Is a future move to Safety possible for Tre White??

Special K

I’m not saying the Bills should do this now, but if the back to back serious injuries cause Tre to lose a step or two, would he be a candidate to move to Safety to extend his career??

The Bills will be moving on from Hyde and Poyer soon enough.....Tre is a great ball-hawk, but could he tackle well enough to be a Safety??

Thoughts??

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

Yeah.....this is a tough one. While he has nice ball skills, he is an atrocious tackler.  If you don't want to ever use him as a box safety, and you just want him patrolling the back end, I think he could probably do something like that.  But in today's NFL, you want safeties that can creep up and be that extra tackler in the box and he has just never shown that he is a good enough tackler to do that.  Would be a tough ask, I think, to have him convert unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

No, he's a horrible tackler

7 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Yeah.....this is a tough one. While he has nice ball skills, he is an atrocious tackler.  If you don't want to ever use him as a box safety, and you just want him patrolling the back end, I think he could probably do something like that.  But in today's NFL, you want safeties that can creep up and be that extra tackler in the box and he has just never shown that he is a good enough tackler to do that.  Would be a tough ask, I think, to have him convert unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Tre is scared of contact, wouldn’t work

Yeah, I was thinking tackling would be the issue.....its a shame how old and slow the Bills once dominant secondary has become.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He can safely make his way toward the exit and climb into the Brinks truck Beane gifted him. 

He earned his contract, the injuries are unfortunate. He was a top lock down corner befor Stinksgiving 2021

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I suggested this two years ago afyer the knee injury and got flamed. He actually was playing ok at CB this year.

My hunch is his career is over. Certainly over with the Bills. 

Ahhh Zach Wilson, Jimmy G & Sam Howells 3rd start. He struggled in camp

Nope. They can get out from under his contract after this season and they almost have to at this point. For the sake of our salary cap situation and for the sake of there being no logic in paying him what he's owed in the condition that he's in.

It's a sad situation but it's a no brainier business decision. The only way he returns is if they release him from his deal and then bring him back under a 1 year minimum, incentive laden deal as a try out to see if he even can play again.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

Tackling, willingness to chase and tackle, blasting forward to make tackles.

At safety, great ball skills are more useful than coverage ability. You run to a spot and play the ball. At CB, you run with you guy and deny his chances to get open. 

This is never going to happen. Time to move on with it. 

• Like (+1) 2

They should never again pay a premium contract or draft pick on corner.

They’ve well proven they can find bargain talent to fit the scheme and the TreD contract and Elam pick are just insult to injury. 

Hyde, Benford, Dane, Cam Lewis, Poyer,  Levi Wallace even Taron Johnson.  

hell going back even Josh Norman is an example. 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They should never again pay a premium contract or draft pick on corner.

They’ve well proven they can find bargain talent to fit the scheme and the TreD contract and Elam pick are just insult to injury. 

Hyde, Benford, Dane, Cam Lewis, Poyer,  Levi Wallace even Taron Johnson.  

hell going back even Josh Norman is an example. 

Only if they keep the current coaching staff. It’s them they finds value in DBs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Only if they keep the current coaching staff. It’s them they finds value in DBs.

Absolutely- if they can McDermott the defense likely needs a major makeover the entire back 7 is probably in question. There might be one of two other guys that could work with it as is. 

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

Getting White’s contract off the books >>>> Turning White into a safety 

I think there's a pretty fair chance he's offered to stay if he accepts a pay cut, much like Mitch Morse did I believe 2 seasons back. He very well may be open to it as he would not likely fetch too much in the open market coming off 2 serious injuries. If we can bring him back and his rehab goes well he would possibly be a very solid #2 CB at a reduced rate with Rasul stepping in at CB1.

This could also lead to Benford working at safety some and Dane Jackson being brought back to battle a FA and/or rookie for 3rd boundary CB spot and Kaiir Elam getting a token opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Tackling, willingness to chase and tackle, blasting forward to make tackles.

At safety, great ball skills are more useful than coverage ability. You run to a spot and play the ball. At CB, you run with you guy and deny his chances to get open. 

This is never going to happen. Time to move on with it. 

IMO this is why Rapp was available, he isn't looking to make a play on the ball, he is looking to make a 70s style highlight hit. Hyde is still good enough to get time, but he is slower and that's tough. 

22 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Absolutely- if they can McDermott the defense likely needs a major makeover the entire back 7 is probably in question. There might be one of two other guys that could work with it as is. 

Whoever takes over this team will be going all in on offense. They have to, the cap is going to be a mess with a series of poor drafts not helping anyone. There won't be anywhere near enough capital to address both sides next year. 

6 hours ago, Special K said:

I’m not saying the Bills should do this now, but if the back to back serious injuries cause Tre to lose a step or two, would he be a candidate to move to Safety to extend his career??

The Bills will be moving on from Hyde and Poyer soon enough.....Tre is a great ball-hawk, but could he tackle well enough to be a Safety??

Thoughts??

At this point with these back to back season enders, Tre's probably slower than both Poy & Micah.  All 3 are done.

6 hours ago, Special K said:

Thoughts??

Like others have stated his tackling is a liability especially at S and his price tag is way too high imo. I just hope he can get back to form, he's such a good dude and a top notch player when healthy.

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Nah, he's probably played his last play in the league already.

Probably ditto for Hyde.

Since he will be starting Sunday not sure I would agree

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

At this point with these back to back season enders, Tre's probably slower than both Poy & Micah.  All 3 are done.

Don't get why people actually think this is a thing.  Micah and Poyer look like they are playing well especially Micah.

20 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Don't get why people actually think this is a thing.  Micah and Poyer look like they are playing well especially Micah.

Poyer looks like his old self after a slow start and his PFF grade (I know it's not gospel) is similar to previous seasons.  Hyde does look like he lost a step though and the metrics back that up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.