, and professionalism within his teams. This culture has been a key factor in the sustained success of the New England Patriots. The Buffalo Bills, with a roster filled with young and talented players, could greatly benefit from Belichick's emphasis on accountability and attention to detail. His ability to create a winning culture could be the catalyst that propels the Bills to consistent success.

AFC East Dynamics:

Having spent decades in the AFC East, Belichick possesses an intimate knowledge of the division's dynamics, rivalries, and challenges. This familiarity would provide the Buffalo Bills with a strategic advantage, as Belichick's insights into the strengths and weaknesses of divisional opponents could prove invaluable in crafting game plans and making roster decisions.

Conclusion:

While coaching changes are always a topic of speculation, the idea of Bill Belichick leading the Buffalo Bills is not merely wishful thinking—it's a realistic and compelling proposition. With his unparalleled coaching pedigree, defensive expertise, quarterback development skills, commitment to discipline, and knowledge of the AFC East, Belichick could be the transformative figure the Buffalo Bills need to etch their name in NFL history. As the team seeks to build on its recent successes, bringing in a coach of Belichick's caliber may be the key to unlocking a new era of prosperity in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/26/2024 at 1:00 PM, extrahammer said:

The way the chips are falling the Bills now have leverage for him just as a coach and can shut down any GM leverage Belichick had before Atlanta made their decision. 

This is what I would like the Pegulas to consider. The problem is, would Belichick actually give up control over this aspect of his team? Even if he claimed he would? If Belichick would actually cede control of running the draft to a talented GM, and dedicate himself to tailoring plans to the talent given him, THEN I would be interested in having the conversation. 

And wouldn’t it be amazing if the man responsible for us losing our first Super Bowl was the one to get us our first win? That would go down in NFL lore.

On 1/26/2024 at 3:17 PM, Fan in Chicago said:

I don’t get this line of thinking.. which is very common. EVERY great coach won because of their QB… I can’t think of one GREAT HC who didn’t have a great QB with him. 

6 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I don’t get this line of thinking.. which is very common. EVERY great coach won because of their QB… I can’t think of one GREAT HC who didn’t have a great QB with him. 

We lost to a backup in SB XXV, and didn't Baltimore win a SB in 2000(?) with an average QB?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Steptide said:

There's no way a control freak like Bill would ever take a position coach job. You think he'd just let a guy like McDermott tell him what to do? I doubt it. 

And do you think McDermott would be comfortable with maybe the most famous and decorated NFL Head Coach of all time being under him on his staff? After any and every loss, fans and media would be pushing for Belichick to take over.

On 1/26/2024 at 3:14 PM, H2o said:

He pry wants to prove he can win a Super Bowl without Brady.  You know he hears that talk and at that age you want to cement your legacy.  He just needs a team that will let him do it his way.  I think he sits a year out and waits for a desperate owner with a franchise QB to give him full control.  Bears, Eagles, and maybe even the Giants (if they find a QB) come to mind.

8 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I always thought Joe Gibbs was extremely underrated.  Three Super Bowl wins with three different QB's is an amazing stat.

8 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Gruden with Brad Johnson.

Bilick with Dilfer

granted it was a long time ago, but those are two examples.

He would be great on tv if they got him doing an actual Xs abd Os show in longer format say on a Tuesday Night breaking down the weekend's key games. That would be absolute must see TV for anyone interested in the why and not just the what. 

If they try and shoehorn him in as an announcer of half time 2 sentence merchant it will be a disaster.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

It’s the Mumble Revolution! This should be interesting! Let’s see that clever and funny side we have heard rumors of. 

It's just like hip-hop, that mumble rap was all the rage a couple years ago... 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Not surprised I can see Amazon throwing a boatload of money at him to be part of Thursday Night Football or something. 

He would revolutionize media.. in that he'd freeze up in front of a mic and not say anything?

15 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, Joe Theismann, and Joe Flacco say Hi. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He would be great on tv if they got him doing an actual Xs abd Os show in longer format say on a Tuesday Night breaking down the weekend's key games. That would be absolute must see TV for anyone interested in the why and not just the what. 

If they try and shoehorn him in as an announcer of half time 2 sentence merchant it will be a disaster.

Pair him with Brady again that'd be kind of a funny very cheerful guy and a grump dynamic.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He would do a breakdown of the opponent every week for their team's youtube channel.  It was fairly superficial but it was interesting to hear him break down plays.

I think he would do well with this, but I agree, keep him off the pregame talk shows and out of the booth.  That's not his strong suit.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

This is the dude to revolutionize media?! 

He had so much electronics espionage equipment experience that he'll be predicting the plays before the ball is snapped.  He'll be sending Ernie Adams 50% of his weekly pay. 🤨

18 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Brady would have won Superbowls but you cannot deny that he won more Superbowls because of BB's coaching. I remember several close games which were won by your team due to tight game management 

Just now, tomur67 said:

With a Josh Allen led offense and a Belichick directed defense, the Bills would be unbeatable.

Never going to happen with McD making sure he has guys that will fall in line behind his decisions only but I’d be all about it as well, but only if they let Beane do the drafting and it’s Joshcentric 

• Disagree 1

McDermott would never hire him.

1. He would be intimidated by Bill. Bill is way better at being a HC/DC then Sean is.

2. He couldn't control him. If he tried Bill would probably tell him to F off. Why would Bill who has accomplished everything there is as HC/DC listen to someone who hasn't won squat.

3. Players would probably tune Sean out and just listen to Bill. Who would you listen to. A winner who knows what it takes to win a championship or someone who doesn't.

All of this is meaningless anyway. Bill isn't coming here. I don't know if Sean will remain the DC or hire someone else, but it won't be Bill.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Gregg said:

McDermott would never hire him.

1. He would be intimidated by Bill. Bill is way better at being a HC/DC then Sean is.

2. He couldn't control him. If he tried Bill would probably tell him to F off. Why would Bill who has accomplished everything there is as HC/DC listen to someone who hasn't won squat.

3. Players would probably tune Sean out and just listen to Bill. Who would you listen to. A winner who knows what it takes to win a championship or someone who doesn't.

All of this is meaningless anyway. Bill isn't coming here. I don't know if Sean will remain the DC or hire someone else, but it won't be Bill.

All of this.  On paper its a cool idea, but interpersonally it invites a lot of issues and McDermott making that move almost certainly signs his own pink slip

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.