Taylor Rapp: Have we found our future Poyer replacement?

Sammy Watkins' Rib

It was sometime in the late third quarter when I finally noticed #20 out there and had to remind myself who that was and why they were in the game. 

I really don’t recall hearing his name called all day. Since the entire Bills D seemed to have a really good D I have to imagine Rapp played well too. Stat sheet shows 6 tackles (second on the  team) 5 solo. 

He’s a UFA after this year. I wouldn’t mind at all another look at Rapp next week and letting Poyer fully heal up.

• Like (+1) 4

I wouldn’t be shocked if Rapp is signed to an extension in the next few weeks, he was brought in to be Poyers replacement. I’d love to sign Floyd too but idk yet whether he’s bought into the Bills family or he’s looking for a big payday

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if Rapp is signed to an extension in the next few weeks, he was brought in to be Poyers replacement. I’d love to sign Floyd too but idk yet whether he’s bought into the Bills family or he’s looking for a big payday

Extending Rapp and especially Floyd is a definite must.  This will absolutely be Poyers last season. 

• Like (+1) 6

32 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I would not be opposed to that but Bills are close to the cap and would need to be structured so it does not cost a lot this year.

It is also sensitive since according to Rapp Poyer has been teaching him and I do not think Poyer is ready to hang his cleats.

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It was sometime in the late third quarter when I finally noticed #20 out there and had to remind myself who that was and why they were in the game. 

I really don’t recall hearing his name called all day. Since the entire Bills D seemed to have a really good D I have to imagine Rapp played well too. Stat sheet shows 6 tackles (second on the  team) 5 solo. 

He’s a UFA after this year. I wouldn’t mind at all another look at Rapp next week and letting Poyer fully heal up.

That's the nice thing about being a legit contender with a qb like Allen.  Guys will be happy I y to audition for a longer contract on a good team.  And if he clicks in McDs scheme then we can use the draft to grab high ceiling rookies for the trenches preferably mainly on oline until we have a top oline that is young and has many future years together and becomes  the foundation that gets us to several Super Bowls with Allen and company winning the big ģames and removing that stigma from Bills history. 

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Rapp needs to be extended immediately!! Rapp is a hitter and has good speed. I'd like to extend Leonard Floyd too. The secondary didn't seem to skip a beat with Rapp back there

Daquan as well and AJE. 

Can't keep em all though. Thank God we cut ties with Boogie

Edited by JerseyBills

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Extending Rapp and especially Floyd is a definite must.  This will absolutely be Poyers last season. 

Don’t forget extending Daquan Jones.

Oliver gets most of the attention in the middle but Jones continues to tie up double teams and is a difference maker.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Rapp needs to be extended immediately!! Rapp is a hitter and has good speed. I'd like to extend Leonard Floyd too. The secondary didn't seem to skip a beat with Rapp back there

Watch the long Achane run as Rapp overran play, then had to dive and missed tackle.  Also bad play on Waddle catch on sideline as late getting over.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

To answer your question, yes.

4 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Wow.  Lots of hot takes from one game.  Let's maybe see him play a bit more first.   

This. He was one of if not the worst graded player week 1, didnt see grades for other weeks. Takes a lot of poor angles and seems to be late in coverage, not a fan of his run defense so far. 

It's odd that people are wanting him extended because they didn't notice him out there.

Edit. It's PFF so take it how you want but they have him graded as a 38.3 for the first three games, that's bad. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm really liking Floyd!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Rapp is a guy you are happy to have as a low cost chess piece, he’s not really a starter at any position.  I think S is a big need in the off-season, PO is shot, Hyde is long in the tooth and a FA, there’s not a legitimate replacement for either of them on the roster.  I don’t want Rapp back here on any big money deal, you can roll Neal out there and be in the same spot. 

Hopefully, Hyde stays healthy and we can get him a new 3 year deal (on paper) that is basically a one year guarantee and a reasonable cap hit for year 2, with a clean break after that.  Replace PO in the draft or FA.  Look at mid to late round prospects to bring along as a Hyde replacement this year and next. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Rapp is a guy you are happy to have as a low cost chess piece, he’s not really a starter at any position.  I think S is a big need in the off-season, PO is shot, Hyde is long in the tooth and a FA, there’s not a legitimate replacement for either of them on the roster.  I don’t want Rapp back here on any big money deal, you can roll Neal out there and be in the same spot. 

