Brandon Beane Media Comments

BuffaloBillyG

For those that missed if with a few key comments added. Good watch. Some other key points-

- Worked through many possibilities at CB before dealing for Rasul. Seemed like the asking prices were too high for others.

- Had been calling about DTs. Still looking to add. I read that as "We have several vets we are talking to. First one to accept our offer at a lower salary is a Buffalo Bill". But help is likely on the way.

- Rasul not expected to practice today. Not likely to be active this week IMO.

- Mentioned Fournette isn't familiar with the playbook. May take him a bit to see action is the way I took it. Also said regarding Fournette that nothing's been promised. 

- As usual, Beane was pretty straight forward as far as NFL GMs go. 

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 16

Just now, RiotAct said:

Interesting on Elam, I didn’t even consider he might be battling through an injury.   More depth for now at least!

I’m not buying it. McD and the coaches have had plenty of time to mention that….. it’s beanes inarguable excuse

• Vomit 8
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 5

Also - Douglas BETTER play. This is the freaking NfL. He’s played for 6 teams. We need to win THIS game. You can keep Ty Johnson or Josh Norman off the kickoff team. Spare me. If the bills D is THAT complex then I’m all in on defending elam from these coaches 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 5

4 minutes ago, balln said:

Classic beane - defending his draft picks poor play. ANY injury is the first go to defense.

Spencer brown back

gabe Davis ankle 

Ed Oliver back 

blah blah blah 

I mean, ok.. but Spencer Brown is healthy now and looks pretty good.  Ed Oliver has become a top tier DT.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 13

10 minutes ago, balln said:

Classic beane - defending his draft picks poor play. ANY injury is the first go to defense.

Spencer brown back

gabe Davis ankle 

Ed Oliver back 

blah blah blah 

Spencer Brown had major back surgery and had no offseason last season. It's probably amazing he didn't wash out of the league entirely after that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He has Ed Oliver and then three vet defensive tackles he gave FA deals to on the roster. If he needs more there that is his own fault. 

Poona , settle, and j Phillips…..

settle and Phillips. I just can’t believe at how bad they are vs the run. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LEBills said:

he has been on the injury report with an ankle for a few weeks now

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report/week/REG-8

Rhetorical question. Bernard knee. Also on there. These injury reports don’t mean anything. Elam has been full practice. It’s not the ankle folks as the reason he’s healthy scratch. It’s beane manipulating the narrative at the mic. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, balln said:

Spencer brown back

gabe Davis ankle 

Ed Oliver back 

blah blah blah 

Or, the NFL is a contact sport and players get injured. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He has Ed Oliver and then three vet defensive tackles he gave FA deals to on the roster. If he needs more there that is his own fault. 

You're not wrong. However, It's nice that he's willing to admit that what he's put together isn't working and trying to make a move. Nothing is more frustrating than a GM that makes mistakes then refuses to fix them.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Rasul not being active this week is a bit of a mental blow for me.

It’s Burrow and the Bengals with a trio of offensive weapons. We really need the CB help.

Same. That’s ridiculous. Everything this org says or does is conservative and afraid. 

baker traded and in two days started and played with the rams

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

It’s understandable to think this as he hasn’t been playing…

My gut instinct to Beane’s comment on Elam’s ankle is “coach speak”. 

He is always going to make excuses for his players because good regimes don’t throw players under the bus. 

He and McD constantly backed up Kelvin Benjamin too.

Elam has only been on the injury report with an ankle for 2 of the 8 games we have played.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane has been generally brutal when it comes to management of the d line, since he has got here. So many bad signings and draft picks. 

You are right, we went into this season with 5 vet DTs. We shouldn't be in this bad of shape because of the loss of one of them. 

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, balln said:

Rhetorical question. Bernard knee. Also on there. These injury reports don’t mean anything. Elam has been full practice. It’s not the ankle folks as the reason he’s healthy scratch. It’s beane manipulating the narrative at the mic. 

He was limited all week 2 weeks ago, full last week but injuries are not alway linear. You can certainly say this is Bean being manipulative if that is your prerogative. 

• Like (+1) 2

Look I love BB. He’s the best we’ve had in a long time. 

douglas trade was fantastic

but elam was a whiff / or he picked the wrong player for the coach system 

and the overall talent acquisition 

philosophy has been defense and special teams heavy. 

Edited by balln
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Beane has been generally brutal when it comes to management of the d line, since he has got here. So many bad signings and draft picks. 

You are right, we went into this season with 5 vet DTs. We shouldn't be in this bad of shape because of the loss of one of them. 

I just don’t get the Dorian Williams pick - coaches can’t even / choose not to play him. Or Justin - never gonna be anything - shorter. We needed DT depth. 

6 minutes ago, balln said:

could be, could be.   Either way,  I like where we are at corner now a lot more than I did 24 hours ago!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, balln said:

Settle is a disappointment, I remember Washington fans were very upset that he left.

Phillips is just washed 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Tim Settle was a miss.  We banked on him breaking out once he's not buried on a roster behind two elite DT's and he has not... at all. 

Beane can't predict Jones does down to injury.  That contract, along with Oliver's contract... if Daquan stayed healthy were very much worthy of praise.

Phillips and Ford are on cheap deals as vets because we are cap strapped. 

I don't know that I can fault Beane a ton for the DT situation.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, balln said:

Also - Douglas BETTER play. This is the freaking NfL. He’s played for 6 teams. We need to win THIS game. You can keep Ty Johnson or Josh Norman off the kickoff team. Spare me. If the bills D is THAT complex then I’m all in on defending elam from these coaches 

How miserable are you?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Process said:

See hole run through hole. Hopefully it doesn't take them forever to get Fournette involved. He's probably washed but should still be an upgrade over Murray. 

Fournette is likely more of a piece in the pass and protection game.  Cook has not looked good in protection.  He has ball skills and open field ability.  Fournette may be a good chess piece for the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Rasul not being active this week is a bit of a mental blow for me.

It’s Burrow and the Bengals with a trio of offensive weapons. We really need the CB help.

Beane didn’t say he’d be inactive for the game. He said he’ll leave it up to McD as far as how much he plays (or if he doesn’t). Only thing Rasul might miss this week is the walk-through today.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, balln said:

I just don’t get the Dorian Williams pick - coaches can’t even / choose not to play him. Or Justin - never gonna be anything - shorter. We needed DT depth. 

You don't understand selecting a linebacker in the draft when we were thin at linebacker?  Add it to the list...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, balln said:

All 3 are overpaid IMO. Would not have brought Phillips back, would have cut Settle, and Poona has been a disappointment. How many vet DTs has he missed on since being our GM? Needs to own his errors. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.