McD Press Conference Comments

Dubie54

46 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

It's not a one or the other thing. The OP was about the offenses slow start so I was responding to that specifically. This was by far our worst game defensively this year. Specifically (and I'll need to see the A22 to confirm) Jordan Phillips, both Dorian Williams and Tyrel Dodson, Taron Johnson and Dane Jackson looked especially bad. We were misaligned multiple times early on in the game. Our tackling was atrocious. It was bad all around.

EDIT: To be clear on Taron - it didn't have anything to do with the last touchdown - he should have had help inside on that, but didn't get it.

Against Pat Mahomes. Sure. Mac Jones? Nah. Bills offense didn’t show up once again and it no longer an excuse

2 hours ago, Dubie54 said:

Q: Over the last three games, you guys have a total of 10 points in the first half. Have you been able to put your finger on anything for the slow start here?
SM: I wish I could tell you. I really do. I wish I could tell you. We talk about it. We talk about being more detailed, getting into a rhythm early, playing complementary football and all three phases working together. We haven't been able to get into a good rhythm, obviously, in the first quarter. Let's just start there. So, just overall, we've got find the answers there.

I get sick of his BS answers. How about “unacceptable” “we’re not maximizing our talent” “we’re too predictable” etc. etc. oh, but then he might hurt Dorsey’s feelings. 

why are we scoring in the first half?

I don’t know, we talk about playing complimentary football. 

I’ll be honest, I want that to mean “we talk about scoring record breaking points with our elite qb” instead of talking about avoiding mistakes in all three phases

Q: Over the last three games, you guys have a total of 10 points in the first half. Have you been able to put your finger on anything for the slow start here?
SM: I wish I could tell you. I really do. I wish I could tell you. We talk about it. We talk about being more detailed, getting into a rhythm early, playing complementary football and all three phases working together. We haven't been able to get into a good rhythm, obviously, in the first quarter. Let's just start there. So, just overall, we've got find the answers there.

I get sick of his BS answers. How about “unacceptable” “we’re not maximizing our talent” “we’re too predictable” etc. etc. oh, but then he might hurt Dorsey’s feelings. 

What would he say that would make you feel any better?

I mean... He knows... Getting beat 30-10 in the first half of the last 3 games combined is coaching... You pour a week into getting ready for a game and they are getting stomped coming out of the gates three games in a row now. And it could have been worse... He does not have his team ready to play... He knows... He just does not know how to fix it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BILLieve85 said:

Against Pat Mahomes. Sure. Mac Jones? Nah. Bills offense didn’t show up once again and it no longer an excuse

Maybe you missed my first post? I’ve put blame on both sides of the ball. Again, this isn’t a one or the other scenario. Both sides of the ball were not good.

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

why are we scoring in the first half?

I don’t know, we talk about playing complimentary football. 

I’ll be honest, I want that to mean “we talk about scoring record breaking points with our elite qb” instead of talking about avoiding mistakes in all three phases

To piggy back, McD saying complimentary football is just no one phase losing the game. Never once is he willing for the offense to always expose itself and win in spite of the defense or special teams. Its classic coach speak 101

Expecting to hear the HC tell the media what he really thinks about what’s causing the team’s problems? Lol C’mon Man ! 

1 minute ago, HoofHearted said:

Maybe you missed my first post? I’ve put blame on both sides of the ball. Again, this isn’t a one or the other scenario. Both sides of the ball were not good.

Sorry I missed that. The fact we have to make reasons for losing to Mac Jones. Idk. This shouldn’t happen lol. But it did. Ugh

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

To me that is very worrisome that he has lost the locker room(whatever that means).

Is this part true?  You're the second person that's mentioned this.  

Where did this notion come from?  

I can answer that for him. They put 10 billion dollars into a defensive line that can’t get home and brought in the Hartys of the world to play offense. Then they neutered Josh because they are too afraid of Cam Newton or Josh throwing an int. Josh is not Brady. He is never going to be Brady. They need to embrace what he is, get him some damn help, design an offense around what he is elite at, and let Josh be fricken Josh. All the complainers about sugar high Josh… that’s the same Josh that is superstar Josh. People need to stop wanting him to be Tom Brady. He is never going to be. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I mean... He knows... Getting beat 30-10 in the first half of the last 3 games combined is coaching... You pour a week into getting ready for a game and they are getting stomped coming out of the gates three games in a row now. And it could have been worse... He does not have his team ready to play... He knows... He just does not know how to fix it. 

I think you’re right and that’s terrifying..

I truly think the staff/team don’t know what to do to fix this. 

Edited by SCBills

55 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

It's not a one or the other thing. The OP was about the offenses slow start so I was responding to that specifically. This was by far our worst game defensively this year. Specifically (and I'll need to see the A22 to confirm) Jordan Phillips, both Dorian Williams and Tyrel Dodson, Taron Johnson and Dane Jackson looked especially bad. We were misaligned multiple times early on in the game. Our tackling was atrocious. It was bad all around.

EDIT: To be clear on Taron - it didn't have anything to do with the last touchdown - he should have had help inside on that, but didn't get it.

That's the point I'm trying to make.