Hopefully, Hyde stays healthy and we can get him a new 3 year deal (on paper) that is basically a one year guarantee and a reasonable cap hit for year 2, with a clean break after that.  Replace PO in the draft or FA.  Look at mid to late round prospects to bring along as a Hyde replacement this year and next. 

I'm not signing him to an extension mid-season when he hasn't played well.  A lot of good players here who might benefit from being a part of a better unit.  Poyer came from nothing, Hyde wasn't even a fulltime starter in GB and they saw something in him.  Someone like Chinn who's struggling in carolina could be a good fit in buffalo.  Dugger from NE might be a fit.  Could try a 1yr fill in and try chuck clark off an injury. 

I'm in the same boat of looking to move on from both potentially, but also being open to their return.  Poyer less so - he doesn't seem to be playing as fast as he used to.  But it's week 4 and there's a lot of football left to play, and when he's on he's among our best defensive players.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/safety//

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

He's Von's boy.. he isn't going anywhere, IMO 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I agree with you here.  Elam's issues and Tre's injury make moving Benford to S next year unlikely so a S in first 3 rounds almost a given.  Rapp was never Poyer's or Hyde's equal in coverage.  The value of Hyde and Poyer were they were low cost FAs when initially brought in who served as interchangeable parts in coverage for their first 5 years.  Injuries and age have taken their toll last year and so far this year. 

Can see this offseason as when OBD moves on from one or both and I personally don't see Rapp as a long term answer for either.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I’d extend Floyd and Rapp.  Floyd more urgent given that drafting DL takes longer than DB to develop. 

Floyd, Rapp, and Jones. It’ll be tough to bring all 3 back.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

He had two tackles where he wrapped one leg up by the ankle and refused to let go.

There was another sideline play where he came in and put a nice lick on the receiver who was covered by a CB.

I like the kid!!!!

I was worried he’d play out of control. No basis for this but he definitely did his job yesterday.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Plus he's only 25 years old.

he can work on his next contract with the Bills throughout the year.

I might prioritize Floyd,
But he has earned it already , where Rapp is still figuring it out

Making very good plays and a few not so good ones. But i do think he will work out just fine :) 

• Like (+1) 1

Unlikely. He's a major coverage liability that will show once he's a a part of the offensive gameplan. He's a 5th year journeyman and is what he is at this point imo. I expect safety to be a high priority draft pick over the next year or two with possible placeholders like Rapp coming here on short deals as we try to stay competitive at the position. There's a chance we make FA signings for guys on the rise like Poyer and Hyde were, but I don't put Rapp into that category.

15 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Need to see him a bit more obviously but yes I think he should be seriously considered for extension

I'm not overly confident in him just yet. He seemed late on a few plays yesterday, and there were times pre-snap when I was watching Hyde trying to communicate with him because of what appeared to be confusion.

Let's see after a few games if teams pick up on his weaknesses on film and start attacking them specifically.

25 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Right? I didn’t notice him much, which is usually a good sign but Poyer is an all-pro. No need to rush to judgment 

This.

I felt like he was a bit slow getting to his deep coverage responsibilities on a few plays and Po was always great at closing ground. In our system that is what we need from our 2-deep safeties. Need to see if he just needs more time in the system so that he is not processing his responsibilities but playing at full speed.

Need to see more before I would think he should be their long-term answer. 

I think they will try to re sign Rapp to a deal because lets be frank, it looks like Jordan is done. Father time has set in. Doesn't look like it has set in yet for Hyde from a physical standpoint. 

Rapp and Hyde next year, draft a young guy early to replace Hyde. Thats the best situation for the future. 

9 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

Don’t forget extending Daquan Jones.

Oliver gets most of the attention in the middle but Jones continues to tie up double teams and is a difference maker.

If it comes down to Daquan or Rapp, I'm extending Jones first.  Floyd is a no brainer. As others have said let's wait some on Rapp and see what we really have.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.