Brandon Beane Media Comments

BuffaloBillyG

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was just told Suh and Ioannidis will both be made official after their physicals. Not sure yet if it will be active roster or PS for them.

AWESOME!!!! this is huge 

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

All of these moves are cool, but we can't cut any DTs just yet. Somebody has to play on Sunday night. 

Oliver, Phillips, _____, Ankou

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

All of these moves are cool, but we can't cut any DTs just yet. Somebody has to play on Sunday night. 

True. But if they put Elam on IR that opens 1 spot. And adding the 2nd DT to PS would mean we cut one off there. And that guy would get 3 call ups . Not a big deal. 

I know beating Cincinnati is big, but if we can make it through this week and get these bodies in there it will be huge for helping stack wins. 

Eventually, I would think at least one of Ford, Settle and Phillips are likely gone.

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was just told Suh and Ioannidis will both be made official after their physicals. Not sure yet if it will be active roster or PS for them.

Nice!  Sounds like Elam to IR could be one corresponding move if they make 1 of them active roster.  Not sure what would be done to get a second active roster spot, should that be the plan. 

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

True. But if they put Elam on IR that opens 1 spot. And adding the 2nd DT to PS would mean we cut one off there. And that guy would get 3 call ups . Not a big deal. 

I know beating Cincinnati is big, but if we can make it through this week and get these bodies in there it will be huge for helping stack wins. 

Eventually, I would think at least one of Ford, Settle and Phillips are likely gone.

Maybe:

Elam to IR
Ankou to 53

Another move _________?  

Suh to 53 (or PS)
Loannidis to PS

I think the Douglas trade is a great move, and it's not unusual for the player to take a week off - Byard just did the same thing in Philadelphia.

I'm disappointed, however, at the lack of urgency/investment in the interior defensive line.  Most of these guys are heading to retirement whether they like it or not.  Suh is likely the best of the bunch - he did give the Eagles 10 tackles and a sack in 8 games, but that's what Jordan Phillips provides.  (2023 - 8 games, 7 tkl, 1 sack) 

image.thumb.png.ea93992a706539c9565caf386427a8cf.png

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Rasul not being active this week is a bit of a mental blow for me.

I talked myself in to being ok with him being inactive.  I'm not chalking this game up as a loss, but it's going to be a tough one whether Rasul is in the lineup or not.  If he's not familiar enough with the D, give him a week.  Bring him out for Denver at home.  That might have to be a "get back to winning" game.  If he goes out unprepared at Cinci, just our luck he might end up getting hurt.  This will be a game the Bills O will need to score 34-37 points.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

All 3 are overpaid IMO. Would not have brought Phillips back, would have cut Settle, and Poona has been a disappointment. How many vet DTs has he missed on since being our GM? Needs to own his errors. 

I agree with you on his DT misses, but how exactly do you want him to "own his errors" other than he is doing right now when he is looking for someone else?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Einstein said:

I'm sure he did at times.

In a 4-3 he is a 3 tech. In a 3-4 he is a 5 tech. 

He is not a 1 tech, which is what we need, imo.

Definitely not a true 1, from a run stuffing perspective.  I think he's a good piece to move around up front on passing downs, likely what they're looking for him to help with (interior rush, other than Ed has been poor since losing Jones).

Just confirmed he was a 3-tech at Wash, 3 games in 2020 (before injured) and all of 2021.

Good depth for this time of year.

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I wonder if those two off the couch are better than Settle and Ford who have been getting live game reps. 

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Is our defensive line getting blown off the line of scrimmage because Tre and Milano aren't out there?  I'll need to see the Xs and Os on how that works.

Do you really think the defensive line is the only cause for our defensive problems?  

Did our DL get blown off the ball vs TB?

Vs The Giants?  They certainly did vs the pats at times but the pats game plan was to have macnchz get rid of the ball in milliseconds. 

5 hours ago, balln said:

Also - Douglas BETTER play. This is the freaking NfL. He’s played for 6 teams. We need to win THIS game. You can keep Ty Johnson or Josh Norman off the kickoff team. Spare me. If the bills D is THAT complex then I’m all in on defending elam from these coaches 

Yes, and when Ja’Marr Chase gets wide open for an easy TD because Douglas doesn’t have the playbook down yet and the communication was off we’ll all be glad McD forced him into the lineup.  He’ll play when they’re confident he won’t be a liability.

Grow up, man.  Your posts in this thread are childish, to say the least.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Most teams don't fall to pieces after losing a defensive tackle.  

