Brandon Beane Media Comments

BuffaloBillyG

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Tim Settle was a miss.  We banked on him breaking out once he's not buried on a roster behind two elite DT's and he has not... at all. 

Beane can't predict Jones does down to injury.  That contract, along with Oliver's contract... if Daquan stayed healthy were very much worthy of praise.

Phillips and Ford are on cheap deals as vets because we are cap strapped. 

I don't know that I can fault Beane a ton for the DT situation.  

It should also be said thatJones was performing at an elite level when he was hurt.  That was a massive loss and no depth piece was going to fill that void.  It is unfortunate that Ford or Settle have not been able to be more stout at the point of attack, but I seriously doubt that problem can be even partially solved with FA at this point in the year.

12 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Settle is a disappointment, I remember Washington fans were very upset that he left.

Phillips is just washed 

Phillips is who he always was. Bad against the run, flashy when he can penetrate and rush the passer.  Without a Star or DaQuan next to him he gets even more exposed.  McD's defense seems to rely on having a unicorn at DT.  This defense falls apart without a tackle that can anchor while taking on two OL.  We will be back to playing Oliver out of position because the other bums aren't up to the task.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Einstein said:

My gut instinct to Beane’s comment on Elam’s ankle is “coach speak”. 

He is always going to make excuses for his players because good regimes don’t throw players under the bus. 

He and McD constantly backed up Kelvin Benjamin too.

Elam has only been on the injury report with an ankle for 2 of the 8 games we have played.  

And the backing up of Peterman by McD was just cataclysmically stupid.  

22 minutes ago, Process said:

Beane has been generally brutal when it comes to management of the d line, since he has got here. So many bad signings and draft picks. 

You are right, we went into this season with 5 vet DTs. We shouldn't be in this bad of shape because of the loss of one of them. 

And as Gunner implied, they were FAs that he, Beane, signed, no doubt with much input from McD.  Perhaps they should have thought things through and gotten at least one guy that would fit the scheme a little bit better.  

That's the problem as many view it, they're so overly focused on pass-rush that everything else, the other elements of D, takes a back seat, at least to a large extent.  

• Eyeroll 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

All 3 are overpaid IMO. Would not have brought Phillips back, would have cut Settle, and Poona has been a disappointment. How many vet DTs has he missed on since being our GM? Needs to own his errors. 

The Star contract still might be the worst contract he ever gave out. He hasn’t drafted any DTs since Ed in 2019 which means he has brought in a lot of FAs to fill those spots. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s Poona that’s the problem he was supposed to be a reliable, one tech

Yeah he stinks.  Phillips isn't much better at gap control, but at least he has quickness to split the double team from time to time.  I'll take a negative play once in a while over nothing.  Poona seems to just get moved.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

Good to hear from Beane, always a nice listen.

1. Elam: injury talk is part of it, but sure sounds like alot of mental/confidence concerns right now.  Just not playing to his talent level, which happens.  Hopefully that "switch" comes on later this season, but early next might be tipping point

2. DT: Beane whiffed at backups, that's clear as day.  We all saw a need for a better 1-tech backup, Poona was a "plan b" signing.   They should have prioritized that more, hopefully lesson learned and possible they are still looking at some FAs or P/S guys

3. Rasul: sounds like it will be tough to get him meaningful snaps this week.  But never rule it out, just think they won't rush him and he will likely be ready for Denver matchup

49 minutes ago, balln said:

Classic beane - defending his draft picks poor play. ANY injury is the first go to defense.

Spencer brown back

gabe Davis ankle 

Ed Oliver back 

blah blah blah 

Yeah, because all GMs are honest about their misses

Bills media member: Can you tell us more about Kaiir and where he stands?

Beane: Yeah, he sucks. He's terrible. I don't know what I was thinking. I told him he sucks all year. I didn't trade him yesterday because I want to continue telling him how much he sucks. It makes him get mad. And I love it. 

Come on, man. Are you really this dumb?

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Haha (+1) 5

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Good to hear from Beane, always a nice listen.

