Caleb Williams demanding part ownership

CDogg20

1 minute ago, Nostradumbass said:

I don't disagree with it

No offence to NFL owners but a drunken organ grinder could run an NFL team to profitability 

Franchise QB's create immense value, why shouldn't you ask for a piece of equity

prove he is a franchise NFL QB first and he might have an argument 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

Caleb is a good kid. Went to Gonzaga College HS in DC. Great leader and all around great person. You’ll like him when he gets to NFL. Who knows what he will do in pros but I’d suspect he will crush it. 

I’m sure that he’s a great kid, but no rookie should be asking for that kind of request

Prove that you belong in the NFL before you make a request like that

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

2010 #1 pick (overall) rookie Sam Bradford held out of spring OTAs and demanded an (at the time) epic deal - 6 year, $78M, $50M guaranteed.  That led to the roookie wage scale, where nowadays rookies pretty much have standard deals with only a few points to negotiate.  They pretty much needed this, with free agency driving 2nd contracts up.

I don't think any of the owners wish to go back to the days when an unproven rookie who had yet to play a snap could shake them down for an (at the time) massive contract - not unless the salary cap and free agency operate differently.

It's not about what he thinks of himself - no problem with asking for what you want.  But he has to realize that there's a collective bargaining agreement, and part of that negotiation was the rookie wage scale. 

Which does not include ownership options.

I think a team will still draft him, the same way the Bills drafted Jim Kelly.  Then his choice will be, play for that team after signing the rookie wage scale contract for his draft position, or sit out.

Immediately I thought of Bradford completely agree with you, my thought is how is gonna change his draft. 

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I would be very surprised if he goes undrafted.  I would be surprised if he drops in the first round.  Someone will go for talent, and bet on the league's lawyers and their own to straighten him out.

Its not about talent, a lot of teams give up on talent just to get rid of divas

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Haters gonna hate even if the report is true. I'm all for players asking for as much of the pie as they can get. The league is nothing without them.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Someone has been filling his head with nonsense.

I don't know anything about him besides this. I'm already looking forward to rooting against him.

He has been talking to @DrDawkinstein ?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, sven233 said:

There's no way this happens because it would lead to circumventing the cap.  For example, say Allen needs a new contract in a couple years.  If this was allowed, why wouldn't the Bills just say we will pay you a base salary of 100k and then give you x% of ownership in the team for a certain amount of years.  There is no way to calculate what that would be worth and you are not going to allow a team to have a 20k cap hit for example for a star player.  There is 0% chance this happens.

New England got away with it.

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I'm reporting that the Bills got special dispensation to have their salary cap $100 million higher than any other team.  I haven't confirmed it yet, but that what I'm reporting.  

Is it a coincidence that source in Albany was making up nonsense about Bills moving to Austin, Texass?

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If I was a GM, I’d take him off my board. What an entitled clown. I bet the guy is a massive bust

I’ve been concerned with his maturity all along. Painting the nails with F Utah. How does the coach allow that. At least with S Sanders arrogance it’s not as shocking since his dad is a narcissist. This approach by Willams and his handlers is incredibly unwise. I remember a certain mini qb now in Arizona who had some real red flags as well. While Williams is certainly very talented.. he’s pretty clearly a me guy. 

• Agree 1

If you end up with the number 1 pick you sit down with him at the Combine and you speak to him in depth. You go to his pro day. You take him out for dinner. You have him in your building for a visit. You do all the things you usually do before taking a QB at 1st overall. 

But you have to be really sure that this isn't going to be a true demand (does the CBA even allow it?) and that the kid is in it for the right reasons. If you are not you are in a difficult spot. Because if you pass on him and then he hits big you are done. 

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Are you making this up? Dude was terrible last weekend. 

Williams was not good at home vs Arizona either.  He’s good with his feet but seems a bit small and has an average NFL arm.  A slightly bigger Bryce Young. Seems massively overrated.

Edited by mannc
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

2010 #1 pick (overall) rookie Sam Bradford held out of spring OTAs and demanded an (at the time) epic deal - 6 year, $78M, $50M guaranteed.  That led to the roookie wage scale, where nowadays rookies pretty much have standard deals with only a few points to negotiate.  They pretty much needed this, with free agency driving 2nd contracts up.

I don't think any of the owners wish to go back to the days when an unproven rookie who had yet to play a snap could shake them down for an (at the time) massive contract - not unless the salary cap and free agency operate differently.

It's not about what he thinks of himself - no problem with asking for what you want.  But he has to realize that there's a collective bargaining agreement, and part of that negotiation was the rookie wage scale. 

Which does not include ownership options.

Perfect summary, saved me a post. 

4 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

I’ve been concerned with his maturity all along. Painting the nails with F Utah. How does the coach allow that. At least with S Sanders arrogance it’s not as shocking since his dad is a narcissist. This approach by Willams and his handlers is incredibly unwise. I remember a certain mini qb now in Arizona who had some real red flags as well. While Williams is certainly very talented.. he’s pretty clearly a me guy. 