Who is falling to pieces?  Through 3 quarters Thursday night the defense was fine — even better than fine — and then a couple of stupid penalties and a lucky TD catch made that game close.  Tampa’s first TD was like a 25 yard drive as well after the tipped INT.

30 minutes ago, eball said:

Who is falling to pieces?  Through 3 quarters Thursday night the defense was fine — even better than fine — and then a couple of stupid penalties and a lucky TD catch made that game close.  Tampa’s first TD was like a 25 yard drive as well after the tipped INT.

I think he might be talking about the Pats game. Defense definitely fell apart in that game. Never thought i'd see Mackorkle lead a 75 yard TD winning drive with a minute or so to go against us.

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I agree with you on his DT misses, but how exactly do you want him to "own his errors" other than he is doing right now when he is looking for someone else?

I think Brandon is generally pretty good at the end of the season at reflecting, owning where he has failed and adjusting. The one spot where I see less of that is his approach at DT where he keeps on every year going after these mid level vets to pad out the roster. 

I'd like to see them do something different next spring. If the likes of Eli Ankou, Justin Zimmer and whatever dumpster dive vet we get now in week 9 can come in and offer little to no drop off it tells you that continually cycling through these $3-6m contracts on veteran backups isn't a good allocation of resources.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

31 minutes ago, eball said:

And the season highs in offense given up to Jacksonville and New England?   Cincinnati's backup OL had their way with our defensive line in the post season without Daquan in the lineup.  If you are of the opinion that 3 quarters against Tampa negate these other performances we can disagree.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Cincinnati's backup OL had their way with our defensive line in the post season without Daquan in the lineup.

They were missing more than DJones that day.

I'm also reluctant to take anything meaningful out of that game.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Brandon is generally pretty good at the end of the season at reflecting, owning where he has failed and adjusting. The one spot where I see less of that is his approach at DT where he keeps on every year going after these mid level vets to pad out the roster. 

I'd like to see them do something different next spring. If the likes of Eli Ankou, Justin Zimmer and whatever dumpster dive vet we get now in week 9 can come in and offer little to no drop off it tells you that continually cycling through these $3-6m contracts on veteran backups isn't a good allocation of resources.

Are you hinting at drafting a 1DT fairly high in the draft, say 2nd or 3rd round?  That's what I'd like to see.  Re- sign Jones to a 1 yr deal too.  Draft WR in the first rd.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Do you really think the defensive line is the only cause for our defensive problems?  

Did our DL get blown off the ball vs TB?

Vs The Giants?  They certainly did vs the pats at times but the pats game plan was to have macnchz get rid of the ball in milliseconds. 

Lets not leave Jacksonville off the list. 

I think the defensive line is the primary issue.  Without Daquan taking on two blockers we aren't seeing the penetration up the middle. QBs don't have to move off their spot, we aren't buying time for the edge rush to get home.  This forces our CBs to cover longer.  McDermott has sent extra pressure as a result, particularly against new england.  Blitzing left easy completions.       

We played all of last year without a healthy Tre White.  Dane + Benford is an adequate starting pair.  

Milano is great, no question. We miss him big time as Dorian gets abused on misdirection play.  I think Daquan's role is more important than either Tre or Milano to the success of this defensive scheme.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ok then I misunderstood you. If this is what you meant then I fully agree. I think this is his problem in general, since from time to time he also overpays other positions - Harty or Hines come to my mind recently and that is not a hindsight on my part. But at DT he is doing that constantly and it does a little sense.

And it is hurting us a lot, that's quite a lot of cap space which could've been used more effectively or saved.

I sure hope he learns next time. Like you said he's shown the ability.

28 minutes ago, Simon said:

They were missing more than DJones that day.

Micah Hyde, Von Miller, Daquan Jones and Damar Hamlin were all out.

Jordan Poyer was playing hurt and left the game late 3rd quarter or very early 4th quarter.

And Jordan Phillips played with 1 arm.

Dean Marlow, Jaquan Johnson, Eli Ankou, and Cam Lewis all played significant snaps. Siran Neal had a handful too.

Edited by Einstein

34 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

And the season highs in offense given up to Jacksonville and New England?   Cincinnati's backup OL had their way with our defensive line in the post season without Daquan in the lineup.  If you are of the opinion that 3 quarters against Tampa negate these other performances we can disagree.

Just looking at the most recent performance, that’s all. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.