McD Press Conference Comments

Dubie54

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Dorsey is not the problem. McDermott is the problem, trying to be an offensive coach. Daboll gave McDermott a big FU, and we saw how cold their greeting was at the end of the Giants game. The offensive was also better under Daboll.

That is why so many coaches have left.  Spot on.  Daboll hated that guy.  All the receivers loved Chad Hall. He went to some team and it wasn’t a promotion.  That could have been one of the things that Diggs was pissed about.

I keep hearing this idea that we are holding guys back and acting like we don’t need everything to beat certain teams. Maybe that’s coming back to get us? I’m not saying the team itself is representing this thought process and it could be completely untrue. If there is 1 ounce of truth to that, I want new coaches.

I don’t know how dumb you’d have to be to throttle back thinking you can win at 3/4 speed…what is the purpose? It’s a zero benefit thought. Each one of these games count the same. 1 win. If you think you can keep writing off weeks, losses, seasons etc. Then you need to be removed. Every single week should be all we have. You get up 28 in a game and start taking guys out? Fine. If you decide on Tuesday that you don’t need your A game to beat someone and you hold things back? I want you fired. That’s a complete loser mentality. This isn’t college football. All these teams are too good to mess around with and you will get beat while messing around. I really hope this is all a media creation but if there is any throttling in that locker room, I wasn’t everyone gone. People that think like that will never win big.

15 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Lets all light scented candles and sing kumbaya Sean. We can bond and be a more efficient team. Holistically I mean....

I get that you associate that word with hippies and crystals but it just means parts relative to the whole 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Shortchaz

16 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Lets all light scented candles and sing kumbaya Sean. We can bond and be a more efficient team. Holistically I mean....

I think you are confusing the actual meaning of “holistic”with how some people have misused it. It just means looking at individual aspects of something and how they are interconnected when looking at the entirety of something. That makes sense when looking at a team, offense, etc. 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Dude, time to get out of William and Mary 101 Psychology Class! Holistically was his comment? This is freaking football. Enough with the over analyzing the game. Big guys run, tackle, block and score more points than the opposition. It's way simpler than his terrible explanations each week. He is really bad at the podium...

You’re the one analyzing a freaking press conference.

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

So, this is what you decided to Blitch about? His use of the word "holistically"?

Are you really Sparticus? 

I am Spartacus, and I am a Thracian. I am transparent and don't believe in clapping all the time in the hopes it motivates my Thracian horde. Not bitching, just getting fed up with McDermott and his propensity not to be tough and call people out (either players, or coaches). He's a boring coach, regardless of his record.

22 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Dorsey is not the problem. McDermott is the problem, trying to be an offensive coach. Daboll gave McDermott a big FU, and we saw how cold their greeting was at the end of the Giants game. The offensive was also better under Daboll.

I'm sure it's a little more complex than that, but McD's gotten quite a bit of lattitude in avoiding criticism to date.  The mystery surrounding what really happened with Frazier, same for Daboll, his taking over of the D, etc., at some point, namely this season, we were going to find a bunch of stuff out and have more dots to connect, that much was obvious before the season began.  

But here we are and the picture's already starting to clear up.  McD was a very average DC in Carolina, and that's already beginning to repeat itself here.  

As to Dorsey and the offense, Dorsey, whom McD had full faith in, was McD's choice, so of course the responsibility comes down to him.  

He also shouldn't get a pass for having the entire top of his staff be people that worked under or across from him in Carolina, unless one of course thinks that the odds of the best people for the position were all on a Carolina team that had similar struggles in the playoffs that we've had here.  

Anyway, there's more to it than simply pointing the finger at Dorsey, but why McD's gotten away with almost none of the criticisms pointing back to him is semi-remarkable.  But that's starting to change.  One can only swap out the piece parts so many times and still have scapegoats.  

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That movie was great.

LOL 

Great caste.  Hank Azaria ... LOL  

6 minutes ago, theRalph said:

LMFAO. McDermott is an EXPERT at pressers. Here's where he learned...

