Stopping the Miami Offense (and Tua the wizard) - Lets hear the ideas.

Chaos

(1) press coverage, bump Hill off the line, bracket Hill with a CB (who bumps Hill) and safety help over the top.  

(2) pressure that comes from various places on Tua.  

(3) Groot and Lawson will need another good game of run stopping.  

Offense: 

(1) a WR other than Diggs needs to step up

(2) if we have a lead, run the ball.  Make MIA stop that, then play 2 TE sets to setup mid range passes and a few long passes thrown in.  

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

I love basketball and appreciate that the best point guard doesn't have to score any points.  So far in three games, its hard to argue with T"ua the points guard's" results.  So the question is how should it be stopped.  

So far three professional NFL DC's did not have the answer.  I am sure I don't.  But I will start with a question/proposition:

I keep hearing how Tua is getting rid of the ball so quickly, that no pass rush can be effective.  If I assume that to be true, then why pass rush with more than 3 and just play 100% Dime.  The last thing Tua wants to do is run so we don't need to worry about that.  Seems like this might force Tua to wait for plays to develop, which is not what he seems to thrive.  Make Tua beat us deep. 

He averaged 201 yards a game last year against us.  I think the staff already knows the answer 

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Use Groot and Epenesa’s length in coverage underneath.  Pressure up the middle 

Maybe give groot some snaps in the middle too and focus on a quick blast against his guy, followed up by hands up. Tipped balls to jack up his timing and 2 LBs with a nose for ball

Just now, Chaos said:

Hope you’re right. This is not the same dolphins as last year though

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not gonna be an easy task, but we’ve done well against them and it’s mostly the same team on offense especially.  

Keep in mind, they scored a ton vs Chargers and Broncos, two atrocious defenses.  They didn’t go off as much on the Pats, a tougher defense than those other 2.

Our defense is allowing just 9.6 pts per game right now.  

Miami scored only 20 when we were missing our entire starting secondary and interior D Line last year.  

I think Broncos game was so crazy because not only do they suck, but they were dealing with the he heat index.  

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

This may sound crazy, but…. Cover zero, play the corners close to the line, bump their receivers close to the LOS, take away the short yardage plays, delay the deep plays (even by an instant), rush five, and get to Tua as fast as ***** possible.  

In three games, Tua has only been sacked once (by Judon) He’s been waaay too comfortable. 

Cover 0 will be a big part of the game plan in red zone I think, perhaps even zone man combos on the bills side of the field 

It's a pretty amazing offense but I think people really need to consider how much of a trainwreck Denver is. Maybe historically bad considering that they threw a new QB and coach at the mess. That team straight up quit today, and it wasn't the first time in the past two seasons. Denver is an absolute dumpster fire. If the contrarians can hedge their opinion on Buffalo due to them only beating Howell and Jimmy G, then I can absolutely do the same when the Fish hang 70 on quite possibly the worst team in the NFL. Denver needs to stop getting a pass as a competent franchise, people have been completely wrong about them for 2 years now.

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Do what NE did.  The Bills have a better D and a much better O then NE.

This. 

I don't know if we will beat Miami but it will be a close game just like the last three have all been 3 point margins of victory or less. Bills have a significantly better offense than the last two teams Miami has faced. We can give up over 30 and still beat Miami. But if New England can hold Miami to less than 30 than that should definitely be our goal as well. 

Call pass and put your hands up. Jam the wideouts that don’t motion and double the motion receiver. Take some chances and guess a little in coverage. Tua has the fastest time to release and the deepest depth to target. The rush will not be effective. Hands up. Jam receivers. Play for the hope of some mistakes. And, the O has to score! We are home. A loud crowd can mess with the Fins calls and checks. This should help, too. We have to be loud.

• Like (+1) 1

After enjoying the week due to today's victory and watching all the media go crazy...................I will leave the planning to HC/DC Sean McDermott.

I'll be planning and preparing Beef on Weck (gravy NOT au jus) mashed potatoes and sweet and sour red cabbage for halftime.

Next Sunday's GDT will be one for the record books, no matter what happens.

For all you that are attending the game, have fun you lucky bastards.

Go Bills!

4 hours ago, buffblue said:

Agree with the first part. Not convinced making them one dimensional is enough though. We must somehow disrupt Miami's clean releases off the line as well. I'm a bit scared with our ancient back line

I wasn't saying it is enough. But it allows your linebackers and Taron at the second level to play free and fast flow if they don't need eyes in the backfield. That gives you men to flood zones and take Tua's first read away forcing him to hold the ball.

Dress Elam. More speed in the defensive backfield should help.

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Not looking forward to this buzzsaw.

I wouldn’t be if I were you, either. Josh Allen and the Bills have had your teams number for quite some time now.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

Ok, people are going to hate this: see the snow game in 2022. The weather wasn't really a factor until the 4th quarter and the premise is the same: 

Light box. Contain Hill and Waddle and prevent them going over the top. This will lead to being gashed in the run game. Stuck with it. Force Miami to play slow and deliberately. So far they've been trying to track meet every opponent they faced. The Chargers let them because they're the Chargers and they Chargered it. NE succeeded and held the Phins offense but have Mac Jones as a QB. I don't know what the Broncos are.

I'm not saying they're a solved problem but the Phins are mortal. There have been flaws to their game but have not played opponents who can take advantage of them. It's going to be a tight one. 

• Agree 1

I hope the Bills front can get after Tua the way they have gotten after everyone else. I think that's their only chance. Secondary just can't keep up with the Cheetah. 

I have to tip my hat to the Fins. I was a firm non-believer in both Tua and McDaniel, and they are really tearing up the league. 

11 hours ago, Chaos said:

I love basketball and appreciate that the best point guard doesn't have to score any points.  So far in three games, its hard to argue with T"ua the points guard's" results.  So the question is how should it be stopped.  

So far three professional NFL DC's did not have the answer.  I am sure I don't.  But I will start with a question/proposition:

I keep hearing how Tua is getting rid of the ball so quickly, that no pass rush can be effective.  If I assume that to be true, then why pass rush with more than 3 and just play 100% Dime.  The last thing Tua wants to do is run so we don't need to worry about that.  Seems like this might force Tua to wait for plays to develop, which is not what he seems to thrive.  Make Tua beat us deep. 

Yes I agree that rushing 3 makes sense but the Bills need to play tight coverage with 2 guys around Hill all the time.  Let the others beat them 

12 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I really think we have him just focus on Tyreek while he’s inactive 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills were saving Elam for this game. Not that he's better than those who've been there, but he'd be well rested and might be uber motivated to play his man exactly as he's been coached. I think it's highly likely he gets a jersey this week.

If I recall correctly the first game against the Fish last year, we were missing both Hyde and Poyer and had Hamlin and Johnson starting at safety and were starting two rookies at CB.  And we pretty much held their passing game in check.  I would do what was done last year.  I would play Elam in this game as he has the speed to keep up with either Hill or Waddle if needed.  

• Like (+1) 1

Hold the ball, time of procession. Then play your regular defense, when you try to get cute it does not work. Back in the 1990"s when they played the Oilers run and shoot offense they tried to add extra DB's and it didnt work. defense and killed them. So at halftime they switched to there base 3-4 feJust be yourself and play.

Edited by Kellyhero68

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.