McD took a generic question about slow starts and turned it exclusively into an offense issue. He completely ignored his defense's slow starts to games this season (and this game in particular). He's scape-goating the offense when HIS defense was a complete train wreck from the opening whistle. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

There is definitely some component of coaching esp the last two weeks where time zones in London were not a factor.

The Bills need to get off to better starts. Even if you aren’t blowing out a team by half you shouldn’t be down 10 points to an anemic Pats team. 

The coaching really needs to install a sense of urgency to the team right out the gate and have a good game plan. If they can get to 5-3 with a “mini bye” and add some help at DT and maybe one other position at the trade deadline I think they will be fine.

I did enjoy seeing Kincaid looking good and Shakir soaking in all 4 targets 

McD is a good coach. Let’s start there.

One of the hardest things to do in pro sports is get really close to winning a championship multiple times, lose, and keep the team. Teams just burn to hit, the margin for error is zero, and if you don’t win, everything is seen as a mistake. 

These things happen and are part of the coach/team lifecycle sometimes. Only posting this because a lot of the comments in this thread seem weirdly personal and aggressive towards McD. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

McD took a generic question about slow starts and turned it exclusively into an offense issue. He completely ignored his defense's slow starts to games this season (and this game in particular). He's scape-goating the offense when HIS defense was a complete train wreck from the opening whistle. 

The offense and special teams did put the defense on short fields in the first half. The Bills just needed one or two more big plays to end the game and they couldn’t come up with it. Just a really frustrating loss as neither the defense or offense set a tone consistently 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

The offense and special teams did put the defense on short fields in the first half. The Bills just needed one or two more big plays to end the game and they couldn’t come up with it. Just a really frustrating loss as neither the defense or offense set a tone consistently 

While that is technically true I feel like it doesn't tell the whole story. 

The only turnover by our offense turned into a 1st down for the Patriots from our 45 yard line. We allowed them to slice through our defense for a TD. 

The long punt return gave the Patriots a 1st down on our 46 yard line. Our DEF got shredded and let them drive down to the 6 yard line before settling for a 24 yard FG. 

Those were NOT good defensive drives, even when you account for the short fields. 

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

He never says anything important in the post game interview, win or lose, it’s coach-speak right after a game.  He isn’t the only coach like this. 

Why bother dissecting it? 

He never says anything important any other time either...clueless McDermott the Irish clapper and his Igor sidekick dorkey

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

What would he say that would make you feel any better?

Well, what I don’t want to hear is “I wish I could tell you”. 

I’m not expecting him to throw anyone under the bus, but what we have seen from the Bills the past 3 weeks is unlike any 3 game stretch in years, and I’d like him to convey commitment and urgency to getting this thing turned around. 

41 minutes ago, Mango said:

McD is a good coach. Let’s start there.

One of the hardest things to do in pro sports is get really close to winning a championship multiple times, lose, and keep the team. Teams just burn to hit, the margin for error is zero, and if you don’t win, everything is seen as a mistake. 

These things happen and are part of the coach/team lifecycle sometimes. Only posting this because a lot of the comments in this thread seem weirdly personal and aggressive towards McD. 

Aggressive? Maybe

Personal? Not a chance, my guy

Posters have the right to be pissed off at McD because he's not getting it done. It's one thing to lose to the top teams with the franchise QB...it's a whole different story when you get beat by Mac Jones.

And speaking of comments...the whole coach/team lifecycle thing comes across as nonsensical, excuse making. This team fails to meet expectations every season, and the talent has been there. The elite QB play has been there, and the defense has been there. 

It's the coaching that has let this team and Bills fans down. 

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I dont care and never cared what he says in press conferences. It's all media bull####. 

What matters is three weeks in a row he has not had his team prepared to play. 

To me that is very worrisome that he has lost the locker room(whatever that means).

To me it means this team knows they are being outcoached. Diggs knows Dorsey is a clown. 

Would be nice to have a reporter actual ask real questions.  But the press is just asked the same BS - they have the same scripted questions when we lose

if a reported came out and asked these questions they would move let them

back to the PCs

I didn't hear the question I wanted an answer for. Why did you decline the defensive hold at the 1/2 yard line?  1st and goal from the 2 would have given you an extra down to burn clock or at least make Belicheat use his timeouts?

I get it. That's a micro question when everyone is focused on the macro. But that decision took away options for us to burn clock. 

• Agree 2

I doubt he provided many details but has anything else come to light on his choice to sit Dorian? Not sure how I feel about him putting players in the dog house, while simultaneously losing to a weak division opponent with the house maybe starting to catch on fire, unless he did something terrible. All seems a bit much.

13 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I didn't hear the question I wanted an answer for. Why did you decline the defensive hold at the 1/2 yard line?  1st and goal from the 2 would have given you an extra down to burn clock or at least make Belicheat use his timeouts?

I get it. That's a micro question when everyone is focused on the macro. But that decision took away options for us to burn clock. 

That's because it would've been a really stupid question as we needed to make sure we scored a touchdown to take the lead.  You take 2nd and goal from the 1/2 yard line over first and goal from the two every time.  