Put a few "The Process" and "have to do better's" in the subtitles, and eh voila!  

• Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

That is why so many coaches have left.  Spot on.  Daboll hated that guy.  All the receivers loved Chad Hall. He went to some team and it wasn’t a promotion.  That could have been one of the things that Diggs was pissed about.

Who gives a F if the WR room liked Chad Hall?

I find it so lame how fans instantly think one coach is better than the other, only based on a little bit of useless information that we receive from the media.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Good...."when it's on him every week, it's time to replace him"....rinse & repeat nonsense rhetoric or coach-speak if you will.  It's a tired strategy to buy more time. This guy has no clue what to do with Josh. And hiring a 7th round scrub qb OC is starting to turn this season into a real mess.  Deep down I think Diggs blew up last year because he's sick & tired of these coaches too.

Yeah, whatever got Diggs pissed off earlier, I’m surprised we haven’t heard more from him the way the last 3 weeks have gone.   Of course, he’s still getting his targets.

On 10/22/2023 at 7:43 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

What do you all expect him to say?

and did the offense really start slow? Josh threw a pick. But we also had two 10+ play drives in the first half. 

They had an interception, a long drive where we came away with a kiss from Ken's sister (FG), and a 3-and-out ----- while the opponent had a FG, a TD, and a 3 and out.  I'd call that starting pretty slow, myself.

I don't know what people expect McDermott to say to the press, though.  Do they expect him to say "look, Josh Allen has been starting games with his head up his ass, the OL starts out playing like they're allergic to physical contact, and our receivers should be called "fumblefingers 2, fumblefingers 3, Kincaid, and Diggs"? 

McDermott has ideas what's wrong, he's just not going to air them in the press.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/22/2023 at 5:38 PM, PBF81 said:

Right, he knows absolutely nothing about offense.  Entrusting the entire baby & bathwater to a second year OJT OC with a questionable regimen. 

Nothing new here.  

How to correct it is simple.  But we don't want to take the path with the tough questions and answers.  

How can a coach that successfully coaches defense know absolutely nothing about offense?  Makes no sense.  

All McDermott press conferences are the same. He ain't gonna tell you nuthin.  He sounds more like a business consultant than a football coach. I picked up on this in his introductory press conference in 2017.   Don't bother listening to them anymore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

How can a coach that successfully coaches defense know absolutely nothing about offense?  Makes no sense.  

All McDermott press conferences are the same. He ain't gonna tell you nuthin.  He sounds more like a business consultant than a football coach. I picked up on this in his introductory press conference in 2017.   Don't bother listening to them anymore.

Considering that he was a patently average DC in Carolina ...

Knowing about defending an offense is much different that scheming and running one, much more knowing how to effectively use a special QB.  

If they weren't true, then you'd have DCs becoming OCs and visa versa.  

Complete alignment on the pressers statement.  

On 10/22/2023 at 8:31 PM, Dubie54 said:

Q: Over the last three games, you guys have a total of 10 points in the first half. Have you been able to put your finger on anything for the slow start here?
SM: I wish I could tell you. I really do. I wish I could tell you. We talk about it. We talk about being more detailed, getting into a rhythm early, playing complementary football and all three phases working together. We haven't been able to get into a good rhythm, obviously, in the first quarter. Let's just start there. So, just overall, we've got find the answers there.

I get sick of his BS answers. How about “unacceptable” “we’re not maximizing our talent” “we’re too predictable” etc. etc. oh, but then he might hurt Dorsey’s feelings. 

Im sure throwing players or coaches under the bus would do wonders for morale

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Im sure throwing players or coaches under the bus would do wonders for morale

I am constantly amazed how many fans do not get this. Throwing coaches and players under the bus in public is absolute nuclear option and should be avoided. If McDermott gets to that point then you know it is a desperate last throw of the dice. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am constantly amazed how many fans do not get this. Throwing coaches and players under the bus in public is absolute nuclear option and should be avoided. If McDermott gets to that point then you know it is a desperate last throw of the dice. 