1. Elam: injury talk is part of it, but sure sounds like alot of mental/confidence concerns right now.  Just not playing to his talent level, which happens.  Hopefully that "switch" comes on later this season, but early next might be tipping point

2. DT: Beane whiffed at backups, that's clear as day.  We all saw a need for a better 1-tech backup, Poona was a "plan b" signing.   They should have prioritized that more, hopefully lesson learned and possible they are still looking at some FAs or P/S guys

3. Rasul: sounds like it will be tough to get him meaningful snaps this week.  But never rule it out, just think they won't rush him and he will likely be ready for Denver matchup

1 - Confidence definitely looks shattered at the moment.  Shutting him down for an ankle also gives him a chance to get his head on right.  

2 - Rounds 3-5 I'd like to see a nose tackle.  I'd also like DQ brought back as he has been really solid here.  

3 - Dress him - first off the bench, let him get his feet under him here before we inevitably throw him to the lions den 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, julian said:

Most teams see a dramatic drop off of talent behind the starter regardless of position. It’s impossible to field a team without holes on the depth chart, it’s why injuries play such a significant role in the outcome across the NFL.

Most teams don't fall to pieces after losing a defensive tackle.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Rasul not being active this week is a bit of a mental blow for me.

It’s Burrow and the Bengals with a trio of offensive weapons. We really need the CB help.

The OP said that was his opinion, I have not seen any Bills official name that statement 

5 minutes ago, julian said:

Most teams see a dramatic drop off of talent behind the starter regardless of position. It’s impossible to field a team without holes on the depth chart, it’s why injuries play such a significant role in the outcome across the NFL.

First game Nick Bolton doesn’t play and the Broncos moved the ball against that 2nd ranked D relatively easy. Now imagine if they were also down their best CB Sneed and also their 2nd best DT Nnadi. For the year. Makes a significant difference in the defensive performance. At least for them that’s not the case AND they get Bolton back in a few weeks. Injuries are the great equalizer.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Haha the Elam comment BB made is a complete joke. Nobody said anything about an injury for most of the weeks he was an inactive. 

23 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

I don’t ever remember Elam being on the injury report? If memory is correct, then I am calling bs.

You're both wrong. Elam has been on the injury report since week 7 with an ankle injury. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report/week/REG-7

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You're both wrong. Elam has been on the injury report since week 7 with an ankle injury. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report/week/REG-7

Week 8 shows him a full participant all week with no injury designation for the game. 

Now he's on the verge of being shut down for the year? I'd like to know what our practices ask of these players if they can participate fully all week with no issues, yet be heading to IR regardless. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

For those that missed if with a few key comments added. Good watch. Some other key points-

- Worked through many possibilities at CB before dealing for Rasul. Seemed like the asking prices were too high for others.

- Had been calling about DTs. Still looking to add. I read that as "We have several vets we are talking to. First one to accept our offer at a lower salary is a Buffalo Bill". But help is likely on the way.

- Rasul not expected to practice today. Not likely to be active this week IMO.

- Mentioned Fournette isn't familiar with the playbook. May take him a bit to see action is the way I took it. Also said regarding Fournette that nothing's been promised. 

- As usual, Beane was pretty straight forward as far as NFL GMs go. 

@JMM How those uhhhh , those national pundits and "good information" people you've got lookin for ya? Wasn't on the market at all, not even close. 

57 minutes ago, balln said:

Rhetorical question. Bernard knee. Also on there. These injury reports don’t mean anything. Elam has been full practice. It’s not the ankle folks as the reason he’s healthy scratch. It’s beane manipulating the narrative at the mic. 

The bolded is really somethin'.

Nothing like pure speculation. 

57 minutes ago, balln said:

Same. That’s ridiculous. Everything this org says or does is conservative and afraid. 

baker traded and in two days started and played with the rams

He's already been ruled out? 

Didn't Beane say something like he's on a flight to Buffalo, trying to get him passing the physical, and watching practice? 

He then said the same "ramp up" stuff. 

1 hour ago, balln said:

I’m not buying it. McD and the coaches have had plenty of time to mention that….. it’s beanes inarguable excuse

I always put on my hip waders before I read your posts, and it’s a good thing I didn’t forget this time…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, balln said:

Same. That’s ridiculous. Everything this org says or does is conservative and afraid. 

