Will Sherfield be better in the #2 role than Davis???

Gabe vs Sherfield   

197 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sherfield be better in the #2 role than Davis???

This probably could have been a joke or troll thread at some point this year, but I'm posting it because I absolutely think Sherfield will just be better than Gabe for the playoff run.

Great run blocker like Gabe.

Demonstrated the same sideline awareness Gabe has made himself famous for with that TD.

And that just leaves the question of the communication... well, Gabe has shown 4 years of catching passes from Allen hasn't done anything for his understanding of things like what route he should run on a zero Blitz, so I'll put my money on Sherfield and his veteran experience.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I say yes, even though Sherfield has had his share of blunders and disappearances this season. Gabe has just been a complete non-factor, so I don't think it takes much for Sherfield to outperform him. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's a significant factor. I hope this means more reps for Diggs/Shakiir/Kincaid/Knox.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I think it’s going to be more of the same - continued disappointment in the #2 role and Sherf Sr as more targets drift to Kincaid and Shakir. For what it’s worth I do not think Sherfield is a better WR than Gabe no, but also am not sure if it matters much 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

Honestly, I think Shakir could fill the role himself. I know most people would rather keep him in the slot, but I believe he could do the job as a #2

Basically Shakir is our #2 now and Kincaid #3. I'd advance Sherfield to #4.  Knox #5 outlet. That's my pecking order for the playoffs.  Sorry Gabe but I'm drastically reducing your snaps unless someone gets hurt.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Basically Shakir is our #2 now and Kincaid #3. I'd advance Sherfield to #4.  That's my pecking order for the playoffs.  Sorry Gabe but I'm drastically reducing your snaps unless someone gets hurt.

I couldn't agree with you more on reducing Gabe's snap count. Dude fell off quite fast

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I think it’s going to be more of the same - continued disappointment in the #2 role and Sherf Sr as more targets drift to Kincaid and Shakir. For what it’s worth I do not think Sherfield is a better WR than Gabe no, but also am not sure if it matters much 

If sherfield isn’t far above Davis in the passing game I think Davis will be missed…he’s a good run blocker.  Our rbs averaged 2.91 ypc tonight 

I hope Davis is able to play warts and all. Sure he drops some, but he also catches a lot and he's a good blocker.  Maybe Sherfield is too but he's a lot scrawnier than Gabe.  It's dance with who brung ya time.

If Gabe can't go, then yeah, Sherfield is the guy. Next man up.  I think he'll do alright.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

Honestly, I think Shakir could fill the role himself. I know most people would rather keep him in the slot, but I believe he could do the job as a #2

I also would like to see Shakir in the role.  Not sure his body size is suited to anything other than slot.  Don’t see him making the great sideline catches we have seen Gabe make.  Or disappear like Gabe has….

Gabe Davis is capable of having a big game that I just don’t think Trent is really capable of. I loved what Trent did stepping up in his revenge game but I am not sure this team is better off with him over Gabe.

That being said I think Shakir and the TE’s getting more snaps and targets is not a bad thing.

• Agree 2

Khalil Shakir looks like he could be Diggs' replacement if he doesn't return next season. Davis just isn't good enough to be a reliable #2.

I'm giving the nod to Shakir over Sherfield if the team's trying to line the next best WR up across from Diggs.

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Basically Shakir is our #2 now and Kincaid #3. I'd advance Sherfield to #4.  Knox #5 outlet. That's my pecking order for the playoffs.  Sorry Gabe but I'm drastically reducing your snaps unless someone gets hurt.

You are not understanding what people mean by WR2. 

It doesn't mean #2 in targets

4 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Khalil Shakir looks like he could be Diggs' replacement if he doesn't return next season. Davis just isn't good enough to be a reliable #2.

I'm giving the nod to Shakir over Sherfield if the team's trying to line the next best WR up across from Diggs.

Sorry, but you think Shakir can be a #1 WR? 

Diggs isn't going anywhere. He is still an elite WR. 

WR#2 played college football last month

• Agree 3

44 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Didn't suggest Diggs wasn't still an elite WR, but if there's any truth to these rumors he might not return, and yes, I do hope he finishes his career with Allen.

I don't see anything that suggest Khalil Shakir couldn't be a #1 WR. He can emerge if Davis remains out, and then it will become evident that he's the more consistent, reliable WR between himself and Davis. If Diggs didn't return and we moved forward with the current WR roster, I think Shakir would be Bills'

best WR.  

Honestly if Gabe is responsible for even HALF the miscommunication ints this board attributes to him, I don’t know how the Bills can justify continuing to keep him on the field when healthy. 