It’s because they never played a higher level organized sports so they don’t understand it.

Its the same people that say “I have a herniated disc in my back and I still go to work why can’t these NFL players?”

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/22/2023 at 5:31 PM, Dubie54 said:

Q: Over the last three games, you guys have a total of 10 points in the first half. Have you been able to put your finger on anything for the slow start here?
SM: I wish I could tell you. I really do. I wish I could tell you. We talk about it. We talk about being more detailed, getting into a rhythm early, playing complementary football and all three phases working together. We haven't been able to get into a good rhythm, obviously, in the first quarter. Let's just start there. So, just overall, we've got find the answers there.

I get sick of his BS answers. How about “unacceptable” “we’re not maximizing our talent” “we’re too predictable” etc. etc. oh, but then he might hurt Dorsey’s feelings. 

One of the oldest leadership principles in the book is that you praise in public and criticize in private.  

We have no idea what McD is saying to Dorsey in private.  

• Agree 1

If your goal is to win the Super Bowl, the question the owner has to answer is whether I think my current coach is good enough to win the Super Bowl. Nothing else should matter.  It’s why I thought Marv should have been fired after the debacle that was the first Super Bowl loss to the Cowboys. Say what you will about Marv but it was crystal clear at that point that he was never winning a Super Bowl with that team. Instead, we fire the best GM in franchise history.  Should McDermott be canned if we miss playoffs this season?  No idea but I’d like to think Pegula is asking himself the question posed above, i. e. is McDermott a good enough coach to win a Super Bowl?

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark but we don't know what it is exactly. OTOH some things are patently obvious. The D yesterday was missing its best players, pretty much all of them lol. I'm not sure that absolves McD from criticism for his approach and some of his playcalls but I'm confident that if the D is healthy (or healthier) the outcome is almost certainly not the same. 
The problem is with the offense but maybe it's not fair to target Dorsey. I do question the wisdom of hiring a rookie OC to lead a team with Super Bowl aspirations but many of us wanted (and still want) a young and innovative talent and all of those guys had to start somewhere. If Dorsey is not that guy they made a mistake in hiring him. If he is or can be that guy the problem lies elsewhere. 
Anything I say is pure speculation, so there is that. But I am inclined to lay the blame mostly on McD's shoulders. I think it's fair for the buck to stop with him but not just because he's the HC. I suspect that he has now a suffocating influence on the team, especially the O. We see competing teams every year looking to improve their rosters before the trading deadline. Just look at the two finalists in last years championship game. The Bills don't do that sort of thing but I'm not at all sure that is on Beane. I don't know that McD is inclined to move quickly to integrate new arrivals mid season. Sort of part of what we see when it comes to playing rooks and younger players. Its as though within his system and approach whatever they have to add is less than the risks of letting them play. So maybe Beane is limited in what he can do as a practical matter. Hiring from within (including Carolina) suggests to me a braintrust that is a little insular and without the confidence (or ability/awareness) to move quickly and aggressively. It seems like an entirely conservative mindset and culture fixated on preserving rather than attempting to improve an asset when constant adjustments are required in an ultra competitive environment. Another poster has mentioned how hard it is for coaches to be successful continuously and for the long term. Pete Carroll and Harbaugh are mentioned but Seattle and the Ravens are teams that generally draft very well. I have to wonder whether our scouting department is up to snuff. At least the question is worth asking. Not sure how to go about answering it. Elam to one side they are pretty good at drafting/finding players for the D. Same can't be said for the O (except for Josh and Diggs).  This too suggests to me that McD's expertise and contacts, which I'm sure are considerable, are limited to the defensive side of things. I don't think he has much to offer to the offence in the way of play design and the playbook generally.  
Not sure how all this will play out. Obviously if the team is unable to turn things around, changes will have to be made at years end. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

If they weren't true, then you'd have DCs becoming OCs and visa versa.