I’ve gotten to the end of the first page of this thread and I just HAVE to ask…

Ever given any thought to changing your screen name to “bawlin”?

Good gravy… 🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

First game Nick Bolton doesn’t play and the Broncos moved the ball against that 2nd ranked D relatively easy. Now imagine if they were also down their best CB Sneed and also their 2nd best DT Nnadi. For the year. Makes a significant difference in the defensive performance. At least for them that’s not the case AND they get Bolton back in a few weeks. Injuries are the great equalizer.

Everyone uses the ‘every team has injuries’ phrase but in reality some injuries are just way more detrimental to the team than others. I heard Bolton was out two months?  Not sure if that’s true though.  I think he needed surgery 

were virtually out von while he’s playing in his big a** cast too lol 

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

Interesting on Elam, I didn’t even consider he might be battling through an injury.   More depth for now at least!

Well, he hasn't been listed on injury report, would be one reason why it's not been considered.

There has been talk that he has an ankle injury, but I left Beane's presser with the impression that the ankle may be hampering Elam, but if his level of play were where they want it to be, he and his ankle would be "out there" - but it's not so he isn't.  I seem to remember a similar situation with Harrison Phillips, where he wasn't on injury report with his knee, but he wasn't playing effectively either and thus a healthy scratch in some games.  Our media were all over "oh, gonna be traded" but he wasn't; he was inactive for 4 games (sandwiched by a game where he played, maybe as a test?), played increasing snaps to close out the season, and then played more than half the snaps in 14 games the following year.  (We didn't re-sign him though, obviously)

The use of the word "instinctive" in football, and specifically by Beane in this presser, interests me.  It's by context, not the way we 'civilians' use the word.  To me, and most of the people I know, "instinctive" is something that reflects an inborn or innate behavior in response to certain stimuli.  As in this Brittanica definition.  According to this definition, instincts are something you either have or you don't; if you don't, you're not going to develop them.

Beane described Rasul Douglas as "instinctive".  But he also described Douglas, who played 3 years for Philly then a year for Carolina, as having "things not go his way" (or words to that effect) then having the lightbulb go on for him in GB (in his 5th year).  So evidently in the context of football, "instinct" is a trait a player can develop over time.  Beane seems to use it as being able to 'see and react' without needing to consciously diagnose, and in particular as being able to 'see and react' to play variants that weren't covered by the coaches in game prep meetings - apparently having a deep enough understanding of the offensive play design and the defensive coverage that even if the offensive play is a variation, he can pattern-match and react appropriately to that variation.

I would say that by this definition, Poyer and Hyde are 100% "instinctive" players, Benford and Bernard are either 'instinctive" or well on their way, Dorian Williams is "progressing but not there yet", and by inference, Elam is not instinctive - but, unlike what I would mean by instinct (you have 'em, or you don't), instinct is something that players can develop.  Or not.

But we really don't want to wait 3 years to get some use from a 1st round pick, that may not be a "bust" by my definition, but it's not a successful pick, either.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Had been calling about DTs. Still looking to add. I read that as "We have several vets we are talking to. First one to accept our offer at a lower salary is a Buffalo Bill". But help is likely on the way.

Medical work is being done on Ndamukong Suh and Matt Ioannidis.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, balln said:

Baker played on a team completely out of it that virtually had no reason to win games.  

dumping a cb in that doesn’t know the playbook yet is insanity…so much of playing good defense is communication/knowing your responsibility 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s a bummer that he hasn’t panned out. He should go to IR as it’s pretty clear he’s not going to contribute to the 2023 campaign. 

You never know who will get hurt next.  I hope he stays active and doesn't dress.  Maybe he can rehab the ankle and be better in a month.

I would hate to see a situation like Buffalo playing in a wild card game vs Miami or the bengals....and have a corner get hurt the week before or something.  

Shutting him down has to be the final move if all other options are exhausted, imo.

If they do shut him down maybe they can sign anthony brown to the practice squad and get him here and let him learn the defense in case of an emergency.

Edited by MikePJ76

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.