There’s just no excuse for a year 4 player who’s been in the same system with the same QB all his pro career to be routinely involved in blunders of this magnitude. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Gabe is better but I don't think we are missing a ton. Gabe is either always in the wrong spot or Josh is throwing to the wrong spot. Maybe just having a body there will be better than someone who is not where he's supposed to be

Probably not as many huge big games but I can see Sherfield more consistent with less 0 catch performances.

Gabe did have a huge block that sprung Khalil Shakir for a big game. He blocked a miami player into another and took out 2 players with one block. One of the best blocks by a WR ive ever seen.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Gabe Davis is capable of having a big game that I just don’t think Trent is really capable of. I loved what Trent did stepping up in his revenge game but I am not sure this team is better off with him over Gabe.

That being said I think Shakir and the TE’s getting more snaps and targets is not a bad thing.

To your point, his best game ever was in 2018, 5 catches for 77 yards. 

A better #2? No.

Will he be the outside WR that sends more focus to Shakir and Kincaid which is a very good thing, though. He’ll be the 4th/5th option which is suited for him. 

In 2 WR sets last night it was Diggs and Shakir, unless I’m mistaken. 

If he's more consistent and cuts down on the mistakes, I think he could be. Davis is more talented,  but it seems like an unusually high percentage of bad plays happen on passes in his direction,  including two more last night.  Maybe it's not all his fault,  but at the same time,  it's not working. 

Shakir, when given targets is the most efficient WR on this team.  Now the sample is small but give him more targets and see what he does.  I hope Gabe's healthy, but Shakir deserves a long look, the guy has been really good the last two months when targeted.

• Agree 1

I thought Sherfield was a good signing and that he'd have a larger role in the offense this year.  I don't blame his lack of production on a lack of talent; I think it's just a numbers game.  There's only 1 ball and you have to feed Diggs, Davis, Kincaid, Shakir, Knox, plus the Bills are running more this season.  That doesn't leave a lot of touches for Sherfield and Harty.  Sherfield stepped up big last night and if Davis is out next week, I think we'll see a little more of him.  I honestly can't say whether he'd be a better #2 than Davis, as the sample size of his play is just too small and he's never had that opportunity in the NFL.  I'd guess that based on his draft status and the fact that he's bounced around the league a little bit that he's less talented than Davis, so he would not be as good of a #2.

While I agree with the criticism of Davis for his drops, I don't agree with the heavy criticism for his lack of receptions in certain games.  The offense has to take what the defense gives it.  Some games Diggs is "quiet" and others Davis is quiet.  It depends on the flow of the game, the coverages, etc.  No one can question that Davis has had a number of big games for the Bills this season and over the course of his career.  He's also a glue guy and known as a very hard worker.  If he leaves the team, it's because of the salary cap.  I'm guessing he'll be able to make a lot more money - potentially life-changing money - somewhere other than the Bills.  If that's the case, I wish him well.

Edited by msw2112

1 hour ago, bouds said:

Shakir, when given targets is the most efficient WR on this team.  Now the sample is small but give him more targets and see what he does.  I hope Gabe's healthy, but Shakir deserves a long look, the guy has been really good the last two months when targeted.

100% agree. 

Allen and Shakir just seem to be linked at this phase. These Gabe communication issues need to end. 

Using the numbers ranking for receivers has always made no sense to me.

Our two best targets for the past month have been Shakir and Kincaid.   Everyone else is in the mix depending on defensive gameplan and what reads are hot for Josh.   Sherfield has been pretty inconsistent this season but he'll get some opportunities here.  Obviously Stef 5-8 targets per game.   

I thought they might want to activate Shorter for a limited role, and if one more guy goes down he's gonna be forced out there.   Would love to see him get some live reps in the second half of the Steelers game when we're up by three scores.

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

perhaps WR2 playing today! (unless it's MHJ, one can dream)   

9 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

I believe both Sherfield and Shakir can play inside and outside. Their versatility is part of their value add.

3 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

Honestly if Gabe is responsible for even HALF the miscommunication ints this board attributes to him, I don’t know how the Bills can justify continuing to keep him on the field when healthy. 

There’s just no excuse for a year 4 player who’s been in the same system with the same QB all his pro career to be routinely involved in blunders of this magnitude. 

For better or worse, this team is fiercely loyal to "their guys".  

We've had 0 production from Von but they keep trotting him out there until they finally shifted last week. 

Edited by Bruffalo

8 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Sherfield might be the only one of our receivers who can execute those pass plays where we immediately pass it wide to the receiver at the LOS and they charge forward. 

Sherfield had the worst catch% on the team.  

22 targets, 11 catches

50%

Also the worst yards-per both target and reception.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.