IIRC Coach McDermott's team went to the Super Bowl when he was DC there.

Tom Landry and Bill Bellyache  were both DCs prior to becoming HCs and are both considered to be offensive geniuses.

Is that Sean McDermott, we'll see. He ain't done yet.  I was responding to someone saying he knows nothing about offense, which is just silly.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It’s because they never played a higher level organized sports so they don’t understand it.

Its the same people that say “I have a herniated disc in my back and I still go to work why can’t these NFL players?”

Dude these office chairs are brutal. You have no idea what’s it’s like to desk jockey through a disc. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I recall the anecdote about how McD was let go in Philly. He was replacing the late great Jim Johnson as their DC. A really tough act to follow for a young coordinator. Upon letting McD go, Andy Reid had told McD something like ‘I’m doing this for you.’

That has to be playing in McD’s mind. Another young coordinator that’s replacing someone that, while not legendary, has certainly had success.

Of course, McD must also be considering that Reid himself was let go not too long after.

On 10/22/2023 at 8:35 PM, Franco_92 said:

Whatever case you want to make for or against Sean, you're not going to get anything real out of a press conference 

You will get nothing out of any coach who is worth their salt.  What is he supposed to say? Here let me make it really obvious for our opponents, we are struggling because of X, y and Z specifically.

Other teams are figuring it out but Sean does not need to spoon feed it to them.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

IIRC Coach McDermott's team went to the Super Bowl when he was DC there.

Tom Landry and Bill Bellyache  were both DCs prior to becoming HCs and are both considered to be offensive geniuses.

Is that Sean McDermott, we'll see. He ain't done yet.  I was responding to someone saying he knows nothing about offense, which is just silly.

Yeah, and finished below average defensively in four of six seasons.  

We've been through this.  The year that the Panthers went to the Super Bowl, they had the easiest schedule of any NFL team from 2011 thru 2022, 12 seasons.  The easiest.  

That's relevant context.  That was also easily the best season that Newton ever put up.  He was no better than average at any other time.  

We can find exceptions for everything.  

On 10/22/2023 at 8:37 PM, Blackbeard said:

He’s not going to reveal the internal issues or personnel problems. 

This right here^^^

I do hope Sean is having more than a “heart to heart with Dorsey, that and I hope he is doing the same on the defensive side to maximize the D’s effectiveness. Imo it’s time for an honest reckoning with every player and coach before the season totally gets away from them. 

GO BILLS!!!

7 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

The problem is with the offense but maybe it's not fair to target Dorsey. I do question the wisdom of hiring a rookie OC to lead a team with Super Bowl aspirations but many of us wanted (and still want) a young and innovative talent and all of those guys had to start somewhere. 

To start, paragraphs are your friends.  🙂

I question the wisdom of bringing in the top half of a coaching staff that never did anything of significance elsewhere other than in a single season under the most favorable circumstances that they'll likely never see again.  .... Actually that have in a limited manner, the early party of this season, and the results aren't encouraging.  

The one that brought them in needs to be held accountable.  

But who really expected him to bring in that young innovative talent you mentioned?  That would threaten his power base and be a candidate to replace him.  

But alas, maybe he's in a catch-22 now as a result.  

7 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Anything I say is pure speculation, so there is that. But I am inclined to lay the blame mostly on McD's shoulders.

He is the head coach after all.  

On 10/23/2023 at 5:03 AM, BillsFan692 said:

Why doesnt he say "I demanded a move for our offensive scheme from the spread offense which josh allen was thriving in to a 12 personell scheme which I think gives my defense a better chance to succeed. We need to run the ball. Dorsey is my yes man and he has no say in this I am forcing it on him and it hasnt worked at all for us. Its my fault. I am going to let the guys play their brand of ball moving forward and see if we can find our success again.

What would be wrong with this extremely honest and refreshing answer???

It's preferred not to say much because if Coach starts talking more then he's revealing more weaknesses to our competition. Let them figure that out on their own.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.