Well.... George Kittle wore a F Dallas T-shirt... 😎

8 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

Per reports, Caleb Williams is demanding part ownership of whatever team that drafts him. I wanna hear what my favorite people gave to say about this!

Personally I think this could potentially destroy his draft stock unless he backs off of it. Absolutely ludacris to think that much of yourself

This guy is a worthless POS. I hope the Pats draft him

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If I was a scout / GM….this immediately makes me question if he really loves football or will get his $$$ and then TANK. It happens to many, especially high profile college QB’s

Also… USC QB’s in recent decades have been disasters in the NFL

There is already a report out that he said he could make more money at USC staying his sr. Year than in the NFL his rookie year due to NIL.

If you are key employee of a company, you get stock options.  That's the way it works in corporate America in good companies that know what they are doing.   It's a very very small %, less than 1%; I like it bc then you trade it off for a lower salary and cap hit.   

An interesting edea, Everyone is happy, team has a much lower cap hit and a lower salary , employee is more bought in bc the the better he plays, the more valuable the franchise becomes (in theory) and the higher the leagues ad revenue, which finds its way back the team and all players.  

I like it, esp for player second contracts where lowering the cap hit is really important. 

• Dislike 1

9 hours ago, chongli said:

Sounds true:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/aaron-rodgers-caleb-williams-were-among-the-players-jostling-for-equity

"Per multiple sources, the representatives of USC quarterback Caleb Williams had been making it known to prospective agents that Williams wants partial ownership of the team that selects him in 2024, if he declares for the draft."

representatives making it known to agents could be any family member talking off the cuff without any knowledge of what he’s really cool with. I’d say until the reports are his agent telling teams that it’s just an uncle mouthing off about what he deserves type of situation

48 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

This guy is a worthless POS. I hope the Pats draft him

There is already a report out that he said he could make more money at USC staying his sr. Year than in the NFL his rookie year due to NIL.

pushes his second nfl contract back a year though. And usc won’t beat that unless he’s a terrible bust

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, chongli said:

Looks like time for Paul Harvey's quote: "And now you know.........the REST of the story!"

It's also interesting the number of board members still posting that this is a possibility, long after it being disproven.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

Should this be factual, the kid is a knucklehead, likely it’s just teen gossip, 

This is old news from months ago before the NFL made it clear that it wasn't an option that started circulating again because of people like the OP who can't spare a second to confirm anything in their rush to post something that will get them attention. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm pretty sure the NFLPA agreement is that draftees salaries are predetermined.  All in dollars, not in property.  This is going nowhere.

Williams won the Heisman last year.  This year there are at least two QBs in the PAC-12 alone who are better.  Wiliams is by no means a lock on the first overall pick, or to be the first QB taken.  Chicago has the first two picks next spring, unless it or Carolina starts winning, and may still be clinging to Justin Fields as the future, in which case either they'll trade one of those picks, or not picks a QB at all.

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I'm pretty sure the NFLPA agreement is that draftees salaries are predetermined.  All in dollars, not in property.  This is going nowhere.

Williams won the Heisman last year.  This year there are at least two QBs in the PAC-12 alone who are better.  Wiliams is by no means a lock on the first overall pick, or to be the first QB taken.  Chicago has the first two picks next spring, unless it or Carolina starts winning, and may still be clinging to Justin Fields as the future, in which case either they'll trade one of those picks, or not picks a QB at all.

I see no way that after his 3rd season, if Chicago ends up at #1 or #2 pick that they can stick with Fields.  He has improved some this year, but if they are still that bad it would at least be in part because he isn't that good.  

11 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

Per reports, Caleb Williams is demanding part ownership of whatever team that drafts him. I wanna hear what my favorite people gave to say about this!

Personally I think this could potentially destroy his draft stock unless he backs off of it. Absolutely ludacris to think that much of yourself

Source : Trust Me Bro

also, even is this is somewhat true, why not ask? He has no say in what team he goes to unless he makes it difficult, like Elway and Eli. He basically gets penalized for being so good that he gets drafted to a crappy situation that can affect his future earnings. 

I love the draft but there are some real disadvantages for the players. 

Just now, cle23 said:

I see no way that after his 3rd season, if Chicago ends up at #1 or #2 pick that they can stick with Fields.  He has improved some this year, but if they are still that bad it would at least be in part because he isn't that good.  

No argument from me about Fields.  I've never thought he was that good.  He is making some occasional improvements, but in this league teams cut bait pretty quickly.

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

A ridiculous request

Agreed. It can’t happen in the salary cap era. I wonder if Florio is giggling at starting this mess. “Reports” is a bit too vague for me to spend any emotional energy on. Nobody knows if this is even true, but it’s taken on a life of its own. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.