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's because it would've been a really stupid question as we needed to make sure we scored a touchdown to take the lead.  You take 2nd and goal from the 1/2 yard line over first and goal from the two every time.  

I don't think it's that stupid

In fact I would wager EV of first down from the 2 is higher than 2nd down from the .5 

There is nothing he can say.

If Coach McDermott said "We're banged up on defense so Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs all day with some sprinkles of James Cook, Khalil Shakir, and Dalton Kincaid."

As he leaves the podium, he heads back to the mic: "And oh yeah, Von Miller is toast y'all. Kthnxbye."

What would you be thinking?

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't think it's that stupid

In fact I would wager EV of first down from the 2 is higher than 2nd down from the .5 

Give me three opportunities for a QB sneak from Allen to take the lead from a half yard out every time.

4 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

While that is technically true I feel like it doesn't tell the whole story. 

The only turnover by our offense turned into a 1st down for the Patriots from our 45 yard line. We allowed them to slice through our defense for a TD. 

The long punt return gave the Patriots a 1st down on our 46 yard line. Our DEF got shredded and let them drive down to the 6 yard line before settling for a 24 yard FG. 

Those were NOT good defensive drives, even when you account for the short fields. 

To be add more context the INT put the defense right back out on the field after the first offensive play. The defense holds the Pats to a field goal on the first drive, a not great but far from tragic start only to get put back out on the field having to defend a short field caused by an INT.

The defense should have been able to close the game out but the offense and special teams put them on short fields in the first half

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

This a good point. I think if Bass had made that one FG and you were a FG wins, then you do burn clock. Being that you were down 18-22 you a zero margin for error, and scoring a TD was the right decision, regardless of clock. And you prefer a 2nd and goal from the 1’ line. 

15 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

To be add more context the INT put the defense right back out on the field after the first offensive play. The defense holds the Pats to a field goal on the first drive, a not great but far from tragic start only to get put back out on the field having to defend a short field caused by an INT.

The defense should have been able to close the game out but the offense and special teams put them on short fields in the first half

The Offense needs to score more than 25 to win if the D and ST get rolled. 

Edited by Dr.Sack

4 hours ago, LifeLongBillsFan said:

Would be nice to have a reporter actual ask real questions.  But the press is just asked the same BS - they have the same scripted questions when we lose

if a reported came out and asked these questions they would move let them

back to the PCs

The local press functionally can’t ask tough questions because if they do, they lose access to players/staff in retribution. It’s why only national media can be aggressive. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

This a good point. I think if Bass had made that one FG and you were a FG wins, then you do burn clock. Being that you were down 18-22 you a zero margin for error, and scoring a TD was the right decision, regardless of clock. And you prefer a 2nd and goal from the 1’ line. 

The Offense needs to score more than 25 to win if the D and ST get rolled. 

Yesterday was the first time the Pats had scored over 20 all season. If the D had kept them to the mean, the Bills would have won. The Eagles would have won scoring 21, the Dolphins 18, the Jets 16, the Cowboys 4(!), the Saints 1(!!), the Raiders 18. In reality, the Eagles scored the same number of points as the Bills did yesterday, the Dolphins one less and the Raiders four less. Even with a weakened defense, 25 on offense should have been enough.

6 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The question was specifically about the offense. So yes, his answer was also specifically about the offense. Before questions even started he pointed out all the flaws in the defense yesterday and said that it all starts with him. I get people are upset, but just making up narratives to fit your agendas is odd.

9 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Do you really think he’s going to call out Dorsey and/or the players in a press conference?  THAT will be the fastest way for him to lose the locker room, not covering for people.  McD is a process guy, so whatever problems they’re having, his foundational belief is that they need to work that much harder this week to fix the issues, versus something he says in a press conference actually fixing the issues.

For instance, the OL has looked horrible recently, so yea he could point that out in a press conference, but it’s going to potentially alienate guys on the team, look to some like he’s deflecting the blame, etc.  The best way to calm the critics will be to start winning again.

Until we lose again in the playoffs,  due to more conservative short-sighted and nonsensical situational football decisions; like not burning clock before their last touchdown.

6 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Aggressive? Maybe

Personal? Not a chance, my guy

Posters have the right to be pissed off at McD because he's not getting it done. It's one thing to lose to the top teams with the franchise QB...it's a whole different story when you get beat by Mac Jones.

And speaking of comments...the whole coach/team lifecycle thing comes across as nonsensical, excuse making. This team fails to meet expectations every season, and the talent has been there. The elite QB play has been there, and the defense has been there. 

It's the coaching that has let this team and Bills fans down. 

It’s not nonsense. This happens in all sorts of sports all the time. Teams whose legitimate expectations are to win a Super Bowl, who get close over and over again without winning, often burn hot, flame out, and staffs get replaced. 

When the margin for error for teams is win the Super Bowl or you fail, and you are constantly operating in a space where you’re always falling short. Teams rack up years of negative credit while being very good; but the “bad credit” adds up and things fall apart. 

This is one of the most impressive parts of guys like Harbaugh and Carroll. It’s really hard to be very good for a long time without burnout. You rarely see it elsewhere because athletes graduate and rotate out. But it’s real. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.